Return to the Home Decorating Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mirror over sofa

Posted by princesssusan (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 23, 07 at 19:52

I have searched high and low for a picture to put over my sofa. Just cant seem to find one.
I was now thinking maybe a mirror or iron. Can you all please share your pics please, so I can get some ideas.

Thanks
Susan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mirror over sofa

A mirror would have been a great solution for my area but it would be mirroring an area I do not want mirrored. I wish I could put one on the back of the front door, so I could sit and look at the garden.

Mirrors have been done for years and years and years, and will continue to be done for years and years and years, long after we are gone and forgotten.

o

I have mirrors over my couch because they enlarge the room. They were put there a few years ago, granted, but I've thought about replacing them with photo's, but the wall is so long, the mirrors definitely do it justice. The mirros reflect light and make the room look bigger.

Not all houses are built the same and not all houses should be decorated the same. I won't have mirrors used the same in my new house because the rooms are large and ceilings high, just the opposite of this house.

Although I may have one on the wall by the dining room table. I hope that's not taboo too!! It will be my taboo if it is.

I think it's a matter of taste and what looks right in a particular setting.

o

Susan, in our last home, we had a rather large rectangular-shaped living room with a fireplace. Our sofa backed up to the wall facing the fireplace, and we had a large decorative mirror hanging above it. On each side of the mirror, we had two old, blue and white plates hung vertically. We loved the look and kept that arrangement for the thirteen years we lived there. With all due respect for Premier's pronouncement, our choice was intentional and not because we lacked artwork for the space.

o

Well, I had a carpenter reverse the direction of my solid maple door in my 80 year old house. He had to do some repair work to disguise the 2 places where the hinges used to be. He did a good job considering the house is so old. Granted it is not perfect.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

I do have a degree in design plus graduate school.

But I do agree many, if not most, of these ideas are personal preferences, personal taste. I break a lot of the so called rules. Many of us do.

Susan, if you do go with a mirror over the sofa for now, look for something that you could use in other places when one day you do find that art piece or group of art pieces.

This mirror used to be over my sofa at the old house. It's better here but of course in the next house I may use it in a totally different place.

o

I agree with Threegrad. A mirror can be a good solution over a sofa, particularly if it reflects a pretty view or otherwise enlarges the room. I do think, though, that many people are uncomfortable looking at their reflections and that this should be considered. E.g. personally, I don't want to look at myself all the time, not even most of the time! I do use mirrors in our house - in small rooms opposite windows, so that they enlarge and deepen the room. But I try to place them so that whoever is in the room isn't forced to look at herself constantly.

I also agree that a mirror is a fine idea while you are taking your time and training your eye to decide what kind of art to hang. IMO there's no substitute for a beautiful landscape which contains a winding path or river that draws the eye into the picture, deepening the illusion that the walls aren't flat. So why not go for a mirror now, but consider replacing it later with the painting of your dreams? Even if it takes a few years, by visiting galleries, museums and art fairs, eventually you'll hone your taste and find something that you like.

o

I am still trying to find something I truly like. I would love a picture, but just cant seem to figure out what. I need to bring color in this room, and would even go for some other kind of wall art.

Thank you all for your suggestions.

PS: I also am looking for something to hang on dining room wall. And I thought this would be easy! I wonder if I can retire from my retirement, go back to work and be too busy to do all this decorating.

have a good day all

o

I think some mirrors are like artwork in themselves. Threedgrad's mirror - case in point. On hers, you don't really notice the mirror part that much - just continuity(spell??) of the grid pattern that is harmonious to the eye.

I personally love the way a mirror can bounce light around. I plan on putting 2 7ft leaning mirrors in my dining room. What is better than candlelight being reflected in a dimmed
room while having a wonderful meal??!

Princessusan - why don't you post a pic of your space? People might be able to help guide you. I am amazed by the different resources used on this site for decorating.

Smiles:)

o

I am not a designer, nor do I claim to be but loved shopping for the mirror above my couch. (Also, les is a great asset here, designer or not and her moral support helped me greatly on this project.) There are so many beautiful mirrors and frame designs out there. I love a mirror with beveled glass which also adds to the "art" of it. Hard to see but frame is distressed with tones of gold, bronze, borwn and touch of black so blends with the wood colors and lamps in the room. Here is mine found at JC Penney. Home Goods/Marshalls and Steinmart also a good source.
I made a mistake on the rug under the coffee table and need a larger size and will change it out someday.

o

Thanks, tinker - you are too kind. Great shot of the room.

o

I think a mirror can look wonderful over a sofa (sometimes horizontally -- or perhaps as a vertical element to add height or match a roof line) -- perhaps coupled with pretty plates around it OR sconces OR a vertical row of small artworks on each side ......

Can you tell that I really like groupings of things -- even on walls??? LOL!

o

I've found quite a few prints at this site and I love how the software allows you to view different colors and styles of matting and framing. Try www.wallartamerican.com, Susan. Maybe you'll find something that will work for you. As far as mirrors go, they will never be out of style IMO. If that is the look you want, go for it.

o

We had a carpenter reverse the swing on a stained solid wood exterior fire rated door. Looking from inside - It changed from hinged right swing into room, to hinged left swing out. No patching on door. He did make adjustments to the door jamb - changing the door stop for one. This was done 7 yrs ago.
I am a commercial space planner (furniture, systems design & install, etc). Often, door swings are changed to make more efficient use of the space providing egress, ADA , and codes are met. It can be done and is done.
I know nothing about the original thread about reversing door swings but felt it necessary to jump in on the subject to validate one way it is done.
Premier - most of your comments are not only rude & hurtful - you appear to attack other posters. Hopefully, most will ignore your comments and you will go away. Yes, my comment to you is intended to be rude to you!
Susan, sorry to hijack - in commenting on your original question, a well placed mirror, in a complimentary design to your furnishings looks nice, providing the reflection seen from all directions is pleasing. Mirrors are useful decorating elements still in use today. My opinion.

o

Sorry...it looks like the link for my mirror didn't work. Here's another try...

o

deeinohio-- love the mirror! What color is on your wall, if you don't mind?

o

My kitchen door used to swing right into the kitchen and was hung on the opposite side of the jamb as well. So it changed facing and hand. The jamb was patched - not the door. I would never be able to find a matching 80 year old maple door nor could I afford to replace the entire door frame. But the room worked SO much better without that dang door swinging into the room. It HAD to be done. But it pays to have a good carpenter rather than try such work yourself. I would have botched it up big time if I had tried such a thing. In fact I think the fact that the patch does not match is because I stained it (plus I think the wood is different and it does not have shellac like the 80 year old wood does).

I also had this same carpenter fix my original front wood storm door when one year the wind ripped it off the hinges. Rather than get a new door that would never go with the architecture I chose to have the original door repaired.

o

I'm just shopping for mirrors myself on ebay. So a 17th century italianate mirror with hand painting isn't "art"? Darling if you've ever tried to fix your hair in an antique mirror you'd know they're not so good for the reflecting aspect of life anymore...but they're fabulous art pieces.

o

Susan, if this is for the great room near the kitchen, I can understand your initial idea of a painting or group of pieces, since there is already so much light and many windows surrounding the space. That would make more sense in your case, I think. I can picture something lush and green, with a mix of blues in the sky, with your coral pink and cream. I imagine you might have flowers outside near the pool, so maybe flowers wouldn't be a good choice in a painting also.

A lot of landscapes these days, how about something with people in the pic, too?

What type of art do you imagine in the room? Some textured originals would be nice!

o

Deeinohio, your mirror is beautiful.

o
RE: Mirror over sof

Susan, a mirror is perfect! In EVERY decorating book i've ever read, mirrors ARE used as art or a replacement FOR art. Besides,there are no rules or boundaries in decorating, except those YOU choose to set, live with, and love.

To premier:a home is a reflection of what YOU love, not what others dictate.

o

And what's wrong with an inexpensive (or unconventional, if it were) option? Mirrors sure can be verrry pricey, at that, and the frames gorgeous! :)

o

I have a mirror over my couch because it helps bring in light from outside, otherwise due to the way the house is situated it would be really dreary inside. Plus a mirror adds a bit of sparkle and glamour to a home IMHO.

(I do have to adjust the height and centering of the mirror, I just bought this couch, the mirror was situated for the old couch.)

o

One side of my family room is just about all window (sliders, huge windows) while the other is a big solid wall. I used a big mirror over the couch and it looks fantastic in my humble opinion...like it added some light...almost a window...to that big expanse of wall. I had one of DD's paintings there originally, it was literally getting destroyed by the sun, and it is now in a shadier part of the house.

Give one a test drive, and if you don't like the effect you can return it :).

Nat

o
RE: Mirror over sofa - Yummmmm

Judithva...once again I have to compliment you...that room is stunning. The wall color is so yummy. That room looks so sunny with that mirror. Feast for the eyes.

o

That's lovely Judithva...I like the mirror touching the sofa even if it does need moving over.

o

Yes Judith, beautiful sofa and mirror and room!
You posted a fine example of the glory of mirrors!
Love the mirror, and yes it needs to go higher.

I have my sofa in front of my window, however have a mirror between my curios in the living room. I used to have an painting of my house there, put the painting on the opposite wall, cause I really like the way a mirror brightens up a room!

Joann

o

Thank you all. Here is a pic of sofa area where I need to hang something. Dont know what. I love tropical pictures, but most are too bright for what I am looking for. I wanted a more subdued peaceful picture. I know, I am so picky.
I regret that this post caused a problem, but Les does give great advise, I always look forward to reading her posts. She is extremely talented and has perfect manners when it comes to expressing her opinions.

I loved all the mirrors shown, they are divine.

Again thanks for all help, opinions and sharing of pics and of oneselves.

Susan
this is the wall I am look for picture

this is full view of room

this is what would reflect off of mirror

Thanks again

o

I guess Bunny Williams didn't know what to put over her sofa ;-) Personally, I love mirrors and think a mirror over a sofa can look really great.

o

deeinohio, I was just watching a rerun of that HGTV show where they makeover rooms to look like designer rooms. I don't know how much you paid for the mirror you picture on this thread, but according to the show the designer room had one identical for $1,544. To think they aren't even in style!! Hhhmmmmm.

o

There is a large picture at Target that has dark brown frame and the "painting" is of large orange/red poppies. It may look really pretty in your room. I was originally thinking you need to paint the wall another color or bring in a large rug for the room, but then thought of the poppy picture. It is only about 90ish smackeroonies but I really like it.

My only opinion about mirrors is that they reflect the room. My sister, because she does whatever decorating ideas I tell her about, purchased a very ornate gold mirror, very boroque?? She put it over her buffet. Her furniture is carved wood and any plain mirror would have looked lost. She has had so many compliments because the mirror blends with the decor so well. Most say they would never have been so bold but see how anything else would not have looked good. Personally I would never have bought that mirror, but that is because it would have looked stupid in my home. But in hers it is marvelous.

I think the right mirror would be fine but I think that wall needs some color that a picture would offer. Your reflective view is nice but I like the pic idea. I know it is hard leaving something blank until you find what you want, but it will be worth it. Heck, I have a huge hole in my wall since April because we had not come up with a design idea for our fireplace until this last month. You will find either a lovely picture or a mirror that compliments the room.

o

I do not know why, but for me this wall calls out for some African masks, or other ornate dark wood decoration ;)

o

I am a big fan of Paul Klee, and I wonder if you might find a somewhat tropical piece of art that has some of the colors you're looking for (more subdued).

And please know that it wasn't your post that caused a problem!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: paul klee

o

Oh, Judith! Swooooooon! That's truly one gorgeous room!

o

Judith, good to see you posting. Your room is so very pretty and well done. I know you have been busy redecorating and upgrading. We want a full house of pictures soon!

o

I have a question about Judith's room. I truly do not mean this is a smart alecky way. But what do you DO in that room? I think it looks gorgeous, and when I see pictures like that in magazines I think--wow, that's beautiful and interesting, but no one really lives like that! Well now I see that at least one someone really lives like that, so I hope you don't mind my asking. Do you clear off the table and have guests in that room, or entertain with all the beautiful adornments on the tables? Do adult members of the family have cocktails there? Is it more of an "extra" room that you can see and enjoy visually but don't spend time in?

If you (or others) don't mind responding, I would truly be interested in knowing more!

o

o

Judith, your room is stunning.

o

Lynnski, I'm not Judith, but just judging from a few things in her photo, it looks to me as though she kicks off her shoes (are those slippers on the floor?), has an iced drink (on the side table), and flops down on the sofa to read! Looks like an awesome place for an adult (or two) to relax and unwind, and I can also envision having a couple of friends over for cocktails and sitting in this room. It's definitely a luxurious room, but it doesn't look austere to me at all. :-)

o

I think you should keep looking for artwork for over the sofa. The mirror is too similar to the windows and you have enough windows in the room already. :)

Check out ZGallerie's artwork.

Here is a link that might be useful: More artwork

o

Susan, I'm actually in agreement that a mirror isn't the best choice (after seeing the room). You need more weight (ie less reflective glass) on that wall.

And ummmm Sussan...can I rearrange the furniture before we find the art? Pretty please? :oP I'd like to see you make an L shape with the two sofa's (leave the big one where it is and put the smaller one against the other side of the small table) then move the recliner to the corner by the fireplace with that little barrel table next to it under that window. And a rug under the coffee table? Your sofa's are lovely, but the recliner...well it's a recliner and those are better off NOT having their back and sides visible because they're just bulky without any style.

Ok now that I've offended...I'm also with the idea that tropical isn't really right for your place. I'd love to see a collection of antique botanicals (or reproductions) framed in a group over that sofa. Perhaps six medium sized pieces tucked tight together to read as one large piece. The balance would be nice against the big window on the other side. The six verses one is to give more weight to the space because of the frames (not huge frames, but a lot of them).

You can pick up midevil drawings on ebay quite cheaply or you can go to a library and get a book with pictures to copy and enlarge....just a few ideas :)

o

Hi Lynnski - I have a coffee table in my LR. On top is my wedding album, a stack of small chinese trays and an urn. There really is only room left for a few glasses. We leave it like that normally and will sit with a drink and put our feet up of the coffee table. If we have a plate or magazine, we place it on the end tables in the room. I have to admit, when we do have company and need to put out appetizers, I clear the coffee table. We don't entertain often and its not a big deal to move and put back. I love Judith's room. I never thought of putting out glassware like that, but I'm sure my kids would knock them over! Hope that helps.

o

Susan - Now that I can see your room - and I recall some long posts about it - I don't think that a mirror is the right solution. Among other things, it will reflect whatever is on the TV. Not a great sight. IMO you need some good color there.

I was thinking of a large tapestry. Not the usual Italianate/medieval type, but something South or Central American. However, looking at the botanical which Les posted, I think that those would be gorgeous. If you zoom up the picture, you can see that the detail is lovely. They are 18" wide, so three of them properly spaced would fit over the sofa very well.

Or something similiar that is large, makes a statement, and is full of color (which doesn't have to be extremely bright).

You could also put a throw over the back of the recliner to relieve some of the "big brown" look.

o

To jaams and patricia43 - Thanks for the compliment on my husband's handiwork with my mirror; I'll pass it on to him and I know he'll beam with pleasure. Also to jaams, I'm sorry, but I looked at our paint cans and the only thing I could find regarding the wall color was "Belle Grove Light Amber," which we used in the great room. The living room is acually one shade darker, but that can was missing. We got the paint at Lowe's, but the color does have a green undertone, and sometimes at night, the great room color looks a bit funky.

o

Judith - that is one gorgeous room!!

o

How are mirrors like this:

Or a metal sculpture? Or a tapestry?

o

Thank you to acorena, bumblebeez, Joann, auntjen, patricia, robbyrob, motherof3, cattknap, for the nice comments on my living room.

Lynnski, To answer your question "do I live in that room?". Most definately. You see, I have a very small house, only 940 sqft. That living room you see is what I have to live in. It is extremely practical for me, and people who come to visit (not alot of people all at once of course LOL)

Auntjen you have a good eye LOLO, yes, those are 2 pairs of slippers on the floor, and yes, that is my water drinking glass on the end table, and next to that glass you can see my stack of just paid bills with my checkbook. What you don't see in that pic is my laptop, which was not in the shot. I also have a tv in that room and sometimes my "vignette" table set up. And on the coffee table (which appears smaller than what it really is) is holding a constant and ever changing title of books that I am reading at the moment, from decorating,gardening, how-tos and and occassional biography. There is actually plenty of room to set down glasses and even plates of snacks if need be (for the casual drop in or just me). If I am having a small "do" then I will clear the coffee table, and put out food and drinks on it. Because I love doing vignettes, the surface of the coffee table changes ALOT! LOLOL.

The skinny light in front of the endtable and near the chair (covered in simple chenille material) is my reading light. The couch is very comfy too, and the couch material is leather, which I love and find very practical for my lifestyle, just wipe up a spill, or if I am a bit dirty from gardening, no problem there either. Also, I have a very rambucious Yorkie, who is constantly jumping up and down from the chairs and couch, no problem there either. I still am looking for a nice area rug, and I need to replace the floors so that they will work with a Yorkie that sometimes has accidents LOL. So, yes, I most definately live in that room.

Last but not least, Princesssusan, please forgive me from hyjacking your thread. I enjoyed looking at your room, you have a lovely home, I sure wish I had those high ceilings! The ladies here have given you lots of great ideas, and like a few have said, just be patient and the right thing will come along that will not only look lovely in your home, but give you joy too. Enjoy the journey!

o

Oh Judith, thank you so much for "sharing" your room with us. I consider it a real gift to, not only, see such a beautiful room but to have it actually shared with us in this way is amazing. It's the stories behind all of our homes and how we live in them that make them so special. Thank you again for giving us this view into your lovely home!

o

Judith, your home is lovely. But more importantly your narrative has really defined what 'home' is. A place of pleasure and comfort and practical but charming function. Congratulations on creating such a fine example!

o

Susan -

I'm definitely not a decorator so the following are JUST some ideas for you to consider. Don't want to risk getting sucked into the whole 'who is an expert? who is a jerk?' discussion! LOL

I like your room but I do think igloochic's suggestions for rearanging the furniture a little bit might be a good idea. If nothing else, it costs absolutely NOTHING to try out another arrangement and see if you like it.

Also, though you didn't ask, I think having the drapes over that one window go clear to the ceiling is a mistake. The drapes creates two vertical lines and the blinds and window sash create horizontal lines so that the entire wall ends up feeling "chopped up" into a bunch of little rectangles with no particular point of interest. Maybe using the panels to create swags that are caught at the corners of the window and then hang down the sides just a little way would do it. Again, you could try this by slipstiching and thumbtacking the curtains into the new position to see how you like it. If it doesn't work, try something else or go back to the way you have them.

I also think your room could really use a couple of green plants. A tall fern in one corner and maybe a philodendron or two.

As for what to put over your sofa, my first thought was that, with your high ceilings, you really needed something relatively tall to help move the eye upward a little bit... something that reaches upward to the same height as your windows. I also adore the red baskets you have under the table and the red on the dining room wall and would look for something to hang on the wall that has at least some of that red color in it, plus some beige and cordovan brown (like your sofas and chair) and a touch of gold (like the pillow) to help tie everything together.

The curved-inward legs on your tables, that plant stand that is visible against the red wall, the way you have hung the silk(?) tassles above those two windows, the cat statue in the corner, and the three figurines you have on the mantle all have an exotic Polynesian/Oriental feel to them. So, I think you need art that is equally exotic to hang over your sofa. However, I agree with other posters that a tropical print might be a bit too bright for the room. The African masks idea is on the right track but doesn't feel quite right to me because such masks are so dark and 'masculine' feeling. Your light colored sofas and flowered drapes are more feminine so I think the masks would look out of place.

So, staring at the picture of your room with all of the above in mind, I suddenly had a crazy thought. What about a Japanese kimono?!?!

There can be no doubt that a beautiful kimono is 'art' and, when hung by running a dowel rod thru the sleeves, kimonos hang in a marvelous T - shape that is tall and wide without looking heavy. I think one would be just the right size for your wall. Plus, Kimonos come in all kinds of colors and patterns so finding one with a touch of that red and the other colors already in your room ought to be do-able.

I'm attaching a link to an example though I think this particular one is a bit too light and feminine for your room. When you're on the page though, if you click on 'home' you can navigate to a lot of other examples on the same site. I'll warn you that a lot of what is shown on this site are antiques - some of which are quite pricy - but a websearch would probably find sites selling more recently made kimonos that are equally lovely but a bit more economical.

Just a thought. If nothing else, this would certainly be something different.

Here is a link that might be useful: kimono site

o

Thanks bevangel for bringing up what's been bothering me also. I love the fabric, but I too think the drapes are hung too high. IMO, the height of the rods shouldn't be above the arch of the other windows.

I also noticed that the room has an asian feel and something along those lines would look great above the sofa. Love the kimono idea.

I can understand the furniture setup........one has to sit comfortably to watch TV! Where do you sit.........in the chair or the sofa on the right?
I'd put the sofa back in front of the window, place a rug under the sofa table and add another chair for TV watching.

o

I think a large mirror would add too much slick hardness to the room. If you were to put a big, lush, wool rug in there, then it would be different. But as it is, the ratio of hard surfaces to soft is a bit high in there.

Some sort of soft wallhanging art could work nicely to balance the hardness in the room. A very textured oil painting in subdued colors would work if you don't want a wallhanging. But I'd get a rug first and go from there. (If it was my room, I mean.)

o

Question for Judithva - what paint color is your room? I'm poking around on this forum this morning and yours is the second paint color that I just love - hope you don't mind me asking!

As for mirrors over sofas, I always thought I did not like that look, but that was before I saw this thread with all those gorgeous mirrors. I had no idea they could be so pretty! Whatever it is, artwork or a mirror, if it is pretty and goes with the room and you love it, how can it be bad?

o

Thanks again, robbyrob, and Les!

Papercrane, no problem at all, we are all here to learn, including me! LOL The color is Sherwin Williams (SW) Blonde. It looks nice at different times of the day and in the evening too (at least in my situation).

o

Thank you for the paint color, that is really helpful. And such a beautiful room!

~Lynne

o

You are all so generous with your help. I dont mind one bit when you all move my furniture, change my window treatments, in other words express you opinions. I take it all as help and appreciate it.

I do take into consideration all that is said, and try what is possible. As for the drapes, this was my first step in decorating the house. I thought to start there, for color. I love the deep coral in it and am adding this throughout the house. As for the drapes themselves, I had them made, since the lenght was impossible to find. The setup in the model home was the same style of drapes, so this is where I started.
Bevangel, I dont understand what you are explaining in changing the drapes. I will attempt it once I figure out what it is.
Anyone else, feels a solution to the drapes is needed, post away. I am open to all help.

I am looking at botanicals now. I did feel color was definitely needed.

Actually, I am off to shop as soon as I am done posting.

Please feel free to decorate my home any way you please. No offense ever taken. How could I be offended, you all helped so much.

Susan

o

I think I understand where Bevangel is going with the window treatment, but I would take a different route to close up some of that open wall space above the window, and hang the blinds higher on the wall. Maybe have them hung at the same height as the top of the arch windows, so the impression would be that the windows are all the same height. Then I think the drapery being hung as high as it is won't seem so noticeable.

o

I'm adding my thanks to Judith for sharing so much about how she lives in and enjoys her wonderful room. It's a beautiful room and a generous gift. Thanks!

o

I think a mirror in a beautiful frame looks better than some of the "art" I see in stores.

o

Hang it, dang it!

o

That's because real art is bought in galleries not stores.

o

Susan, please don't get me wrong, I think the pattern and colors on your drapes is fantastic and you've done a lovely job of pulling the colors from the drapes into the rest of the room via the pillows and baskets and things. I just think that all the horizontal and vertical lines on the double window needed to be "relieved" with some curves and angles to make the view of that wall a bit less static.

I wish I could explain better what I meant about using the panels to create swags over the windows. I'm sure there are probably terms to describe it exactly but, not being a decorator, I just don't know the language. Best I can do is point you to a picture that sort of shows what I meant. See the link.

Since you have a double window, you would probably need two "swags" (the downward curving part) but I would only have the ends hang down on each side of the window - not in the center. Does that makes sense?

If you do something like this, the swags will mirror the elliptical windows you have on the other wall (albeit, up-side down) and I've been told that repetition of shape is the visual equivalent of rhythm in music. I don't know if that is true but, hey, it sounds good. LOL! The "angled ends" of the part that hangs down on each side would, I think, also help to lead the eye toward the center of the window and thus to the view outside.

The link (which is to Waverly) shows how to make the window treatment they show but I WOULD NOT recommend that you do any cutting and re-sewing of your drapes until you've "tested" the look and decided that you like the swag better than what you had before.

To test it, you could just slip-stich the two panels together across one end to make a single very long panel. Then, get a couple of friends over to hold a shower-rod or a piece of PVC pipe in place for you to drape the material over.

If you can't tell, I'm all for making changes that don't cost any money and that CAN BE UNDONE if they don't work out before spending a lot of money re-decorating.

Which leads me to another comment. If you liked the idea of using a kimono on the wall over your sofa but don't want to spend the money that the really fancy ones seem to cost, it turns out that kimono are apparently ridiculously easy to make. All straight seams. (I did a bit of web searching last night after I posted.) If you're reasonably handy with a sewing machine, you could probably make your own which would certainly simplify finding one in just the right material!

Here is a link that might be useful: window swag image

o

Susan,

Disclaimer: I am not a designer, just a little ol' lurker wanting to contribute her 2 cents. :o)

Your room is beautiful, and in the homes I've toured, before we built our home, I saw some gorgeous mirrors in various places throughout the homes, including the living/great room, and over couches. I do agree with others, though, that in your case, some type of artwork would look great, especially with your neutral-colored walls. I have checked out art.com, but I'm a little hesitant to order something I haven't seen in person. I may try ordering a small piece first to see how it goes.

Also, I always look forward to Les' advice, as she is obviously a very talented individual. In fact, in the short time I've lurked here, she has outperformed a designer we paid over $100 per hour to assist us with design choices for our home. We ultimately fired this degreed "designer", and it was one of the smartest decisions we made. I only wish I had known about this forum sooner.

Jan

o

I have decided to get a picture and am still searching. I came across this one at a store and it is also on art.com. Do you think this is okay? Please give comments, as I can purchase this immediately.

bevangel, I didnt feel you didnt like the fabric, just the way I had it hung. I do realize now how you think the drapes would look better (pictures help me tremendously).
Thanks for the link, and I will try the change.

o

princess, forgive me I don't mean to highjack your thread, just need to ask Jan a question. Jan, last photo's I saw were of your gorgeous kitchen, adjoining room and foyer when you first moved in. I haven't seen any photo's since. I'm curious as to how you decorated the room right off the kitchen. You've inspired me to paint my kitchen red and I'm just trying to picture the far end of the opposite room that opens up to the kitchen and how I'll bring red into that room. Thanks so much. I hope you don't mind that I'm copying your idea. Hope you see it as a huge compliment. I need others people's visions because this stuff does not come naturally to me.

o

Susan, I first will say that art is a very personal choice, so if YOU love it, then buy it.

If you are asking my opinion, I went to art.com to get a better look, and in all honesty, it feels a little creepy to me - kind of dark, and all the red along the bottom is odd. I don't know what that is supposed to be, can't tell even in a larger view, but frankly, it makes me think of something bloody.

Also, I would really think about doing a pair or a trio of prints, not just one, to fill that wall space better. Your art should probably be wider than just the couch width, or it will end up looking like one little piece on a sea of wall.

o

Thanks Les, It is dark but I not as dark as shown on art.com. I never thought of going wider than the sofa. If I do trio and two, how much wider than the couch width do I go? Hate being such a pest, but I havent a clue with this.

Thanks

Susan

o

I did a caca job with this but I'm gonna toss it out there anyway ;)

For kicks I lowered your window side panels, too. Guessed at the size of the print because I couldn't find it on art.com.

o

Yes - re-arranging the furniture was wisely suggested above would be the first step.

Next -- look for a large landscape with your rich orange color in it AND some black -- to visually balance the TV/fireplace area.

Perhaps consider an area rug (even a simple plain sisal rug) to draw in that conversation area? And more lamps -- maybe a standing lamp behind the dark brown chair?

On each side of the fireplace area -- perhaps matching dark brown bookshelves? Add baksets and decorative pottery with those great colors or tropical orange and leafy green.

o

Sorry, haven't followed all of this or checked back for a couple days -- wanted to raise the natural shades as I thought Les had suggested (haven't forgotten MiMi's place :)

I thought some texture with a sisal would be nice. This one is an indoor/outdoor.

Saw these art prints on Horchow, which reminded me of what nice calming colors would feel good in some artwork over the sofa. The flavor is nice also.

I've seen those nice cats in series, so thought a grouping might look nice. And an easy Plantain Lily.

Also painted/covered the two switches by your back kitchen door. Cleans it up a bit! :)

I see Moonshadow has been here and now I don't have to hang that pic over the sofa! and we can see lowered curtains as well :) Nice job!

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

o

Squirrel, those prints would be perfect.

o

And here are the pics Les had picked earlier, along with one I found -- similar to the recent one you posted but calm as you had wanted and with a more Asian feel than the tropical. The first botanical may be a bit too tropical for the water scene, but there were some others to choose from.

o

How about this for a reflection (link):

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirrors

o
RRE: Mirror over sofa

o

there are some beautiful pictures, maybe will be help.

Here is a link that might be useful: wall mural

o

I'm thinking you might want a landscape, since they tend to be horizontal... and they might add some roundness, or softness, to the space. Let me know if my thinking is askew...

Here are some ideas:

"Reds" by Katherine M. Hurley:

Red Hedge by Mark Bohne:

Tuscan Countryside by Bob Krist:

Transcendence by Gregory Williams:

o

Thank you so much for the changes. I like the shades brought up, what a difference that makes.

I do like the landscape kind, but want in toward tropical, similar to mclarke colors.

I also like the idea of six prints, but wouldnt know what size to look for.

Can you tell me what size these pictures need to be. My sofa is 82" long.

I like the cat grouping! Never saw the other ones.

Thanks all.
Susan

o
prints

"I do like the landscape kind, but want in toward tropical, similar to mclarke colors."

This is a little more challenging, since tropical landscapes tend to come in bright tropical colors -- not reds and browns.

However, here are some possibilities:

Poch Romeu : "Jardin con Palmeras":

Here are two prints that could be hung side by side -- "Tropical Desire I" and "Tropical Desire II" by Muriel Verger --

Or "Tropical Treasures IV and II" by Barbara Mock --

Am I getting closer?

o

Oh, I really like those last two, mclarke, those are really nice!

o
tropical prints

Thank you, Moonshadow. (Love your name.)

Here are two more that I like -- by Samuel Blanco -- tropical theme, subdued colors:

o

Okay, now after all the discussion - we can get to business!!

I really like the Tropical Desire set- framed in thick dark frames. It is bold and would help balance out your coral accented kitchen.

Didn't you have 2 accent chairs in there before? I would bring one back in to go next to the fireplace on the loveseat side. Center the loveseat under the windows - drum table between accent chair and loveseat with a floor lamp. Move the cat on that space as you enter the LR. Put the monkey on the other side of the fireplace with a plant on him. Just trying to balance the sides of the room out. I understand the recliner probably has to stay where it is - men love to be looking at the TV from straight ahead!!(mine makes it so much more difficult to decorate)

Really like the woven blinds pulled up.

Smiles:)
Your space is very pretty.

Judith - your room is just perfect!!

o
tropical

I like those the best too... the brighter colors echo the accent wall...

Princess, if you want to see what the "Tropical Desire" prints look like in a heavy dark frame, you can go here --

Click on "Custom Frame It" and you can see the print with different framing options...

Here is a link that might be useful: Framing for

o

o

whew, these are going to be tough choices. I like all of them. I hate to have to make choices, as if that isnt obvious.
As for the accent chairs, I got rid of them. They were just too large for the room. So now I do need a chair, any suggestion? Also need a small table/cabinet for the cable box and dvd player.

Now, for the pictures what size am I looking for? Do I try to full in the whole sofa area, larger, smaller. I was out all day today looking sets of 3, 4 or 6. Do they need to match or just have to be the same style? Could not find anything more than 2 in a set.

Thanks
Susan

PS: as soon as the DH is out of the house, the furniture will be reaaranged!

o

Nice work, everyone. Some great art choices.

Squirrel, thanks for raising up the blinds - it really does pull things together better, I think.

Jan in Wisconsin, I want to thank you for your kind comment. That was a lovely compliment! I have tucked that away in my 'someday I am going to be a decorator' file, for inspiration and confidence-building.

o

I don't know why I'm doodling with this, but I am! Kind of like a song that gets stuck in your head or something :) A good song, of course!

Something round is nice. A sunny tropical sun. The sconces actually looked like tropical leaves, although they may be stylistic oak, lol. Not sure what size they are, but the black wr iron mirror is 27".

I think bringing more of the warm colors and touches of coral around the room warms it up. I also like bringing some of the curtain material/color to the sofa -- The pillow could be pillow tucked or something so as to not be too matchy.

o

o

Forgot to mention I like the blinds pulled up that SQH did rather than the panels lowered as I did. And wow, something round on the wall does look pretty good, it ties into the arch of those beautiful windows.

o

That's it! You're right on why the round works so well -- sets of three, rather than just the two windows.

I also seem to prefer a grouping of smaller pics over the sofa, probably because of the tv. A rug, imo, anchors the space, warms the slick tile, and pulls the gathering area together too.

o

Wow. That round piece is SO right on! And who would ever have guessed without the virtuals?

Squirrel, the service you provide is incredibly valuable. I know you can't advertise on this forum, but can you put in a PayPal link on your MyPage???

o
REE: Mirror over sofa

Ha! Lynnski. Thanks so much :) FlyLeft suggested a gift to my favorite charity (thanks .. best idea I've ever heard!). I mean to ask Tamara if that would be ok to put a Charity Badge on my link, and it would feel so productive! It would be a wonderful thing for the volunteers to be able to do.

o

Squirellheaven,
You cant imagine how helpful you have been. Pictures are what helps me so so much. I love what you have done.

Thanks
Susan

o

For a great reference or inspiration photo -- check out Bunny Williams new book -- Bunny Williams' Point of View -- the cover of the book has a picture of her tropical living room in the Dominican Republic -- with a BIG mirror over the sofa! LOL!

And two large painted panels (with tropical palm trees) on each side (over the end tables and lamps) AND a sisal rug!

o

I hope that's wasn't a cue to stop! lol ....

Speaking of panels, I just found these two on Touch of Class. They're 12" x 36" each. And here are some other 'effects' to look at, just using some of the stuff and dark frames around. Pic #4 looks too low on the frames, oh well.

o

Oh, and here's one more. (Notice the handle on your hubby's chair is painted/stained dark :) Those are just colorful tea candles in the votives.

Tropical Serenity Wall Plaque

o
REE: Mirror over sofa

Wouldn't it be great if you could have panels made for the tv, unless it's just always open, of course :) With the amount of space to the sides, maybe a four-panel foldback.

o

Staggered panels looks nice. I adjusted the colors here with less orange/yellow and some coral. I bet you could make something like this. Maybe a decoupage kind of thing if not paint.

You can just block out the sun burst or sconces with your hands if you don't like that sort of thing, to see just the picture layouts above :)

o

Wow, I now have a new fan? Nice touches in the room. I like the flowers in front of the fireplace very much. I do like the round piece, found some more on web, but I think pictures are needed for color.

Where did the rug come from, I like it.

If I get two pictures, how wide and high do they need to be? And if three, what would I need.

Thanks
Susan

o

Congratulations, Susan, on your new fan! It goes a long way in making your room--and tropical art--more cohesive. The previous fan (the one you actually paid $$ for) contributed to a kind of sterile look, IMO.

o

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the op's room was some contoured rather wide ledges spaced over eachother in which taller yet narrow artwork & some sculpture pieces with some bold colors could fit on the bottom ledge and maybe a nice vase with some large branch type foliage off to one side, and than some smaller pieces for the top ledge.

o

Hi Susan, that's just a sisal rug, they're everywhere! I agree some color on the wall that wall is needed.

Well, looks like we lost the regular group here. I don't know, maybe they're on dial-up. What a drag.

You are asking about sizes again :) I usually gauge things in elevation drawings to scale (head-on) and don't know what the guidelines are. There surely are some :) I'm thinking maybe 2/3 of the wall space? Those things always depend on your selections. I'd work from your primary, favorite piece. Combinations are infinite!

o

I think squirrel could read my mind on what I was explaining and maybe do a mock up of the ledges just for a different choice. LOL

o

Maybe something to tie in the brighter color in the other room?

Also, there was someone on here who gave their ceiling fan an oil rubbed bronze finish, and I think tea stained the frosted bowl, and it resulted in quite a transformation. A quick search should turn it up, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: example of all posters' coral posters

o

I still like Les's botanicals the best. Or something similar - not wildly colorful, but enough drama to make a statement.

We just had a 5.6 earthquake, centered about 40 miles away in San Jose. The house rolled for a few seconds. That's why I never place any loose objects on shelves over seating or beds.

Also like the fan. This room is gaining considerable warmth and "finish"!

o

sable, I just saw that the 5.6 earthquake hit 9 miles NE of San Jose on Fox News cable. I think there will be at least one or two more, maybe much smaller in the next day or two. Hope no one gets hurt.

o

Squirrel can you move the recliner to the corner by the fireplace...it's making me crazy.

And you could be kind to the dear and help her pay for some of this by leaving a pile of money on her coffee table...or perhaps a pot of gold? :oP

o

Igloo, I don't have a good chair for the corner so I put the big plant there to fill it out a bit :) DH needs the chair there! to watch the telepoo. I did camoflauge its control lever with paint, though ;)

o

Threegrad - There have already been a bunch of aftershocks, all at about 2.0, which aren't felt. The Monterey Peninsula is basically a high hill of granite, so we don't feel much below a 4.5 anyway. And no reports of injuries anywhere. This was an odd one, like a double shaker. A big thump, then a few seconds of nothing, then everything rattled and rolled. Not long enough to get frightened though.

Learned my lesson about what to hang where during the 1989 Loma Prieta 7.1 shaker. Nothing that is breakable, heavy, or not glued down goes over five feet high in my house, except for pictures and am very cautious about placing mirrors. And our water heater is double-strapped to a concrete wall in our tiny basement. And, of course, no one builds with bricks. AFAIK it's against code.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here