Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sochi

A few cottage pictures

sochi
9 years ago

We moved our stuff in last week, finally. Still only 95 percent done, but livable. Thought I'd share a few pictures, more to follow soon. Thanks to all for your help. No shots from the bedroom, the bed hasn't arrived yet, so we've just got a mattress on the floor for the moment.

Haven't uploaded to Flickr yet, so will post a few times with pics, sorry.

My favourite shot of my favourite points blanket chair:

Comments (98)

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

Stunning! I can't wait to see more pictures.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

Aw I remember when that was just a gleam in your eye . Congradulations on a dream realized from this lurker

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

WOW. Add me to the list of people who think it is magazine-worthy.

And of all the things to ask about... I need to know. My eyes aren't the best, but are those little face/head planters on the kitchen counter? I want one!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Fabulous! Thank you for sharing. I cant' wait to see the rest.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

It's fabulous. I'm speechless. More pictures please!!!

• anitamo
    9 years ago

Perfection! Snuggled in the woods. ..wondering about the wildlife you'll have visiting you. Love the cabinets! What finish do they have? Great, fantastic vision!

• wannabegardnr
    9 years ago

I want to live there! How nice it will be to sit in that chair. Love it!

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

So peaceful. Thank you for sharing.

• jjam
    9 years ago

Don't know how I missed this before but it is absolute perfection. The wooded setting is perfect for this style; the house complements the breathtaking surroundings.

Thank you so much for allowing us to see it!

• mdrive
    9 years ago

omigosh! sochi, that is just crazy beautiful and serene!

i remember your posting the design idea some time back and to see this come to such incredible fruition is truly awe-inspiring!

thank you so much for giving everyone here a 'window' into your dream house!

• User
    9 years ago

That is quite wonderful! Very lovely.

• onedogedie
    9 years ago

Wonderful! Just gorgeous. Enjoy and do share more. I want to see the dining table.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I have to admit, the pictures brought a tear to my eye. What wonderful harmony with nature. The views, oh the views!

I can not WAIT for more pictures.

• 1929Spanish
    9 years ago

I echo the other comments. Beautiful home, excellent choices!

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

What else can I say that hasn't been said already? Incredibly stunning "cottage." I take it, that's the same thing as what we call a cabin in the midwest?

You still have that wonderful home with the kitchen that has the gorgeous walnut cabs, luna di luce/white macaubus countertops, green door, and round prep sink (which is why I have a round prep sink, btw), right? Two incredibly beautiful dwellings!

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you everyone, your comments are lovely and mean a great deal to me.

Cottage, cabin, lake house? I say cottage as that is how we refer to small, typically three season lake side houses in the woods around here. This place is in the heart of lake and "cottage country," so I call it a cottage, although it is a proper four season house. We will use it as a vacation home, until the kids are grown anyway. We will probably live there eight months a year then.

Marti8a, no magazines yet. I expect the architect will promote it though, perhaps in on-line publications or something. Probably not until spring. I will post winter pics, hopefully not for at least two more months though!

Tibbrix, thanks for that window washing tip, will definitely try that!

Sueb20, not a head planter, but a live edge planter. I will take a picture of it this weekend for you.

Anitamo, cabinets are painted, with a matte finish.

Cksquared, yes, still have that house too! Hope you're still enjoying your round sink!

I have a few more pictures. More Sunday or Monday if you like.

This post was edited by sochi on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 21:39

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The previous picture shows the metal siding better, a poor man's corten steel I think. The cladding will look quite different in a couple of years. The cedar will gray and the metal will rust.

You can see the deck on the east side here. It leads to a ground level patio. Smallish deck, much bigger would obscure the view. Still big enough to sit and enjoy the sound of falling leaves.

This post was edited by sochi on Thu, Oct 2, 14 at 21:34

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Someone asked about animals. Many birds of prey, song birds, wild turkeys, deer of course, beaver, otters, mink (a first for me), foxes. Probably no moose near here, although it is possible. I'm sure bears are around, but no reports of them from neighbours in years. They are keeping to themselves. Definitely Lynx, not sure about wolves, but they aren't far.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

More pictures? We'd like it a lot!

I remember the planning phase. It's so wonderful to see it's birth.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

What Pal said. :)

• justgotabme
    9 years ago

Sorry, it took me so long to comment, but I had to pick myself up off the floor.
    Wow! Absolutely WOW!

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Very interesting home, especially with the cantilever. I like the large window in the kitchen and the fact that you can get up close to the window and look out.
    My favorite pic is the view out the living room windows. I just love the autumn colors.

• dreamgarden
    9 years ago

"You need no additional artwork as you have Nature's Glory surrounding you with those amazing views."

I agree.

It is very nice.

May you make many happy memories here!

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I have been enjoying this thread for the past few days, meaning to look up cantilever (still struggle mentally with the concept). I'm the one who was standing back, arms crossed, looking at you sideways when you told us first what you were doing.

I'm enormously impressed - your siding is so very beautiful and natural and you transform a very modern concept into something of substance and beauty. Sochi - 3 cheers to you!! I will hope for more pictures as you transform the inside.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Superlative, Sochi! So nice to see your dream come to fruition. And is it just me, or was that fast?

Wishing you and your family years of enjoyment in your lovely perch.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Has the look of a tree house, nestled beautifully in the woods. It's a stunning work of art. Words can't do it justice. The peace must be phenomenal! Enjoy!

• nhb22
    9 years ago

Beautiful, but my heart is racing just looking at that cantilever. YIKES!

• bbstx
    9 years ago

âÂÂ¥

• loribee
    9 years ago

Holy cow, it's amazing!! Thanks for sharing!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

We recently went to the Philip Johnson Glass house and your house reminds me of it...he referred to all the windows as "very expensive wallpaper".

• deeinohio
    9 years ago

Love it.

• April101
    9 years ago

Yes, amazing and super cool. Wow....

• theclose
    9 years ago

sochi, just beautiful. That's about all that needs to be said. That and enjoy every minute in your new cottage.

• LE
    9 years ago

Just recently, I was remembering when this house was in the planning stage (so few contemporary designs here, they tend to stick in my mind), and then, here it is! I don't come to the decorating forum much, since we've been more "nuts and bolts" until now-- my mind must be transitioning.

I love the feeling you get of being perched in the trees. Can't wait to see more! I remember when you were debating different ways to integrate the small kitchen into the dining area so that it would allow multiple cooks to participate (or something like that!) How did it all work out?

• Lyban zone 4
    9 years ago

Sochi,

Such a beautiful place to go to and relax.
    I love everything.
    Can you tell me what material you used for the backsplash.
    It is perfect.

• muskokascp
    9 years ago

Wow Sochi, wow.

It seems like just a couple of months ago you first mentioned the idea of building the cottage in the woods.
    And here it is! Already! Colour me impressed with the time from start to finish and all the in-between decisions that had to be made.

The Hudson Bay Point blanket chair - love!

It is lovely. Serene. Peaceful and beautiful.

• westsider40
    9 years ago

Sochi, you have the most beautiful houses ever. Superb vision.

• citywoman2012
    9 years ago

Just saw your "cottage".

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Don't know what to say. Just amazing!

• Pipdog
    9 years ago

stunning, sochi. What can I say that hasn't already been said...it's perfection.

Your kitchen design is brilliant -- it allows for the incredible outdoor setting to be the focus.

Any chance that your integrated hood in your kitchen is the Miele?

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks again everyone. Westsider -wow, thanks. Just back in the city now, back to the cottage in a few minutes, we are all loving it.

Pip dog, the hood isn't Meile but a Faber Cristal 30"

Lyban, the backsplash is just back painted glass, a soft BM green.

Lori_inthenw it is really a one person kitchen for cooking, but the fridge is easy to access without bothering the cook, prep can be done on either side of the peninsula or on the DR table. I find it very functional and pleasant to work in. You can have someone cooking at the cooktop, with prep to the right, while someone does dishes.

AnnieD - thanks for the comparison, wow! Very expensive wall paper indeed. Happily I don't feel too exposed, even at night. Phew.

Newhomebuilder, the cantilever really isn't too scary in person!

Mtn, it didn't seem fast to me! About 12 months from breaking ground. It was supposed to be done by early summer, but we had a brutal winter and fell behind. Plus the place was essentially built by only 2-3 people (tiny team, one guy since framing was complete), so it took time.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

sochi, I'm going to bug you for some siding and flooring details in another thread just in case my request gets buried here in all the praise of your gorgeous home!

• rockybird
    9 years ago

I LOVE IT.

I think the lights look great but I can understand how you might want matte finish to go with the cabs. LOL I have the same lights and now I am studying them to see if they are too glossy.

I cant wait to see more pics!

Congrats on creating a spectacular home!

• texanjana
    9 years ago

Absolutely stunning!

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Amazing. If it were me, I would have a hard time waiting to make it my full time residence. :)

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

boopadaboo - we are thinking about it! We will see after this winter and we assess the length of the winter commute to schools!

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Sochi, mind if I ask what kind of interior doors you chose? I'm waffling...

• StellaMarie
    9 years ago

I can't help but chime in and say what's already been said so many times -- I love it. It is just perfect. Truly, very well done -- and I hope you get years of enjoyment out of it!

• sochi
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kiwigem, I missed your question, sorry, I was away for a few weeks.

Nothing special for the interiors doors, plain slab hollow doors. We opted not to get anything too pricey. I'm regretting that decision a bit for our front hall closet, I may upgrade those before too long.

Thanks Stellamarie!

• voila
    9 years ago

You must be soaring. Over the river and through the woods.