Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happyintexas

Oven opinions, please

happyintexas
10 years ago

We are wanting to replace our current wall oven with a sharp looking, hard working stainless steel choice.
If you do a lot of cooking what is your favorite oven? (And, yes, I asked over on cooking...looking for more opinions. Plus, I think you guys know everything!)

A lot of reviews I read of many brands talks about a loud cooling fan...what do you know about that?

Thanks for any and all opinions!

Comments (10)

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

You checked on cooking but did you check on the appliance forum? We have a ge convection wall oven with advantium speed oven. We've been quite happy with the purchase. However, I've seen better looking options.

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

Did you check the kitchens forum? That's where I'd ask for opinions from people who are in the midst of obsessing about kitchen appliances!

• Georgysmom
    10 years ago

Just a lurker here but I have the G.E. Monogram double wall ovens. I've had them for six years and love, love, love them. I love the easy glide racks. No more struggling to pull the racks out and they can be left in when cleaning the oven. I spent many hours on the appliance forum when remodeling our kitchen. From my experience, you hear good and bad about every model appliance especially refrigerators. But my experience with the monogram oven has been very positive.

• maire_cate
    10 years ago

There have been threads on both the Appliance and Kitchen forums from posters who are unhappy with the cooling fan - either due to what they consider excessive noise or because it runs too long.

I have a Dacor double wall oven and the fans (cooling and convection) are exceptionally quiet.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I have a GE trivection which is fine, but I use my viking oven as my go to oven.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

When I was looking, the Appliance forum had good/awesome reviews for Electrolux, Wolf, and Gaggenau.

I ended up finding an older 27" Gaggenau on ebay for less than $900, so I jumped on it. I frickin' LOVE this oven. The side-opening door is really nice (look ma, no burns!). My roast chicken is incredible. It's an all-round, fantastic appliance. My cooking has been elevated, substantially, from the tiny 1984 GE that was there before. Love, love, love this oven.

This post was edited by alex9179 on Tue, Oct 29, 13 at 8:59

• lee676
    10 years ago

The Gaggenau would be my first choice if money was no object, largely for the side-opening door as well, although it also has an abundance of cooking options and just oozes high quality. The new ones with the soft-pushbutton door opening are especially nice. But money was an object, so instead I recently bought this $950 oven from Spanish manufacturer Fagor-Brandt, which offers up much of what I love about the Gaggenau for 1/4 the price. The side-hinged door lets me reach my food without leaning over or around a drop-down door, and the glide-out racks (a $440 accessory on the Gaggenau) make it even easier to insert or remove cookware - even installed below the countertop, I can reach the top rack without leaning downward. It also offers fast preheating, a convection mode, and several other cooking options. Several glide-out trays specifically sized to be as large as possible and still fit into the oven are included. It's quiet. And it cooks evenly and reliably. At 24" wide and tall, there's enough space left over when installed under a countertop for a 6" height drawer beneath the oven, convenient for cookware. The controls are mostly straightforward, and they have a quality look and feel, as does the door itself. There are a few design quirks, but overall this is an impressive effort for an under-$1000 oven.

I'd also consider the Gaggenau ovens if you can afford them - they're offered in several size configurations - not just a 24"w x 24"h but also 30"w x 30"h, and a double 30" oven. In addition to the features I already mentioned, you can get a rotisserie, pyrolytic self-cleaning, a heated pizza stone, a new iPhone-like high-res display, and much better interior lighting. Used Gaggenaus show up on CL and eBay frequently, especially the 24"/60cm ovens that have been sold for decades. They used to offer 27 and 70cm wide ovens, and used is your only option for these as they were discontinued a few years back in favor of the new 30"w ovens. These became available sometime in the '00s; expect to pay well upward of $1000 even for a used Gaggenau that's 27" or 30"w; a 24" can be found for less but check condition and features on these; I opted for a new Fagor over a used Gaggenau at only slightly higher cost, but the cutout sizes are the same in case I find a great deal online for the Gaggenau I really wanted. They also sell an excellent steam cooker that fits nicely next to their conventional ovens

{{gwi:1850275}}

I'll also rep for the GE 30"w, 30"h oven that fits two ovens into the space of a single oven, and as such is also easier to use because the doors are so short, even though they open downward. The upper oven is higher and easier to reach than the top rack in other single 30"w ovens, because the control panel is on rather than above the door, allowing the cooking cavity to be placed behind rather than below the knobs. These normally sell for upwards of $3000, but GE is discontinuing the GE Profile models with the "eyeball" shape for more conventional styling, but they haven't revealed what the replacement for this model will look like, or even if they'll be one at all, and for now they're offering $1000+ price breaks on the Profile 2-in-1. No matter what you choose for a conventional oven, a GE Advantium 240 volt wall oven makes a great second oven/microwave/high-speed oven/warming drawer/toaster. Incredibly versatile; I use it more than the "regular" oven... So fast; so easy to use; so tatsy! What's not to like? You give up intertior space for the over-the-cooktop versions that must fit between 24" deep rather than 12" deep ovens

If you want a single 27"w or 30"w oven, the Electrolux is first-rate and affordable, with quiet operation, open-door broiling, nice glide-out racks, excellent controls and lighting, and accurate cooking amongst their high points. The 30"w models (single or double) are available in their upscale Icon series that have large plate glass that covers the entire inside surface making them easy to keep clean (shown below) for a vista view of the food cooking within. The buttons on most of these go dark except when you need them, lending it a clean uncluttered appearance. You can also get a matching high-speed oven to place over a conventional single unit, or a warming drawer below.

Finally there's the 27" Frigidaire with the side-opening door, an unspectacular oven except for that feature and its low price. Available in black and white only, no stainless. It does have a convection mode, and it's the only currently available oven sith a side-opening door in the common 27" width. I've written about all of these extensively in the appliance and kitchen forums.

• happyintexas
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you, everyone!

I have not heard of some of these brands. I have much to research.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I love that Profile 2 in 1. How convenient!

• lee676
    10 years ago

Yikes don't buy the Fagor oven I raved about upthread - the company just went bankrupt.and will likely be liquidated. Just a few weeks after I bought one. I have no idea if the warranty will be of any use. Nobody's heard of them in the US but they were big in Europe, 5600 employees. Maybe I should have bought an oven from General Electric; at least they'll still be around next week.