Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

Help! Looking for the right Grey, preferably EK

jjam
9 years ago

I am having trouble finding a color for a bedroom. It is a south facing room with two good sized windows, and the bed is an iron bed from Pottery Barn; with a pewter finish, with grey lacquered nightstands from west elm. Duvet, drapes, etc., will be white linen, and carpet is light beige; very neutral. The room directly across the hall was done in Ellen Kennon Lichen, and we love it! I'd like something in a grey that would compliment the Lichen and would like to use more full spectrum paint if possible.

So, looking for a smoky grey, not too dark, that leans light purple rather than blue. I tried BM Revere Pewter but am afraid it will just look like a flat grey, and I'd like one that has a lavender undertone.

If you know of a color that would fit the bill, please share :) Painters are here tomorrow and will be ready to roll the walls out soon....

Comments (19)

• beachlily z9a
    9 years ago

I have SW Rhinestone in most of the public areas of our home and it does lean lavender. Straight gray most of the time, but with early morning sun, it has a lavender tint. Beautiful neutral gray that we both love! He doesn't necessarily love that faint tint, but really likes the color.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Benjamin Moore Cape Hatteras Sand is a gray with a lot of lavender in it, esp. when daylight hits it. I just repainted my dining room FROM Cape Hatteras Sand (to BM Putnam Ivory) BECAUSE of the purple in the CHS.

This is a pretty good pic of CHS.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Beachlily and Tibbrix!

I really like the Cape Hatteras Sand. I am going to have so much white in the room that I'm ok with an undertone for a change. I don't want a purple room but one that kind of suggests it sounds perfect.

I'm also looking at Revere Pewter again; read somewhere online that it has purple undertone so maybe it will work. When I did a search about RP on this site, lots of comments about it just looking like cement; so I was kind of turned off by that.

Whatever I get, I will definitely post a pic!

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

look at BM Dior Gray or Pigeon Gray

I used Pigeon Gray in my previous home with pink and lavender tile.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I tried Revere Pewter first in my DR but it did look like cement to me, so I went with the Cape Hatteras Sand.

If you do go with the Cape Hatteras Sand, you might want to have them bump it up about 25 or 30% to lighten it a bit. You'll definitely see the purple undertone in it during the say in a room with southern exposure (my DR was south-facing.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Perhaps Ben Moore: Stonington Gray?

Here is a link that might be useful: BM -- Stonington Gray HC-170

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Tibbrix, is Cape Hatteras Sand an Aura color? I hope not; would have to have it color matched at Porter Paints and not sure they could match aura.

Thanks, teacats and Julie. I LOVE Dior Gray; think it may be too dark but I will look at it again. And, teacats, the Stonington Gray just doesn't look like it has enough heft to it. I want the walls to look like they are a color, and wonder if SG veers close to being more of an off white.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Jjam, you mentioned EK paints. I have the whole series of cards and I think Lilac Mist would be perfect. It definitely looks grey rather than lilac. I also pulled Lichen. I don't like the way they look together but they won't be in the same room so that shouldn't present a problem. There is also Lavender Mist but that seems very light. My favorite EK color is Silk Road Plum

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

holly-kay, you are right, I love the EK colors but for some reason this one has me stumped. Lilac Mist is pretty but I think it's too much purple. I want a room that looks more neutral, a gray with the lavender undertones. Ellen suggested a new color they have just developed that has lilac in it but I don't think that is what I'm looking for.

The ones on the cards I'm considering are silt, bark, and stone. Have you used any of those?

I looked up Silk Road Plum, and WOW, it's gorgeous. Don't think it will work for this BR, but it is beautiful.

• jterrilynn
    9 years ago

Behr Porpoise is a great color that I have used in the past. It looks nothing like the color on chit here but I posted it anyway. In real life there is more gray but a purple undertone that can be seen in certain light but not a in your face purple undertone. I have also used the next lighter Gentle Rain. The Porpoise got lots of raves though.

• chispa
    9 years ago

BM Silver Fox - more a taupy-grey

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

jjam, Aura is a type of paint by Benjamin Moore and has nothing to do with the colors.

Cape Hatteras Sand is a Benjamin Moore color from their "America's Colors" palette. It's code # is AC-34.

One reason I think it might be a good fit for your room is because of your description of the rug, etc. CHS definitely has lilac undertones, very mauve-y. But it can also have a beige overtone and a taupe-y overtone. For instance, I have it in my master bathroom now. The bathroom has no windows, a pine floor, and white ceiling, and the CHS has a very spa-like creamy beige-y taupe to it.

When I had it in my south-facing DR, which has windows, it was much more gray with the lilac/mauve undertone.

And I had it in my half-bath in the living room. Tiny bathroom, no windows, pine ceiling and floor, and it was more gray in there.

So I thought of it because your description seems to cover all of those colors - gray/taupe, mauve/lilac/beige, and this color does all three.

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Jjam, When I looked at the Lilac Mist last evening I almost didn't suggest it because I couldn't see a lilac undertone at all but I figured it was due to the lighting in my room. It's funny that you mentioned silt because I had that one pulled aside as a possibility for you.

I haven't used EK paints even though I very much wanted to. I bought the full card set and I ordered many sample pots. Nothing was working for me and I couldn't wait (nor did I want to spend more) for even more samples to arrive. All the samples that I purchased doubled my paint expenditure. I will definitely use EK paint at some point when I'm not under the gun like I was when I did the kitchen.

Good luck with finding that perfect color and please post pics when your room is painted.

• theclose
    9 years ago

BM Coventry gray:

One darker than Stonington gray. I had SG in my last kitchen. Loved it as well.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, the painters are here and they convinced me to try the color that I already own and see what I think after I see more of it. It is a new color Ellen Kennon recommended, not on her site yet, called JV Violet.

When I tried it on the walls last night I saw more of a little girl lavender color in the room and not a sophisticated grey/lavender. But they say put it on a whole wall before I decide one way or the other. Since I already own the paint, I guess that's a no-brainer.

Tibbrix, I agree, Cape Hatteras Sand sounds perfect for what I am looking for. Will see how the current color works out but if it does not I will definitely look at it. Mamorella, I love Coventry Gray, too!!! It popped up multiple times when I googled the subject of "best grays".

jterrilyn, I hear raves about Behr but haven't tried it yet. I will keep it on my list; and thanks for adding that to the mix. The painters mentioned that they love Behr. Chispa, I have also seen Silver Fox mentioned many times on painting/decorating sites. I will look at it also, and thank you.

I would like to add that Ellen Kennon is absolutely the real deal in terms of customer service, and that's why I would love to use her paint. I will update as soon as the painters let me back in the room, (they told me to go away and chill out with a cup of coffee while they get two walls rolled out, LOL)

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, it's done, and I decided to go with the paint Ellen Kennon suggested. Just finished up and only a few things are back in place, but here are a couple of quick photos:

{{!gwi}}

The color changes quite a bit when I turn on the fan light with the CFL bulb. It's gotta go.
    {{!gwi}}

It's not exactly what I was picturing but this was a good surprise! More violet than purple, but it's kind of unexpected and fun, and a happy shade of grey, if that makes sense. Looks more grey in daylight, goes more violet at night. I had the painter roll out one coat, and once the old paint (mint green) was covered up, I got a much better idea of what this was going to look like. I wasn't sold but decided that if Ellen was recommending this, and she's a color expert, I should at least try it!

I have now done two bedrooms with EK full spectrum paint and I must say I am impressed. They have kind of an aura about them, literally, and they also do change color quite a bit depending on the light. Also took less paint than my painter had estimated, which resulted in a whole extra gallon of the color we used for the other bedroom.

I do appreciate all of your advice and help. I was ready to head to the paint store for samples of greys that you had suggested if this didn't work out, and it sure helped me sleep last night! I'll post more pics when the room is put together again.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Very nice!

• theclose
    9 years ago

Looks great. Enjoy!