Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zoey75

Bathroom Tile Help..Pics Attached

zoey75
10 years ago

We are renovating our main bath (the kids use it and guests). Floor will be a diagonal tile & Shower/Tub will be straight tile with accent border. Nothing fancy ;)

I picked out two tile samples and some accent tile. I would love some advice, opinions etc. And I am including a pic of my master bath because I do not think I want the two looking exactly the same (esp since I rebought the same cabinet - not sure what I was thinking).

Here is the bath cabinet & two tiles I liked. The one sample is a shiny finish but I will be getting matte finish.

This post was edited by zoey75 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 18:35

Comments (26)

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a picture of the border tile

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is a pic of the border tile that matches the tile on the left. The sample is shiny but ours would be a matte finish.

This post was edited by zoey75 on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 18:26

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And lastly..here is my master bath so you can get an idea of what I already have. Thank you!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

By the looks of your master bath and your choices of tiles you know what you're doing. Not sure I can give you much help, but since you want them to be different I'd go with one of the first two border tiles and the large tile, the shiny one that won't be shiny.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you justgotabme! So nice to get a compliment. I appreciate you taking the time to respond.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Very pretty tiles. I love your choices. Be sure that the floor tiles are not slippery when wet. Pour some water on a sample and slide your foot over it. Good luck!

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you dedtired. Great idea.

Any opinions on a direction or choice would be great! Thank you.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Since you want it to be a little different, I like the mosaic accent tile on the left in the second picture...the rectangles. It will be a pretty bath.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

You're welcome zoey. I should clarify I meant one of the two darker mix border tiles on the left. Makes me want to redo a bathroom. First I'd have to finish one though. LOL

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

Of the four, the first one is most au courant IMHO.

• TXBluebonnet11
    10 years ago

I prefer one of the border tiles that is cut from the same tile as the larger tile. It's classic, elegant and you won't get tired of it. You could add additional color with a painted finish on the top half of the wall. The monotone tiles would be subdued and neutral, so you could be more bold with the paint and accent colors (towels, etc). Just one idea. You could introduce new colors into the room when you get tired of the old ones with a neutral backdrop like this. Not that all of these aren't neutral. They are. I just prefer the monotone option because it lends itself to more flexibility when you want to redecorate.

This post was edited by TXBluebonnet11 on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 1:07

• amykath
    10 years ago

I really like the shiny large tile. Where did you find it and what is the name and type of stone?

You are going to have a lovely bathroom! I look forward to more pics!

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all so much!!! I really like this tile with the subway on the right. Do you think it is too vanilla? I want a subway tile but like the colors of the others too. I like things very clean, basic. The accent tile will only be in the shower/tub as a border. It is a small bathroom so no wall tiles. Maybe I should look for other subway tile options?

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

aktillery The polish shiny tile is GST Porcelain - Travertini Series - Color is Crema Polished (it comes in unpolished too). It is actually prettier in person.

• amykath
    10 years ago

Thanks Zoey!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Didn't read back through all of the comments but I really like the floor tile on the right and the border tile on the right.

• anele_gw
    10 years ago

I think if you really like the tile on the right, go for it. I agreed to a tile that was a little too trendy for my taste, and always regreted it. Thankfully, we moved.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all! Great advice and very helpful :)

• busybee3
    10 years ago

they all look nice- none are a bad choice! if i were choosing, i'd probably go with either the far right or far left mosaics with either of the field tiles...

what do your kids say?? my kids would definitely have prefered something alittle bolder and not so plain! they're all fine choices- i'd probably leave the final choice up to them!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I like vanilla. If that's what you love then go for it.

• CaroleOH
    10 years ago

I like the "vanilla" option best. I think tile should be neutral in color. Use your paint/throw rugs/accessories to be more colorful.

The dark brown mixed with the light is too harsh of a contrast to me. I think too that having it similar to the master makes the house look more cohesive.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you all..Spoke to my husband & he likes the Tile on the right with the subway (same one I like). So here is our hopefully final choice. It has more movement on person & is not quite so light.

I also asked my kids for fun..they are 9 & 5. My 9 yr old son asked if they made a shiny metal tile & my 5 year old daughter wants a pink & purple bathroom. So much for their help ;)

• natesgram
    10 years ago

I wouldn't go to light on the grout of the small tiles. I like the way it looks above. A dark grout would really show it off. Love your choices. Keep us posted with progress pictures.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Natesgram..I agree & I will not do a light grout (took much upkeep) But then again nothing too dark, maybe a shade or two dark than the tile.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

I never weigh in on these sorts of threads, but I have to agree on the Vanilla combo you put together. I will endure I think.

We built our house in the late 80s and I always secretly thank the tile guy who kept us away from teal and pink for our floor tiles. :) They need to be replaced, but not as desperately as they could.

Beth P.

• zoey75
    Original Author
    10 years ago

bethpen..thank you so much for taking the time to post. Everyone has helped me so much in making a decision. Good point about keeping things classic.