Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cherigw_gw

Innovative?? Or misses the mark. . .

cherigw
11 years ago

I'd like to use these lamps in my bedroom, but I think they are too short. Came up with this idea. . .opinions??

Comments (28)

• graywings123
    11 years ago

I don't think they would be too short sitting directly on the nightstands. It looks too tall as is.

As for the stands, it is a creative idea, but I would be concerned about stability - possibly getting knocked off if you reached the wrong way trying to turn on the light.

• cherigw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Graywings, here's another picture. They do look a little tall in the first one, but I think this has better perspective. They actually sit pretty solid, but I'll certainly check it out before I decide it's a done deal! I'm in the midst of a minor "re-do" courtesy of a major rainstorm/leak during a re-roof, hence, nothing back on the walls yet since I will change some of that as well.

• lindac
    11 years ago

I think the problem is not too tall but that those glass lamps don't look like they belong on those bases. perhaps a solid glazed ceramic lamp would look a lot better.
    Linda C

• yayagal
    11 years ago

That would be a perfect spot for a wall lamp so you could read by it and a nice piece of art of some sort in the middle.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I think they are too short and I suggest some wall lamps with something of interest on the wall.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I think it is a clever idea and the size now looks perfect to me, but I can't decide. I think lindac may be right that they need more substance to work really well with the bases. Is it possible to fill the glass bases with something? Pebbles, shells...or maybe black shades?

• _sophiewheeler
    11 years ago

Glass lamps work best with a dark background. They add lightness and sparkle then. With the light background of your bedroom, they fade away, leaving the shades to appear suspended in mid air---and not like they are swing arm lamps either. And something about their overall size is too small. It's not just the height.

• kathy77
    11 years ago

They would get knocked over in my bedroom. And if they are too short without the bases, then mine are way too short.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

I think if they are stable on the stands they stand no more chance of being knocked over than if they were sitting on the table. They are not too high if you want to read by them...maybe not even high enough for that.

I think it is both innovative and misses the mark: I would keep it that way as a problem solver but probably also look for different lamps as well.

• caminnc
    11 years ago

I like yayagal's suggestion of a wall lamp. I would add a mirror on both sides as in this picture from houzz (althought I would not use two lamps like they did). I like your idea if the lamps are stable but I don't think it works as good as it should. I would put a very dark lampshade on it to tie the top and the bottom together. Maybe you can use them in another room.

• Fun2BHere
    11 years ago

I did something like that with my bedside lamps, but my lamps are not transparent. I would post a picture, but they are off having new shades made.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    11 years ago

Perhaps spray paint the new bases an old gold to match the metal trim on the bed and nightstands and add some trim with old gold and off white to the lampshades.

Personaly, cherigw, I think you have hit upon a very clever solution to the problem of the too short lamps. Congratulations on your innovative thinking.

• cherigw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!! Appreciate your thoughts. . .looks like it is back to the drawing board. Stability doesn't seem to be an issue, but I agree that "something" is missing. I thought is was the elevation (yes, Pal, I am a bed reader) and the pedestals did solve this problem. Haven't been a big fan of swing arm lamps as they remind me too much of hotels, but looking a caminnc's pic (based on yaygals comment), I will reconsider. . .that pic is lovely! Will try a darker shade (caninnc and cyn 427), but I think Lindaac and Pal have hit it on the head. . .not enough "substance". Because they are functional, they will probably stay until I find something the "really" works. . .then the pedestals will go back under the jardiniere/fish bowl planters from whence they came and the lamps will find another home!! If anyone has any suggestion/photos/links of something that would work, I would be MOST appreciative!! Thanks again. . GW is the best!!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

FWIW I think those bases were brilliant in that they were the perfect diameter for the lamps, lol. Unfortunately, they are the wrong style for those lamps.

Considering you have books on the nightstand anyway, I don't know why you wouldn't just use the books to raise the lamps. I guess it is not everyone's style, but I love it, especially in a bedroom. Good luck!

• cherigw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks walnutcreek! Never thought about tying in the hardware on the nightable/headboard with the lamps. After sleeping a couple nights with the lamps on their pedestals, I am beginning, at least, to understand how tall my lamps need to be for me!!

• cherigw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi Cindyloo123. . .this is too, too funny!! It was a bit of serendipity that the bases fit the lamps. . and also funny that I first did books to elevate the lamps and then thought of using the jardiniere pedestals. I thought they might work since the lamps are "oriental ginger jar" and my furniture is (obviously) campaign style. Oh well. . .that's why I love GW. . .you either get a "you go girl!!. . or "ummm. . . let's think about this"!!

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

Ah, but I don't think the lamps ARE "oriental ginger jar". They look contemporary to me, but I'm no expert.

Anyway I feel your pain. The difficulty in getting bedside lamps that are the right height is a frequent topic here. Btw, I love your bedding!

• cherigw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks Cindy. . I thnk that was the PB description several years ago when I got them. . .what can I say. . .I fell for it. .thank you for the compliment on the bedding. . .that's PB also. .I love the Napoleonic bees!!

I'll get there (where every "there" is). . .eventually. . everything is always a "work in progress"!

• kswl2
    11 years ago

I don't have strong feelings about the height---if they are tall enough for you, that is tall enough. I agree they look lost against the light background.

However, if you do plan to use those or any other lamps on those bases, you can secure them with small blobs of museum putty at four or five places along the underside of the lamp. That's a clear sticky but not permanent stuff that is used to keep vases on corbels and shelves, and all manner of other things in place.

• Nancy in Mich
    11 years ago

Cherigw, don't give up on the lamps yet. They come apart very easily, likely the brass tube going through them unscrews and then you can take them apart. This is good because then you can decorate the inside of the glass. You can use paints that complement your decor. That will give the jars the weight that they need. Using black as one of the colors will tie the black bases into the lamp. Also use an antique gold or brass color to tie in the color of the hardware on the nightstands and the gold bees? on your comforter. Get a third color from the room decor and swirl the colors around on that glass. Or if the opening on the top of the jar is small, just paint one color. The reason you are painting inside the glass is that the paint will not peel off as easily. It would peel every time it touched something on the outside.

You could also get cloth or ribbons of the right colors and swirl them around inside the lamps. If those are gold bees on your comforters, you might even look for a few in the applique section of the store and position them inside, too.

Another option, now that you have the lamps apart, is to try any other jar that you like, instead. Any local lamp shop can help you if you need to get a few different parts for your new jars.

I bet there is some kind of fabric dye or metallic paint that you could use on your lampshades, too, to give them an old gold color. Or you can just paint the lower and upper edges of the lampshades, or even just glue on a decorative ribbon or trim with Tacky Glue. (I once made an entire no-sew lampshade with an antique frame, bias tape, bridal fabric, fancy trim, fringe, and Tacky Glue!)

• Olychick
    11 years ago

cherigw, I saw this lamp today and thought of yours. What would you think of painting yours? There is a method and/or a paint that mimics mercury glass Krylon Looking Glass. You could actually paint them any color you want.

There are directions all over the internet; here is one link to plain white paint, but should work for any color. If you like the look of the mercury glass there are lots of tutorials available.

Here is a link that might be useful: painting glass

• cherigw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks again everyone for the feedback and information!!
    kwsl. . I actually do have some museum putty! Excellent idea for as long as I have those lamps on the bases.

Nancy in Mich and Olychick. . .those are wonderful ideas!! I think I'll try some different colors/textures of fabric. . .and, I'm really intrigued by the mercury glass paint thing. Maybe try it out on some old pieces of glassware first.

Thanks again ladies!!

• cherigw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

thanks again everyone for the feedback and information!!
    kwsl. . I actually do have some museum putty! Excellent idea for as long as I have those lamps on the bases.

Nancy in Mich and Olychick. . .those are wonderful ideas!! I think I'll try some different colors/textures of fabric. . .and, I'm really intrigued by the mercury glass paint thing. Maybe try it out on some old pieces of glassware first.

Thanks again ladies!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I almost bought glass lamps, with a slight green hue, from MGBW.

But you can see the cord, which ruins it. IMHO that is a big drawback with the beauty of glass. It's like "pay no attention to that man behind the curtain"!

• cherigw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mtnrdredux, your right about the cords. . . kind of like a new paint color that isn't quite what you expected when you put it on, but you grow to really like it. The cords don't bother me now. . .and if I find something to "fill" the interiors with, they won't be an issue at all.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

In the loose-cord style of clear lamp, the cord is part of the design, in theory. Just like french wired lamps that the wire comes out at the switch and dangles down the side of the base.

• cherigw
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pal. . you always have the greatest information! thanks. . . I'll remember this!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

hmm, then they should make it more interesting so it looks more intentional ... like the cloth covered brown cords -- love those