Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need BM white with no yellow undertones

Posted by donnaclaire (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 7, 09 at 20:27

I am tired of torturing myself and wasting money. I just want a BM white for my kitchen/great room with no yellow undertones..little gray OK. I am so desperate that one good color would be fine and I will do it in different sheens. It can't be super bright either. Thanks all..
Donna

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need BM white with no yellow undertones

Look at the formula for the paint to see if it will have yellow undertones. Find out what the code is for the pigment mix ins....and then choose a white that has no yellow ocher in it.
Linda c

o

HI-

Did you check out BM White Dove OC-17?
This is a nice white, not too stark.

If you want something with more 'colour', maybe BM White Down. It does have some gray to it. (creamy/beigey colour-but I don't find it yellow)

Good Luck...I totally understand your pain in trying to find the right white!!
L.

o

That is a great idea..just ask them to show the formula. Thanks very much..

o

Donnaclaire, our BM store is great about telling you what the formula is and whether it has certain colors in it. I have Simply White on cabinets and trim and it doesn't appear to have any yellow so that's another one you could ask about.

Kat :)

o

BM Super White is the cleanest or purest BM white we found during our "great white paint hunt of '09" LOL. We had it mixed up in Aura matte finish and used it in our kitchen, LR, DR and hallways on the walls and ceilings. LOVE it!!!! It's a nice bright white. Despite it having no yellow undertones at all, our space appears warmer, probably because it picks up or reflects back just enough warmth from our HW floors and cherry cabs. Either that, or it's because it is not as grey as the previous white on those walls.

We'd used regular BM (Regal AquaVelvet) in White 01 in those rooms when we'd reno'd our kitchen a few years ago, and it just started to look cold and brittle to us (not sure if it was the color itself, the texture, or how well it "wore" for the 2 years or so that it was on the walls). White 01 is a somewhat grey white, BTW, so it might fit the bill for you as well.

o

My mother tried BM Super White and loves it in her tiny powder room but hates it in the bigger room. She said it's stark. I haven't tried it.

o

I very much appreciate your help. I am going to the paint store again today to try these out. The painter said white was the hardest color due to undertones so I guess others have that frustration as well..but you know if you get the paint wrong..the whole kitchen looks terrible.

o

Sorry DOnna-

I may have misunderstood white you were looking for...

If you want a 'white' white I would also suggest BM Decorators White and Chantilly Lace (this is a good one, I think!).

Also, Snowfall White which is on same chip as Simply WHite (another good one as sugg. by Kat)We just did our baseboards last week in Snowfall White and I don't see yellow undertones and it's not too stark.

o

BM China White has a little grey cast. I think it's what I'm going to use on my cabinets.

o

We don't find the Super White to be stark at all. We were afraid it would be years ago when we were first looking at white paints for our home, which is why we'd rejected it at that time. Got a sample of it this past spring, and the rest as they say, is history. It's just a clean, white, white.

o

You guys were right. The painting dept was glad to show me which had yellow in them!! I put together linen white and decorator white and it is quite lovely..no yellow. Funny, how you can just do things yourself.

o

I was just reading in the Washington Post about this formula of 1/2 Linen White and 1/2 Decorator's white. That's great that it did not have any yellow in it. There are so many whites and it can be difficult to find the right one. Would love to see pics of how it turned out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Washington Post Home Front column

o

Funny, how we all perceive color a little differently. My mother has all linen white throughout her house. To my eye, it has a lovely creamy to yellow cast.

o

mildredpots, I see the linen white the same as you. I also found it very important to put the BM samples up on my wall. Many GW'ers really like the color "Camoflauge" and to me it looked like mud on my wall.

o

Have you tried Monterey White? I used it on this console and definitely do not see any yellow in it. Maybe a little grey. It's not what I would call bright or stark...

Photobucket

o

danielleg

That's gorgeous!

o

How did all the BM whites turn out?

Mother did "Super white" as I said in her powder room, but does not like it in big spaces. I think she's having the laundry room painted in Super white just to use it up.

But she wants a white that has no yellow or beige undertones.

Anymore ideas?

o

BM OC-1 Natural Wicker. The look of cream without being too yellow.

o

white dove lover here. It is soft, not yellowy, goes well with many colors

o

Hm, a timely thread.

I too need a good white. The house will be white walls top to bottom. It's a contemporary, modern loft-like space.

The floors are going to be painted hardwood in a warm grey colour. I do not want yellow undertones either. The house gets a ton of sun and I live in a cold sunny climate.

Suggestions much appreciated.

o

danielleg, I love that whole picture. May I ask what is that wall color?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here