Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan1208

Mirror over sofa

susan1208
16 years ago

I have searched high and low for a picture to put over my sofa. Just cant seem to find one.

I was now thinking maybe a mirror or iron. Can you all please share your pics please, so I can get some ideas.

Thanks

Susan

Comments (106)

• nsb123
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I think a mirror in a beautiful frame looks better than some of the "art" I see in stores.

• frazoo
    16 years ago

Hang it, dang it!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    16 years ago

That's because real art is bought in galleries not stores.

• bevangel_i_h8_h0uzz
    16 years ago

Susan, please don't get me wrong, I think the pattern and colors on your drapes is fantastic and you've done a lovely job of pulling the colors from the drapes into the rest of the room via the pillows and baskets and things. I just think that all the horizontal and vertical lines on the double window needed to be "relieved" with some curves and angles to make the view of that wall a bit less static.

I wish I could explain better what I meant about using the panels to create swags over the windows. I'm sure there are probably terms to describe it exactly but, not being a decorator, I just don't know the language. Best I can do is point you to a picture that sort of shows what I meant. See the link.

Since you have a double window, you would probably need two "swags" (the downward curving part) but I would only have the ends hang down on each side of the window - not in the center. Does that makes sense?

If you do something like this, the swags will mirror the elliptical windows you have on the other wall (albeit, up-side down) and I've been told that repetition of shape is the visual equivalent of rhythm in music. I don't know if that is true but, hey, it sounds good. LOL! The "angled ends" of the part that hangs down on each side would, I think, also help to lead the eye toward the center of the window and thus to the view outside.

The link (which is to Waverly) shows how to make the window treatment they show but I WOULD NOT recommend that you do any cutting and re-sewing of your drapes until you've "tested" the look and decided that you like the swag better than what you had before.

To test it, you could just slip-stich the two panels together across one end to make a single very long panel. Then, get a couple of friends over to hold a shower-rod or a piece of PVC pipe in place for you to drape the material over.

If you can't tell, I'm all for making changes that don't cost any money and that CAN BE UNDONE if they don't work out before spending a lot of money re-decorating.

Which leads me to another comment. If you liked the idea of using a kimono on the wall over your sofa but don't want to spend the money that the really fancy ones seem to cost, it turns out that kimono are apparently ridiculously easy to make. All straight seams. (I did a bit of web searching last night after I posted.) If you're reasonably handy with a sewing machine, you could probably make your own which would certainly simplify finding one in just the right material!

Here is a link that might be useful: window swag image

• jan_in_wisconsin
    16 years ago

Susan,

Disclaimer: I am not a designer, just a little ol' lurker wanting to contribute her 2 cents. :o)

Your room is beautiful, and in the homes I've toured, before we built our home, I saw some gorgeous mirrors in various places throughout the homes, including the living/great room, and over couches. I do agree with others, though, that in your case, some type of artwork would look great, especially with your neutral-colored walls. I have checked out art.com, but I'm a little hesitant to order something I haven't seen in person. I may try ordering a small piece first to see how it goes.

Also, I always look forward to Les' advice, as she is obviously a very talented individual. In fact, in the short time I've lurked here, she has outperformed a designer we paid over $100 per hour to assist us with design choices for our home. We ultimately fired this degreed "designer", and it was one of the smartest decisions we made. I only wish I had known about this forum sooner.

Jan

• susan1208
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I have decided to get a picture and am still searching. I came across this one at a store and it is also on art.com. Do you think this is okay? Please give comments, as I can purchase this immediately.
    {{gwi:1848477}}

bevangel, I didnt feel you didnt like the fabric, just the way I had it hung. I do realize now how you think the drapes would look better (pictures help me tremendously).
    Thanks for the link, and I will try the change.

• brutuses
    16 years ago

princess, forgive me I don't mean to highjack your thread, just need to ask Jan a question. Jan, last photo's I saw were of your gorgeous kitchen, adjoining room and foyer when you first moved in. I haven't seen any photo's since. I'm curious as to how you decorated the room right off the kitchen. You've inspired me to paint my kitchen red and I'm just trying to picture the far end of the opposite room that opens up to the kitchen and how I'll bring red into that room. Thanks so much. I hope you don't mind that I'm copying your idea. Hope you see it as a huge compliment. I need others people's visions because this stuff does not come naturally to me.

• les917
    16 years ago

Susan, I first will say that art is a very personal choice, so if YOU love it, then buy it.

If you are asking my opinion, I went to art.com to get a better look, and in all honesty, it feels a little creepy to me - kind of dark, and all the red along the bottom is odd. I don't know what that is supposed to be, can't tell even in a larger view, but frankly, it makes me think of something bloody.

Also, I would really think about doing a pair or a trio of prints, not just one, to fill that wall space better. Your art should probably be wider than just the couch width, or it will end up looking like one little piece on a sea of wall.

• susan1208
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Les, It is dark but I not as dark as shown on art.com. I never thought of going wider than the sofa. If I do trio and two, how much wider than the couch width do I go? Hate being such a pest, but I havent a clue with this.

Thanks

Susan

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

I did a caca job with this but I'm gonna toss it out there anyway ;)

For kicks I lowered your window side panels, too. Guessed at the size of the print because I couldn't find it on art.com.

• teacats
    16 years ago

Yes - re-arranging the furniture was wisely suggested above would be the first step.

Next -- look for a large landscape with your rich orange color in it AND some black -- to visually balance the TV/fireplace area.

Perhaps consider an area rug (even a simple plain sisal rug) to draw in that conversation area? And more lamps -- maybe a standing lamp behind the dark brown chair?

On each side of the fireplace area -- perhaps matching dark brown bookshelves? Add baksets and decorative pottery with those great colors or tropical orange and leafy green.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Sorry, haven't followed all of this or checked back for a couple days -- wanted to raise the natural shades as I thought Les had suggested (haven't forgotten MiMi's place :)

I thought some texture with a sisal would be nice. This one is an indoor/outdoor.

Saw these art prints on Horchow, which reminded me of what nice calming colors would feel good in some artwork over the sofa. The flavor is nice also.

I've seen those nice cats in series, so thought a grouping might look nice. And an easy Plantain Lily.

Also painted/covered the two switches by your back kitchen door. Cleans it up a bit! :)

I see Moonshadow has been here and now I don't have to hang that pic over the sofa! and we can see lowered curtains as well :) Nice job!

• brutuses
    16 years ago

Squirrel, those prints would be perfect.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

And here are the pics Les had picked earlier, along with one I found -- similar to the recent one you posted but calm as you had wanted and with a more Asian feel than the tropical. The first botanical may be a bit too tropical for the water scene, but there were some others to choose from.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

How about this for a reflection (link):

Here is a link that might be useful: Mirrors

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

• sue9288
    16 years ago

there are some beautiful pictures, maybe will be help.

Here is a link that might be useful: wall mural

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I'm thinking you might want a landscape, since they tend to be horizontal... and they might add some roundness, or softness, to the space. Let me know if my thinking is askew...

Here are some ideas:

"Reds" by Katherine M. Hurley:

Red Hedge by Mark Bohne:
    {{gwi:1848483}}

Tuscan Countryside by Bob Krist:
    {{gwi:1848484}}

Transcendence by Gregory Williams:

{{gwi:1848485}}

• susan1208
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the changes. I like the shades brought up, what a difference that makes.

I do like the landscape kind, but want in toward tropical, similar to mclarke colors.

I also like the idea of six prints, but wouldnt know what size to look for.

Can you tell me what size these pictures need to be. My sofa is 82" long.

I like the cat grouping! Never saw the other ones.

Thanks all.
    Susan

• mclarke
    16 years ago

"I do like the landscape kind, but want in toward tropical, similar to mclarke colors."

This is a little more challenging, since tropical landscapes tend to come in bright tropical colors -- not reds and browns.

However, here are some possibilities:

Poch Romeu : "Jardin con Palmeras":
    {{gwi:1848486}}

Here are two prints that could be hung side by side -- "Tropical Desire I" and "Tropical Desire II" by Muriel Verger --

Or "Tropical Treasures IV and II" by Barbara Mock --

Am I getting closer?

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Oh, I really like those last two, mclarke, those are really nice!

• mclarke
    16 years ago

Thank you, Moonshadow. (Love your name.)

Here are two more that I like -- by Samuel Blanco -- tropical theme, subdued colors:

{{gwi:1848493}}{{gwi:1848494}}

• johnatemp
    16 years ago

Okay, now after all the discussion - we can get to business!!

I really like the Tropical Desire set- framed in thick dark frames. It is bold and would help balance out your coral accented kitchen.

Didn't you have 2 accent chairs in there before? I would bring one back in to go next to the fireplace on the loveseat side. Center the loveseat under the windows - drum table between accent chair and loveseat with a floor lamp. Move the cat on that space as you enter the LR. Put the monkey on the other side of the fireplace with a plant on him. Just trying to balance the sides of the room out. I understand the recliner probably has to stay where it is - men love to be looking at the TV from straight ahead!!(mine makes it so much more difficult to decorate)

Really like the woven blinds pulled up.

Smiles:)
    Your space is very pretty.

Judith - your room is just perfect!!

• mclarke
    16 years ago

I like those the best too... the brighter colors echo the accent wall...

Princess, if you want to see what the "Tropical Desire" prints look like in a heavy dark frame, you can go here --

Click on "Custom Frame It" and you can see the print with different framing options...

Here is a link that might be useful: Framing for

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

• susan1208
    Original Author
    16 years ago

whew, these are going to be tough choices. I like all of them. I hate to have to make choices, as if that isnt obvious.
    As for the accent chairs, I got rid of them. They were just too large for the room. So now I do need a chair, any suggestion? Also need a small table/cabinet for the cable box and dvd player.

Now, for the pictures what size am I looking for? Do I try to full in the whole sofa area, larger, smaller. I was out all day today looking sets of 3, 4 or 6. Do they need to match or just have to be the same style? Could not find anything more than 2 in a set.

Thanks
    Susan

PS: as soon as the DH is out of the house, the furniture will be reaaranged!

• les917
    16 years ago

Nice work, everyone. Some great art choices.

Squirrel, thanks for raising up the blinds - it really does pull things together better, I think.

Jan in Wisconsin, I want to thank you for your kind comment. That was a lovely compliment! I have tucked that away in my 'someday I am going to be a decorator' file, for inspiration and confidence-building.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I don't know why I'm doodling with this, but I am! Kind of like a song that gets stuck in your head or something :) A good song, of course!

Something round is nice. A sunny tropical sun. The sconces actually looked like tropical leaves, although they may be stylistic oak, lol. Not sure what size they are, but the black wr iron mirror is 27".

I think bringing more of the warm colors and touches of coral around the room warms it up. I also like bringing some of the curtain material/color to the sofa -- The pillow could be pillow tucked or something so as to not be too matchy.

{{gwi:1848499}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

• moonshadow
    16 years ago

Forgot to mention I like the blinds pulled up that SQH did rather than the panels lowered as I did. And wow, something round on the wall does look pretty good, it ties into the arch of those beautiful windows.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

That's it! You're right on why the round works so well -- sets of three, rather than just the two windows.

I also seem to prefer a grouping of smaller pics over the sofa, probably because of the tv. A rug, imo, anchors the space, warms the slick tile, and pulls the gathering area together too.

• lynnski
    16 years ago

Wow. That round piece is SO right on! And who would ever have guessed without the virtuals?

Squirrel, the service you provide is incredibly valuable. I know you can't advertise on this forum, but can you put in a PayPal link on your MyPage???

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Ha! Lynnski. Thanks so much :) FlyLeft suggested a gift to my favorite charity (thanks .. best idea I've ever heard!). I mean to ask Tamara if that would be ok to put a Charity Badge on my link, and it would feel so productive! It would be a wonderful thing for the volunteers to be able to do.

• susan1208
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Squirellheaven,
    You cant imagine how helpful you have been. Pictures are what helps me so so much. I love what you have done.

Thanks
    Susan

• teacats
    16 years ago

For a great reference or inspiration photo -- check out Bunny Williams new book -- Bunny Williams' Point of View -- the cover of the book has a picture of her tropical living room in the Dominican Republic -- with a BIG mirror over the sofa! LOL!

And two large painted panels (with tropical palm trees) on each side (over the end tables and lamps) AND a sisal rug!

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

I hope that's wasn't a cue to stop! lol ....

Speaking of panels, I just found these two on Touch of Class. They're 12" x 36" each. And here are some other 'effects' to look at, just using some of the stuff and dark frames around. Pic #4 looks too low on the frames, oh well.

{{gwi:1848505}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Oh, and here's one more. (Notice the handle on your hubby's chair is painted/stained dark :) Those are just colorful tea candles in the votives.

Tropical Serenity Wall Plaque

{{gwi:1848510}}

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Wouldn't it be great if you could have panels made for the tv, unless it's just always open, of course :) With the amount of space to the sides, maybe a four-panel foldback.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Staggered panels looks nice. I adjusted the colors here with less orange/yellow and some coral. I bet you could make something like this. Maybe a decoupage kind of thing if not paint.

You can just block out the sun burst or sconces with your hands if you don't like that sort of thing, to see just the picture layouts above :)

• susan1208
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow, I now have a new fan? Nice touches in the room. I like the flowers in front of the fireplace very much. I do like the round piece, found some more on web, but I think pictures are needed for color.

Where did the rug come from, I like it.

If I get two pictures, how wide and high do they need to be? And if three, what would I need.

Thanks
    Susan

• lynnski
    16 years ago

Congratulations, Susan, on your new fan! It goes a long way in making your room--and tropical art--more cohesive. The previous fan (the one you actually paid $$ for) contributed to a kind of sterile look, IMO.

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

The first thing that came to my mind when I saw the op's room was some contoured rather wide ledges spaced over eachother in which taller yet narrow artwork & some sculpture pieces with some bold colors could fit on the bottom ledge and maybe a nice vase with some large branch type foliage off to one side, and than some smaller pieces for the top ledge.

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Hi Susan, that's just a sisal rug, they're everywhere! I agree some color on the wall that wall is needed.

Well, looks like we lost the regular group here. I don't know, maybe they're on dial-up. What a drag.

You are asking about sizes again :) I usually gauge things in elevation drawings to scale (head-on) and don't know what the guidelines are. There surely are some :) I'm thinking maybe 2/3 of the wall space? Those things always depend on your selections. I'd work from your primary, favorite piece. Combinations are infinite!

• cindyxeus
    16 years ago

I think squirrel could read my mind on what I was explaining and maybe do a mock up of the ledges just for a different choice. LOL

• acoreana
    16 years ago

Maybe something to tie in the brighter color in the other room?

Also, there was someone on here who gave their ceiling fan an oil rubbed bronze finish, and I think tea stained the frosted bowl, and it resulted in quite a transformation. A quick search should turn it up, I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: example of all posters' coral posters

• sable_ca
    16 years ago

I still like Les's botanicals the best. Or something similar - not wildly colorful, but enough drama to make a statement.

We just had a 5.6 earthquake, centered about 40 miles away in San Jose. The house rolled for a few seconds. That's why I never place any loose objects on shelves over seating or beds.

Also like the fan. This room is gaining considerable warmth and "finish"!

• threedgrad
    16 years ago

sable, I just saw that the 5.6 earthquake hit 9 miles NE of San Jose on Fox News cable. I think there will be at least one or two more, maybe much smaller in the next day or two. Hope no one gets hurt.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

Squirrel can you move the recliner to the corner by the fireplace...it's making me crazy.

And you could be kind to the dear and help her pay for some of this by leaving a pile of money on her coffee table...or perhaps a pot of gold? :oP

• squirrelheaven
    16 years ago

Igloo, I don't have a good chair for the corner so I put the big plant there to fill it out a bit :) DH needs the chair there! to watch the telepoo. I did camoflauge its control lever with paint, though ;)

• sable_ca
    16 years ago

Threegrad - There have already been a bunch of aftershocks, all at about 2.0, which aren't felt. The Monterey Peninsula is basically a high hill of granite, so we don't feel much below a 4.5 anyway. And no reports of injuries anywhere. This was an odd one, like a double shaker. A big thump, then a few seconds of nothing, then everything rattled and rolled. Not long enough to get frightened though.

Learned my lesson about what to hang where during the 1989 Loma Prieta 7.1 shaker. Nothing that is breakable, heavy, or not glued down goes over five feet high in my house, except for pictures and am very cautious about placing mirrors. And our water heater is double-strapped to a concrete wall in our tiny basement. And, of course, no one builds with bricks. AFAIK it's against code.