Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline5_gw

Formal Dining Room

jacqueline5
10 years ago

Hi

Our formal dining room was damaged by a flood in the upstairs master bath. The ceiling had to come down and my antique Waterford chandelier was destroyed. --insert very sad face here --. When the Sheetrock guys replaced the ceiling I took advantage of the situation and asked for a smooth imperfect texture. I've always hated the light orange peel texture the builder applied. I can not decide what to do with the room. It was a dark cranberry color that I loved nine years ago but now I think it's time for a change. I will replace the chandelier with another crystal one when I can find what I want. I'm thinking possibly wallpaper this time but I will have to mud the walls to smooth them (I've done it before). The other thing I'm considering is a metallic paint on the ceiling and some kind of warm, rich paint color on the walls. I'd like to keep my Karastan rug. It has a ton of colors - will go with almost anything, but I'm not opposed to putting it in another room and buying a new one if need be. The furniture is English walnut. I'll post photos. The furniture is stacked in the library but you'll get the idea of style and tone of the wood. I will have to buy all new drapes and can recover the dining chair seats. the crown molding will go back up. Would you like to help me redecorate my dining room? I'm open to any and all ideas.

Comments (21)

• jacqueline5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Furniture

• lascatx
    10 years ago

If you loved the Waterford chandelier, would you want to have it rewired? It would seem that water would damage the wiring, but the crystals and frame should be salvageable. The frame could even be refinished. You could also look at Replacements and see if they have something like it. I looked at some there when I was looking for my dining room chandelier.

As for paint color, do you have a favorite color or some fabric to help with an inspiration? A style, mood, feel -- anything to start the process?

• Fun2BHere
    10 years ago

I'm sorry you've had to deal with a home disaster. It's good that you are looking forward to redecorating the dining room. I've always wanted to do a metallic leafed ceiling, either gold or aluminum. I think it would look amazing in low light and candlelight.

Have you thought about using your china as a design inspiration, assuming it isn't plain cream or white? Otherwise, I would probably be visiting the closest design center to browse fabrics to find inspiration.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Do you have art for color scheme? Or maybe look at fabrics to find something you'd like to use...or go to the wall paper store on a rainy day so you can take your time. So sorry for the damage, but what a great opportunity!

• jacqueline5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi

Thank you for your empathy! This has been incredibly stressful. I have been focusing on the bathroom which was a total gut to the studs. I finally almost have everything selected. I have the dining room and then sun room to go and then, I'm hoping to get back to the projects I had planned to work on.

With regard to my beloved chandelier. Alas, it can not be restored nice enough to use in the dining room again. It is from the early 1920s, the body was hand blown and really brittle, when they tried to braise the rust out the inside, it started to crack and the restorer (correctly) refused to keep going. All the metal parts have been cleaned of rust but do not look all that great. I had it rewired anyway as I do still have the crystals and plan to use it hung up in a little cozy reading nook I'm creating for myself in a different area of the house. I'm actually thinking I want a larger chandelier in the dining room. My 5 arm waterford was actually a little small for the room anyway.

As far as favorite color, it is blue, all shades, but my family (including my mother who has impeccable taste) has told me I'm on the verge of overdoing blue in the house. In the kitchen we have an Azul Bahia granite island that is the inspiration for the kitchen and great room. I collect flo blue china and I felt I had too much blue going on (walls were blue) so I decided to change the walls to a light silvery gray. Just before the flood, I painted the kitchen and great room walls BM Ice Cube Silver to tone down some of the blue but despite it having zero color aside from lamp black and the white BM base, it reads light blue in my home. Master bedroom is also blue but more cornflower. I've thought about a dark navy with gold metallic ceiling but considering the amount of blue in the house I'm afraid of it appearing boring or predictable.

Spending a rainy day looking at wallpaper sounds dreamy. Alas, it was 80 degrees today and our little town no longer has a wallpaper shop, they all closed in the last few years. I will have to Internet shop and send for samples - which quickly became overwhelming. Dame with fabric. We only have one fabric store, a small JoAnns.

I do not have any art for the room. I had an antique lace fan in a frame and two oil paintings that were also destroyed.

As you can probably tell, I'm overwhelmed. If you could design the perfect, timeless formal dining room what would it look like?

I'm going to Los Angeles for a business trip next week and hope to go to the Getty for artistic inspiration. In the meantime, I'll be checking Gardenweb for your gracious assistance.

Here's a photo of the rug. It cleaned up just fine. The pic is not the greatest, the rug is rolled up and it was hard to get a good photo. I don't have to use it, I can move it to the library.

Thank you!

• jacqueline5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oops! Forgot to include the rug photo.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Wallpaper panel by Genevieve White Carter.
    This would be fabulous above the chair rail in the above dining room, although if you're hanging artwork this simply wouldn't work

Here is a link that might be useful: PeacockWallpaper

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

If you're at risk of blue overload, how about picking up on the red tones in the rug with blue as an accent color....maybe something like this:

that can be coordinated with

at least as a starting point...

(waverly from housefabric.com)

• juliekcmo
    10 years ago

Our former house had wallpaper in burgundy close to the color of your current walls.

2 years ago I removed, and painted BM Greenfield Pumpkin, which is a caramel color. We had plaster moldings and woodwork in White Dove.

It was a great color. Looked fantastic with all my things. Consider it for something to add warmth and not be a "color" color.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

I was going to suggest dark/navy blue before seeing the above picture. e.g. BM Hale Navy.
    And below a link on how to pull paint color from a rug.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to pull colors from a rug

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

I love mlweaving's inspiration dining room. Even though the wall are navy, breaking it up with the white wainscotting is a great way to not have the color dominate the room.

If the traditional height wainscotting shortens the visual height of the room, you could consider running it up to 2 ft below the ceiling height and then either painting or installing wallpaper above the rail like in these photos.

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

Blue rooms that don't have wainscoting:

Or how about the slightly toned down light turquoise:

• threeapples
    10 years ago

So sorry about the flood!
    What about a plaster ornamentation on the ceiling? We did this in our dining room and love it. Your rug is stunning. I also love that deep blue inspiration photo below your rug pic. What about a very deep brown or aubergine? I included a photo of our ceiling.

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

I love that rug! Here are a few ideas :)

This one has beautiful glassware, but the chairs would look better in gold... From Dining rooms

These chairs are beautiful... {{!gwi}}From Dining rooms

And this would look nice with burgandy drapes, IMHO... {{!gwi}}From Dining rooms

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

If it were me, id binge on shelter mags on the plane ride. And deplane with a few pages torn out. Your mission right now is pretty wide open, with just the rug to consider.

Do something fun.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

If it were me, id binge on shelter mags on the plane ride. And deplane with a few pages torn out. Your mission right now is pretty wide open, with just the rug to consider.

Do something fun.

• sundownr
    10 years ago

Sorry you are having to remodel/decorate without choosing to. It's hard enough when you do want to. :)

I've been jonesing for a navy room but I just repainted a couple of years ago so it's too soon. I love the dining rooms posted here so if you don't already have too much blue, go for it!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Oh my gosh Annie, the carpet in that room looks like the one Jacqueline has. That dining room is so lovely!

• nosoccermom
    10 years ago

You can also achieve a similar effect with glossy-matte paint.

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022