Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nami_gw

The hottest color scheme

nami
15 years ago

What is the new blue and brown? Abiut a year ago you couldnt find a designer on TV who didnt do the blue and brown or the blue and tan. What are the hottest color schemes for 2008-09? For those of you who are redecorating your homes what color schemes are you considering?

I soooo need inspiration

Thanks

Nami

Comments (28)

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I'm doing silver/grey & cream/beige for our master bedroom.
    I don't know if it's hot or not but that's what I'm channeling right now. I like the look of drift wood on pale sand.

Elsewhere in the house it's silver/grey/blue & blue/green (or is it green blue). Our house is close to the ocean and every morning when I drive my kids to school, the ocean is stretching out -- the color between grey & blue & green.

I am so in love w/ grey.

Another beautiful combination would be dark green & grey : think a/b spanish moss growing on a grey bark of a tree.

Nature is always a HUGE source of inspiration for me. That's where I look for my color schemes.

I don't know what's hot. But I have the feeling the 70s is coming back.

• daisyadair
    15 years ago

Here's my color palette :)

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

I'm doing two bedrooms right now. One has SW Latte walls and will have chocolate paisley bedding with bold red accents in the lamps, throw pillows, etc. The second has pale green walls, will have cream bedding with accents in bright green and orange with a little dark brown thrown in. I have no idea if it is in style, but it is what is calling to me right now... :-)

daisyadair, LOVE that palette! Jaymie

• sheys-garden
    15 years ago

We are building a 8X14 bath onto our bedroom now and my husband wanted to use either an orange or teal color-go figure,most men are bland.I seem to always lean towards browns,beige,golds and sunset reds.My kitchen and dining room are a coffe latte color and I have had so many compliments.While looking lately in the catalogs and stores it seems to be alot of baby blue and browns but I just dont care for blues too much,so who knows what color I will have.My other bath is steel gay with accents of black,white and red.

• budge1
    15 years ago

grey, grey and grey.

I like it paired with a bright - like tangerine orange or turquoise.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

budge: woman after my own heart. :-)

• Sueb20
    15 years ago

I never care about what's "Hot" (in fact, if I suspected my color scheme was a hot trend, I'd probably want to change it) but I have always gravitated to the same colors for my living areas: reds, greens, and golds. These are the colors throughout the entire first floor of my house. I love gray too, when it's used well, but somehow I've never been able to find a way to use it in my house.

• redroze
    15 years ago

I'm seeing a lot of "greige" (grey/beige) mixed with purples and dark brown. I'm using this combination in my family room. I love the look, it's not too masculine and not too feminine.

• meg711
    15 years ago

I sound like a recording: I'm still using blue and brown, but not the robins eggs blue and chocolate brown that was/is so prevalent. Instead it's more a peacock blue with caramel/bronze tones, tans and browns. And I know it's NOT a hot combo right now because finding fabrics has been a royal PITA.

Some of our fabrics for the family room/eating area:

I really wanted to have a true sky blue somewhere, but they are really not showing that color in patterned fabrics. This is the closest I could find. It's for our bedroom, although the background is not as peachy or pinky IRL:

And, finally, a plaid with sky blue but, of course, it's discontinued. Designer said it looks like 1980s herculon, but who cares?

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

Greys are *definitely* one of the it colors now.

• beachlily z9a
    15 years ago

What's hot? I don't pay attention, but I know what isn't. Three days ago, on our travel home, we stayed in a Marriott Fairfield Inn in Knoxville. It had just been updated, as it were. My husband called it the Braniff motif. Picture a small elevator carpeted in bold navy and lime stripes, each about 2 ft wide. When we got to the third floor, the pubic area had the same carpet but the wallpaper was orange. Absolutely awful!! Our room wasn't bad (except for the lime accent wall) but the bath had white and black subway tile and a lime shower curtain. It felt like we should be doing something illegal with those weedy things! Could it have been time travel??

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

flyleft: ha! reflective of our country's current economy :-)

• neetsiepie
    15 years ago

I read once that when the economy is down, hemlines lower and colors get more somber. So, we'll probably see a lot more minimalist styles in decorating and darker toned colors.

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

beachlily...BRANIFF! My dad was a captain for Braniff Airlines. He retired (early due to a back injury) just a couple of years before they went under. Many many happy memories flying around the country on those brightly colored planes :)
    Monica

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

Per Kelly Wearstler --- mauve is back big time. ;-)
    And brass :-)

Time to throw out your brushed nickel. I feel sorry for the folks on kitchen forum--those Brushed nickel faucets are out out out . *wink* ;-)

See this and weep. :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: kelly the design goddess divines

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

That's what I've been thinking, bellaflora (re the economy and shades of gray).

Kelly Wearstler's new 70s move -- I ain' buyin' it. One or two of those photos in Domino almost made me motion sick--that mountain wallpaper...

• User
    15 years ago

No offense intended to any of her fans, but for me, after seeing some of the clothing and hair styles Kelly Wearstler wears on Top Design, her design style did not surprise me at all. It's tacky and not very appealing at all. Mauve? yuck :c(

As for color choices, I've always leaned towards yellows, greens and blues, not always the most popular colors but I don't really care about that, I've tried other colors and always gravitate back to them, home isn't home without them. :c)

• mistybear11
    15 years ago

I have been painting in shades of gray as well. Not because it is in style but because I finally figured out how to use up leftover paint and still get the colour I want. I started out with a colour called purple martin but when it went on the wall it had a brown undertone. Too much brown(considering it was supposed to be eggplant).I had already bought 4 gallons and I didn't know what I was going to do with them. I figured I had nothing to lose and went downstairs and dug out the paint colours I had used years before. Mixed a couple here and there, added some of the brown paint and with a lot of luck, ended up with the colours that I have wanted from day one. I added brown to green, to blue and to purple. Plus I totally emptied 10 gallons of old partly used paint. Plus I have enough paint to do the entire inside of the house.

Maybe because the hot colour is the in grays, is the reason I had the nerve to mix paints in the first place.

• ttodd
    15 years ago

Suddenly I'm really into shades of taupe, grey, brown and blue and have ditched my always present green. Maybe I should thank the thread "Mentalpause" for getting me to add the blue. Must have been that gorgeous Bosporous Flax fabric that was posted and the fact that DH brought a wonderful French chair home for me for my desk that same day. The seat upholstery is screaming BOSPOROUS FLAX at me!

I really like anything that reads as the 'pewterish', aged silver and old antiqued gold.

Colors that I'm working w/ currently:

BM: Pismo Dunes and Hot Springs Stone.
    SW: Requisite Gray, Backdrop and Topsail
    Eddie Bauer: Alabaster

• sandra12
    15 years ago

I have been using sages with brown and gold. Don't know if it's in style, don't really care. LOL! I have ditched the burgundy colors what were ever present for many years, except in our spare bedroom. It was painted that color for my husbands office. He loved it. I don't want to paint right away , so, am living with it for now.

• johnatemp
    15 years ago

I am def. seeing the American Sweedish designs in the mags - can't say it is for me - but I like looking at it. I also look awful in light grays - Whatever beauty company does seasons for your coloring said I was a winter??!!

I always have to work around something I already have....so changing the whole house b/c of what's "in" is not for me. Besides, I am far too lazy & cheap to redo it all. I wish I had Ttodds energy for painting !!

This is my favorite time of year - fall - I love the colors, the crispness of the air, bonfires, pumpkins, etc so I think my house somewhat reflects that.

Smiles:)

• jerseygirl_1
    15 years ago

I've started to use Teal Blue/Browns/Bluish Grays in my LR, Entry, and Foyer. I painted our entry BM Grenada Villa which is a Teal Blue. My LR and DR are painted BM Seaspray. I'll take some pics to show you and will post later. These rooms are works in progress.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

Funny, I've been painting in cool taupes, grayed colors, browns and blues (with a pop of warm red here and there) since we bought our first house a dozen years ago, and I'm finally in style! :) Too bad I'll be out of style in another month or so.

And sorry, but when I take decorating advice from Kelly Wearstler, someone will need to check me into the funny farm. Who can take someone who purposefully dresses like a rooster seriously?

• patricianat
    15 years ago

This is JMHO but I have noticed that when colors start to fade and another replaces it, it is near but not close enough to be the same, i.e., grays are replacing blues and taupes are replacing coffee browns.

Remember the mauve merlot colors of the 80s that were replaced by the Italian reds, which were replaced by the Mexican and Chinese reds c.2000. The hunter/emerald greens were replaced by sages and herb greens, the browned-down greens.

Colonial blue was replaced by a more robin's egg. Just my observations.

I have always heard that the runway determines the colors of cars, interior colors 5 years in advance. Or is it more cultural?

We are seeing a lot of fabrics from the old Soviet block rocking the market.

With all the immigrants from Middle and Far East etc., we saw the surge in granite and stones. Tapestries were sold everywhere.

During the Margaret Thatcher years, everyone was buying Chippendale and Queen Ann.

The past few years we went toward French.

The reds we have seen were definitely more Chinese and Mexican but started to trend toward French.

Kilims became hot items, especially during the Afghan War.

I think our melting pot flows toward the latest, hottest culture of the day. Nothing wrong with that, but I wonder if it is because we Americans have always had access to so much, that we can become schizophrenic by going with the trend of the day.

The trend toward mid century sent us back to the Danish look.

There was a big trend in the early 80s after opening relationships with China toward Oriental.

I, too, see that Swedish is big in the magazines right now, and some of that is reflected in the Paris Apartment look as well.

Was it Fritz and Gritz who sent us to the primitive look?

Lots to ponder here. I just like what I like and try to keep it fresh with changing out colors of pillows, rugs, lamp shades, etc.

• keepingitsimple
    15 years ago

Great observation patricia43, loved your input.

• lightlystarched
    15 years ago

My kitchen/dining/living areas are painted a soft grey with cream trim. I have light maple cabinets and soapstone counters. My couch is long, low black leather. My accent color is pale pear greeen. So: grey, cream, black, pear, and pale golden wood with silver metals is what I'm loving right now. I am heavily influenced by pale Swedish interiors.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I kinda like Kelly's hair & style. She has a strong point of view & amazing sense of color. Also a very keen eyes for details.

Her spread in domino is akin to a fashion avant-garde collection. It's not possible to wear the whole thing but there are elements in it that can translate to daily wear.

I always find her designs "inspirational". She makes me think outside the box. Just my opinion. :-)

• mjlb
    15 years ago

I make no attempt to follow the color trends. Since they are cyclical, I seem to be 'in' every once in a while. But if you want to know, I'd consult Pantone (see link below).

Here is a link that might be useful: Pantone Fall 2008 Color Trend