Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
marys1000

Should I give up on percale sheets?

marys1000
12 years ago

JC Penny doesn't have their easy care percale anymore (despite the store here still having a feel it sample for online purchase on display)

I tried LLBeans but they were very thin and I didn't like the color so I sent them back

I even looked into the expensive Sferra but one of the reviews talked about how they bunched up on her non-extra thick mattress, mine is very old normal thickness so I figured that would be my experience as well.

Percale has become practically impossible to find.

I would like 100% or close to cotton percale, or something similar.

Comments (88)

• nikiyu
    9 years ago

Can somebody, please, explain me the difference between Wamasutta percale, supercale and debucale?

One more question, why is nobody recommending Lady Pepperel percale sheets? Were they bad?

• lynn_r_ct
    9 years ago

Forget Macy's. Their so called percale did have the low thread count I wanted but within one wash they were so thin that I know these will not last long.

Bought some at Bloomingdales online. Waited for my 20% coupon. Ordered twin size and the bottoms I received were queen - package mislabeled and they were prompt to give me full credit. I have wanted to reorder, but everytime I get my coupon AND they are on sale, those sheets are not included in the sale. Just what I like, crisp and wrinkly - with all the "snap" I like.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan--just saw this thread again and am sorry I hadn't responded. I went to the NM site and realize that, of course, they change their stock from season to season. I know that the Matouk lines for NM have good percale--I've purchased these sheets in the last two years and they are crunchy and crisp.

http://www.neimanmarcus.com/Matouk-Two-Line-
    Embroidered-No-Iron-Percale-Sheet-Sets-Sheets/prod111320024_cat46520817_cat51710744_/p.prod?isEditorial=false&index=32&cmCat=cat000000cat000553cat47490756cat51710744cat46520817

In addition, I recall that very good percale came from Williams Sonoma Home--but it has been a number of years and the sheets are still going strong, so I can't speak to the current stock.

• musicteacher
    9 years ago

This thread made me think of my husband's grandmother. When I met her I was in college. sewed and was on a tight budget. She gave me a book of how to save money. One way was when your sheets get worn ( in the middle of course) you should cut them in half and then sew the selvage sides together. Then the worn part will tuck under the mattress, and the part that had been tucked under is now in the center. Same grandmother saved and reused foil, wrote me letters on the back on junk mail, picked off uncancelled stamps, collected rain water to water her garden with, saved the plastic bag the newspaper came in to hold her kitchen garbage(she didn't waste much) and kept their 20 year old Ford Galaxy covered in flannel lined plastic tablecloths - in the garage. We inherited it and it only had 5 thousand miles on it! No AC either. Good woman.

• ellie45
    9 years ago

This post keeps on going and I too am still looking. Is it really possible to get the crisp sheets from my childhood?

My mother hung hers outside in the sun. I can't do that. I hate my Martha Stewart sheets. They are sooo baggy.
    I will continue to watch this post and maybe a miracle will take place.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Interestingly, we were at a hotel a couple of weeks ago that had noticeably crisp white sheets. I should have looked for the label.

• vedazu
    9 years ago

sjhockey--did you see my post a few posts back?

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Oh, I did, and I meant to thank you! We're waiting until we get a new mattress (Eastern king vs. the California king we have now that is on its last legs) to actually buy sheets. I'd rather get just one set that is great than multiple sets that are cheap and flimsy like the ones we have now to tide us over. There are very few things I buy for the house without "sharing" with DH first, but the price of these sheets is one of them (I'll still buy them, I just won't share the price LOL)

• MJ2012
    9 years ago

LLBean sells two levels of percale. We have two sets of the more expensive percale (made in Portugal) and we LOVE them. They are not thin.

• vasue VA
    9 years ago

Penney's still advertises their Easy Care "perfect blend cotton/poly" sheets online, without specifying the percentage of each fiber. Are these different than what you like, Mary?

When I wanted old-fashioned cotton percale sheets, without the resin coating so many new ones have, found new old stock ones. Searching eBay for "cotton percale sheets" turned up vintage unused ones in their original package. For example, link is to a pair of double top sheet Pencale 100% combed cotton percale sheets by JCP.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pair JCP percale sheets

• vedavis
    9 years ago

My favorite sheets are Thomas O'Brien from Target and now I cannot find them anywhere! These must be what some are calling Vintage as they are 100% cotton, crisp and cool to the touch. Yep, just like sleeping on my grandmother's feather bed!
    My Google search led me to Overstock Amazon and ebay but no white standard pillow cases. These sheets wash and wear well, no pilling and no rough fabric that I think is brought on with a poly blend. I wish I wasn't so peculiar about my sleepwear and sheets. I have dry bumpy skin and prefer all cotton. Thanks for listening! I'm so disappointed!

• Jean Damad
    9 years ago

I love these too! We found an entire set (including pillow cases - but not white - sorry!) on ebay. I'd try there. Can you live with another color?

• Diana Morrison
    8 years ago

Those who might be interested in really good Percale sheets. There is a place with 450 thread ct. Not cheap but really worth it. Even has deep pocket choices.

Check out....The Company Store http://www.thecompanystore.com/

Best Percale I ever bought.

• ellie45
    8 years ago

Thank you for the referral. Are they crisp percale like older ones used to be?

• bronscs
    8 years ago

I am a fanatic about my sheets and only use 100% cotton percale. While Sferra has been my hands down favorite, The Company Store has very good quality percale sheets. Take a look online. Even their children's line (which sometimes goes to Full sizes) is good quality percale. You will be happy with their products.

• gsciencechick
    8 years ago

We always had percale and they seemed to last forever. Are any of these "modern" ones wrinkle free? I used to love to iron the sheets for mom.

• Jmc101 z5
    8 years ago

I have 4 sets of Vermont Country Store patterned percale sheets for a queen size bed and they are wonderful. Yes, I could iron part of the top sheet, but I can't be bothered. These sheets are crisp, cool and make me happy :-)

• strawchicago z5
    8 years ago

My favorite sheets are from Target. I once bought 100% cotton-linen sheets from Target, and used it until it went to shreds. Nice cool & breathable cotton for the hot summer. I came to Target last month, could not find thick cotton sheets. I tested their samples by draping over my arms to see how breathable they are. Conclusion: Target's organic cotton is the most cool & breathable, that beat the $$$ Egyptian high-thread-count one.

• blue_jean_baby
    8 years ago

My favorite sheets are from Target, and (of all things) a combination of cotton and bamboo. If they hadn't had a sample to touch I would never have believed they would feel this good, so soft and luxurious and thick!!

They have lasted several years but now they are beginning to wear out. I wonder, I have read about "turning sheets before, but isn't the seam in the middle uncomfortable?

Sadly they appear to no longer carry them, so now I too have to go on The Great Sheet Hunt to find something else I like. This is quite an interesting Thread! (no pun intended)

Dawn

• bronscs
    8 years ago

Like many things this is a personal preference issue. Bamboo makes me sweat so I avoid it. I couldn't even wear silk if I wanted to. I can't comment on the ironing as I've never ironed my sheets. Generally speaking i put them on straight from the dryer so it wouldn't be necessary. Sadly I haven't the patience to iron sheets so I've never found the need. To my eyes they've never needed it. My biggest issue in this area is convincing my cats that making and stripping my bed is NOT automatic play time.

• msrose
    8 years ago

This has been a very educational thread for me. I still don't understand why you would prefer crisp over soft?

• flowerpwr45
    8 years ago

To me a crisp sheet feels cool; a softer one feels "clammy", for lack of a better word. Bamboo sheets were not pleasant for me.

• organic_nm
    8 years ago

I recommended a website maybe 8+ years ago for a different type of sheet that we still use, however I noticed that the website we use does have the classic percale weave sheets. We prefer the sateen weave because of the silky feel of the sheet but to each their own. The Hard To Find Sheets website does carry percale weaves. It looks like they are available in the 300TC : ) Good Luck! www.HardToFindSheets.com. Now, if I can find a pillow (memory foam) that does not stink that would be great. Please comment if you know of a store that may carry them.

• beamusup
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

Would the person who started this thread, Mary, contact me? Sheila at beamusup@ec.rr.com

• nosoccermom
    8 years ago

I'm sure by now she has the sheets

• Dana
    8 years ago

I'm a bit late to the party but I wanted to chime in. I, too, have been trying to find the perfect sheet. All cotton, with that cool feel sheets used to have back in the 60s. I purchased some recommended sheets last week and I do believe I have found them. Boll & Branch. They are 100% extra long staple percale organic and honestly, it's like putting my face into a cloud made of an angel's cheek. They feel cool to the touch and so high quality. They also donate funds to help support sex trafficking support. I'm so pleased with this purchase! With a coupon, they were about $200 for a queen set.

• atlbeardie
    7 years ago

For anyone else that runs across this old thread, I wanted to state that the Boll and Branch sheets mentionned in the posting above are SATEEN, not percale.

• PRO
    Apropos Design
    7 years ago

Hands down the best sheets I've ever had I recently bought at Target. "Vintage washed percale sheets" by Threshold. Actually, I've bought 3 sets I love them so much. Cool, crisp yet soft, just like sheets used to be. 100% cotton. Yes, they wrinkle slightly when washed, but I think that just adds to the vintage look and feel. Extra elastic on fitted sheet with labels marking sides, top and bottom. The only drawback.....I don't want to get out of bed!!!!

• joyce25239
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I have found that the ideal sheet varies with the season.

For summer use, I want my sheets crisp. My best experience thus far has been with Malouf's Hotel Collection percale 200 thread count cotton sheets. I just checked, and Amazon is still selling them.

I have also tried the Vermont Store's percale resin-free 300 thread count sheet, but found it to be a little too soft for hot nights.

For cold winters, I recommend using a thin flannel blanket as a sheet substitute.

• salmazan525
    6 years ago

Just found this thread. I have also been on the hunt to find sheets that hold up and are as nice as they used to make. I have tried almost all the new referenced from this thread, but none are as good as yesteryear. The best I have found are Sferra, but after 5 years (when I first started buying them), they get thin and loose shape. The elastic also wears out. BBB has a newer brand that is percale and they are pretty good - they feel soft in all directions without a rougher "side." I've only had them a couple months so I don't know how they will ultimately wear, but so far I like them. I hope this thread continues untill we all find the best new/vintage quality we are searching for!

• barrie_bamberg
    5 years ago

If you need twin or full size, you will be able to find the original 100% cotton percale in their original packages from American factories in the 1950s on Ebay. Of course you will see used as well but plenty of never-opened sheets from grandmother’s attic I suspect. Bed bath and beyond now carries a 100% Cotton percale sheet by Wamsutta. The vintage sheets switched to permanent-press blend about the time queen and king sizes came on market so you won’t find original percale in those sizes. Also very hard to find fitted as they came out about same time as no-iron. Garnet Hill also sells great percale sheets. Not cheap but I have been pleased with quality and was happy to spend the money until I discovered cheaper Ebay opportunities. Love the cool, crisp feel. I call them my noisy sheets.

• maire_cate
    5 years ago

Just be aware that Wamsutta is no longer the Bedford, Mass. company that was in business for over 150 years. It is now a brand name bought by Springs Global which is a multi-national textile company headquartered in Brazil. They do operate some some manufacturing plants in the U.S. and elsewhere.

I am still using a few of my Wamsutta sheet sets that my MIL gave me when she worked in a department store - they're over 25 years old now.

• robin5792
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

I wanted to add to this discussion, because years ago this forum guided me to finding the best percale available now. Like you, it's been a quest for years. I still have my ratty childhood twin bedsheet that I feel when I need to compare something to. While my own preferences might not be yours, I want to let you know what I've found. I ordered many sets of sheets, and on some of the pricier ones, I only ordered a set of pillowcases to test them out. I'm ridiculously picky about textiles, and will pay a lot if I find what I want. Here's my experiences:

Brooklinen: available only online. Still my top choice. Have had a set on my bed now for over two years, and it just gets softer. Pros: stays cool to the touch even when sleeping in a Texas August. That's job one for me! I want to be able to move my feet and easily find a new cool spot, as well as turn over the pillow and sink into the coolness. These do just that. They are smooth to the touch, but crisp so that they don't strangle me when they drape over my body. Cons: a little thin, so that if you have a pattern on your pillows or mattress, it will show through. I bought pillow covers to cover up the pattern, and then put white percale cases on top. They wrinkle - of course - quite a bit. I just iron as needed, and sometimes I don't bother ironing. Haven't found anything better than these, especially for the price. Also they have very limited colors.

Riley: again online. I believe they are comparable to Brooklinen. I'm watching their site for more color choices, as Brooklinen is very limited with colors. But Riley passes the cool, smooth, crisp test and I liked them. I will buy a set if they will offer a good teal/seafoam color.

Peacock Alley: These had great reviews, but I hated them. The percale is so thick that it isn't cool at all. Used the pillowcases one night, then yanked them off and gave them away.

Kassatex: Wanted to test their "percale" that is percale mixed with tencel so that they wrinkle less. That was true, they do wrinkle a bit less. But they don't sleep like percale. No crispness, and not cool enough for me.

The Company Store: I ordered their Classic 210-Thread Count Cotton Percale. I opened the package, felt the fabric, put them back in the package and returned them. Not worth bothering with. Felt like fine sandpaper. That means they aren't long staple cotton, and that means they are cheap quality.

Pottery Barn: Theirs was "okay", but felt cheaply made, didn't sleep as cool. Also didn't last long, got a tear in the sheet pretty quickly.

Coyuchi Organic Percale: hated them. Too heavy, not crisp, not cool.

Thomas Lee: Haven't tried them, because the description sounds like the sheets are thick. That just won't work in the summer. Perhaps it might be a good "winter percale".

Sferra: Haven't tried them, because it's hard to imagine it would be better than Brooklinen or Riley, and they are very expensive. But perhaps I'll get a set of pillowcases to test.

Snowe: Another online choice that I want to try. I'm still looking for a color in good percale that works with my bedding. Until then, I'll stick with white. PS: I just ordered a set of these pillowcases because of the rave reviews. I'll come back and edit after I've received and tested them.

Hope this helps!

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

ROBIN 5792: what do u think about Snowe pillowcases?????

i just received a set but have not washed them yet. they feel ok, but thin. not sure if i am going to wash them.

looking forward to your analysis!!

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

sprtphntc - We bought a new king size mattress set 3 years ago and I had to buy new sheets. I ordered 3 percale sets - 2 from LL Bean and one from Snowe. The Snowe percale fit the bed beautifully and seemed to be well made. We used all three sets for a few months and then Snowe asked me to provide feedback on their website. I wrote that they wrinkled too much even when dried on low heat and removed while still damp. They offered to replace the percale with a set of sateen. The sateen does not wrinkle as much as the percale did and I'm using them in rotation with the LLBean.

• robin5792
    3 years ago

thanks for the reminder! I used the Snowe pillowcases for a week. the fabric quality is good and the fabrication itself is well made. they also have some colors that other people don't have in percale. Ultimately, I didn't like them because it's not cool enough for me. it was reasonably crisp, and I think it would have become smoother with more washings. but when I turned the pillow over at night it was not a cool spot on the other side of the pillow, and that's important to me especially in the summer. they do wrinkle a lot but I believe like Brooklinen they would wrinkle less as they had more washings. When I wrote to them, they also suggested the sateen, but since I don't like anything except a good percale, I didn't bother.

so far I still prefer Brooklinen, but the top sheet is skimpy. I believe I'm going to get a whole set of Riley and try them next. I only tried the Riley pillowcases and I thought they were pretty good.

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

thanks so much marie_cate and robin!! i think i will try them out. they do have, i think its 60 days to return, if not satisfied. not a sateen fan at all. i don't like 'silky' sheets!!

really miss MamaPinky, she had great insight for sheets. i did see her post that sheets should be washed in hot water vs. warm. thoughts on that??

i am also going to try Authenticity50 for sheets. they will not be available till october. they are 100% made in usa, which is important to me.

i did order their pillows, A50, and love them. so hopefully i will love the sheets as well.

would have tried LLBean, but they don't carry CalKing.

i only need 2 sets, since i hate storing extra sheets and like them to be relatively fresh, weekly.

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

Authenticity50 is new to me so I checked the Wirecutter site to read their review. It was one of their top picks for percale. I can't find their thread count on the web site so I called and left a message. I'm always suspicious when a manufacturer touts an extremely high thread count.

Sprtphntc - did you find their pillow cases to be cool and crisp? I'm with Robin on that - if I flip my pillow I want to find a cool spot.

• robin5792
    3 years ago

I didn't know about Authenticity50. I love what they say on their website. Their percale is 250 thread count according to their site, which is an appropriate thread count for percale. Anything higher is too thick and loses the coolness and crispness.

• robin5792
    3 years ago

After further evaluation, I believe that Brooklinen and Riley, both sheets that I found I prefer due to their coolness factor, are the same manufacturer in portugal, just sold under different brand names. The pillowcases are both made in a style that covers your whole pillow with an inner envelope that hides the exposed end of your pillow. The sizes are similar in top sheets, and many of their patterns are the same. Prices are also similar. Portugal is known for excellent bedding. The only reason I want to evaluate other brands still is that I would like a slightly larger top sheet, and I wish that I could find more colors that would work with my bedding.

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

maire_cate: i bought their pillows, not pillowcases. they are really nice and if u feel u need more fill, they will send to you free of charge.

waiting for their gray sheets, suppose to be in stock first week of october.

will report back when i get them

just order a Woolroom mattress protector. i am putting on this weekend with the new Snowe sheets, hope i LOVE both of them!!

• maire_cate
    3 years ago

Robin - thanks for the thread count and the info about Brooklinen and Riley.

sprtphntc - I obviously did not read thoroughly!

• frankginakay
    3 years ago

Has anyone tried RedLand cotton sheets?

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

maire_cate: haha, no problem, i do it all the time!! :)

frankginakay: i looked into them but wasn't thrilled with the colors. seems like a good company and all their products are made in usa.

i am finding most small business bedding companies have very little color choices and since i am not using shams and decorative pillows, i am relying on the sheets to provide some color. i am going the minimalist route. i am done with all the fru-fru :)

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

UPDATE: been sleeping on the Snowe sheets for 2 weeks now, and i have to say i really like them. washed them twice so far.

yes, they do wrinkle but its not really a concern for me. i do feel they sleep "cool', so i will give them an overall A-, since i don't have any evaluation for longevity.

My Authenicity50 sheets arrived, will try them over the weekend and report back. :)

• sprtphntc7a
    3 years ago

UPDATE: Authenicity 50 sheets on my bed now. i like them but between those and Snowe, Snowe is def. more crisp. A50, softer.

so i gues its preference. i like both, so i am happy.

both are light and both are cool, although Snowe does seem a bit cooler....

• cheese_roast
    3 years ago

I am here because I need to get more of my wamsutta cool cotton percale sheets and they've been discontinued - I'm so dissapointed and rubbing my feet on my ice cold sheets right now and wondering how I'll find a replacement lol.

I take it for ice cold I want brooklinen or snowe?

• robin5792
    2 years ago

Cheese roast, I did like the Brook linen sheets. However, they just tear too easily. I've now had to trash them, literally, because I put my hand thru it when pulling it over the mattress corner. I think I'll try Snowe again or maybe Sferra. again, or

• robin5792
    2 years ago

I have gone back to Riley sheets, one that I liked in the beginning. I kept trying different brands, searching for that Holy Grail. I found a vintage Wamsutta on ebay, and they are so scratchy. I've now washed them literally 20+ times to get them to soften up, and I still don't like them. Does anyone want a fitted queen Wamsutta and two standard pillowcases? 50/50 queen size.

Also, tried Vermont Country Store resin free, and they are ok. I'm not in love with them, but they've only been washed once. I don't know about their longevity.

Based on another reviewer, I ordered Cologne and Cotton from the UK. ohmigod, these are the worst sheets I've ever tried to sleep on. They are basically sandpaper. I don't know how to soften them up, I'm afraid it's just wasted money.

I am spoiled by Brooklinen arriving already smooth, not scratchy, but maintaining coolness and crispness. I just want them slightly heavier, and not wear out so quickly. I'm hoping to get that with Riley, plus Riley has better color choices.