Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Purrrfect tablescape

Posted by mary_lu (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 7, 12 at 19:27

Kitty always likes to lay on this table in the bay window and soak up the sunshine. Usually he lays on the outer edge, that is why the pot/cup are placed close to the lamp. Well today he decided to squeeze in between the book and lamp. Thought it looked cute.

Anyone else have an unusual tablescape?
Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Purrrfect tablescape

Cute 'catscape'!

Here's one of mine.

Photobucket

o

Not quite a table scape, rather a 'counterscape', lol ! He's in my napkin basket. :)

o

These are so cute! I wish I had some pics to share, my cats do things like this all the time but I don't have any photos...

o

Don't cringe. ;)

o

Lol, Kimberly, he looks soooo uncomfortable!

o

LOL I know non-cat people are probably cringing but I've found most things in the kitchen are washable! Right now that same big Maine Coon I posted above is sound asleep in a wooden tray on my kitchen buffet. He also occasionally sleeps in one of the bathroom sinks. Both very washable items.

o

He sure does, Sandy. But he always likes sleeping with his head up against something. My husband is also uncomfortable - in that he's embarrased I even posted that pic with our cat on the counter and our ripening bananas out there with the whole world to see!! Oh well.

o

Yes, Lucky, I agree - it's all washable! Your pretty Maine Coon must look very precious in your wooden tray.

o

Tell DH nothing to cringe about. Cat lovers know all about cats. They pick the most unlikely places to sleep.

I emailed that same picture to my daughter and she texted me one back of her cat sleeping on the top of her pellet stove. Nice and toasty!

Loving all the pictures....

o

What lovely children you all have!

Bartender kitty...

bartenderkitty

...and her brother, Chef kitty...

chefkitty

o

I'm not a cat person, but I love (and laughed at) all your pictures!

o

Sandy, your boy looks just like ours...just a little more white on the chin!

o

We aren't cat folks either since moving to the country, but I'm laughing at the photos. Used to be cat people when we lived in town and our calico was the bathroom sink kitty.

o

Daily lurker here - I thought our cat was weird, but she has the same traits! Right now she is asleep on top of the cable box.....

o

Bronwyns mom, I thought the same thing! Here is what he actually looks like when he's not curled up in weird places. Funny thing is, my neighbor had put up a picture on Face Book of her kitty on her roof, and I thought it was mine, at first, lol ! I guess tuxedo kitties are common, and popular !

o

I am a cat lover, but never ever on the counter! Ewwww!
But we had that thread already....

Casimir was an essential part of designing our home and it wasn't until he approved the plan that we could give the go ahead to our architect. Here he is reviewing the design details....

A cautionary tale. When Cas was a young'un we had just started a fire in the woodstove and we found him curled up on top. We chased him off before he got burned, but he thought he knew better. Next thing we know, he jumped up on it again only by that time it was hot and he burned all 4 of his little paws. We quickly picked him up and put him out in the snow to ice his feet. The poor thing! He never jumped up on it again. So I'm not sure how hot your pellet stove gets.....

o

I don't normally let my cat on the counter, because I don't like having him up there either, it's just that one day, I couldn't find him in any of his usual sleeping spots. So after calling all over the house for him, I went in the kitchen, and there he was, all curled up in my basket of napkins....I just *had* to take a picture ! ; )

o

Love these! Thanks for making my morning.

o

I lost both of my cats last year. They were about 18 (Maine Coon) and 19 (Ragdoll) years old and we'd had them both since the 18 year old was a tiny kitten. The end was such high maintenance that I said no more cats ever. Like childbirth, amnesia is setting in. I miss them and the two I had before that (a black stray and a white feral cat who adopted us. None of them were counter kitties, but they occasionally got on the table, especially the formal dining table. This isn't fair.

o

We were out of bread. What can I say? Keep the pictures coming!

BTW, we live far from town and one morning I went outside and this little kitty came out of nowhere and ran to me. Love at first sight and she made herself at home!

Photobucket

o

Hard to take pics of a black cat, but this one is one of my favorites. With winter coming, seeing all the beautiful apple blossoms reminds me that spring is not far behind winter.

o

Such a wonderful thread!! :)

Just ADORE all of these wonderful cat photos -- hugs, pats and love to them all! :)

o

A basketful of kitty.

o

Cats are such individualists.....I bought a cat bed that my white cat would NEVER ever sleep in, but any cardboard box or basket of any size, actually, the smaller the better, will find that cat curled up in it!

o

These pics are purrrfectly precious!

How about a chairscape? This is Pooh kitty.

And I have to toss in one of my favorite photos of big ol' Pip. He truly thinks he's hiding if he can't see us. Nah, that enormous chunk of cat flesh doesn't give him away. Not at all. ;-)

o

MsK under glass!

Photobucket

The start of Feline Fricassee

Photobucket

o

All of them, cute, cute, CUTE! All that's needed is a colorful ribbon tied around each of the necks. On the other hand, having had cats my whole life, forget that! lol

o

This is our "houseguest" who decorates all of our rooms in turn:

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Cats are such characters! I love these pics.

Jennifer

o

Looking at the Tuxedos makes me want to cry. I lost both of mine last year.

Rexie - Female, during the remodel and being silly.

Photobucket

Raptor, The Rapinator, Male.

Photobucket

This is one of my favorite pictures of Lizzie, the cat we now have. Whenever DH builds a fire, she's right there. She respects the fire, but we put her bed in front of it in the winter and she curls up there. Our fireside cat. lol

Photobucket

o

Adorable pictures!

o

Our cat is absolutely never, ever, allowed on DH's desk. Well, almost never. Ok, sometimes. Ehhh actually whenever he wants...

o

My boys (Bear and Gus) are not on the table, but cute (I think) no matter where they are sleeping. These boys are 5 month old brothers.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

We are all fools for our felines, aren't we?

Oakley, I am so sorry. The sorrow of loving animals is that we outlive them all. But as C. S. Lewis's wife Joy said in the movie Shadowlands, "The pain then is part of the love now."

I do love our illusion that we allow them to do or not do anything.
When we're not looking, that is.

Our cameo Maine Coon (now absent from us) loved parties. He famously leapt into the lap of our most proper Bostonian dinner guest at the table one night. He looked down without missing a beat and said, dryly, "Well, how do you do?"

o

I'm enjoying all of the adorable pictures.

o

Our cats know better than to go on the counters. They have been taught that good manners dictate that you sit politely on the stools.

o

What an entertaining thread to brighten up a Monday morning! Gorgeous furbabies with big personalities. When it comes to pet fur and germs, I've learned to relax and remember a little dusting, sweeping and Clorox wipes solves just about everything. :)

o

Yeah, so we have our own beds...so what?

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Yin-yang

Hanging out in our favorite sunny spot

o

This thread makes me so happy!

I wanted to share my beautiful little Camille. We lost her a few years ago at 19 ... She was my baby for so long, and I still miss her very much. She's sunning herself in this photo at the window behind the kitchen sink in my old house.

Pip, Pooh, and Tiger in their "Platter of Shrimp" pose. (Thank goodness the awful sofa is long gone.)

o

Ahh---all the photos are so precious. I love the various ways you employ feline decorating. It certainly transforms a mere house to a home.

One of my personal favorites is the feline window treatment. For some reason, I just love seeing a cat in the window---especially when I'm arriving at a house and see a cat in one of the front windows. It just looks so welcoming. Of course, I always delude myself into thinking our cat is anxiously awaiting our return home when I see her in a front window---not that she's just found a warm sunny place for a nap.

o
loving it!

Wow, thanks so much everyone for joining in! I'm loving all the furfaces and places they like to hang out.

Anyone else care to join in? This is fun!

o

Love this thread! I'd hate to have to vote on the cutest pic! We lost our big ole Dudley in March but he made it very difficult to read the paper on Sunday morning ... or any morning for that matter.

o

This is our Maxi. She looks like she's waiting on lunch. My husband brought her and her sister home from his workplace when they were three weeks old. They are such loves.

o

This is Olive. Now you know why I have trouble knitting.

Untitled

She is 14 years old and has been an outdoor kitty the whole time. We joke that she has scared off all the coyotes. She spends her nights out on the roof keeping us all safe and sleeps in the attic during the day. She used to snuggle with me every night until we got Oscar the French Bulldog. That was the last straw for her apparently. On the weekend when we have 5 or 6 teenaged boys sleeping over, she goes from one to the next snuggling and kneading their laps and heads. She also likes to bite, but usually only me.

o

All of them, cute, cute, CUTE! All that's needed is a colorful ribbon tied around each of the necks. On the other hand, having had cats my whole life, forget that! lol

o

Love seeing all the beautiful and funny kitties. Some made me laugh out loud.

Jeane, your Maxi reminds me of this one of our rescue kitty, Shadow. No one wanted him, so we kept him and he's been the best cat! Unlike our other kitties who refuse to stop doing naughty things, such as using our fruit bowl for a pillow, Shadow has perfect manners. See how patiently he waits for lunch?

o

Hope you don't mind a couple more.....

So that I can be part of the tuxedo club, this is Dalton, left behind by terrible neighbors when they moved. We fed him and kept an eye on him for a few months this summer before finding him a new home. It was 104 degrees out and he was HOT, so I set him up with a fan.

o

Lastly, this is Trixie, another rescue, in her favorite place to hang out.

o

Lurker here with three kitties but no pics at the moment. I just have to say that all of your cats are completely adorable! So fun seeing how everyone's cats make themselves at home wherever they please. That is part of their charm I think.

o

Just woke up, first cup of coffee, and this topic is the first place I wanted to go!

Bronwyn, I just noticed your tuxedo's are brother and sister. Do you remember what the parents looked like? I thought tuxedos were kind of a fluke like calicos.

o

Milkshake likes counters and tables, but nothing beats a warm sunny day outside:

o

Oakley, their mother was a teen-age street girl - too wild to tame, and too young to raise her babies, all of whom were tuxedos. They were 4-1/2 weeks old at a local shelter, and their mom had been spayed there and was to be released back into her colony of feral cats. Keeping her away from them too long would have made her survival unlikely, and she couldn't be socialized.

There were 5 kitties in a pile. We took them all. We had to! Their only security was in the pile, and really, what can you do! My DH was sitting on the floor at the shelter with a tiny squeaking baby in each hand, and I saw his heart just fly out of his chest!

You haven't lived until you've bottle-fed five tiny kitties every four hours, and they all look alike. We called them 1,2,3,4, and 5 (temporarily) and made a chart, with the small differences in where their white bits were, so we could check off who we'd fed. They were sooooo darling!

At 12 weeks, once we'd gotten them healthy and socialized, we found homes for three and kept those two. It was quite the adventure.

o

Here are some pics of ours... Tristan (orange) is now 18, Lister (black) is 17 and Emma (tortie with white) is 12. Where does the time go?

Tristan 10 years ago doing a "work tablescape"

Tristan this past spring at our previous home - going for a courtyard walk on the harness

Tristan and Emma enjoying their enclosed "catio" this summer

Lister 10 years ago

and this summer

Emma 10 years ago

and more recently

o

Those pics are the cutest things. I am a cat person and would post pics if I knew how. We have a pure white cat and a long=haired tuxedo. The white one sleeps on his back with all 4 paws curled in the air. One day I will post a pic of that.

o

Don't have a cat anymore but really got a kick out of some of those photos. Love the feline window treatment idea I never thought of them in terms of decorating very fun.

o

My cat, Hummer, trying to see the bird nest in the wreath on our door.

o

Lol, jstell, now that gives true meaning to the term 'curtain climber' !

o

This is Sabrina with all of her gifts... She brings me flowers, over and over and over until I give her what she wants. These are camellias from the front yard. She carries them in her mouth, crosses the front yard with them, jumps the fence and brings them to the back patio door where she drops them. If I don't let her in immediately she repeats the process. In another house Sabrina once brought me a toy styrofoam airplane. Once when I was painting she came back with a neighbor's paint gloves and sponge. I figured she realized it was the same as what I was doing by the smell.

o

abbybeagle - LOL! Just like the infamous "Klepto Kitty".

o

Fortunately the only thing she steals these days is flowers! I have seen her standing on her back legs to reach and tear off rose blossoms from our bushes. If I have flowers in the house she will take them out of vases and leave them in interesting places.

o

How adorable.

Our previous cats only brought us little dead things, and sometimes only parts of them...

o

Man, I wish my cat's would have brought me flowers over the years. All I got were dead bodies of mice with their head's missing!

You DID let her in right? :)

o

That's adorable. I've never heard of a cat bringing flowers.

o

I am not a cat person (we just got our first puppy, Lord help me)...but I just have to say these are all darling, and the FTD delivery kitty is about the sweetest thing I have ever heard! She sounds like she loves you so much!

o

These photos are just priceless!

And since some of you seem to have formed a Tuxedo Club, let me show you my membership card. These are 3 of the 5 feral kittens that showed up on our back patio a few years ago. DH took the photo on the afternoon that they arrived and sent it to me while I was at work, just to let me know what we were in for. We ended up rescuing and rehoming them all, with the exception of Sunny (the Himalayan mix, not shown here), and Tiki - the little tuxedo boy on the far right of this photo. The others here are Gracie (left) and Tuxsy (center), both of whom went to other homes.

o

Our little member of the Tuxedo Club:

o

jstell - that pic of Hummer is soo cute. Those back claws are working hard to grip into something, anything.

abbeybeagle - your cat is much nicer than mine as I get dead birds brought to me.

o

Oakley, we should have lived near each other...our furbombs could have split the mice between them.

Ours ate the mice and left the heads. Well, one of them did. The other ate everything except the spleen.

You dog people are saying, "Eeewwww!!!"

o

>Ours ate the mice and left the heads. Well, one of them did. The other ate everything except the spleen.

I would have preferred either of those to our kitty's way of bringing in the whole live mouse/rat/bird and letting it go as soon as we saw he'd done so, so that we could have the fun of catching one for ourselves.

o

"You dog people are saying, "Eeewwww!!!""

Not so much. I lost my two cats last year but still have 2 dogs. One has brought us a couple of rats and birds. I made the mistake of praising her for a rat and she brought me a baby bird next. Fortunately nothing since. She keeps the June bugs, lizards and some other bugs as treats for herself. She was dumped as a puppy. You can take the puppy off the street, but you apparently can't take the street out of the puppy.

o

Everyone's kitties are so precious! I couldn't pick a favorite!

We adopted Gracie in August. I saw a thread here where people showed off their tuxedo cats, and I loved their little white bibs. So we ended up with Gracie, who is a dilute tortie with a white bib and tummy.

She came to us with a little beat-up stuffed mouse. When we are ignoring her constant requests to play, she'll go upstairs and get mousie. We'll hear a little meow and there's Gracie with the mouse at her feet. Who can say no? The funny thing is we never play mousie with her--it's the twirling bird toy she wants, but she can't very well carry that around the house. Somehow she knew from her first week here that we'd understand that mousie = play. It's amazing how they find a way to communicate.

o

I came back to see the newer contributions to this thread. They are all adorable characters. Our first experience of being owned by a cat was a lovely little tuxedo girl (a Manx). After her, we got a couple more Manx kittens (brother and sister) and then ended up taking in a rescue kitten who had been orphaned (Maine Coon), so I see our cats in a lot of these photos---in terms of their breed and/or coloring, as well as the description of some of their behaviors.

Looking at these is a bittersweet experience right now. A little less than two months ago we lost one of our senior cats (our boy Manx) to renal failure, and yesterday we lost a second cat (our super-loving Maine Coon girl). It's heartbreaking---even more so when we've lost two so close together. We are now down to our last one, and I'm hoping for many more healthy years for her.

o

Here's another chairscape. This is Fred and Prinny (she's the calico) in a rare moment where they weren't fighting. They call a truce when it comes to sitting in the winter sunlight in the comfy chair:

Fred and Prinny in chair

And I think I may have posted this one in an earlier thread, but this is Fred inspecting my bed to see that it is made correctly. This day, I had neglected to put the decorative pillow on the bed, and Fred meowed at me until I did. If the bed isn't made by 7:30 am, she meows at me until it is. If she had opposable thumbs, she'd be a better housekeeper than me!

Photobucket

o

SunnyCottage, I meant to tell you how adorable those tiny kitties are.

There's a special place in Hades for people who abandon or neglect animals. And a worse one for abuse.

o

gorgeous pics everyone, thank you for making my day with your photos. The kitchenscapes" are hilarious!

o

Can you find the real kitty cat? haha

o

Couldn't you just use Fred for a room inspiration? The soft grays mixed with the honey beige, deeper brown for the flooring and a shot of orange and green for accents?

o

AnnieDeighnaugh, funny you should say that.

Apparently I did use Fred as a guide for the living room. I didn't realize it, but a couple of friends have pointed out that all the furniture and the carpet match Fred. Lots of tans, and some brown, some ivory/beige, and some green (her eyes look green in the right light). Instead of orange, though, there's a bit of dark red, because orange is just not a color I like very much.

The flip side of that is that her fur blends in a bit too well, and I have to make sure I vacuum the furniture regularly, or it would be covered in fur. Fur that you can't see until someone sits down, and then stands up, covered in cat hair.

o

Oh, brother. Covered in cat hair is right.
I suppose that's the advantage of having black cats and a lot of pale furniture...you know when to haul out the sticky rollers.

o

sail-away, sorry about the loss of your kitties. That is such a hard thing to go through.

Our cat Charlie brought us another bird yesterday when we had company. That was very special. I won't describe the gory details of what the bird looked like but Charlie was very proud of himself.

o

Thanks, blfenton. Since our cats are/were indoor cats, they never brought the gift of a real mouse or bird to us, but they would bring their toys to us. The cat who just died, in particular, would go to the big bowl where we kept their toys and pull out every toy mouse she could find and pile them outside my closed office door. Then she would meow until I came out and she could proudly show me all the treasures she had brought for me. That, of course, led to a play session or lots of cuddling (or both).

When our current cat was a kitten, she would drag a stuffed fish that was larger than she all the way up our stairs and leave it next to our bed while we were sleeping---every night. It was remarkable that she could get it up there, as she was a very tiny cat and could hardly negotiate the stairs on her own.

o

Fred likes to arrange the dead mice right where I will step on them as I get out of bed (100 year old house plus lots of woods equals mice in the house every fall). Mostly I get whole ones. The rest--just the heads and tails.

I am grateful that Fred is a good hunter. But I really wish she'd put the mice somewhere else.

o

Love all the pictures!

Here are two of mine. Sunshine was a stray showed up in our yard two years ago, he has really, really become a member of family since -- he has his own bar stool at the kitchen island.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

This is an older pic before we did any work in the kitchen, but this is one of our favorities. Little kitty is totally in heaven on Thanksgiving day. This captures his "sniffer" face with his eyes closed, ears back, and nostrils flaring. He makes the same face when we cook pork bbq too.

He is now 15, and we are really happy it looks like he's going to be around for another Thanksgiving.

o

sara and gsciencechick - great pics, lol.

o

I think a book with all these photos would be a best seller! Laughing out loud at all the cat antics...precious.

o

I love these photos!!! My contributions:

IMG_3300
Mercedes, in a vintage planter box used to hold clean washclothes

Ocho, supervising the install of my new sink

IMG_0239

Paisley, perched on the trestle table leg she is slowly destroying (and thank heavens 'cause I hate that table!)
IMG_3555

I can't imagine a house without kitties, despite the unceasing demands of being their domestic help.

o

I want to know how you are posting multiple pics in one posting?????

o

wanttoretire, if you click on a photo you will see they are linked to my Flickr account. From there I can copy/paste the HTML code needed to insert them into the post.
Mabel

o

This thread is a good way to start the day!

Who doesn't love a kitty belly?

o

I couldn't resist! This is my Libby which is short for Liberty because she showed up to our house on 4th of July weekend.
Window kitty
IMG_20120709_194831.
Transformer kitty
IMG_20120731_222329.

o
oh my...so very many cute pictures!

Thanks so much everyone for joining in! I just had to scroll through all the pictures again and also see the new additions.

I knew there were kitty people here, but never realized just how many of us are ruled by these furbabies. I don't think non-kitty people realize just how much companionship and love these guys/gals give us.

o

Mary_lu, thank you for starting this thread! I just love all the pictures, they brighten my life.

o

o

Schoolhouse, what an angelic looking sweetheart!!!

o

Thanks cat mom, she's come a long way from the little demon feral she was when first she showed up at my house one year and six months ago. I named her "Pretty", but she doesn't know that because she is deaf.

o

What lovely photos! It's hard not to smile when I look through this thread. Thanks to all the posters and their funny-sweet-furry friends.

o

I couldn't resist one more of my weird cat...he decided to explore the fridge one day when I had it open with my back turned. Guess he was hungry ! :D

o

The last one is scary, I would be very concerned that he'd get himself locked in somewhere and suffocate! Cats in dryers, dishwashers, etc just worry me :(

o

Schoolhouse, your little deaf darling is a cloud of serenity.
Is she blue-eyed? I have heard that those things go together in cats?

Tinan, when we moved into this house, the front-loading washing machine made a noise when starting its cycle that sounded exactly like a cat yelling for help...it wasn't a kitty, but I never ran down a hall so fast in my life!

o

Awwww, I love kitties with round people eyes (Pooh, Maxi, Sabrina) and kitty belly, window kitty, basketful of kitty, sniffer face, well -- all of them! I recently had to rehome my kitty, but she keeps in touch.

o

Bob and Biggles (the little one) enjoying the heat vent in the kitchen. Biggles is much bigger now. Bob has a "little" tuxedo. :)

o

Oops, here is the picture.

o

bronwynsmom - yes

o

javachik - the poster kitty of this modern age! lol love it.

o

OMG!!! I love all the kitties!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here