Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lov_mkitchen

1940 carpet

Does anyone make carpet like this any more? The antique rugs on eBay are $3 to $4 thousand.

Comments (67)

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

This is a 10.5' x 14 on eBay with a best offer available. It seems to be one of the micro-hooked ones, and may be out of the budget. You have to look at the close-ups to see the pattern. It may be too subtle.

Here is a link that might be useful: LARGE 10.5' x 14' Beautiful Antique Floral American Hooked Rug Room Size Carpet

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I have seen those type carpets in the carpet books at Lowe's they can order it so check there and other carpet sources I am sure online carpet stores have it too. Of course you would have to get someone locally to install it.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

Looks like a nice selection here, just Google Victorian floral wall to wall carpet for more options.
    Also check out http://www.touchofclass.com they have some beautiful rugs and carpets in florals. I get their catalogs.

Here is a link that might be useful: Floral carpet

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

A bunch of different floral pattern carpets here

Here is a link that might be useful: floral patterned carpet

• aiallega
    9 years ago

There are a lot of French Aubusson rugs made by Safavieh on Overstock that may be what you're looking for

Here is a link that might be useful: Aubusson rug

• LucyStar1
    9 years ago

Milliken makes floral carpet. Might want to look for a store that carries that brand. Here is a website that shows some of the patterns:

Here is a link that might be useful: Milliken Carpet

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

A few words about my carpet budget. I worked my whole life at minimum wage; often 3 jobs at once to support my kids. I retired two years ago knowing my finances would be very limited. I do pet boarding at my home which brings in more or less $1200 a year. That's what pays the upkeep/maintenance. My old house is not a "pretty" house. It was a house for the farmer and his family. I do have a pretty nice barn and other outbuildings that I use. I don't have cable/dish, cell phone, I don't eat out, smoke or drink. I do have pets and recently took in a starved horse. The nearest town has a population of just under 500. No stoplights! I don't know anyone with a granite counter top. I don't own a dress. I could not spend a thousand dollars on a rug even if I wanted to. So even though I'm on the right track now, I probably can't afford any of these. I will check Menard's store. I didn't see anything on line there that fit the bill. We don't have a Lowe's or Home Depot near me. I get tired of décor after a few years and change it. A thousand dollar rug will have to stay here forever. I could move it to a different room which is how I am able to change room décor so easily. There's my Oh, woe is me, story. But I am happy here. Glad I retired. Life is good.

my3dogs, I don't like it THAT much.

ravencajun, My talent lies in choosing the most expensive carpet on the site as the one I like best.

hoovb! Tears of joy! At least until I get some prices.

luvscritters, I haven't seen an Aubusson I didn't like! I gave up on them because of price. My room is 15x15 so it starts being over a thousand bucks. I would HAVE to keep it forever.

LucyStar1 Those are good! I'm afraid to ask for a quote but what the heck, they don't know me.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Kathy, when you compose a message there is an empty gray box at the very top of the new message window. You can add a picture from your computer there. when you do the preview it takes a few seconds or more for the photo to post into the edit window. If you don't need to edit your text then you can go ahead and send it.

• desertsteph
    9 years ago

mkitchen -
    I think a LOT of us here can't spend 1K on a room sized rug. I sure couldn't. I bought one about 5x7 at a 2nd hand store for 20.00 (maybe it was 10.00). I figured it'd be big enough for the middle of my tv room (it's 10x10). my tv is the old tube type. got it at that store for 10.00. I've had it 2 yrs now and it works great!

you can find some great things in those little 2nd hand shops if you look around. I don't get out to them anymore - but I don't really need anything either and I don't need to find something I WANT but don't need!

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

Yes, it's still being made for sure. I had floral carpeting in my condo about 8 years ago, most like the first picture, bouquet-like floral pattern. I was doing a shabby chic/cottage look, and the carpeting was a deep,sage green background w/burgundy- pink flowers. Unfortunately I can't remember the manufacturer. Keep in mind carpeting comes in 6'-12' widths, and you choose the length you need. Two ends would need binding, but it might be worth the cost.

Original Author
    9 years ago

desertsteph. THAT'S what got me in trouble in the first place! I found the little sofa I'd been looking for forever. A straight chair and rocker came with it. Eighty bucks. A hundred and seven to clean them. Stains that didn't come out and I don't like sitting on them without a blanket under me. Then one thing led to another and here I am looking at carpet. sigh........ I'm going to tell the people at the second hand stores here to remember me if any carpet becomes available. I have never seen any anywhere, ever. I'll watch the auctions and I put a wanted add on craigslist. It's getting harder and harder to buy old stuff. Seems like everyone wants what little is left.

I did find carpet at Menard's today. The pattern I liked the best doesn't have a color I would have chosen so I guess I'll change my mind about that. I'm going to see if I can find it cheaper at one of the web sites you guys gave me yesterday. I'm going to call the guy who laid my Marmoleum and see if he wants to lay carpet. Also ask him if he could bind it and I'd get a 13' 6" by 13' 6". According to Menard's the factory won't bind it. We shall see.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bianca garnet

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

The Bianca pattern is so pretty and I love the furniture set you bought. It is so charming. Something will show up that is affordable and perfect for you and look great in your room.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I found mine at an antique shop. I didn't want an expensive carpet so bought this about 5yrs. ago to use until I found something better. Turns out it's just shabby chic enough that it works. It's clearly been part of a room sized carpet because you can see the seams where someone did a "cut and paste". (excuse the dusty floor) I used to put it down over the winter only because I like bare floors in summer but for several years now I've left it down. Even tho it needs it again, I'm afraid to scrub it too hard or it might come apart!

Maybe check Etsy. They are a bit pricey now days tho.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Well I see what you mean about having a hard time finding what you are looking for. I did a search on Etsy - just vintage oriental rugs. Then I typed in vintage floral carpet and didn't see a thing except for photos pinned on Pinterest. You are looking more for carpet and not just rugs correct?

Original Author
    9 years ago

schoolhouse, either or. The floor under my wall to wall is, I'm sure, just the floor boards they put in when the house was built. As I recall they are painted. I would do an area rug if I could find one. If I could get the Milliken bound a room size would be fine and I'd cross the ugly floor when I got to it. OR -depending on final price carpet + installation- I would do the whole thing wall to wall again. I'm in Iowa. My house is 139 years old. It might be cold drafty floors. If wall to wall just the carpet will be nearly $675 so some serious thinking. The carpet I have now is only 11 years old but it has some stains from various pets and remodeling supplies set down without care being taken with the carpet. It's not terrible but when I put it in it was with the understanding that I'd get the best pad and not such great carpet so that I could change it someday. I hope this pad can stay if I do Wall to wall again. I'm going to call a guy about laying it and then I'll know what that is going to cost. I can't imagine he will do it for less than $100. Maybe I should say, I hope he will do it for $100!

• mary_lu_gw
    9 years ago

Schoolhouse....ooohhhhh...love that carpet. That is what I was looking for but couldn't find. I was hesitant to order on-line because of color variance and cost of shipping. Also could not find much at that time. Will soon be in the same boat again for the guest bedroom we are redoing. So I am keeping a close eye on this thread.

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

The brownish looking area upper right isn't a stain, just shadow; but there are a couple others that are dubious to be sure. Also there is a very light area where I bet it lay beneath a piece of furniture for years and stayed clean! I've cleaned it once with carpet cleaner from a can - was afraid to run a scrubber over it. There is no pad under it.

Also you can just make out a vintage runner in a different pattern on the floor by the side of the bed. My friend who runs the antique shop just gave that to me when I went back to get it. The staff know what I like and say, "Who but Christine would buy that". lol

I want to check out the carpet you'd like to get, lov,kitchen, which link was it under?

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

Picture of my Milliken...OMG did I really send a picture

Original Author
    9 years ago

Carpet to die for! Ya done good, Kathie!

Schoolhouse, I used the Menard's link. I'm in the midst of checking the google returns
    https://www.google.com/#q=Milliken+Carpets+%3A+Classic+Harmony+%3A+Floral+Lace

Here is a link that might be useful: Menard's

Original Author
    9 years ago

Schoolhouse!! If we pooled our money and shared 6 months each, we could have this!

Here is a link that might be useful: Oriental 100% Silk Floral Rug 8x10 Carpet Neutral Easy Match Colors

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Ok, I can see the Milliken at the Menards link. Not so keen on the dark backgrounds of those colors. The green isn't too bad tho.
    Kathie, yes I see your pic - that must look great in your house.

Oh yeah, the Oriental Silk Floral 8X10 is more my style. Just enough "lived with" look too. Thanks for posting.

Original Author
    9 years ago

schoolhouse, there are a few here running about three bucks a foot. You have to give them your email address and they will email the price to you. Only took a few minutes to get an answer.

Here is a link that might be useful: Milliken Carpets

• patty_cakes
    9 years ago

What I used to have is on the Menard's site, but the background was a darker. Maybe I shouldn't have said sage, but moss. It was very pretty with my furnishings, and wore very well.

Here is a link that might be useful: carpeting

Original Author
    9 years ago

I found this one on craigslist. It's 125 miles away. $35 but is the backing broken down and it will never lay flat? And the stains..........not quibbling about the $35 but if it's crap that's money down the drain that could go toward new carpet.

Here is a link that might be useful: craigslist carpet

Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't think I've posted this link before......it's starting to get confusing! These are a little higher price than Menards. Not a lot but it adds up.

Here is a link that might be useful: More!!

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

I think I'd have to see the Craigslist carpet in person because the seller mentions "thin areas".Of course what is unacceptable to one person might be totally ok for another. Could it be that it was stored away in a heap at some point, not rolled up, thus the large wrinkles? I'm surprised the seller didn't at least try to smooth those out. Looks like typical staining for these vintage pieces in lighter colors. Sometimes I wonder if the material itself is prone to sun damage among other natural causes (besides human and pets). Just curious.

If the wrinkles would come out, again I'd have to see for myself, I'm betting if it was in my local shop I'd buy it for that price. Then again, since purging is my new mantra I'd have to find a place to keep it until down the line when I could use it - somewhere, and that might be a deal breaker if those wrinkles don't come out. Did what I just say make sense? lol

And to be honest, the reproduction carpets really don't excite me like the vintage, tho more practical.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Those are my thoughts exactly. If it weren't so far I'd look at it to see what the backing is like. On the other hand, it's a bit bedroomy for my living room. Not that I wouldn't put it in my bedroom but let's get something finished before I take another room apart! I'm re-rearranging the living room. I have too much stuff. I need a storage room so that I can more easily keep everything and cycle it every time I need a change. I hope this "old stuff" craze is still in full force when I die. My kids will be millionaires!

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

lov_mkitchen..thank you so much for telling me how to do a picture, I was so confused about putting it in a bucket and resizing html etc.etc.I hope you won't be sorry now that I can do it...lol

Original Author
    9 years ago

Oh, my goodness, Kathie! What else do you have that I want? Just carpet? From what I saw of your house, I want it!

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

More Foyer?

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

Different view

Original Author
    9 years ago

Woodwork. Swoon. I don't have any that I'd want anyone to see.

• evenshade
    9 years ago

All my life I have always paid attention to the carpeting when I walked into a hotel. I'm a sucker for hotel carpet patterns. When I do a search for commercial floral carpet remnants there are lots of patterns that come up that remind me of these. Buy a remnant and have it bound? Just a thought.

Original Author
    9 years ago

evenshade, where do you find a remnant? The nearest store that even had the flowered carpet in a book was 40 miles away. A second store in another town said no one made that kind of carpet any more so I knew there was no point in going there. I did tell her they most certainly did make it. She's the same person who insisted Marmoleum was vinyl. Until I ordered it through her store she had never heard of it. This person is in the flooring business! God give me patience!

• schoolhouse_gw
    9 years ago

Do you have a Habitat for Humanity store in your area? I was just at ours yesterday looking for an old door for the shed, and they had a pile of carpet and remnants, rolled up of course so kind of hard to inspect one. I did lift the corners of some and there were patterns but not vintage that I could readily see. Who knows what is on the bottom of the pile.

Original Author
    9 years ago

After I got home from my carpet shopping trip I remembered not only did I NOT look at area rugs at Menard's, I didn't go to the Habitat store. I had a list of places to go. Habitat wasn't on it. I should just spend the gas and go to town more often. I always get tired of "shopping" before I get to the end of the list. And I had spent too much money on sheets and fabric for quilts we make at church. Both Salvation Army and Goodwill had more than I bought. I couldn't pass them up at cheap, cheap prices. Some poor lady with a bunch of kids hanging on her while she sits on a pile of rocks that used to be her house will appreciate the quilt more than I will appreciate the rug. And the poor old starving horse that I took in last month. Spent a hundred bucks on feed for him that day.

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

You sound like a totally lovely person doing such nice things for man and beast alike...blessings to you!
    Have you considered letting people know that your looking for a vintage floral rug...sometimes people have amazing things but didn't know someone was looking for it.
    Also, does your local radio station have a classified or swap show where you could advertise for free.
    Best of luck on your quest.

Original Author
    9 years ago

The radio station is one place I didn't think of. Will do that, thanks.

Not meaning to blow my own horn, just explaining how I can be so sure what I want/want to do and end up not doing it. So I spent a bunch of my carpet money on "good deeds". Big deal. Maybe while I regroup someone will have a genuine old carpet for sale and I will see it and we'll both be happy. It was a pleasant week's discussion about carpet, though! I had no idea it was even available until I posted here.

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

I can't remember why you wanted to cover the whole floor, so this is smaller, but thought of you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Rug

• AlfredWong
    9 years ago

There are different types and designs of carpets are available. If you want to buy this carpet you can visit to the shop mart, there you will get an excellent designs of carpet.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

It wouldn,t hurt to post a pic and advertise on craigs list asking if anyone has any they would be willing to sell. I know of two people in the last several years who tossed some out in excellent condition when they modernized thier homes for resale.

Original Author
    9 years ago

I have an add on craigslist. I refresh it often enough that it stays on page one of Wanted. I'm going to ask the local carpet layer if he'll keep me in mind if he tears anything out. I have found a new one, wall to wall, $1,000. I really, really WANT it. That's a lot of money to me.

• voila
    9 years ago

This is the closest I have found to vintage looking. Maybe you've already seen it?

Here is a link that might be useful: floral carpet

Original Author
    9 years ago

I don't remember if I've seen that one already. I must have; think I've seen every possibility out there. That one is worth a second look, though. I wish they showed a room view so I could see the repeat. I asked for a price quote and it's in my budget range.......$ 2.95per square foot. so $27 a yard. Still pricey but now that I've gotten used to throwing bigger numbers around it's not as breathtaking! By the time I actually buy something I will be immune to sticker shock.

I did see one at that site that I liked a LOT but it's really pricey. The problem is, the color of their sample isn't as pretty as you see here http://www.carpetexpress.com/chelsea-garden-pid-38820-72.html so I have to drive 100+ miles to see a sample.

I will probably have to get one from Menard's. The price is right - well, more right- but the background colors are not as right. Sigh.........I can't have it all, it appears.

Here is a link that might be useful: I WANT

• voila
    9 years ago

Here is another site showing that the floral lace comes in 25 colors. Still no room view, but I think this may be the pretty carpet Kathie has pictured above. That would be your room view.

Here is a link that might be useful: 25 colors

Original Author
    9 years ago

Apparently I have to be a professional of some sort to use the site?

Kathie, is that yours? Care to guess which color?

• Kathie738 P
    9 years ago

Hi,
    Mine is the Milliken Floral Lace in the Maize color...I don't know what the Maize 11 is but the picture in the message above mine is a different pattern (white carpet) Funny thing about ours was when the installers arrived they had the carpet in the cranberry color...absolutely beautiful, but it made the stairs so dark I was afraid someone would fall down them.
    DD was getting married in a week and we had no time to re-order Lowes made everything right in the end, and I have a nice big piece of carpet in cranberry but no place to use it as of now.

Original Author
    9 years ago

MY HOUSE!! Cranberry would work at my house!

• voila
    9 years ago

There you go! Standard shipping is not that expensive.

Original Author
    9 years ago

Without a doubt we live on opposite coasts!

Sponsored
2 Navy Lane, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars18 Reviews
Loudoun County's Leading Interior Designer