Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lov_mkitchen

Machine Woven rug

My bargain sofa set has morphed into a whole room make over. What do you know about Machine Woven rugs? Are they thin like a bed blanket? Or are they stiffer like a rug? I will change my mind about décor in that room in about 10 years so a cheap rug is OK. And we never sit in there anyway. But maybe I will this winter if seeing it makes me happy. Winter is so long and cold. And DARK!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tayse Rugs Laguna Charcoal Floral Rug

Comments (22)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

A machine woven rug can be extremely durable. Karastan's rugs are machine woven and I have one that is fifteen years old that shows absolutely no wear. Karastan was introduced at the World's Fair (can't remember the year) millions walked on it and it held up beautifully. My Karastan is all wool and thick, the one you are looking at is synthetic. I doubt if it will be plush and cushy but it will probably wear well. Very pretty BTW.

• Imhappy&Iknowit IOWA zone 4b
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, holly-kay. I keep finding a "better one" the more I surf. I do like this black one. I think it's black? I found a cream background and a red background that I liked but I think the black since my sofa and two chairs have dirty tan background and my newest chair also has tan back ground. And the little flowers on the new chair are really bright! If I recover the sofa, it will probably be dark red so I was leery of the red rug. Thinking I might pull the trigger on the black one tomorrow. Oh, my poor credit card this month!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Yes, I think the black would look great. I used a black background rug in my breakfast area and I like it very much.

I can't wait to see pics of your room when you have the rug in place.

Original Author
    9 years ago

The plot thickens.
    left 8x10 $150
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/161423581476?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&var=460455398695&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

$121.56 center 8x10 http://www.ruglots.com/floral-medallion-black-traditional-rug-lots-1833.html
    $175.20 on the right 8x10 http://www.rugsale.com/rugs/rug/tayse-rugs-laguna/charcoal/51985/175548

The two on the left look really gold. Throw them all in a hat and I'd be happy with any of them. Do I buy by price? The one on the right is a slight favorite but who knows if that color is true or not. I'll post the mock up of the room next.

Original Author
    9 years ago

The $80 that started it all. The cream colored rug might be too light? And the black better? Although I don't like it together here.

Original Author
    9 years ago

The most expensive one :-(

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I like your first choice :)

Original Author
    9 years ago

Errant, the cream?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

Okay, so the charcoal rug is polypropylene, often used for indoor outdoor rugs. The pile height is listed as 0.35 so slightly more than 1/4" in height. Very thin. No description I've found for the rug indicates whether it's a loop or cut pile construction. That might be important to you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alternate Charcoal Rug

Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, Beverly. the colors are right. Or as right as anyone can tell on a monitor. I'll investigate that rug a bit.

The operative word in this new décor is cheap, cheap, cheap! It really needs to be not smaller than 8x10 which translates to 7 something by 9 something in the rug world. After I pull the carpet up I think there will be a lot of 1880 plank floor showing. I haven't seen it for a really long time but I think it's painted with porch paint; gray in the middle and maybe brown on the outside edge. I really don't know what I'm going to do and will wait until spring to pull the carpet up. This isn't even a remodeling project and yet it's morphed into a money pit!

Original Author
    9 years ago

I KNEW I shouldn't have gone there! Everything else I liked was on either side of $3,000! And now I can't get those out of my head!

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Lovmkitchen, I have a rug that looks very similar to your first post. It came from Lowes about 8-10 years ago. I got a set of 3 rugs -4x6, runner and door mat - for about $50, so that tells you they aren't the highest quality. That said, they all still look great!

I think with your light sofa you need a dark rug, but it will need a LOT of vacuuming! My rug is navy background and it takes about 10 minutes of very slow vacuuming to get that 4 x 6 thing clean.

Donna

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I had a polypropylene rug for years (like 10-12) in our keeping room off the kitchen. Held up to dogs, kids, spills, etc. passed it down to my son and DIL and they love it too. Soft, holds up great...what's not to like?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Lov, I like the cream but I do think you need the contrast of a dark rug with your light furniture. For three thousand you can buy a nice quality rug but I think you indicated redecorating in the next ten years? If so go with an inexpensive one until you are ready to commit to a more long term decorating scheme.

Original Author
    9 years ago

ms meow, I bet the rugs I'm looking at are exactly what you have. I've found the 3 pc. set like yours everywhere I found the bigger ones. Are they stiff or floppy?

Holly-kay, Yup. Inexpensive. I like to change things around. I dug out a 3x5ish size navy oriental and laid it in front of the sofa. Meh! I ordered something today........forgot which one, and will see when it comes about color and size. Maybe I should pull the corner of the carpet up .........No, no, no!! I will NOT start anything else until spring! The new rug can lay on top for now.

"you need a dark rug, but it will need a LOT of vacuuming!"

"Can't wait", she said sarcastically.

Did you guys use a rug pad? The rug web sites say you should. Wouldn't that make it easier to trip over the rug?

Original Author
    9 years ago

Any opinions on these two?

• decordummy_gw
    9 years ago

Strictly based on the style - out of the last two posted, I really prefer the one on the left.

I also like the alternate charcoal one.

I think what I'm liking about these is that there is no distinct centre medallion.

• msmeow
    9 years ago

Lov, they are stiff and not very thick. The design is a bit raised (even more after vacuuming LOL).

The cats have been exercising their claws on them since we've had them...they seem to be pretty indestructible. :)

Ooh, I like the red one on the left.

Donna

Original Author
    9 years ago

That's what I liked about it, too. And I think it might work in the room. The bad news......it's creeping into $1,000. I will have to pull the carpet up in a corner to see how bad the floor under it is. I still think it's painted floor boards. Not a double thickness of them, just the floor as it was installed in 1880.

• rachil
    9 years ago

If i could interrupt you in your creative home decor discussion, i would say you can go for cotton made rugs. They have durable pile, come in various designs, and anti-fade. And since you have to change your decor after few years it has to be something not very expensive, express your thoughts about this

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.therugshopuk.co.uk/liberty-glade-glade-green-mix-rug-fr1407.html

This post was edited by rachil on Thu, Oct 9, 14 at 5:12

Original Author
    9 years ago

rachil, Why would I buy from a foreign country? Are you going to give me free shipping? And that rug is the ugliest thing I've ever seen. I appreciate your advice on fiber content but I won't be buying anything from your web site.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Lov, cracking up over your comments to obvious SPAM!!

I once owned a house that was more than 125 years old. It was a total money pit. Depending on the size of your rug and the condition of the floor, you could refinish just around the edges. XH and I did that in a small parlor. We actually stripped the paint off of an area about 3 feet around the perimeter and refinished it rather than sanding off the paint. For a stop-gap measure it was fine.

Sponsored
Fineline Deck Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars11 Reviews
Women Owned Construction Company Specializing in High Quality Decks