Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
66and76

Is this china ONLY for Christmas use?

66and76
9 years ago

I have 12 place settings of a discontinued Noritake bone china pattern called "Royal Hunt". It has images of pheasants, rabbits, deer with antlers, running hunting dogs, and pine cones on a white background. The outer bands are red and green plaid with a gold edge.

My question is: Can this china be used year round? Is it only for holidays--- Thanksgiving and Christmas? What do you think? Would it look totally out of place to use it in Spring and Summer? Or, should I limit its use to Fall and Winter?

I have several other sets of nice china. It just seems wasteful to pack this one up after one or two dinners per year.

Comments (28)

• 66and76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Another picture.

• jjam
    9 years ago

I love it and think it is the perfect Holiday China. I would use it and enjoy it for that purpose.

• rpets
    9 years ago

Wow - soooooo lovely!!!!! I think I would use this during fall & winter but put it away during spring/summer. maybe get some basic inexpensive white dish set for the spring & summer...?
    Again, tho, that is really one great set, so unusual (in a good way!!)

• 66and76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Close up.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

It does suggest fall/winter but I think with clever accessorizing it could work in spring/summer. I can visualize pastel linens and maybe not using all pieces in a setting. It would be fun to adapt to the season

It is very besutiful

• 66and76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. I think it is pretty, too. I sort of thought others might say it should only be used in the colder months or for Christmas. It wasn't described as a "Christmas pattern" when originally produced, but it certainly works as one.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

I think I saw some rabbits so it could easily be adapted for easter

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

The only challenge would be that in summer everybody is outside eating hamburgers served on paper plates. Mood is easy so I don't know that I would serve on such a fancy China but hey people celebrate anniversaries, birthdays, and may want to celebrate in elegant fashion even in the heat of summer

• 66and76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love paper plates for outside use no matter what time of year ;-)

Maybe I could use just the cups and saucers and salad plates for after dinner desserts in warmer months.

• bossyvossy
    9 years ago

Yeah, that's what I was thinking

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

The pattern to me is definitely a fall/ winter type look but it is such a lovely pattern I understand why you would want to use it more. I think you should use it to your hearts desire because life is too short to not use what we love.

We have always used china for every meal including breakfast but I would use my everyday china and use my good china for the holidays. I never used my good crystal except for the holidays but last night I broke with tradition. I will be using my Waterford every single day until I get too old and feeble to lift it. I made the decision to use the beautiful things that I love because each day of our life should be a celebration.

• Fori
    9 years ago

It's definitely not Christmas china! I could definitely see if being perfect all fall and winter--bet it's fabulous for Thanksgiving.

The varmints should be useful all year, until some kid starts looking at them at Easter and realizes the cute dogs are going to bring down the bunnies. :)

But really, I think it'll work year 'round but will take a little more thought with accessorizing than it does around Christmas. Hang an old musket in the dining room! Just kidding!! But it does make me think of those great old still life paintings with fruits and game.

It's a wonderful, interesting pattern and a great change from frilly flowers and dots.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.nga.gov/resources/snydersfs.shtm

• marcolo
    9 years ago

That is the most awesome china pattern ever. Obviously it's perfect all fall and winter. Early spring is probably a no. But summer is possible, paired with red peonies or cabbage roses. Think Ralph Lauren.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    9 years ago

It's fall and winter only but, hey, that's ok! You will have something beautiful to pull out each fall, another reason to love cooler temps!

• 66and76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

holly-kay, I LOVE your attitude! "I made the decision to use the beautiful things that I love because each day of our life should be a celebration."
    I think this is what I want to do. After all, china, crystal, and sterling silver are USEFUL as well as beautiful objects.

fori, PERFECT still life to reflect the "theme" of the china pattern. I wouldn't go so far as to hang it in my dining room, however. The bunnies on my plates are alive and happy. ;-)

marcolo, YES! That is what I need to do---coordinate with a flourish. You gave some great ideas for summer. I love cabbage roses. I'm glad you love the china.

Bumblebeez, I imagine the center of the table with large candlesticks, colorful leaves, cranberries, and a scattering of large acorns. Perhaps a woolen afghan for a tablecloth.

• Linderhof1208
    9 years ago

I think it could be used year round. It's not totally Christmas/Thanksgiving/Fall IMO! I have Royal Doulton's Tartan (green and red plaid) which IS my Christmas china but I bought it with the idea that I COULD use it year round if I wanted! So I think yours could too!

• lynninnewmexico
    9 years ago

That is a drop-dead, gorgeous china pattern, Pink! Coming from a Scottish family, I would love serving meals on those dishes. But, as much as I love the pattern, I would probably use them mainly in the Winter months myself. Then again, I'm a confessed dish-ohaulic, and was up to (I think) 16 full and partial dish sets before I cut myself off from that obsession (LOL). Still, it can be a satisfying creative outlet to have a few different options when setting a pretty table. With that set, though, you have "gorgeous table" all sewn up. Enjoy!
    Lynn

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 12:00

• User
    9 years ago

That is a wonderful china pattern, pinkpaula!! I am very partial to red and green together at any time of the year :-)

I would certainly use that china the minute fall arrives, probably all the way through Lent ---right up to Easter----regardless of your decor. If your dining room is very eclectic and Ralph Lauren-y, or simply all hunt lodge-ey / clubby like a Gorsuch catalog, I'd definitely use it year round. And I would use it year round if your basic color scheme, regardless of decor type, is red and green. I probably wouldn't use it year round in certain circumstances..... For example, if your dining is pink and gold, or other colors that make the china look incongruous.

I recently bought a " southern living for Ballard designs" set as a second set of everyday dishes. They are mostly white (with green and some red) featuring four plants commonly associated with Christmas. To me they look as botanical as holiday, but since our kitchen is white and green with red accents, I am using them year round without a thought as to their theme.

Again, your china is gorgeous!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I am focused on "I have several other sets of nice china." That being the case, where is the issue? If YOU want to (and just asking the question says to me that you do) then do it. It seems you have options, but prefer this set. It is your home DO WHAT YOU WANT!
    I would not have purchased this pattern. It seems to be telling people it is a one/two holiday set. I have one set that must carry me through the year. People with the space for storage and resources to afford several sets may lean toward a more obvious "Christmas" motif, this is more subtle so may have more uses. The curse of having many many pretty things is they have to take turns and that means we do without them for a time.

• eandhl
    9 years ago

I would use Sept- March easily. It is beautiful china.

This post was edited by eandhl on Tue, Oct 14, 14 at 10:05

• amck2
    9 years ago

There are few china patterns that speak to me, but this one does. I love it!

That said, I would most likely use it from Sept through April - here in NH we sometimes still get snow in April.

holly-kay brought up such a good point about enjoying our "nice" possessions every day. I recently packed up my entire home as all floors were being redone & all walls & trim were being painted. All my furnishings & belongings were moved to a pod/basement/attic.

It struck me when I was wrapping my glassware, dinnerware, serving bowls, etc., how long it had been since I'd seen some items, let alone used them. I've been making due for everyday with an old set of stainless flatware that after 25 + yrs. has only 6 of the original 12 spoons left (they're like socks that go missing in the dryer). I own 2 other good sets that I save for company meals. I only serve 24 once a year at Thanksgiving.

When I move back in, I'm definitely setting up the kitchen with one of the good, full sets.

• 2ajsmama
    9 years ago

I would go with that for Sept-Mar as someone said, even for family meals if you don't want to save it for company. But pastels go better for spring, and summer definitely seems more casual (even if you don't use paper plates).

I have 3 sets of Pfaltzgraff (made in USA, not newer Asian stuff). I started with a few place settings of the Winterberry holiday china b/c I loved it, and couldn't afford the plain white Filigree for every day. But a few years ago I got rid of my huge collection (yard sales, thrift shops) of Heritage that I'd collected over 20 years, and used the proceeds to buy Filigree on eBay, and started finding it at thrift shops too. Then I lucked out and found almost a complete set of Meadow Lane, which is the same shape but with flowers for spring.

Of course I ended up finding a set for 12 of a casual blue-banded pattern at Goodwill before I started buying the Filigree, we use that for summer.

And I have my godmother's blue Shakespeare's Country set, and part of my mom's old Yorktowne saving for when DS goes off on his own (she gave the plates that were in better shape, and all the serving pieces to my SIL), plus a "good" set of china we bought from Service Merchandise when we were married, plus another one of my mom's sets I'm storing for my sister (I don't know why mom didn't keep it, maybe that's when we were re-insulating their attic). And I just bought a set for 8 (missing 1 cup and saucer) of Johann Haviland Floral Splendor china at Goodwill - I definitely have way too much china/stoneware!

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I'll echo what others have said and say that if your decor supports the look, then I would use them year-round. If not, then I would probably limit their use to autumn and winter months.

I've always liked that pattern, by the way, as I like almost anything that is remotely related to tartan in design.

• 66and76
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I really appreciate ALL of your helpful replies. Yes, I suppose I am leaning toward using this china in the Fall/Winter as it seems to "belong" in colder months. I love this china pattern; I just don't want to use it year round if the majority of people sitting down to dinner will think it screams, "Merry Christmas". This is my biggest concern.

kswl, My 1910 dining room is brown and multiple shades of green with heart pine floors, tall ceiling, and large mantle. I think the china looks great in that room.

amck, Definitely take that better flatware service out of the box and use it! Enjoy your renovation!

ajsmama, I had to search EBAY to complete my set of china as it is a discontinued pattern. I was very lucky to be able to round up missing pieces.

• User
    9 years ago

Pink paula, with that color scheme you can't go wrong with that china!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

That is so cute!

I would use it any time one would consider wearing red and green tartan. To me, that is Fall/Winter.

• sixtyohno
    9 years ago

I would use it year round because it is just so lovely and would make me happy every day. There are no rules. Just do what pleases you.

• ophelia7
    9 years ago

it's definitely for holidays but i guess you can use year round when your house has warm-coloring-furniture go along with that china