Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jos16eph

White Dishes

jos16eph
9 years ago

I have been looking for white dishes to compliment my renovated modern kitchen. I have tried various brands of plates and after a couple of meals you can already see scratch marks on the plates from the cutlery. My glass plates from the dollar store held up for years!! Can anyone recommend a good quality contemporary, simple line of white dishes? Much appreciated!

Comments (17)

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Corelli!

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

Corelle

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Crate & Barrel

• voila
    9 years ago

Take a look at Macy's online selection. I bought everyday, casual bone china after looking online. It is made by Gorham and has not scratched in a year of use. The funny thing is that I have trouble getting coffee stains out of the mugs, and have had to use some bar keeper's on the bottom at times. My dishes aren't contemporary, but Macy's has a large selection. Don't forget to wait for the sale days.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I bought my simple white china dishes from Home Goods.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

restaurant supply places. That's where I get my stainless flatware.

• rgps
    9 years ago

IKEA. Bullet proof and cheap.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

We have had Corelle plain white undecorated plates for almost forever. We bought them when our eldest graduated from college and needed many more decent plates in short order "right now" for the horde of relatives and friends descending on us. We still use them and most of the other plates have pretty much gone away via a whole slew of kids and porcelain tile floors.

The operative description is "clean". They are so plain they fit with everything and detract from nothing, especially the food. They go with any of the scads of tablecloths we have, are dead easy to wash, and have enough accessory pieces to almost never have a problem. It's smoother and harder than all that overpriced Dansk we use to get.

I think it's another case of plain-old-ordinary goods trumping the "special" stuff. Wish I could say the same for the cheap ugly thin flatware we bought, but that's all gone on too, towards helping various kids set up living arrangements. Everything works out.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I second Crate and Barrel. I've had mine for years and nary a scratch or dark mark on any of them. Great selection of pieces, not expensive, etc.

• edeevee
    9 years ago

I buy mine at thrift stores. Some of it shows scratch marks. some of it doesn't. I like the mix n matchiness of it, different patterns but all in white. It's goofy, I know, but kind of fun.

• sas95
    9 years ago

We have white plates from iittala. They are modern and great quality. Not cheap, but in the 18 months or so I've owned them, they have held up well. They do run 20% off sales on them a few times a year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Iitala Sarjaton plates

• oldbat2be
    9 years ago

I went down this road a few years ago and the kitchen forum was most helpful.

Here is a link that might be useful: White plates

• Sueb20
    9 years ago

I have Crate and Barrel plates that have no scratches. They're off-white, though, not white-white. Took me forever to find OFF white plates!

We also have some Corelle plates at our beach house and I agree with the other reviews -- they seem indestructible.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

edeevee, not odd at all! I have one matching set of dishes just for daily use, but I bought, mostly at TJ Maxx, dinner plates and their matching salad plate, each a completely different pattern and colors. They are stored in the sideboard my father made for me out of reclaimed barn wood, held in the dish rack he made for the side board. All the different colors and styles look so pretty. I get a lot of comments on them, and the dish rack for them. Whenever I have a dinner gathering, those are the dishes I use. I love the way the table looks with the eclectic collection of plates.

• clt3
    9 years ago

Target has nice white dishes also. FWIW, I found that Bar Keepers Friend was the only thing that would remove the gray silverware marks on some Denby stoneware that I have.

• gracie01 zone5 SW of Chicago
    9 years ago

Corelle! I've been thru many sets in my 38 yrs of marriage. I love, love, love my white Corelle.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

corelle