Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holly_kurtz

Yikes!Help! Crooked as all get out

Holly- Kay
10 years ago

So what's the trick to get a lamp shade to sit straight? My new lamp arrived today and I really like it. The colors are so right with the upholstery for my new chairs, but the lamp shade is as crooked as a dog's hind quarters. Seriously, is there an adjustment to make it sit true?

Comments (23)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

The lamp is perfect with your fabric!

I'd just bend it gently to get it straight...it's all based on a metal frame.

• kellienoelle
    10 years ago

Where did you get that lamp holly? I love it!

I have no ideas how to straighten it ,but it is so cute that I would just tilt my head and call it good if need be.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Annie, I think so too. I will push a bit on the one side and hope it helps.

Kellie, I bought it from the artful home website it is a kinzig lamp. I found the lamps on other sites with free shipping but I had already ordered the lamp from artful home and the shipping was expensive.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

Holly-kay, I agree with Annie-replied on your other thread!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks cyn.i tried gently but firmly pushing on it but no luck. I think I may be able to shim the one side. My chairs will be delivered next week so I am excited for each bit of progress.

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Contact the seller and see if they will compensate you for a visit to a lamp maker in your area.
    Sometimes they can surprise you !
    They have Live Chat Help online but may defer you to the artist.

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Lovely lamp! How about some pictures with the shade off? Someone is sure to guide you once we see the frame.

• Elraes Miller
    10 years ago

Sometimes the wiring right under the bulb holder is not pulled tight enough or the knot holding wires in place isn't. Tends to make the wired portion and shade tilt. I had one lamp that drove me nuts and finally fixed it myself. If you don't want to return it, a simple fix for hubby or friend.

• maddielee
    10 years ago

Pretty lamp.

Is the finial screwed down too tight? Try loosening it and see if the shade finds it own balance. If it dosen't something may have been bent out of kilter during shipping.

ML

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

Oh I hate that. The mercury glass based lamp I bought at Tuesday Mornings some years ago and was gaga over is the same way. Never noticed it in the store. I've tried different things as mentioned above but I think the rod up through the lamp itself is crooked. Every once in awhile when I walk by I give it a twist and it looks ok for a day or two.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

That is a great lamp and I love it with your gorgeous granite. I had a shade that wasn't level either and the top of the harp wasn't level. It looked ok when the shade was loose because the weight of the shade made it level, but when I tightened the finial, it made the shade crooked. You might see if it's whatever the finial tightens against.

I also love your fabric. Where did you get it?

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is the lamp without the shade. The rod looks a bit crooked to me.

• Happyladi
    10 years ago

It does look a little crooked.

Please tell us where you got the lamp and the name of it if you can. I really love it.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oooooh, I think I got it! It looks better to me. I put the flat washer under the stem instead of on top. WDYT?

Btw this is not my lamps final destination as this room is in flux right now.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

That looks perfect! I bet you just grin ear to ear every time you see it. It would make me that happy, too! Yippee!

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love it Cyn! I am so anxious for my chairs to be delivered on Wednesday. I have been looking for rugs for it but not finding what I want or think will look good. I guess that is fodder for a new thread of it's own after the chairs are here.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Double post removed.

This post was edited by holly-kay on Sat, Oct 26, 13 at 16:15

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Holly Kay that's a beautiful lamp. Looks much straighter now.
    This and the new chairs go into the room with the leather sofa, correct?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

That did it. It looks much better now.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ml, I bought the chairs for the living room and was planning the sanctuary sofa to go with them. When DH fell in love with the Teton sofa I decided to use my library chairs and rug to go with the Teton. The brick colored leather,IMO, wasn't going to work with the blues and greens in this fabric so I am using the new chairs and the lamp in my library. The chairs that were in my library have the brick color, green, gold and orange in them so they look nice with the Teton sofa.

I was only planning to re-do the living room but DH changed the whole game plan so now the library is being done also. I am really getting weary of the process.

• Holly- Kay
    Original Author
    10 years ago

ML, here is a thread that shows my old library chairs used with the new leather sofa in our living room. They look fine for now but I may eventually move them to the lower level family room and get new chairs for here in the living room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread showing old chairs

• Susan Leguire
    5 years ago

I used a glue gun until it looked straight. I just planned on it being in that place for sometime.