Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
anniedeighnaugh

No cost makeover

Annie Deighnaugh
10 years ago

We were supposed to have a solar open house in Nov, but now it's been postponed. Before that though, I wasn't sure I wanted a bunch of strangers traipsing around the house, so I said we can limit them to the lower level. But the music nook in the lower level hadn't been touched since we moved in and it was a mess. So we used this as an excuse to fix it.

Also, within the couple of weeks we started organizing the attic (more to do) but we were unboxing stuff from moving and trying to organize it...cookware here, glasses, there, lamps together, linens together, etc. In doing so, we uncovered a lot of stuff we'd forgotten we had.

We moved furniture in the nook, brought down lamps from the attic, found more books and tchotchkes for the book case, found pictures to hang and straightened it all out.

No before pictures, because it was so bad, I never took them. But here are some afters....neat, clean and minimal. Y'know, you get so used to seeing something, you don't see it any more. I didn't realize how bad it was until now that I've fixed it. What a difference!

Comments (13)

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh Annie it is lovely. You are a magic maker!

• bpath
    10 years ago

It looks lovely, and just think how much exercise you got going from attic to lower level umpteen time :) I still have so many things, pictures etc. to hang, and it's been 8 years! You know, things go into a closet and then...I need to go shopping in my closets! Should I sign up for a housewalk for incentive?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks guys. You're not kidding about the exercise...made me so glad we designed for 1 floor living.

And it truly was one of those things where, once it's done, it really didn't take that much time and why didn't we do it sooner?

But that's life.

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Beautiful! I love playing Keyboard. I'll be over in a bit. LOL

• chispa
    10 years ago

Annie, you might be just the person to ask, based on your photos! DS (preteen) wants to learn piano, but we aren't going to get a real piano just yet. Any suggestions for a full size keyboard that would be a good starter "piano"? Budget is not an issue, but always nice to get good value.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Annie, what is a solar open house?

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

chispa, I wish I could help...but I haven't played in years (that's why the music nook was a mess for so long). The keyboards are very, very old...one was Mom's. I really wouldn't know what to recommend today as the technology I'm sure has changed so drastically.

If you think he might want to progress, then make sure you get one with the keys full size, so he can learn an octave and stretch his fingers to play it. You might also look at one with all 88 keys, though that's probably less important unless he gets serious about piano playing. If you think he just wants to dabble, then electronic keyboards have a lot of advantages...they don't go out of tune, they are less expensive, they can be played with earphones so no one else is disturbed. But the disadvantages are that most are not touch sensitive so you don't learn the nuances of tone and volume and the feel of the keys, and you don't develop the strength in your fingers as you would with a real piano. And a real piano just sounds a lot more like a real instrument. Of course if his interest is eventually in organ playing then that won't matter, but he won't be learning the foot work that goes with the organ.

Also, the keyboards are a lot of fun, but so easy to cheat as they build in easy chord playing. But if you want him to learn the basics have fun and get an emotional outlet esp for his teen years (banging on a piano keyboard sure helped me out a lot!) then by all means.

Perhaps someone else is more up to date on brands and such.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

cyn, a few of the area towns are trying to encourage people to sign up for solar panels...if they get enough then they can get a volume discount making it more cost effective. They want to invite people to see homes that have solar installations (we have 5kw on our roof) and meet with the installers as a way to encourage them to sign up. Holding an open house is one of their marketing efforts.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Thanks, Annie. That is sort of what I was guessing. It is a good idea.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

Lovely as always, Annie!

Chispa, we just got a keyboard from CL. I wanted a real piano but DH has a thing about noise. . .we got the one in the link below. It is good for an electric piano, but I can tell it's an electric piano! Someday I'll get a real one and we'll move this one to the basement.

Here is a link that might be useful: Williams Overture

This post was edited by anele on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 1:12

• roarah
    10 years ago

I love free makeovers especially when they turn out so "harmoniously" ! Great job!

• teacats
    10 years ago

Wonderful room!!! Very cozy and charming!:)

No cost too!!! Music to MY ears!! :)

Well done indeed!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the kind words, ladies. I'm always amazed at how much energy, unknowingly, a mess drains, until it is cleaned up...and then how much energy it generates when it's done. Not just a visual but a physical relief.

Perhaps some of the most fun with my keyboards is the wide variety of sounds and rhythms you can get out of them....organs, violins, flutes, car wrecks, horns, synthesizers, etc. etc. You can spend hours just playing with sounds. Then the rhythms...disco to hard rock to waltzes and folk...amazing stuff. I can't imagine what they offer in today's machines...mine must be 12 to 15 years old already.