Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bac717gw

still trying to figure out lr furniture arrangement

bac717
9 years ago

Yes, I am STILL struggling with the furniture arrangement in our LR, but this time I at least have some 'new to us' chairs (from our GW friend, dlm2000, who is moving) to work with. They are replacing the plaid chairs that some of you may remember. I'm not sure where to start without this thread becoming a novel, so I'll just start with some pictures and a few of my thoughts. Sorry about the quality of the pictures. Lighting in some show the wall color as a mustard color. It's actually SW Blonde.

This is looking into the L-shaped LR and DR from the front door. The rug is not centered on the windows and therefore leaves a large area of bare floor as you enter the LR, but if I center the rug on the windows, the sofa is pretty far from the wall and the chair arrangement interferes with the piano.

All the open floor space.

Another pic showing floor space.

Looking into the LR from the DR.

Chairs across from sofa. The desk is very crowded with this arrangement. Again if I center rug, the chairs are way too close to the piano.

Looking into the LR from the front door.

I think that's enough pictures for now. I can take more if necessary. So, I'm open to any ideas/thoughts on furniture arrangement. The two I'm showing are certainly not the only two I'd consider. What should stay? What should go? Thanks so much!!

Comments (57)

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

Out of the two arrangements you've shown I prefer the first one since it doesn't crowd the desk.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Ideally:

You need a much larger rug for that area;

Second sofa;

Center rug on the windows, and pull the sofa in from the wall, second sofa facing that sofa on the other side with a console table behind it; two chairs as you have them, centered on window and facing window.

MUCH larger coffee table;

I'd move the desk out of that room altogether. IMO, it's discordant;

Heftier/wider drapes.

I think you're on the right path, but I think you have problems of scale with the size of the room/windows, etc.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Before I respond to the replies, I have to share a comment from my DH. He really likes the chairs. He says they fit him well, so we should just sit down and close our eyes. I love that guy!

camlan and kudzu - I have considered using the sofa between the LR and DR, facing the windows. Many years ago, I had it angled in that location. Maybe I should try that today. I think the desk might be able to stay with that arrangement.

marcolo - you have the same concern I have about all the empty space on the east side of the room. A bench is a good suggestion.

shee - yes, I'd like to be able to keep the desk in the room, if possible. I use it a lot.

tibbrix - I TOTALLY agree that I need a much larger rug, but for now I need to get the furniture arrangement resolved. I also agree about the drapes, but I'm not sure about adding even more furniture to the room.

So, I spent some time this morning preparing a scale drawing of the LR and DR. I don't know if this will be helpful or not. Also, here are some dimensions for some of the 'key players' in this room.

Sofa: 86"W x 38"D
    Chair: 38" W x 36"D
    Piano: 60"W x 26"D
    Desk: 54"W x 24"D
    Rug: 8" x 9' (I know, it's an odd size)

I'll try to play around on paper with some arrangements and report back. Thanks!!

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I have two chairs, a sofa, and a large window. The best arrangement for me has been to put the chairs on the edges of the window, angled slightly toward each other, with a round table between them. My sofa is on the opposite wall with a nice view out the window. It makes a good conversation group, which I remember was important to you. You could float your sofa with a table behind it. It would be a more attractive view from the DR than the back of the chairs, which I am seeing as a couple of pieces of giant toast!

I have an entertainment center on the wall between the two, which is the focal point. Maybe your piano could go there with an interesting art arrangement over it to give it height. I think you'll need to beef up the drapes and bring some pattern into them now that you have solid chairs. Sorry you're having such frustration with this room.

• lilylore
    9 years ago

I don't mind the piano where it is, but it has a squished-in feel, even moving it a few inches more out from the wall will help. Also, I would suggest painting that L shaped nook as feature walls in a dark color -you could even play with wall paper there.

Where's the T.V? I gather that this is a sitting room not the family room? As such, you don't need those comfy chairs there and I am not feeling them. To answer your question So regarding the scale of the sofa and the chairs, you believe they don't suit each other. Not for a sitting room, but yes for a den.

I would rather see something lighter, like slipper chairs with a small, low table between them facing the couch on that end of the carpet. Then push the desk behind them, like a hunt table (if you know what I mean) and the desk chair would be "overlooking" the seating. Then look for a long low bench for under the window as a plant and sculpture stand and possible seating with a pillow. Move the upholstered chairs to the den, where they belong.

I would do away with the nib wall or replace it with a built-in bookcase and hang a mirror on the back so I can check my earrings before I leave the house. That nib wall perfectly annoys me.

PS; The wall art over the sofa doesn't have enough visual weight for the coffee table, this is a case were a set of sconces or smaller wallarts on each side would help.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 12:28

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

HA! I see the toast! Well I'm glad your DH likes the 'fit' - that trumps all. I think symmetry is going to be the death of you in this room and you need to let that go. I don't think balancing the chairs with the window is the answer but it's certainly worth trying. I think you'll need to scoot them down more one way or the other depending if you want the sofa back to the wall (with a table behind) or float it back to DR - try both to see which looks better but I think one chair will end up pretty close to one of the window wall corners. Clear as mud? Wish I had time to drive over and play musical room arrangements with you.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Ha, may flowers, I'm getting a kick out of your comment about the backs of the chairs reminding you of giant toast. So, I took your suggestion and with a little tweaking, came up with this arrangement on paper.

The desk serves as a place for a lamp next to the sofa. Or I have a floor lamp I can use between the desk and the sofa. I have considered, tho, moving the piano to that wall, but I'd have to be very sure I'd want it there because it would be a big undertaking to move it there. I could easily try out this arrangement, tho, IRL.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, some cross posting was happening there while I was responding to may flowers.

Lily - This is our LR. We have a family room with the TV, so I guess you'd can call this a sitting room. But wouldn't you want comfy chairs in a sitting room? I would really like this to be a comfortable, cozy space for visiting, reading and getting away from the TV. The half wall annoys me too, but it's not going anywhere soon. I wish we had eliminated it when we had the wood floors installed. When and if we have the floors refinished, it will go away, but as I said, that won't be happening anytime soon. I already have a round mirror in the entry, seen in the 3rd picture.

Deb - I totally agree that I have to let go of the symmetry, but by centering furniture on the windows (whatever the piece(s) may be), it helps to fill the space on the east side of the room. What do you mean you don't have time to come over and help me? You aren't all packed yet???

• lilylore
    9 years ago

bac717: But wouldn't you want comfy chairs in a sitting room?

I would say that it doesn't matter what I would want. But to answer the question, No, I would want the comfy chairs in the lounge or den, but I would want reasonably comfortable chairs in the living room/sitting room, like slipper chairs, because folks aren't going to be plopping their buts down there for a 6 hour marathon of "Housewives of...." That is the very reason you have a living room AND a den. Two different rooms with two different purposes. But if you want two dens... feel free! I mean if you host a lot of committee meetings, you might consider it -but I find that those meetings last about half as long if the seats aren't too comfortable but the work still seems to get done, regardless.

My suggestion is to consider seating that is comfortable for one or two persons for an hour or two (the couch) and reasonably comfortable for 4 people for 30 minutes to an hour (the side chairs) during a major get together or a visit. If someone is coming over for a visit longer than an hour, we are sitting in the den or the kitchen. If the insurance salesmen is going to explain how I need to upgrade my plan -I really don't want him to be that comfortable and he's going to be lead to one of the slipper chairs with the hope that it's a short visit. If I am hosting a wake or graduation party, it's first come first served, do-you-mind-if-grandma-takes-your-seat and pull up a piece of the floor for the children.

This post was edited by Lilylore on Wed, Oct 29, 14 at 13:36

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Now you'll never unsee the giant toast!

My chairs are closer to the window frame but not shoved into the corner. There's about 9' from one outside chair arm to the other with a 28" table between them. You could put a rectangular shade lamp between them that has two light bulbs/switches so they're accessible from either chair. They're shorter than a standard table lamp and would work well in front of the window.

Straighten the sofa. The piano will need to move to the long wall I think.

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

Ditch the angle - they rarely work well unless you have a really large space or a room and furniture that are specifically designed for each other on an angle. Besides, it's intruding into your DR. Move the chairs as Mayflower suggested. If you want to angle something, try angling the desk so that it faces into the room and the chair back is in the corner (ish) where the piano is then the piano goes to the long wall. And don't do equilateral triangles - make it a little obtuse - it's more interesting and less stiff.

• Shock
    9 years ago

Hi, I'm Shock...new here and hope you don't mind if I jump in.
    I have not read through all the replies so if it's been suggested sorry for the repetition.
    This might require you putting the piano on an angle as well as long as it does not cut into your sitting space as it looks like it might be now? I can't grasp how close it is to your chairs.
    "I" personally would sorta open up the space to the DR...sorta.
    I would put the sofa in front of the window where the desk is. Not sure how far out into the room you could pull it out. I'm not a big fan of furniture against walls in most cases. I would leave your chairs where they are but angle them into the space with one of the tables that are flanking the sofa.
    I can't see it well but the large cabinet to the right of the large window I might put where the sofa is now (or the desk...but I might omit the desk...depending on how much space you have).
    In looking at the pics it seems that the dining room is sorta of center so another idea would be to flip the whole thing I just said so that the sofas back is to the entry of the room and the two chairs in the position I suggested along the wall where the sofa is in your pic. You might even be able to keep the desk where it is in that case.
    Any piece of furniture I have not mentioned...you can figure out lol.
    Shock.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Would the sofa fit where the chairs are? Put the chairs where the sofa is. Put one end table between them.
    I would rather see the back of a sofa than those two chair backs. They do look comfy.
    I followed your thread deciding on the desk near the window, but I don't think it works with these two chairs.
    Could the desk we use as a sofa table of sorts?

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I hope to find some time tomorrow to move furniture around. In the meantime, I've been playing around with some suggestions on paper, but it's giving me a headache! I've spent way too much time thinking about this today. Sorry I'm not responding individually to each response I've received this afternoon and evening. Tomorrow I hope to try 4 different arrangements.

1) sofa in front of the window with the chairs on the wall
    2) sofa on the wall with the chairs in front of the window
    3) chairs on the wall with the sofa facing them, back of sofa facing
    the entry into the LR from the front door (not sure about this)
    4) sofa as a divider between LR and DR with chairs at the window
    (REALLY not sure about this one!)

• marcolo
    9 years ago

Is it that hard to angle the piano? It looks very uncomfortable where it is, and that corner is too harsh and concave as it is.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Desk out. Chairs along window. Sofa facing chairs (where chairs are). Fireplace on wall where sofa is. I would suggest lining the wall with bookcases (or flanking my proposed FP with them) but I'm not sure where they'd end due to the DR.

Colors of sofa and chairs are disconnected. Bring in a pillow, throw, etc. to connect.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I think you should work with the symmetry of the room and start by turning the rug so it's placed center on the window and going in the widest direction, then put the to chairs on the left when you're looking at the window, and sitting on the edge of the rug with the sofa opposite them so you're looking straight at each other. The chairs will never show their backs in that direction. I know this means you'll have to relocate the piece of furniture to the right of the window and you could put it where you have the bench at the entry, it has more heft and will balance the room better. The desk will have to go too but the room will have the balance and design you need to make it look correct.

• ellendi
    9 years ago

I'm changing my vote! I think some of us are forgetting that you probably want to keep your end tables with the lighting.

Soooo, I say sofa on window wall if there are outlets, chairs facing them.

Is there room on the pony wall for your desk?

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I would remove the desk from the room entirely. Do you really do office work there? What about if people are over? Where do you store work in progress? I just think desks look so formal for a living room in an open space.

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

"But wouldn't you want comfy chairs in a sitting room? I would really like this to be a comfortable, cozy space for visiting, reading and getting away from the TV. "

Sorry, but that says it all. Picking seating for 30 mins visits maximum is, sorry, ridiculous. Decorating is meant to let people use a room the way they want to use it and not for show.

So, I'd ditch the desk ---unless you really use it. As far as arrangement: I'm with Anele.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

OK, here we go - pictures of the different furniture arrangements that have been suggested. I'm posting them here, hoping those who have made suggestions will check back in. I considered starting a new thread, but sometimes that get a little confusing.

As much as I'd like to be able to respond to each response I received yesterday and this morning, I think it might be easier to just make a few comments and even then, I'll probably overlook a few things. Sorry about that.
    ~Angling the piano doesn't really create much extra space at all.
    ~I have fantasized about having a FP on the wall in the LR many times and have considered bookcases, too, but right now, we're just looking for a pleasing furniture arrangements before the holiday entertaining begins.
    ~I'm not opposed to moving the desk out of the room.

In order to make moving all the furniture around, DH and I moved the rug out of the room, so it's not in any of the pictures. Once we decide on the best arrangement (for now), we'll bring the rug back in and even consider changing it to a larger size.

#1 chairs in window & sofa on wall (2 pics)

#2 sofa in window & chairs on wall (2 pics)

#3 sofa facing chairs on wall (2 pics)

#4 chairs in window & sofa angled (2 pics)

OK, that's it for now. Have I totally confused everyone? Please try to ignore the random pictures on the wall and lamps on tables. All that, including table arrangement, will have to be tweaked after the 'key players' are in place. Thanks for your help!!

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

Wow, you have been busy.
    I really like the pictures where the two chairs are in front of the window and the sofa is on the long wall.
    I think the chairs belong there!

• ellendi
    9 years ago

Not interested in sofa on window wall and chairs opposite?

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

DH likes the chairs at the window, too, Karen.

ellen - the problem with anything (2 chairs OR sofa) across from whatever is in the window is the lack of clearance between the piano and the furniture. If whatever is at the window is centered (and I think that really is the only way to have anything at the window), the furniture across from it ends up too close to the piano.

• k9arlene
    9 years ago

#1 is my pick.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

The chairs have shrunk considerably by hiding their backs! I like #1. It leaves all pathways open. The sofa is a better focal point from the front entry than the chairs. The chair color is better with the window than the walls. When I had my chairs against a wall, the artwork and lamp on the table overlapped--your painting would have that same problem.

• justretired
    9 years ago

I like how #1 looks but would pick number three because I find it difficult to look into a bright window while having a discussion with the person or people in the seats in front of the window. Probably just a weirdness on my part but my 2 cents. I like your furniture!

• Kitch4me
    9 years ago

What do you think of this?

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

Oh Bac, the first arrangement that you worked on looks great. The chairs look like they absolutely belong in front of the window. I like how you have the table leaves extended to make it round. I like to see a round table between two chairs when they are angled towards each other and a rectangular table between two chairs when they are placed in a straight line.

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I like what kitch4me did. Separate those chairs! They look better less twin-like.

Also, I don't know if this has already been mentioned. It looks like there's no TV in the room so mostly this room is for visiting and talking, right? The test arrangements sort of have the sitters looking away from those in other seats. IOW, there's no intimacy. Not that you want to be intimate with everyone :) but I'm thinking when you have a good friend or two over and talk about things close friends talk about.

• nancybee_2010
    9 years ago

I like #1 also. It seems unforced- just right, the way it was meant to be. Your room is going to be so pretty.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may - I agree with your points regarding the sofa focal point and the chair color against the window. And it easier to address the wall with a sofa on it vs. two chairs and a table.

just - I understand your point about bright window being a possible distraction, but I have Silhouettes at the windows and when we have guests in this room, it's almost always in the evening.

kitch - it seems you and linelle would prefer to separate the chairs, but right now, I'm leaning toward NOT looking at the back of either chair. However, I am tempted to try your arrangement tomorrow when we move the furniture again. I'll take pictures.

holly - the table in between the chairs is the table that was next to the sofa and near the curio in the original pics. It forms an oval, not round, table when the leaves are up, altho that is a little difficult to see in the second set of pics. I like that it's an oval instead of round because we already have the round pedestal table in the room.

linelle - you are right. No TV, so it is a visiting, reading and getting away from the TV room. It is very comfortable for two people to sit in the chairs for a conversation. I can see your point, tho, when you add others on the sofa.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks, k9 and nancy, for your votes for #1.

• newgardener_in_zone4
    9 years ago

#1 looks great!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

I like no. 1, but would also try kitch4me's arrangement --- unless the back of the one chair is bothering. Where's the desk in no. 1?

Impressed by your moving furniture around, but I agree that it's the best way to make a decision.

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

I saw number one and said,"ding! ding! ding!" It looks like it's supposed to be that way. Going to be great! I also don't mind the last one (4).

• carolt924
    9 years ago

I like #1, although I would place the round table between the chairs as the oval table although very nice, I believe puts to much room between the chairs.
    I would then place the oval table with the sides down next the sofa on the right side when facing the sofa.
    I would also replace the piece of art above the couch with a rectanglular piece that covers approximately 2/3 or so of the width of the couch, or possibly use the piece you have with two smaller square pieces hung to the right of your original, stacked on top of each other, in essence forming a rectangle with the three pieces of art. You could try that arrangement out using the two pieces that are currently hanging on your window wall.
    Also, I would move the curio cabinet a bit closer to the couch.
    Add some pattern into the room with pillows and/or a throw that include if possible both the color of the couch and chairs.
    You have the makings of a lovely room.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Looks like arrangement #1 is the favorite. DH's fav, too. Tomorrow, tho, I'll try kitch4me's suggestion.

nosoccermom - that's one issue with #1. The desk does not have a place. It would work well where the piano is, if we ever got rid of the piano, but right now the piano stays. It has a lot of sentimental value, especially to my mom.

shee - I'm thinking we could shift the sofa and table to #4 during the holidays to make room for the tree! Just a thought.

Carol - the picture over the sofa is probably going into DH's office, so I agree I need to find something larger for that space. New pillows are on my list as well.

• carolt924
    9 years ago

bac717-I agree, it would be great if you could keep the desk in the room. Could the desk go where the piano is and could you put the piano where the couch is now and then have the couch directly across from the window wall with the chairs on the window wall? Would there be enough walking space between the back edge of the couch and the front edge of the desk?

• jlj48
    9 years ago

I like # 1!

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

#1 remains popular. Still haven't moved furniture yet today, but it's on my agenda.

carol - I have considered putting the desk where the piano is, but the dimensions of each piece are quite similar, so I don't gain much space at all with that change. The piano is 60"W and 26"D. The desk is 54"W and 24"deep. Anything floating in the room, facing the windows AND centered on the windows (that's the key) ends up too close to whatever is in that corner of the room. Without the piano, that corner would be a perfect place for the desk. I sit at the desk way more than I sit at the piano, but that piano has a lot of sentimental value to me and to my mom.

• anele_gw
    9 years ago

Have not read through replies-- I like #1 but IMO the table between the chairs gets in the way of conversation. It always looks nice to have the requisite table between chairs, but it also feels sort of weird for an actual conversation unless the table is petite and/or viewing is forward facing (like toward a TV) vs. across the table.

For conversation purposes, and since I am guessing my FP idea is not in the cards, the sofa on the original wall and one chair on either side of the sofa would work best.

I would also say that the wall behind the sofa is where you will potentially make or break your room after the furniture is in place. It is, IMO, very hard to decorate a large wall space appropriately like that. If you look in photos, this is why often sofas are against windows or bookcases, or the wall is treated in some form (plaster walls or something else with texture, wallpaper, etc.), esp. since you have a traditional vibe going. (Minimalism can be a different story but then you are very dependent on other things happening-- or not-- in the room.)

So, I would recommend not looking for ONE piece with "oomph" behind the sofa, but thinking about how to break up the wall more. For ex., you could keep your current art and then add a few more pieces. :) Just a thought! It is coming along beautifully and I can imagine some great conversations there!

• hilltop_gw
    9 years ago

I love #1, it just looks so open and inviting and balanced.

And it still lets in a lot of light from the windows; whereas if you put the sofa in front of the window it seems to block it off and cut it in half.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

anele - I tried the sofa on the wall with a chair at each end of the sofa, facing each other, but the problem with that arrangement is that it leave the room feeling a little lopsided. Most all the furniture, except the piano and the small cabinet near the 1/2 wall, is on one side of the room. Having the two chairs in the window helps to balance everything better. I'm not sure the table I have between the chairs right now is the best for that space. It is taller than the arms of the chairs and does kind of get in the way of conversation. I'm going to be on the lookout for a better table for that area. I agree that the wall behind the sofa will be a challenge.

hill - you are right about the sofa blocking too much of the window and your comment about open, inviting and balanced are exactly what I was hoping to achieve.

Here is the room today with the furniture in place and the rug added back in. It is not the right size or can I get away with it anyway? It is centered on the window and the sofa. See how the chairs are on the rug, but the sofa isn't?

Another view (ignore the desk and audio equipment on the left). I I know I need to add a table to the left of the sofa. Most likely the table that was here originally (now sitting between the chairs) will come back to this location.

Now I need to work on placing lamps, pillows and other accessories. Thank you to everyone who helped me get to this point.

• lizzie_grow
    9 years ago

This looks really nice. I actually like the rugâ¦grounds the room & the colors are great. If it bothers you to have the sofa off the rug, could you pull it forward a bit so the front legs are on the rug? Really cozy room.

• Shock
    9 years ago

That looks nice...I think the rug is a must but, I'd still be tickled to see you try my suggestion which would be...moving those chairs across the room facing but angles in (table still between them) and sofa in front of the window...and don't forget the nice cabinet that is to the right of the windows now on the wall where the sofa is in the last pic. And moving said seating arrangement as close together as is comfortable. This might mean only the chairs closer in if it creates more flow. And the desk???
    I also like the idea of the desk still in front of the window, the sofa where it is in the last pic and the chairs across from it with the table between them leaving open space between the dining area and the living area. I know I'm new and am expecting a lot....but I'd still be tickled to see. Thxs.

• bac717
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Shock - As much as I like the arrangement of having the chairs across from the sofa, it just isn't working well in this room. Both of your suggestions show the backs of the chairs, either as you're entering from the DR or from the front door. In the original post, there are 6 pictures. Pics #5 and #6 shows exactly what you are describing in your second suggestion. In this one, there is not enough room for the desk and you see 'giant toast' (a description mentioned by may_flowers). Pic #4, altho it does not have the sofa at the window, shows the chairs facing the window. They can't be centered with the sofa if it was on the window because they would be right next to the piano. I really do appreciate your suggestions and I hope this helps explain how I ended up with the arrangement I have now.

• Sheeisback_GW
    9 years ago

Looks great! The rug you have works and grounds the room. A larger one might be nice, but not necessary, IMO. I believe they say all the legs on the rug or off and you have that.

• User
    9 years ago

#1 is a winner. Looks nice.

• yayagal
    9 years ago

I agree, your room looks wonderful now.

Sponsored
Pioneers Kitchen and Bath LLC.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Loudoun County's Professional Kitchen & Bath Remodelers