Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathleen_mcguire

'Chocolate' paint

Kathleen McGuire
16 years ago

If anyone has used a chocolate color paint, would you please post a picture? Some of the colors I've seen have a purple undertone and I don't want that. Think Hershey's! Thanks!

Comments (24)

• tonilynne
    16 years ago

I have Behr Fudge Bar in my kitchen:

• jenanla
    16 years ago

How about BM Aura paint in French Press

• patricianat
    16 years ago

Tonilynne, love your bar stools!

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

Ellen Kennon has a Mocha and Milk Chocolate - both great colors.

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks tonilynne! I saw the paint chip yesterday, nice to se it IRL! Well, virtually anyway!

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

kmcg85, I'm sure you've seen RH Flax a million times on here. I have it in my Dining Room and Powder and love it. It's more of a muddy color though and I'm not sure that's what you're after.....? It has green undertones. Which room is this for? I adore your house!!!

Lindy

• jen71457
    16 years ago

I recently went "all out" and painted a spare bedroom chocolate brown (BM Chocolate Candy Brown) with BM Decorator's White on all trim and crown molding. I think it looks great in the bedroom with white bedding that has a chocolate border (Restoration Hardware). I'd send a picture, but I'm a ninny when it comes to anything more technical than sending an email.

• josette_sc
    16 years ago

tonylinn - Love your kitchen...can you tell me about your floor choice? It is hard tile? whose?

• tonilynne
    16 years ago

Josette,

Thanks! We recently remodeled the kitchen and entryway, and we put in 18x18 porcelain tile. The brand is called Tesoro, and the style is Volcano, Noce color. I purchased the flooring online and saved a large sum of money. It was risky because I didn't have a sample, but I went with a neutral color so that I could change the paint/decorations whenever I felt like it.
    The flooring arrived intact, and we took care of the installation. So overall it was a great experience.

Here's what the flooring used to look like:

{{!gwi}}

Here's a shot of the entryway with the new flooring:

{{!gwi}}

And here's another shot of the kitchen, showing the floor layout:

We still aren't finished (are we ever??). My MIL is making curtains for the kitchen, and I am going to paint the kitchen chairs... I just don't know what color yet.

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Oh, thanks Lindy! I'm embarrassed to say which room it is for...my DS. I asked for help a loooong time ago with his new bedding and haven't gotten anywhere with it. In the mean time, new furniture was ordered and delivered. Anyway, I had been looking at tan's and khaki's because that is what is in the comforter, but it just wasn't happening. We tried red too, like he originally wanted, (Olympic Burning Bush) but again, didn't feel right. Yesterday, we decided to go deeper brown instead of tan/beige/gold thanks to a PBteen inspiration pic. I slapped on Olympic Caravel (chocolate) and I think I have a new direction. The brown looked good with it. When I posted on the paint forum it was all misconstrued that I was decorating FOR him and not letting HIM make choices. Not true. I was asking a question, not wanting my wrist slapped. I quietly backed away. I know it happens from time to time on ANY board. Isn't that more than you wanted to know, LOL? Soooo, back again with the same ol' room. P.S. I have ADD decorating, so I skip around alot from room to room. Ordered and received a potrack for the kitchen, (didn't you PS it for me?), accessorized my living room and foyer and put up new curtains in the DR. Sorry for the rant!

• daisyadair
    16 years ago

tonilynne
    I can't believe you took out that FAB vinyl floor! Just kiddin'. When I was a kid my parents were seriously into house flipping, and everytime we moved she would put that same vinyl in - she used a different color in each house.

• tonilynne
    16 years ago

kmcg85,

I love the idea of doing a rich brown in a boy's room! It's something he will be able to keep for a long time. Post a photo when you can.

• lindybarts
    16 years ago

Yep, that was me who PS'd your potrack. I loved the one you picked out.

So you and DS like the Olympic Caravel but it's a tad too purple? Did I get that right?

Decorating ADD? That's funny...I'm the same way. I bop from project to project.

Here's the Flax in case you haven't seen it...but I'm sure you have. Green undertones would work well with tans and khaki's in his bedding. Maybe too sophisticated of a color for a child??? I dunno?

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I'm not sure what flavor Chocolate you're shooting for :O)

Here's a deep rich chocolate I've used on all of my trim, and one accent wall (which I don't have a picture of...it's in another home):
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

It's SW Woodsy Brown (you can get product numbers by clicking on my name and looking at "my Clippings" to see the paint detail and primer I used).

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thankyou for the suggestions. Lindy, believe it or not, I totally missed all the pics of your home. I must have been away. Bummer. Thanks though for the teaser above! It looks great. Love those chairs!
    Igloo, are you planning on window seats for your bay? I see the ever so familiar blue painter's tape on the floor! I have seen you trim color in your gorgeous gold DR! I have a friend who painted hert trim ink blue, almost black, in her FR with goldish walls. Stunning!
    The caravel looked pretty good, but I'm keeping options open. It really did look like melted chocolate! Here is my inspiration below. When is PB gonna tell us the colors they use in the kids catalogs?

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Guys room

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Heh heh, yes those are the skeletons of my future window seat :) I used to have a blue tape circle as well to show the table LOL

• pam14
    16 years ago

I thought I had posted this under your message, but it posted as its own message. Anyhow, here's my half bath done in Ben. Moore "Morning Coffee" - eggshell finish.

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Pam, that is very pretty! I have the BM fandeck. Will have to take a look at this one! Thankyou!

• kabergs
    16 years ago

Hey KMCG, how are you? I like the idea of the chocolate paint with his bedding, I bet that will look really nice. Let us know what you finally decide, I'm "toying" with the idea of painting my master bath a chocolate, instead of the BM Saddle Tan that's in there now.

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hey Kabergs, how are you? Haven't 'seen' you in awhile! But I did see your beautiful mudroom on the EK site! Awesome! Can you believe I am still fussing about this bedding? I remember you suggesting shabby chic. I did look at that, but it read a little pink next to his comforter. Going darker, i think, will look nice.

• kabergs
    16 years ago

Hi!

I love that chocolate color in the PB room. I think it would look great with your DS's bedding. That is actually what I'd like in my master bath, but DH might just do away with me if I suggest painting it again....

I have been soooo busy. I'm back at school (working toward my masters/teaching cert for a career change), work has been busy and I've been the crazy mother over committing myself to various things at DD's kindergarten. Needless to say decorating and even checking this site has taken a back seat. I am getting ready to have the painters come back and paint my master bdrm and foyer, so I have the color samples out and am patiently waiting for estimates before I call EK for another consult. Yes, I saw my mudroom there too, but I need to send her one where it's not so messy. I think she got the pic from a post here, I don't mind that she used it but I want to get rid of all the bright pink and orange kids stuff!

• Kathleen McGuire
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! You do have alot going on! The brown in the PBTeen room is what I am looking for. It looked great with the red and blue and yellow in the duvet. I wish they would list those as well. So many people look for the colors used in the PBkids catalog too! What EK colors are you considering for your foyer & MBR? That gets me thinking I should probably order the chestnut and chocolate samples from her to look at also. Good luck with your paint quest!

• kabergs
    16 years ago

I like the EK CHocolate, it's really nice.

As for my colors, well I'm all over the place. My master bath is BM Saddle tan, a med tone yellow/orangy tan. I wanted to do a med tone tan in my master bedroom but I'm not sure I like the idea of two different tans next to each other unless one was much lighter darker than the other. That led me to redoing the bath a chocolate but it probably won't be in the painting budget right now. So I've toyed with the idea of EK Sage or maybe a grey, or even a blue but nothing has struck me yet. I have off white/light tan bedding.

As for my foyer, again I'm all over the place. I've thought red, mustard seed or mushroom at one time or another. Poor Ellen, she's got her work cut out for her!!!

• freckles-n-frills
    16 years ago

My master bedroom is SW Down Home.
    {{!gwi}}
    Thanks, Freckles-n-Frills