Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
where do i put the wreaths on ouside windows?

Posted by madeyna (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 18:23

I want to put outside wreaths on my tall thin sunroom windows but I don,t know if they should be put in the center of each window or hung on the divider between them. The windows are about 2ft wide by 5 feet tall and have a 5 inch divider between each window. I saw some wreaths on someones outside windows posted here last year . Thats where I got the idea of putting wreaths on them but I don,t remember where they placed the wreaths. I would like to order them now to be assured of getting the right number of wreaths but the number of wreaths needed depends on where I place them. I am going with smaller wreaths (20 inch)since the next size up is double the price.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: where do i put the wreaths on ouside windows?

Centre the wreaths ON the windows, about two thirds of the way up from the windowsill. I use wreaths with colored lights on my windows every year, and this awesome. Placed on the windows, you get to enjoy the wreaths from inside, too. Plus it's tradition: wreaths were of holly (and other sharp, evergreen materials) were placed on windows by ancient pagans to prevent the entry of spirits on the longest night of the year, December 21st, the Winter Solstice. (Fyi, "pagan" is latin for country dweller or villager, NOT "witch" as many people think)

As with many ancient solstice traditions (xmas trees, mistletoe yule logs, eating oranges & hazelnuts) wreaths were adopted as part of the celebration of Christ's birth by country folk who weren't completely sold on christianity and didn't want to abandon their important celebrations that were tied into seasonal cycles of the sun, moon, earth and crops. The Winter Solstice was a joyous celebration of rebirth and vanquishing darkness: the return of the sun, lengthening days. And hey, around about Dec 21st when nightfall's at 4pm and life revolves around feeding the woodstove and shovelling the driveway in the dark, I totally get their point : p

o

You may be surprised at how small a 20 inch wreath is. Sellers do some creative measuring when they are sizing wreaths.

o

I can't find an outside Christmas picture.

We hang wreaths in 7 windows (32 x 72) each year. We place the center of the hole of the wreath a little lower then the middle of the second pane from the top. I think our wreaths were sold as 20", may be 18? they do fluff out bigger.

Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

o

Ahh your dog is so cute enjoying his view. I have a mini dackshund and cat that sit together for hours doing the same thing. Thanks for answering my guestion everyone. I will order one wreath for every window.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here