Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melis918

What color walls with blue ceiling? Help!

Melissa Kroger
9 years ago

I am turning my oldest son's bedroom into a proper guest room and could use some help. It's been a mish- mash of old furniture and junk and I am finally emptying it so I can start from scratch. The problem is that I promised him that I wouldn't touch the ceiling, which is navy blue with the stars and planets painted on it. I can't figure out what color to paint the walls in order to tone down the celestial look! The crown molding and trim will be white, and I've ordered white shutters for the windows. I was thinking about a cream/off white upholstered headboard and an antiqued mirrored night stand and dresser from Pier One. The floors are dark distressed wood. I am terrible at visualizing it as anything but his childhood room, Any and all input would be greatly appreciated!

Comments (18)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Paint the walls a tan and the trim a beige and see if you can change your order for the shutters to beige.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

what's with all the double posting? I hit submit once. Odd.

This post was edited by Tibbrix on Sun, Oct 19, 14 at 19:51

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Blue ceiling, tan walls, ivory trim

Gorgeous!

• coll_123
    9 years ago

yeah, tan sounds like a good option to me, too. Can you post a pic so we can see what the ceiling looks like?

• lazydaisynot
    9 years ago

Another option would be to paint the walls a creamy white and go with a white and navy color scheme in the room. You could bring in an accent color as well if you like.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Though my ceiling is not navy, it is blue, and we have navy elsewhere in the room including the window treatment lining which shows. Love the BM pale moon wall color and one gal liked it so much that she painted her br the same color. I like it also because it isn't too masculine or too feminine so it works for whatever company we have.

I have more of a cobalt blue in our privy so went with a deeper shade of yellow...I think it's called BM man in the moon...

• Melissa Kroger
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a phot of the ceiling. It looks black, but during the day it reads blue.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ceiling

• User
    9 years ago

melis,
    Go with a nice creamy white. Something like vanilla, not bright white.
    You made a promise, so that is what I would do.
    It is going to be a guest room.
    Also, buy a nice carpet, something with color in it.
    Mabey white, a little black, a little red.
    It doesn't have to be a big carpet, just something decorative to stick on the floor.
    It will take the emphasis away from the ceiling. LOL.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

If you don't really want to work with the ceiling, and depending on how ambitious you feel, you could cover over the ceiling without harming it...maybe fabric draped like one of these:

or

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

That ceiling is fabulous. I definitely wouldn't paint over it.

It looks like there is a lot of beige and I see orange as an accent. I'd go with those colors...probably put beige on the walls, and then use the orange and navy as accents in the bedding and window treatments. Something like this...though here the gray walls really help brighten the room...

[Traditional Bedroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bedroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_715~s_2107) by Dallas Interior Designers & Decorators Denise McGaha Interiors

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Annie that last pic is the exact palette i have in my living room. I love blue and orange together.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I stayed in a B&B that had a stargazing ceiling.

More navy and play up the theme

Gray and white

• coll_123
    9 years ago

Mellis918, I forgot to mention that I love the ceiling- that looks very well done, and I wouldn't paint it out either- its fun! I would do the walls light gray or light tan, keep the white trim, and definitely get some orange accents in there somewhere!

• lascatx
    9 years ago

Nosoccermom found photos of two of my ideas -- more navy or a grey and keep the bedding light.

• emmarene9
    9 years ago

I love that ceiling.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

You could paint the walls a pale yellow and go with a Navy and yellow theme

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I still say a "Ralph Lauren" color scheme of dark blue and a tan/gold. Very masculine!

Sponsored
Jewel Marie Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Luxury Interior Design Services | Northern Virginia