Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ayf6

abutting couches - end table or not?

ayf6
11 years ago

I have two abutting couches with a space for a 36"x36" endtable. Whats the smallest size I could put there without looking strange? Is there a better option or other idea for use of that space?

Comments (11)

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Ayf, I think a lot depends on the overall space and the style of the sofas. Can you share a photo?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Do you mean abutting in a corner? I think it is nice to pretty much fill the space but it's not necessary.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I have an end table (26") there and it looks fine. I would think you'd want a table and lamp there.

• cearbhaill (zone 6b Eastern Kentucky)
    11 years ago

I need a table next to every seating choice for drinks, books etc. so yes, I think you need one.
    I would let the scale of the sofas dictate the size of the table- you don't need to fill up the entire space, just occupy it.

• ayf6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's what the space looks like. Obviously the end table there is way too small.

The couches are a queen sleeper and a 109" non pullout so they look fairly large

• porkandham
    11 years ago

I think, in this case, height is going to be more important than size. You need a much taller table.

• ayf6
    Original Author
    11 years ago

do you have any recommendations as to what height or kind of table would go well here? we're really bad at decorating :(

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

The height of the end table should be the same height or within two inches of the height of the arm of the seating.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Check sites like Overstock -- but first measure the whole space -- including height.

Also -- could you place a lamp (table? or standing?) at that spot to add warm light to the seating area?

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Yes - higher, and bigger. If the space is 36", look for a 30"-32" square table. I'd also use something other than glass.

Something with two levels, so it doesn't look massive, and can hold a stack of big books and/or a pretty bowl - something to make the corner nice to look at when you walk in.

And a low, fat lamp...high enough to send light over your shoulder when seated, but not high enough to be in your sight lines when you come into the room.

Something along this line, in a style that works with your things:

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I have gotten IKEA dining tables in the 30-32' square sizes that they sometimes have, cut the legs to the desired height and painted or stained them to suit--if budget is an issue.