Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deegw

What makes a lamp "good"?

deegw
10 years ago

I think I have a pretty good eye for picking out "nice" things but for the life of me can't figure out why some lamps are $79 and others are $339. I know that a designer name or superior material will cost more. But what makes the gourd lamp at Lamps Plus worth $300 more than the gourd lamp at Target?

This post was edited by deee on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 20:46

Comments (21)

• chucksmom
    10 years ago

Often wondered that myself. I have a friend who firmly believed that the Rubbermaid dish drainer at Bloomingdale's was much better than the same drainer at K-mart. No clue why but she still thinks that way.

• ineffablespace
    10 years ago

Usually you can't put more than a 60 watt bulb in the cheaper lamps. The more expensive ones often have three-way switches and can take up to 150 watts. Sometimes they have better shade holding parts, too.

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

Target has lamps with 3-way switches, so I don't think that's the answer, at least in all cases.

I have lamps in my house from Target, Home Goods, Lamps Plus, Restoration Hardware, Hubbardton Forge... I don't notice any different between them in the way they work in terms of function (almost all have 3-way switches), durability, etc., at least so far. I don't know if you could take a casual look at my Hubbardton Forge lamp and know that it cost 7x more than my Target lamp.

I bought my HF lamps because I wanted them to be the same metal finish as my HF sconces in the same room.

I bought my bright turquoise Target lamp because it would be a fun addition to my office. It's kind of trendy and I don't expect it to last forever, but who knows?

I've bought lamps for cheap at Home Goods when I only liked the base, but the shade is either ugly or really cheap looking; then I buy a new, better shade elsewhere. That's what I did with my bedroom lamps. They had nice shapely black bases, but the shades were burlap-ish and had "Paris" printed on them. I swapped those shades with nice classic ivory ones.

One of my most expensive lamps is an indoor/outdoor lamp on my screen porch. Go figure. It is the least-used lamp in the whole house!

I will say that the floor lamps I recently bought from RH are very heavy and are just so pretty, I know I wouldn't find anything even close at someplace like Target.

• lkplatow
    10 years ago

That's a good question. I'm not sure. I would have guessed quality, maybe -- better wiring, parts, maybe made in the US. Except that the most expensive lamps I ever owned were articulating wall sconces from Pottery Barn. They looked great, but they, like my cheap lamps, were made in China -- nothing better about them vs my target lamps except the unique design. And to top it off, they didn't hold up and eventually one started smoking and smoldering and smelling like it was on fire one day while it was on. So my most expensive lamp is the only one that has ever actually tried to burn my house down -- figures.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I have swing arm lamps from cheap store in my bedroom...the metal is thin and the finish less than perfect and the arms don't sit quite straight and they are wall mounted with cords hanging and the shades are of nondescript material, and the finials are plain. The material the socket is made of is relatively flimsy.

I have expensive swing arm lamps in my library that I bought from the lighting store. They are hard wired, the metal is very heavy and well finished and polished. The arms are very straight and move smoothly, and the finial is nicely shaped. The shades are of a lovely fabric in a graceful shape that are well stitched and nicely lined. The socket is substantial.

So there is a significant quality difference between them. I keep the bedroom ones though as they are touch on/touch off which is so convenient for turning them on and off while in bed.

But that is not always the case. I think that you pay a premium for a store name like PB and RH. That's fine if it's something you want that only they carry...but it's not always a guarantee of better quality...or what I mean to say is, the price premium may be higher than the quality difference is worth.

Most important though is the look. If you like the look, the size, the shape, the finish, the material, the color, go for it, regardless of price. Also consider the application...what you want too spend for your living room may be different from what you want to spend in the rumpus room.

One of these is $30, one is $130. There are differences...but it's up to you whether it's $100 worth of difference.

• rosie
    10 years ago

:)

I purchased a periwinkle blue glass lamp from a discount chain with a tiny chip on the bottom edge, almost unnoticeable, for $40, tag said retailed at $270. Yeah, right! Went home and checked for the real price. It was still on the market for $230 and up. It probably didn't cost $20 to make--modern all-glass style, NO base, no metal trim of any kind, no top piece, no special wiring. It was simply marketed to people who expected to pay that.

A real "worth it," or not, factor I've noticed in general is the quality of the base and top pieces. It's not too hard to find inexpensive lamps that have handsome, nice quality ceramic, glass, wood, or whatever bodies, but these days they are always mounted with junk. I have one I purchased for its nice blue-crackle body, but I then replaced the cheap sprayed metal pieces I could hardly stand to look at with solid brass purchased on line.

The wiring's standard, no worry that it will will catch on fire (!), but I (DH actually) added a three-way switch and I personally screwed on an upgraded finial. IMO, it's now very "good."

• Sueb20
    10 years ago

This might be my favorite lamp in the whole house. From Target online. Of course it's resin, or whatever they use to simulate "bronze," but it's got a lotta personality!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Hah! We put a flying pig weather vane on our outhouse, 'cause our house will be finished when pigs fly!

• chuey
    8 years ago

Is it possible and SAFE to replace socket & cord to make a 150 watt, 3 way?

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

I would have to think it's the material the lamp is made of. Real brass(not the shiny stuff), 'real' wrought iron, porcelain/china, and alabaster might be a few of the pricier finishes. Resins are the least expensive. And of course a name brand will always be more, no matter what the material.

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

A nice shade can add $$ to the cost. Most nice lamps have expensive shades.

I shop for shades at a locally owned shop, spending $30-40 for a candlestick lamp shade. The most expensive shade I've bought was about $150. Most of mine are silk and run around $90 for a normal size table lamp. I only have 2 new lamps in our entire house, the rest were bought at antique stores, made for me at the shop from something I've taken her or purchased from her after she made it from something.

• patty_cakes42
    8 years ago

Allison, I only have 1 new lamp, the rest are from antique stores. My favorite is a clear etched glass I have on the powder room vanity. The lamp was very inexpensive, and as you said, it's those darn shades that can cost more than the lamp, but make all the difference in the world. (I don't ever look at new lamps!)

• gramarows
    8 years ago

I love well made lamps. and also have had lamps made out of antiques. Some signs of quality lamps are superior or heavier grade metal parts- heftier solid brass or bronze rather than plated, etc.,or cast rather than stamped and the machining finer with smoother edges, and more detailing when applicable. May have thicker felted bases, be of limited production, or original design rather than a knock-off, have better proportions etc.

• tishtoshnm Zone 6/NM
    8 years ago

Chuey, Look for a lamp kit at Home Depot or on Amazon. It is possible and safe. There are many wonderful videos on youtube for making your own lamps with them or you can tweak a lamp that you already have.

• User
    8 years ago

My most expensive lamp is also the smallest. The base is porcelain, highly decorated in relief in several colors, with an unusual silk pagoda shade. I also have an ORB finish (ish) floor lamp from Target, purchased twelve years ago for a kid's room that is still working and looks good.

A lamp with moving parts has to be higher quality to work well over decades. For years we had a pretty inexpensive light on our piano to illuminate the music, and it wouldn't stay repositioned when the angle was changed. I bought a beautiful heavy brass piano lamp to replace it and it is a joy to use as it functions perfectly and it lovely to touch. Same with swing arm, wall mounted lamps......I have a couple on either side of a guest bed that were inexpensive but look fine and work okay. I had to buy decent shades for them separately. In another room I have four Visual Comfort lamps that were about $700 each and they are marvels of quality of form and function--- I LOVE them! And their shades did not have to be changed.

• amck2
    8 years ago

We were putting 2 kids through college when we bought this house. When we prioritized what needed to be done - putting in irrigation/lawn /landscaping/installing AC, etc, replacing the builder grade light fixtures fell low on the list.

I went with only can lights in the kitchen for 2 yrs. before I bought the Hubbardton Forge pendants I really wanted for the island. They were unique at the time, but I've since seen many knockoffs of the style in big box stores. There is something about the heft and artisanal finish of the HF fixture, though, that still sets it apart from those.

I also have a floor lamp of theirs in a style that has also become common. In a photo it would be hard to distinguish it from a knockoff from Home Decorators, but in person there's a difference.

In both cases the better glass and fabric shades are clear upgrades.

The island pendant lamps didn't work with the size/shape island in my remodeled kitchen but my DD will repurpose them in her remodel. Quality and craftsmanship in lights like that won't as easily be discarded for the landfill.

That said, I have a number of lamps from Target. Two candlestick style with new shades are on our MB night stands. They have 3-way switches and have worked well & the finish has held up nicely for 13 yrs.

• OutsidePlaying
    8 years ago

I don't know the answer, but I do know that I love lamps with a pull cord for switching on/off rather than a twist switch. I also look for good shades, but if you love the lamp, you can always replace the shade with better quality.

• User
    8 years ago

amck2, we have 14 HF fixtures in our 9yo house. They were not inexpensive when I bought them, and recently I looked up a few of them for a friend and they've only gone up - no big surprise, but I don't know that I would splurge that much today! You do get what you pay for though. They are handmade, extremely well made and are beautiful fixtures.

• rococogurl
    8 years ago

Lamp value has to do with the materials, design and surfaces and sometimes the maker. It depends on what the body is made from -- how valuable that material and fabrication might be. There are manufacturers like Circa lighting and Arteriors known for high quality (well made and finished) lamps and there are loads of contemporary/industrial lamp designers. Often, the cost is related to materials or the intricacy of the lamp's construction or licensing -- i.e. a designer's name used by a manufacturer. You pay extra, say for Philippe Starck's Miss K lamp due to the designer.

Mainly the value lies in what the body is made of how well the lamp is constructed and wired. Lamps that are artisanal --i.e. hand made -- can be expensive, especially if they are older or antique. F.ex. there were tons of gorgeous lamps made in France before & after WWII by artists who worked in various materials. Some materials -- like real bronze that's cast and is a living finish -- are rare in lamps today. The famous sculptor Giacometti had a brother, Diego, who made bronze lamps and coffee tables during the 1950s which are works of art. Those go for a fortune, obviously. During the mid-20th century lamps were fashionable and many artists and sculptors made them. You see those getting big prices due to scarcity value if they are in good condition.

But otherwise, I don't see why anyone would pay a huge price for a new lamp unless it has an unusual design or it's a special material. I buy lamps at local auctions and house sales because they go for very little and can be wonderful. But pretty much all my lamps are antique Chinese ginger jars which I've bought separately and had mounted. For me, those are "good," as opposed to a lamp with some type of simulated finish.

Shades can be very expensive and add to the value. There's a woman in Italy who makes crazy cool custom shades - Paola Napoleone. Older English lamp shades are so much fun with very eccentric shapes and ball fringe. Shades can be custom as well or even made to match. I have both silk and parchment. I now only use LED bulbs in my lamps because those don't get hot and that prolongs the life of shades dramatically.

• dilly_ny
    8 years ago

Think many times it come down to personal taste and aesthetics. I purchased expensive pendants from Hudson lighting. They are made in China. There are a few tiny pieces that keep the glass bulb cover in place. One has already broke.

When I inquired at the pricey shop where I bought them, they told me I had them for over six months so I would just need to buy a new one. To me this was not acceptable. These fixtures are controlled by a separate switch and are not touched except to change the bulb. For this reason I would not buy expensive fixtures next time.

At expensive lighting shop, I also saw very nice, wall mounted reading lights. I am so glad I didn't get them. Found something similar at ikea for a tenth of the price and they are perfect.