Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Window treatment ideas

Posted by AnnieDeighnaugh (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 9, 13 at 20:21

I know there are a bunch who prefer bare windows, and they certainly have their place, but I really like window treatments both for their functionality and the warmth and sound softening they bring to a room.

Thought it might be fun to have a place to collect the good, the bad, and the unusual.

Printed shades

Banded with transparency above to let light in.

Capiz shell

Unusual use of shorty rods

Arched valance mimicking arch topped window.

Obscuring a suboptimal view.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Window treatment ideas

All so different but I love them all. I never would have thought shades could be so lovely as the printed shades in your first pic.

o

o

What fun to look through! Love how different each is (and probably would not have noticed them on my own). Really like the printed shade (that room is just so visually satisfying to me). Keep 'em coming!

o

Annie, I had to look up lambrequin and I'm still not sure what it is. Some of the pictures were of a shaped cornice, and some were more like drapery festoons.

You are referring to the stiff, shaped thing outside of the drapes, right?

o

I am in the no WT camp. I consider it an earned luxury of having distant neighbors. Even so, I think there are a few areas where I might add for decorative reasons.

The problem for me is, WT are so wildly expensive, yet i think the combination of the style chosen and fabric used can carbon-date a room down to the month! So I say, if you can get away with it, go bare naked.

o

Love looking at WT's but in my own home I fall into mtnrdredux's camp........less is more.
The only design that I found jarring is the 'Arched valance mimicking arch topped window'. With those gorgeous windows that valance brings nothing to the room!

o

A lambrequin is like a cornice box except that it includes the sides of the window as well as the top. It can be shaped, painted, upholstered.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lambrequins

o

We bought our current home over 30 years ago and the previous owners had hired Dorothy Lerner, a well known and expensive Philadelphia interior designer to decorate their home. We had gold lambrequins in the LR and DR and the ones in the master bedroom were covered with silver and blue peacock wallpaper. They were quite large, floor to ceiling and covered a good portion of the windows.

They lasted less than a week before DH unscrewed them and put them out in the trash. We bought the home from a fellow DH knew from work and he took us through the house. He referred to the decor as "Open checkbook" decorating.

o

I love that...open checkbook decorating! Every decorator's dream client! When we were designing our home, I know I met quite a few open checkbook architects!

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 7:52

o

Curly rods?

Roman blinds on french doors....how do you keep them from flapping?

Shorty cornice boxes

Two fabrics on valance and drape...fabrics nicely coordinated in the room...bay window treated outside instead of as individual windows.

Sliding panels...looks like carved wood to me...

o

o

I love the look of dressed windows. With that being said I have kept my 3 sets of French doors, and triple door slider uncovered since we moved into this home 18 years ago because I am so intimidated by the thought of having to pick draperies.

I never bothered to remove the draperies in the lr that the po installed but they will be gone as soon as I have this project done and will be replaced with new or possibly bare windows. We sit on 3 1/2 acres and our home is not visible at all from the road or from any of our neighbor's homes. I want to do window treatments but how I dread the process.

I have kitchen window treatments on order from EA but who knows when they will arrive. The breakfast area chairs that I ordered in July have still not come in. I will never step foot in an Ethan Allen store again now that I know the delay tactics and non customer service issues.

o

Some of those window treatments are beautiful. I agree some are awkward or just a bit wonky. Window treatment can really soften a room and make it homey. Or if done wrong can be a huge distraction.

Window treatment for me depend on a few thing.

What do your moldings look like? Are they historical or just architecturally 'beefy'. If so plain treatments that sit inside the casement are fine, if you need the privacy.

Do you have a view of some sort and don't need privacy? If so, I agree with the 'bare it if you can' statement.

We are in the first boat with window treatments right now. After the girls finish out school, I hope to be in the second boat. We are land shopping right now for our future house, looking for a mountain view and privacy .. I can't wait to go bare :)

o

For me, it's not just a matter of privacy as we have lots. But it's also a matter of light control, temperature control, managing view, esp if you don't have a nice one, plus managing a feeling and a sound level in a room.

I like using roller shades in bedrooms for room darkening and warmth, so I use valances to hide them, which allows me to keep the windows unobstructed during the day and covered at night.

Many years ago, I had to do work with a bud who was temporarily infirmed at his house, so we were at the computer in an office room that had no window treatments at all. It was a damp, rainy day and, even though he turned up the heat (wife complaining) I still had to leave my coat on as I was freezing. It wasn't the temperature, but the feel...I might as well have been sitting outside, it felt so cold to me.

Further, the "black holes" at night created by bare windows can be disturbing, depending on size and location...unless you want to leave outside lights on...but that's not a very green option.

o

I have nice, original, freshly painted window moldings and my windows are plentiful and proportional. Nice views, no neighbors close, nice and dark at night.

But each and every one of them is eventually going to have a treatment. Why? For one, at night, viewed from outside, my interior is a stage set, and, while I am a star, I don't like to show my dressing room.

And a room with black holes makes me feel insecure and uncomfortable. Unless it's the screen porch, which is perfect in the dark.

I just had the measuring guy out this morning for bedroom shades. The windows take up a quarter of the wall space, and treating them requires more skill than does hanging art.

I like change. Opening and closing window treatments can create a completely different atmosphere. I like that. I don't always want to be in the same mood, and I don't have so many rooms that I can just move to another one for a change of scene. That's why I don't like open floor plans -- you're always in the same place.

o

Sliding panels

Bottoms up and horizontal duettes

Glass knobs instead of rod

Pennant valance...unusual application...I've usually seen this in a child's room in bright colors.

I really like this valance

o

My house has lots of large windows. Even though privacy is not an issue, I use a combination of Silhouette shades and Plantation shutters for light control. I close my East bedroom windows in the morning and my southwest kitchen in the afternoon.

I do enjoy my views and like my frequently used windows uncovered.

Several years ago we rented a house that was isolated while we were building. It had no window coverings...even in the bedrooms. I found it very unsettling at night. I put (with the owners permission) pull down shades in the bedrooms.

I like window treatments. I know valances are not considered the "in" thing but I have several :-)

Annie--Something about that kitchen with the glass knobs valance really made me look twice. I have weird taste, but I really liked it.

o

Some really good ideas on here but those angles rods (pic #10) would drive me nuts!

o

Interesting way to add privacy to a bath window...a bishop sleeve over sheers...a more fussy look for sure.

o

red-lover, I don't think your taste is wierd at all...I like the glass knobs in that kitchen. I love adding a bit of glitz! I added beads to the valance in my bathroom, below, and glass crystals to the fringe on the window treatment in my bedroom.

Not a very good picture but there are glass finials on the rod which pick up on the colors in the beads.

o

A beaded curtain...

o

This looks like "i could care less"

o

o

I'm not into the color green, but what a neat way to add softness to the window without blocking the gorgeous view. Almost looks bridal.

Full length treatment on shorty windows.

Swing arm rods combined with cafe curtain

o

o

i have very specific tastes in window treatments. i am definitely in the less-is-more camp, but i don't necessarily subscribe to the no WT club. there are situations when a room may seem finished with bare windows, but it's amazing what the right designer can do to elevate the room to a whole new level. i must say i am dead set against jabots and swags in any application with the exception of versailles, windsor castle and other royal residences. and i'm not overly fond of valances either.

thank you annie, for posting this. i am all over the second pic, with the sheers on the top portion of the drapery panels. i'm dying to incorporate that somewhere!

i posted this on my thread about my MBR shades, but i think it's worth sharing again.

Here is a link that might be useful: from cote de texas blog

o

We tend to be in the no WT group; we are building a log house on 6 acres of mostly forested land. BUT we are still a bit private in the bathroom:-). I found a great cloth (not plastic) shower curtain that matches our theme for the MB (black bears) and will look good as a regular curtain. The cost is excellent, and since it uses rings, it will be easy to slide open when we are in the bathroom and decent.

We probably won't do anything in the rest of the house.

o

Please post pics when it's' done...I'd love to see it.

o

How about a non-fabric window treatment? A bookcase surround instead.

o

o

This one is just weird. Hang a single panel in the middle of a wall...no function, no relation to the height of the windows...

o

Interesting twist on a cafe curtain...using a solid box pleat drape for privacy with matching valance...

o

No window treatment needed with a view like this one! Yow!

o

o

o

Decorated cornice boards to match bed pillows.

o

Very feminine pull up curtain...it draws up in the center creating a fan shape on the bottom.

o

I have to comment on the framed intercom or maybe a radio? too funny!

o

Annie, thanks for posting these. There are some treatments that really stimulate the imagination! Not just the same old stuff.
Diane

o

o

10 hooks and lots of finessing

Interesting use of rings which line up with the mullions

Not pleated panels but a panel with one big box pleat...combined with woven wood blind.

o

I like this tailored valance in this man's bath. How do I know it's a man's bath? The TP holder is empty!!!
;)

Box pleat with button

This valance is out of this world!
;)

o

o

o

These somehow remind me of the dresses worn in "meet me in st louis"

How different a deep balloon can look from a regular balloon shade

Treat the side windows only?

Matching fabric covering drapery rod

Drapes hung on cables, colored panels mixed with white sheers.

Fancy brackets between arched top windows

Porch drapes...Mom did something similar on her covered deck...she used sheets for the drapes...very washable.

o

Just love the whole thread, AnnieD. So many great ideas. I'm in the process of replacing out window treatments so this is very helpful.

I'm in the "window treatments" required type of housing -- city lots with very narrow side yards. In fact, in the downstairs bath there is a toilet with a waist-high window right above it. Didn't really work for any guy that used it. When I had the windows replaced I had the glass swapped out for obscured.

I also appreciate the luxury of undressed windows, and have several where fences and landscaping provide the required privacy and light control is not an issue. I also think some undressed windows I've seen could use some fabric to soften the overall look.

o

o

o

What I don't get is why anyone would go to the expense and trouble to cover up their arched clerestory windows. Especially with those accordion pleated Duettes. Really, why have the windows in the first place?
I love looking at all the window treatments. Some I love and most I think fall somewhere between almost acceptable and dreadful. And some just look very forced. Like what is with trying to swag an angled window on a vaulted ceiling wall? And adding jabots to roman shades - looks like they couldn't decide between very formal and tailored casual, so they did both.
Looking at all of these sure does help hone the ideas for ones own house.

o

Thought I might add a couple Annie since I've been looking at WT.
I like the way this rod and rings are painted to match the trim.
I also think I'm liking the roman shades behind panels.

o

Thanks, mlw...glad to have others post their window treatments too.

Traditional old colonial drawstring curtain where the string is run through a stitched in pocket on the curtain itself.

o

How high to hang a curtain rod...it depends...

At the top of a window without trim...minimizes the amount of non-trim showing.

Just above the window trim

This one seems too high and too low...neither here nor there.

Up near the ceiling with the woven wood blinds to fill in the gap.

Bottom of the crown molding to match the height of the bay window, but note that the bare wall shows as the woven wood was not hung at the same height but recessed in the window.

Up near the crown, but the swags seem too short to me as they leave the top of the window exposed.

Some of these look to me like they placed the rod to make the drape fit rather than fitting the drape to the rod height...

On top of the crown??? My DH would have kittens!

Ceiling mounted...makes the rod disappear

o

I know this is way too frou-frou for some of you, but there's something interesting in the way they matched the lining of the jabots with the main fabric on the swag that makes it very thoughtful.

o

The more fullness, the more fabric, the more drama.

o

I take it this is an alternative to a door, but it just looks like someone threw an old robe on a hook. Too casual to call a portiere....

Now this is a portiere!

o

Thank you, Annie! This is a purely delightful thread. Your hard work is very appreciated.

o

Hardly work...a lot of fun for me, Oceanna. I'm glad you are enjoying it though....

o

Using shelf brackets as a window treatment? Great idea if you can find the right size and depth. I suppose you could underline with fabric too if you wanted to add color.

o

Really? I don't think I could live with this...it would just drive me craaazzzyyy!

o

This is super cool...custom made PVC lattice panels as window treatments...lots of other applications too. But how neat is that?

Here is a link that might be useful: Vinyl lattice panels

o

Annie: The "old robe" comment got me chuckling. What were they thinking?

What strikes me about the gold and red swags is just how stark white the wall and trim is compared to the window treatment and furniture.

o

This one just looks like a miss to me. I love the combo of fabrics that they used, but somehow trying to make the window treatments proportional to the windows only exaggerates the difference between them. Having a pair on one window and a single on the other only makes it worse. Moreover, the clip rings and the way the curtain rods were applied to the molding is just too low....too much or not enough trim is exposed. I think making a roman or balloon shade out of just the print and using that on the small window would've been better. A perfect example of how treating different windows differently but in a coordinated way in the same room can work. Unfortunately, they chose not to do that.

I'm also flummoxed as to where the drapery color comes from...it seems to have nothing to do with the walls or the bedding. And I'm not sure what's stuck to the wall...is that loose papers behind something?

o

Rustic wooden boards create shelves as "valances" for these simple window treatments. I would've mounted the shelves in this instance to the underside of the L bracket, not the top as I don't like how they show.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Mon, Oct 28, 13 at 9:12

o

Here's an unusual combo...

A box pleated buttoned valance over a roller shade with a pleated drape on a decorative rod on top.

o

Hang it all?

o

Oh my, I think I've died and gone to WT heaven! Though I like some from the last post, I prefer softness of fabrics.

o

Sheers.

o

Love these.

o

This belongs to a friend back from the MSN group days.

o

I LOVE curtains!!! The bigger, the better, the more tassels, and fringe, and different patterns, the better!! Actually, I just LOVE fabric, and notions. Calico Corners was my Promised Land.

I love all this in the right space, though, which has only been one house in my life. Now I live in a country house in the country, with cats, and the multiple fabrics no longer seem right. So, I have simple panels hung from simple rods, and THAT feels right. The cats even wreak havoc with those, occasionally, so I just send them to the cleaners!!

Thanks, Annie, I have really enjoyed the pics!!!

Nancy

o

o

Thanks so much AnnieD! I continue to come back to this thread to get ideas. I thought I would contribute a few.

I'm dealing with some difficult corner windows and have been seeking solutions, mainly on the HW.

Corner, but with panels on both sides:

Dummy panels framing a corner view (and what a one it is!)

Meeting in the corner with nothing at the sides... possibly restricted by wall space for the FP and bed

tons of swags (and finally, a less than desirable view) -- just a bit too much flouncy fabric for me, though, that is just me

Assymetrical, with one panel pinned back --

Flat romans -- like how the lines align with the windows and picks up the rug detail.

Panels in the corner, with a valance/pelmet

panels at the side, with a massive pelmet, plus matchsticks. (I think the padded pelmet looks out of place in a tropical setting, and detracts from the ceiling)

This post was edited by gooster on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 16:42

o

Thanks gooster!

o

I have always wanted a bed with curtains around it.

o

How to make a plain rectangular window into something more spectacular...

o

What is this supposed to be? Draping run amok!

o

Effective use of border in the fabric to create valance.

o

String window treatment

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 7:56

o

Oh my. The one you posted at 2100 is gone a-mok for sure.

o

At 21:00 - looks like they gave up and never finished....LOL

o

To me 21:00 looks like Laundry Day.

o

This is a great thread, Annie. Thanks so much for posting these.

o

After seeing the border over shade you posted above Annie I had to post this. I think this is so pretty.

o

Marji, that is so serene...and normally I hate drum shades, but I'll make an exception in this case!

o

I've always loved draperies, but in my new house have only used them in the bedrooms along with bamboo roman shades, except in the MB and Great Room where I have plantation shutters. While drapes give a true feeling of a room being *completely* decorated, shutters/shades, IMO, do not, but they do give the room a feeling of being 'cocooned' which is my idea of cozy. I like it so much I'm getting an estimate next week to enclose the patio with plantation shutters. I want to create the feeling of an outdoor room, and screening doesn't do it. Will also remove the ceiling fan and add an airy sort of light fixture.

Window treatments are one of the ways to also add the biggest impact to a room, as many of Annie's examples have shown, some TOO much impact!

o

I'm going through pages upon pages of WT on Houzz looking for examples of fabric treatments over plantation shutters that I like. Not having much luck so far.
Came across this. Easily one of the strangest WT I've seen.

o

That is weird looking as is the "art" that looks like it's off of an ink jet printer.

For shutters, I think you're looking at regular drapery panels or a valance. I haven't seen anything more interesting. Part of the problem is you don't want the window treatment to get tangled up in the shutter mechanisms.

o

That does not look like something I'd expect to see on Houzz.

o

This is an awesome thread. Thanks AnnieD for all the ideas and window treatment pics.

Carol

o

Here's a nice way to add color and soften the look of a woven wood blind.

o

o

Don't understand this one....those hard corners remind me of the old fashioned photo albums where you used black corners to hold the pics in the album. And the monogrammed valance seems a tad egotistical...do you not know it's your own room? Though I do love that chaise...I need one just like it in my room!

o

Carved wooden shutters...and is that the shower door? So pretty.

o

With such a gorgeous window and view, treat the wall instead.

o

Here's an interesting way to add privacy to a bathroom window...

o

Let the fabric do your talking....these panels from India.

Here is a link that might be useful: Nova haat

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sat, Nov 9, 13 at 8:10

o

This is a great thread, Annie, thank you!
I too, really like the valance from 10/10, 20:16, Mpls
Interior Designers. Now if only I could figure out how to do that...

o

I never saw a treatment that had the rod go straight through it...

o

Some really lovely window treatments (and some funky ones) but my all time favorite "to die for" drapes is the October 15th at 22:35 box pleat with button. Absolutely lovely simple, classic elegance. I just love them. I wonder what type of fabric was used?

o

Nope, that's new to me too Annie. Not sure what I think of it though.
Holly Kate I missed those. They are absolutely gorgeous! And I have yet to make the drapes for the Gentleman's Parlor. Hmmmm..... Do you think they'd look too feminine if they didn't puddle and without the hold back?

This post was edited by justgotabme on Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 21:02

o

I think they can look very masculine and formal ....depending on the fabric... and maybe go with a metallic button instead of a covered button.

o

Justgota, I want something like that for my living room which is also masculine. Annie's idea of using a metallic button would make them more masculine. I don't think the tie back is particularly feminine, nor the puddling for that matter. I will be anxious to see what you do with regards to wt in your gentleman's parlor.

Annie, what would you suggest as a masculine type fabric? I need something to soften the leather look but still have an appearance that would be cohesive to the Ralph Lauren type room?

o

Here's an example with a contrasting button

My inverted box pleat silk panels will be ready on Friday! Woohoo. Now to finalize on the rods...

o

Oh my Gooster, I'm swooning over them! Absolutely stunning! I can't wait to see them installed.

o

We used to do a very tailored inverted pleated panel with 3 buttons per pleat. I don't have a picture, but found this one on a google search. It's not a great example.

o

Thanks Annie and Holly and Gooster. I was thinking maybe leather covered or brass buttons. We've leather sofas and brass light fixtures.
Looking forward to seeing yours Gooster.
Here's the fabric I'll be using. It's much prettier in person. I scanned it since the color is usually truer, but It's still not giving it's true likeness in texture.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Wed, Nov 13, 13 at 11:59

o

Marji, mine will be over a rod too. Thanks for sharing that picture.

o

oh, holly-kay, I didn't mean to imply I'll be getting those exact ones, sorry. Mine won't come with buttons and are in a different color. Still silk inverted pleats, however. I was thinking contrasting buttons might look nice so I went looking for a picture. It seems like a feasible modification to do after they are sewn, but only if you have wide pleats.

It's definitely a more tailored, dress-maker's accent. The example I posted seems to have a very narrow accent band. You probably could something similar with edge banded or bottom banded drapes.

o

Holly-kay, When I think men's I think paisley or narrow stripe for more formal or plaid for more woodsey/casual. But you certainly can use a solid texture or maybe add a border to set it off.

I went paisley in DH's study:

While the valance may be a little more feminine, the fabric I used in my library is not. A lot has to do with the richness and depths of the color palette too...

o

Beautiful draperies and fabrics Annie. I would love to do something dramatic in our library, but we have a bookcase that fits perfectly between the two front windows. We have wood blinds that would look so much nicer framed in fabric but they'll have to do alone until I have time to make cornices.
Maybe for the Gentleman's Parlor I should take a scrap of faille with me when shopping so I can look for a paisley or manly print to use as an edge banding as Gooster suggested.

o

Justgotabme, can you do an asymmetrical treatment with the windows flanking the bookcase?

o

I never thought about doing that so I decided to go look to see if that's doable. I'd forgotten there's very little space on the right side of the third window before there is more bookshelves. I'll have to take some pictures later and start another thread to show you how it looks and see what you think.

o

I love the detail that the button adds.

o

Annie, I adore Paisley. I received the RL paisley from fabric guru that I want to have pillows made from. The colors are not as rich and autumn colored as I thought so I will be re-evaluating. I adore your library Annie. Would you mind posting a closer pic of the lamp that is by your window? I love the lamp shade.

Gooster, no need to apologize. I can't wait to see your new window treatments!

o

Thanks, holly-kay...I love the lamp shade too...my Dad made it...he was into doing stained glass for awhile. You can see it a little better in this shot.

o

Thank you so much for this post! I am saving it as I am soon going to be in the process of changing my kitchen blinds for a window treatment that will work with higher cabinets. I also would like to do something about the honeycomb look in my home office as I feel I need something on the windows to make them look better after I get windows that are not so cold.

o

If you set the rod high and the shades are inset, or in this case have plantation shutters, you are left with a gap in between. Here they decided to treat the gap.

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Wed, Feb 19, 14 at 8:36

o

Looks like someone ran out of clothesline. And did those big rings come from office depot?

Sorry...I tried to fix the image link, but was unable to so I've linked to the site below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to dishtowel window

This post was edited by AnnieDeighnaugh on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 16:18

o

Annied. Think of that as a way to hang your dish towels in a small kitchen!

o

Annied. Think of that as a way to hang your dish towels in a small kitchen!

o

This is interesting...use square blinds and let the sunlight reveal the arched window underneath. Note too the placement of the mirror in between which reflects the staircase behind.

o

Annie, we have five windows with half moons at the top and after starting the blinds at the bottom of the moon in the Ladies parlor I decided to find longer blinds for the other three and hang them this way. I designed our window trim to be square anyway so it made it easy.

o

Lambrequins anyone?

Cover the window sides

Cover part of the window sides

Create an arch where there is none.

They need not be fabric at all.

Nor need they be only for windows.

The only limit to the shape is your imagination.

Including this "out of the box" asymmetrical treatment.

I'm not a fan of the fabric, but having a shade match the lambrequin will give a real tailored look to a window whether the shade is down or up.

o

This might be good for a barn or some antique colonial laundry room, but feed sack window treatments look way too rustic for the window seat here.

o

Making good use of grandma's hankies

o

most "WTs" look way to overdone, florid, and formal to me.

I really do like the ones that are sheer on the top, though. Wish I could find those at a reasonable price.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here