Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rudebekia

Using Existing Old House Roller Shade Hardware

Rudebekia
9 years ago

Faced with the daunting task of installing window treatments on all 18 windows of the 1915 Craftsman home I just moved into, I realized that every window has very old but perfectly operational roller shade hardware already installed. Lightbulb moment--why not use it?

My no-doubt stupid question is: will only roller shades fit into this hardware? I'd really like something more decorative in some rooms. What about roman shades? Any other ideas on what will work with this existing hardware?

Comments (19)

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Other side

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

That hardware is designed specifically for roller shades (as you know) because it's made to allow one pin to spin and the other to ratchet so you can stop the shade at any point int the up/down. There really isn't another type of shade that will use that system.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Rereading what I wrote - I didn't explain that accurately because the pin doesn't ratchet but the result is the same - only roller shades use those brackets and I seriously doubt you'd get new shades measured to fit them properly, even on a custom cut.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

What's that projection at the bottom of the hardware for?

And it's an odd place for a window shade because it's going to hit the lower sash when it comes down.

I doubt that this hardware is compatible with current day roller shades.

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

We reused the hardware at our first house. Ours were exterior mounted though, so a little more forgiving. You just need to take excellent measurements and make sure whoever is cutting your blinds is very meticulous.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good question about the projection on the lower part. I don't know. What I do know is that I've lived in old houses all my life and I've seen many, many of these things, usually painted over so many times they were impossible to remove. I noted a couple items on the web that indicated the mounting was typical even if it does hit the lower sash when it comes down. I'll have to continue my exploration. . .

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Is the hardware perhaps mounted backwards so that the fabric would roll off the room side of the roll as opposed to the window side? The fabric would clear the bottom sash under that circumstance. If I remember correctly, I think Martha Stewart had roller shades like that in her NYC apartment. I will look it up.

If not, perhaps the previous owners used to have shutters or cafe curtains on the bottom half of the window and the roller shade was only meant to come down halfway for evening privacy.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

You have the exact same old windows I have in my LR. At least I don't have 18 of them!

If you want roller shades for light and privacy purposes, why not put outside-mount valances on each window with the roller shades in the old hardware hidden behind them?

• Kiwigem
    9 years ago

Nope, I was wrong. Martha's black shades were mounted traditionally in the photos I was thinking of. They were inside mounted, but not quite as far in as yours.

If I remember correctly, years ago in my first house I think we reverse mounted our woven roller shades in one room in the way I described above; far inside mount, but the depth of the roll and the fabric rolling off the room side allowed the shade to clear the bottom sash. I can't believe I don't remember for certain. We ordered them from (oh what's the name...buffering..buffering...) Smith and Noble and I think reverse rolls were an order option. They probably still are. It's worth looking in to if you want the shades to be very low profile.
    A caveat... you won't be able to open the window all the way. We smacked our roller shades with the bottom window more than once.

This post was edited by Kiwigem on Sat, Oct 11, 14 at 10:33

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

Yeah, I wouldn't use them. They belong on the outer part, not the inner, like everyone is saying. Take them out and seal up the holes.
    You can buy temporary Redi shades at Home Depot to use for now. Then you can take your time doing it right.

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Changing topic here - I wonder why your sash pulley is mounted so low in the jamb.

And can anyone tell me what that slotted screw (to the left in the first photo) is for? By any chance, does it identify and enable you to remove that jamb for access?

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Hang 'em up as is and enjoy. I never pull them down more than half-way anyhow. Add a different kind of treatment to other windows if you desire. Careful measurements, and cutting, will give you the proper fit. Doubt luck would hold out to find them to be a standard size. With odd windows, I've had to have several cut to size.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

graywings, the screw is to take the jam off in order to take the windows out.

The weight ropes are low like that also in order to be able to remove the weight and lift the windows out.

• shadylady2u
    9 years ago

It doesn't make sense to reuse them. If you buy new shades, new brackets come with it. Why would anyone want to keep those old things that aren't even in the right place? If there's privacy or light issues, just closing them halfway won't cut it.

• Rudebekia
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kiwigem had the answer: the shades were meant to roll toward the room side to slide over the lower sash. I did a little research and this was the typical way to hang them. There are also some places that make historic roller shades for Craftsman homes, like the Ann Wallace site. Gorgeous stuff!

• kdugdale
    7 years ago

Cassandra, I know this was a while back; but did you ever find roller shades that would fit this bracket? I have a house-full of similar brackets, and would love to be able to reuse them . . .

• PRO
    Anglophilia
    7 years ago

Yes, reverse roller mounting placement. These old brackets are FAR better quality than one can get today. Just measure carefully. You can cover shades with fabric yourself if you have a big table, an outdoor space to work ( spray adhesive drift is impossible inside) and the patience to do them. Cover in a neutral and eventually get curtains for the windows.

• kdugdale
    7 years ago

Thanks Anglophilia!

• brrrlington
    4 years ago

I actually prefer inside mount, reverse roll shades and need to replace mine in an old house. However I am having trouble finding old fashioned (old hardware) roller shades besides the seriously off gassing vinyl at the hardware store. What did you end up using? Thank you!