Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blondepegasus

Thinking About Painting Brick Fireplace Metallic!

blondepegasus
11 years ago

This is my fireplace, which is completely at odds with the rest of the room, which is decorated in a modern scheme with blacks/grays/silvers. I am seriously considering painting the brick a silver or pewter metallic color. Thoughts?

Comments (51)

• ellendi
    11 years ago

I would not do metallic. Someone here posted her fireplace that she painted black. It looks really good. I will try to see if I can find who it is. Hopefully she might see your thread and show you what they did.

• lindac
    11 years ago

Metallic paint on that fire place would very seriously reduce future selling price.
    To even consider selling you would have to repaint.
    If you must paint the brick....and I will agree it's not attractive brick, I would do white.

• User
    11 years ago

Which one of the redneck reality shows would you be featured on?

• terezosa / terriks
    11 years ago

How about painting it a charcoal gray?

• cat_ky
    11 years ago

Looks a whole lot like mine. I havent decided just what to do with it yet. Hubby liked it and didnt want me to do anything with it, but he passed away a few months ago, so, now it is just me living here, and I thinking, I need to make things so that I am more comfortable with them. I am going to think on it until this winter, I guess.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

I am the GW'er who painted her brick wall/fp black. I did consider adding a metallic wash or glaze or sporadic highlights, but opted to stick with straight black. I wasn't sure if I'd be able to create the effect I was imagining, or if I could even pin down said effect (it was a vague, not fully formed picture in my mind). I also felt that I would like the plain black a lot longer than I would with the addition of metallic accents.

It could look really cool, if done well. I couldn't even begin to suggest how to achieve that, having only used regular paint on ours. The best advice I can give, is really research the heck out of the how-to's, and what paints and tools you'd need to use, and then do some mock-ups. That said, I didn't do any sample bricks, just plunged right in!!!

• awm03
    11 years ago

The current brick color doesn't go with your room colors, so you have nothing to lose in trying a metallic paint. And if you don't like it , you can just paint over it with another color. I think you would have to do a thorough job researching the various metallics to get a look you like. I say give it a try!

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I also like the idea of gray-- in fact, I've been considering a gray surround for my fireplace. I think your brick covers too much of the wall and the metallic finish will completely overtake your space rather than complementing it.

• ellendi
    11 years ago

Hoolysprings, I just spit out my coffee!

• blondepegasus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, HollySprings - that was a bit harsh...LOL
    I saw this done on a respected design show on HGTV, which is where I got my inspiration. An old, outdated fp was painted a metallic bronze and the room was redecorated in a modern style and it looked amazing. I see nothing redneck about the proposed application!

Terriks - Charcoal gray is a color I have seriously considered. Even in that color, I would like a bit of a sheen or metallic property to it to tie in with other metallic elements I have going on.

Lindac - There isn't anything in my entire house that is white (trim, furniture, cabinetry, etc.). I think it would look too out of place and stark against the otherwise dark, warm palette already in place.

Funkyart - that is something to consider for sure. The room is on the small side. I would keep the custom hearth seat (added when my son was a toddler so he wouldn't get hurt falling into the brick) and thought that plus artwork might help break it up enough.

awm - that's what I figured. I've got nothing to lose. We own so it's not a matter of getting anybody's permission! If I hate it, I can always paint over it!

• blondepegasus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cat mom - do you have any pics of your fireplace? I'd love to see it!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I would think that metallic pewter or silver, which is cold and industrial, would have a vastly different feeling from metallic bronze, which is warm and textural.

But if you want to try it out, I'd recommend starting with a coat of dark rich gray in a matte finish, and then I'd brush, daub, and wipe on the metallic paint, and only on the face of the bricks themselves. If you do that, you can build up the metallic effect without losing the natural matte quality of the mortar, and keep a textural and more subtle feeling.

• dixieman
    11 years ago

I had a stone fireplace that I painted gray (because previous owners must have had some kind of fire that caused staining on the stones and I couldn't get it out) and was very happy with the results. I'll see if I can find a picture.

And it's only paint, so I say give it a try :)

Here's a repainted brick one from rate my space you might want to look at:

Here is a link that might be useful: From metallic orange to gray fireplace

• dixieman
    11 years ago

Here's a company that sells paint kits and has photos from people who painted their fireplaces. It might give you some ideas...

Here is a link that might be useful: Brick-Anew Paint Kit Testimonials

• Gracie
    11 years ago

In the spirit of Holly's honesty, you have gone into silver overload. Another silver wall will make it feel like you fell into a box of silver Christmas ornaments. Would you then keep the silver mantel accessories on the silver brick?

I would paint the brick white and add more white with a modern rug in white and black and possibly some gray or red, if you want to use red as an accent. Your red rug isn't modern and adds another huge plane of solid color. It's makes the room look like a red velvet-lined jewelry box stuffed with silver jewelry. Is that the effect you were after? I'd also consider reupholstering the ottoman with a pattern.

Your dark oak doors make me think your home is craftsman style, which isn't working with the contemporary. Is the dark oak throughout your home? If just the doors, I'd paint them or replace them.

• User
    11 years ago

If you want to inject a modern upscale look to the room, reface the fireplace in marble. And SEVERELY edit the room's other pieces. Starting with the red rug and the twiggy things in a vase on the ottoman(?).

• blondepegasus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

May Flowers - I have no intention of painting the brick with a one dimensional, bright, cold, industrial silver. It was my thought to layer in some darker toned metallics to keep the effect warm and textural. When I think of pewter, I think of a very dark, almost black color with a hint of silver showing thru. I'd probably use a minimum of 3 colors including bronze, pewter, and charcoal. I might even glaze over the paint to achieve more depth. I imagine it's going to take some serious experimentation.

My home isn't craftsman, but the wood tone does carry thoughout in the floors, baseboards, crown molding, doors, chair rails, etc. In a perfect world, I would have white wood, which I prefer and consider more modern. It's just too much to try to paint out in this house.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Sheesh.. there is candor and then there is just plain old nasty. If you want to give constructive criticism, check the tone at the door please.

I still like the idea of a gray.. and I like Bronwynsmom's idea about just sponging on a bit of metallic on the face to add a touch of glimmer without taking over the room. It is a large area and you've said the room is small.. so I'd think a touch of glimmer would be preferable.

I saw a contemporary/modern room on HGTV this morning that had beautiful gray brick. The link to Brick-Anew above has some lovely grays (I was looking at them for my own fireplace which is a not so lovely 60's pale blonde brick). While I am all for painting fireplaces-- your fireplace does have a nice organic, rustic design with the log holder cubby.. I fear the look may get confused if you go with *too* modern of a finish.

Check out the Brick Anew--personally, I'd try that first. If you want a bit more glimmer and sparkle after that, a nice big mirror where the artwork is would make the room look larger and add a reflective surface on a smaller scale.

• blondepegasus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Holly - the crimson area rug is up for elimination soon. I am changing to a shag or flokati style cream area rug.

• dakota01
    11 years ago

I have to agree w/some other posters - painting it a metallic will not help/change it from being traditional in style. Painting it black/charcoal may help to change the look. Maybe then use your metallic on the mantle only.

• lindac
    11 years ago

I see white in the texture on your walls, in the tweed of the ottoman and in the spray of twigs in the vase....I think white would set off your grey.
    Another option might to paint the bricks a fairly dark grey and then roll white...on a nearly dry roller, over the top.

• blondepegasus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Lindac - There isn't any white in the room at all. The walls are 3 shades of gray. The ottoman is gray and black and the twigs are silver. It must be the lighting that makes some elements look white.

Funkyart - Tell me about it! It's been a long while since I've visited this site and it certainly seemed more friendly last time I was here. I do think I will paint a base coat in a matte charcoal and dry brush or dry roll a bit of metallic for depth as you suggested.

Here is a pic I came across of a metallic fp. I think it's really beautiful. My idea was to do something similar, except in more pewter/silver/black tones to complement my room. I never intended to just brush on one bright metallic color and call it a day...LOL

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Here are some before/after pics of our fp/FR:

I certainly didn't worry about resale when I painted our fp/brick--if the next person hates it, he/she can paint it any color they want, try to strip it, or sheetrock over it. I seriously doubt someone is going to walk in and say--"oh, I would have bought the place if only they had left the brick in its natural state...."

We didn't particularly like the brick wall in this house, and bought the house anyway despite the brick (and the 1967 bathrooms and kitchen and other stuff that seriously needed re-doing). I also think people can see past the things they don't like if the pros outweigh the cons.

Have fun with it--it's your house! :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: cat_mom's FR

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I LOVE the black brick.. but I admit that I would have cautioned against it had I been asked before it was painted. I'd have been wrong-- it adds incredible depth and dimension to the room.

Give the metallic a try-- it will haunt you if you don't give it a try!

• blondepegasus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cat mom - LOVE your space! I have black leather furniture in my living room and love the aesthetic. Your fireplace looks great. I would probably do that if it weren't for my husband constantly complaining about our having too much black in our house. I know he would never let me do it. Plus, our room is already very dark without much natural light at all. That doesn't bother me in the least, but it does him. In any case, your room is very dramatic and has a real "wow" factor. Nicely done!

• oopsie913
    11 years ago

hollysprings, I am thinking that your comment was very nasty and shows a real bias and prejudice. Not feeling the love there. I actually have seen some rooms featured with some metallic paints and beautiful crystal chandeliers anyway, however I DO agree that it might hurt the resale. I am leaning towards a deep charcoal or even that black is wonderful as long as you contrast it with a lot of silver, pewter and light or crystal on mantel areas

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I was watching a recent Sarah Richardson and they stained the brick rather than painted it....it was a very nice effect as it kept the brick looking a lot more like brick with all its texture vs. paint which really flattens it out.

They had an option to apply the stain with a roller cut to the width of the brick so the grout was left untouched, or to apply with a brush so grout and brick matched.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

Does that wall paper or paint treatment abut the fireplace? Why not pick one of the lightest grays from that wall since you're concerned about making the room look darker? You could do the metallic treatment on the mantel as someone else suggested.

Glad to hear you're getting a cream rug. Cream pillows would be nice too. The flokati might be too much additional "fluff" with the overstuffed sofa and love seat though.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

funkyart, thank you. Most people had the same reaction as you when told we planned to paint it black, including the guy at the paint store, "black? really? You sure about that?". Every single one of them though admitted they were wrong about it, and loved the way it looked after we painted it.

blondepegasus thanks!!! Our FR window wall is under our deck, so not much natural light at all. I think the key was pairing the one dark wall, with 3 light-colored walls, and the dark furniture with other light elements, such as the floor, glass and metal end table, SS table lamp, etc.

• teacats
    11 years ago

Another vote for gray-painted brick.

Perhaps paint the mantel in black to work with the color of the fireplace opening.

Then consider switching to a silver round mirror above the mantel.

For the carpet -- a gray one would be best for the overall look of the space. Check overstock.com -- lots of contemporary gray area rugs ....

Here is a link that might be useful: bellacor -- silver contemporary mirror

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Blondepegasus, I assure you that this is indeed a friendly and gentle place.
    Perhaps hollysprings and may-flowers will soon realize that we all try to avoid a dismissive tone, and follow suit.

The bronze fireplace is very interesting...do notice that what makes it so attractive is the mix of colors and textures in the effect.

• sameboat
    11 years ago

What about a pearly gray as opposed to a metal metallic? Just a thought. But if your heart is set on the metallic, I think it could be cool - unexpected and contemporary!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

blondepegasus, I had started the last post and then submitted it before seeing your inspiration pic. I like that!!! I think that is something along the lines of what I was envisioning, but with black as the base color, and a metallic black, or silver on top of that. I know I can always add the metallic if I want to at a later date.

I actually had thought about staining the brick black, instead of painting it, but totally forgot to research that after getting he info/how to's for painting (!). I think either way would have looked good, just a different finished texture. I am sure I would also have liked the brick stained as well.

The finish with the paint looks like leather, and has an almost Tim Burton-esque quality! LOL

• blondepegasus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cat mom - I think that I have about decided to paint it black or charcoal, then do any metallic treatment lightly on top. I definitely all along have wanted a textured, multi-dimensional look. Can you give any tips about the actual painting process? Did you prime? How long did the process take? How many coats? What type of paint? Etc.

• blondepegasus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Teacats - I have also considered going with a gray area rug. You don't think it would be too much gray with the walls, floor, and large furniture pieces all being gray? Would you go with light, medium, or dark gray?

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Your plan of painting it black or charcoal and then trying a metallic treatment on top (in one area at first?) sound like a good one. If you don't like the metallic, you can always just paint over that area with the black/grey.

If you're worried about that area being too dark, I wonder whether it would be possible to use some type of narrow strip lighting along the back of the mantle, with the light directed upward. It could be a really cool look. You'd probably have to modify the mantle to hide the fixture, but that might not be too difficult if you could do it by just adding a board to the top of the mantle (leaving a gap in the back for the fixture). Of course I know nothing about lighting, aside from the fact that you'd need an outlet. Just a thought!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

If you are getting a new rug, how about something with patternn? Maybe gray,white with another color of your choice?
    As much as I like monochromatic looks, I think it will fall short here.
    Things can get a bit catty here, but since we are all strangers,I would not take anything personally. And even try t have a sense of humor too.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I think you've made a wise choice to go with the gray and try a little layering. I'm sorry that you had to read a nasty reply from one narrow minded poster and another who was never asked to critique your room, felt compelled to voice her opinion. There's no excuse for rude people. Just listen to the nice ones lol.

• gmp3
    11 years ago

It is only paint. You've decided you want to paint anyway, so go ahead with the metallic, but as others have said, keep it lighter. You have to like it, not the other posters, and obviously everyone has their own taste and even their own idea of what constitutes appropriate comments on a message.

Unless you are looking to sell soon, don't worry about resale. You can always repaint later, and will probably want to anyway when you sell.

I don't know if anyone else brought it up, but I don't think the wood mantle will go well with the metallic, perhaps the wood around the fireplace could be black.

It looks like your fireplace insert is brass. That can easily be repainted black using heat resistant spray paint.

• Oakley
    11 years ago

My vote is to do the color in the inspiration picture. Beautiful and not in your face, either.

That color (bronze?) goes with what you already have in your room, and if you ever get tired of the modern look, the color of the FP should go with about any style you want to change to.

If you don't do it you'll always have a little regret. If you do it anbd don't like it, paint it the charcoal. It's a win-win situation!

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

Good thinking.
    Do be sure to start with flat paint.
    What I have done in similar situations is to paint the first coat with flat paint, working it well into the grout, which you want to have a flat finish.
    Then you can paint over the face of the bricks with a low-luster satin finish, and follow with the metallic.

I don't bother to prime brick, unless it is sealed with something impermeable. If you do prime, use a dark gray primer.

And that's the end of my advice!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

The entire painting process took 4 days. I think I cleaned the bricks the weekend before I began painting. Our entire wall is brick, so I would think yours will take less time. I think I started painting late in the day on a Thursday (primer), finished the primer Friday night, first coat of paint on Saturday, and finished up with the second coat of paint that Sunday.

DH and I scrubbed the bricks with a powdered cleaner mixed with water (TSP-PF).

The primer (BM First Step, 100% Acrylic; tinted grey), took about a day and a half (maybe a day and three-quarters) to paint--DH helped briefly if I recall. I think I only used a brush, but might have rolled it on as well--I forget. It really soaked in so it was slow going. We did one coat of primer.

For the first coat of paint I just used a brush (don't remember if or how much DH helped with painting the first coat). Lots of nooks and crannies, crevices, and mortar lines, lots and lots of mortar lines needed to be filled or covered with paint.

The second coat went much faster. DH used a brush first, to paint all the mortar lines, and then I rolled on a decent coating of paint over the bricks using a really, really thick, fluffy roller cover (thanks to the recommendation of a professional painter who saw me eyeing the paint supplies at HD--I don't think that my go-to paint store even had a roller cover that fluffy!).

Then of course, there were the touch-ups. Where our side walls meet the bricks, there are gaps all up and down at those junctures. Combine those gaps with the wavy, bumpy brick wall, and you can well imagine how impossible it is to tape the bricks in such a way that no paint gets through. What's the opposite of a clean sharp line? LOL Luckily I'm tenacious (and more than a wee bit detail-oriented!), so I spent whatever time it took to touch it all up using my trusty array of small (and even smaller!) brushes. I think I did one side of the wall/room one day, and the other side the next.

FYI, small unpainted holes and spots might mysteriously appear after you've painted the brick (even weeks later)--the paint seems to form a bubble over or around cracks, crevices, and holes and then sucks in as it dries, leaving bare brick, or primer exposed. I went around with a tiny paintbrush, filling-in and covering up all of those spots with the black paint. I touched up all the mysteriously appearing holes/spots, as they appeared (or whenever I noticed them).

We used BM primer tinted grey as I mentioned (not as dark as I'd have thought it would be, and I would have liked it darker), BM Aura paint, matte finish, in Black, just plain old BM Black. Love Aura matte!

We used Purdy XL angled (and maybe flat, as well) brushes. I don't know the name of the roller cover--might have been a Purdy, but it looked like a thick and fluffy wad of sheep's wool on a roller.

• lala girl
    11 years ago

LOVE that Cat Mom!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Thanks laurainlincoln!!!! :-)

• blondepegasus
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for all the info. cat mom! Very helpful indeed.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Glad to help! You must post pics if/when you paint!!!

• User
    11 years ago

Hope you don't let anyone deter you from your original idea love your inspiration pic - Can't wait to see your finished product.

• artydecor
    11 years ago

Go for it! You obviously are talented at faux finishes, and I think you've done well so far with what you have- pulling in the red rug and yellow brick into your decor with dark red and bronze touches. If you want to limit it to charcoal, black, and silver, changing the brick can be your first step. Start out conservative, you can always add bling if you want. Consider changing the mantel to something more modern, and painting it silver.

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

FYI, Benjamin Moore introduced a new metallic paint over the summer: Molten Metallics Paint. Gloss finish paint, not a glaze. Gives a hammered metal effect. I just saw a little "blurb" about it in the November issue of House Beautiful.