Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Rules for rug size and placement?

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

Question is my living room is large but I will be using the carpet from my smaller library until I can find a suitable replacement. I wanted to buy the same carpet in a larger size but the rug is no longer available. This carpet is not wide enough for any part of the sofa to rest on it or the tv stand on the opposite wall. I have the rug centered with the sofa but that makes it really short on the one end and on the other end there is about two feet worth of carpet under the chairs that are perpendicular to the sofa. Would it be better to not center the carpet and only have the front legs of the chairs on the carpet and have the carpet extend way more on one side of the sofa than on the other? I am sure there is a decorating principle that would dictate the correct placement. Please chime in as neither option looks good to me.

This room is becoming a decorating nightmare. Every time I resolve one issue another one crops up and I am going to go way over what I planned on spending as I now need two new carpets instead of one, more lamps than originally planned for and several more case good pieces.

DH also commented that we should have made the library into our dining room. I could have crowned him as I have suggested doing just that for years. It is too late for that to really be an option as I am now using my Audrey Hepburn chairs in there and making it my room since DH changed the vibe in the living room.

Comments (14)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Holly Kay if you can post a photo it would really help. It may not be as bad as you think. I know when I have things go wrong when working on a room it feels like the whole thing is a mess, but then a simple solution will come to me and it's "what was I so worried about anyway?"

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Justgotabe, I will post pics tomorrow evening after work. DH was relaxing on the couch and didn't want to move to get out of the picture.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

That'll work. It will make it much easier seeing it all. Thank you.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Just, here is a pic of the carpet centered with the sofa.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is looking straight on at the chairs.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And this is a shot of the bottom of the chairs so you can see how far onto the carpet they are.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The area behind the chairs is empty space because if we move them back further they creep into the dining area. We will have another chair to the right of the sofa and a coffee table centered in front of the sofa. I hate to lose all of the carpet that is under the chairs but my instinct tells me the rug should be centered with the sofa.

The pillows are leopard skin print on a dark back ground and they will be replaced with pillows in a Ralph Lauren pattern. I am just not sure which one.

There is five feet of space past the carpet on the door end of the room and six and a half feet of space off the carpet on the window end. DH thinks the size of the carpet is fine but I think it is too small. WDYT?

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I love your furniture and home Holly Kay. I would have liked more formal upholstered pieces for our Gentleman's Parlor, but we both wanted a double recliner for snuggling while watching TV and couldn't find anything. Oh well snuggling is more important since we get so little time together.

Onto your dilemma. The solution I'd try was to angle the chairs just enough that the front legs are still on the rug giving room to push the rug back just enough to put the front legs of the sofa on the rug. It's a little less formal that way, but I think it could work.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Just. The chairs were moved from my library because the rust, orange, and green tones complement the brick color of the sofa. The rug is also from the library. I was taking the living room in a much more feminine direction but DH fell in love with the sofa so I am switching my new chairs that haven't come in yet to the library. Thankfully these chairs work with the sofa so it was doable.

Do you think I should shift the rug more towards the end opposite of the chairs so that there is less rug under the chairs or keep it centered with the sofa? I don't know if it would work to move the rug under the sofa a bit because then there would be a good bit more space between the tv cabinet and the edge of the rug. Don't mind the wafers under the tv cabinet, they are just there to make moving the cabinet easier until we decide on final placement.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Hmmm.... Is the rug centered in the room as a whole?

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Width wise from sofa to TV cab there is about the same amount of hw showing but window to door which is the length it isn't quite centered because I can't go too far back with the chairs. It is an awkward room. Moving the dining into the library would make the living room less awkward to design around but the library has issues of it's own. Also I ordered chairs that I planned for in the living room and now need to use them in the library. Geesh what a mess!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I should have realized that. As usually I'm trying to do too many things at once. I still thinking angling the chairs and bringing the front sofa legs onto the rug should work.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I will try that Just. I get frustrated with our home because the lay out is so awkward but I fell in love with the trees and the setting so over looked the oddness of it. It also worked well when our DD's were still at home because they had their own level with their bedrooms, a full bath, and a living area that was great when they needed away time.

BTW the door that is beside the tv cab is actually a walk in closet. and the end the opposite the chairs has a French door that goes out onto our deck.

I always thought that I would work out the issues shortly after moving in but life and career just got in the way. I am hoping to sell my business in a few years and want to make it a restful spot to relax in when I am finally able to spend more time enjoying it.

Thanks so much for taking the time to comment and help me figure out this tangled mess, I so appreciate it!!!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Though it does sound odd to have a walk in closet in the living room, I bet is comes in handy! When I found the plans for this house I didn't think about there not being a linen closet. Our last home had two. I scrambled for sometime on where to put sheets and towels so I know just what you mean about oddities in a home.
    We were the contractors and though I did make a number of changes to the plans before the build there were many things I didn't catch that needed changing other than no linen closets. Overall it works us with little changes like chest of drawers and cabinets for sheets and towels. And since it's Vic Revival those make more sense than linen closets.
    Yes, setting is something you can't change so I'd say you made the right choice. The little quirks inside a home can become character or be changed over time. The location cannot.

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012