Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jjam08

reading lamp that clips on to the headboard?

jjam
9 years ago

Anyone have experience with a good quality reading lamp that could clip on to an upholstered headboard? The headboard is a box shape with rounded corners, and has tufting.

I'm using a pair of wall mounted sconces on either side of the bed as night tables so I'd rather keep the lamps (I'd need two) on the wall or on the headboard.

DH is at IKEA right now and he says they don't have anything that would work. I was hoping they would have something because the price there is always right!

Thanks in advance if anyone has had success with something similar.

Comments (15)

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Most clip lights come with a warning saying not to use them near beds because they could slip off and cause a fire in the bedding. Having said that, I used one for years that had sort of screw type mechanism rather than a clip. Sorry I don't know where you'd find one.

• daisychain01
    9 years ago

Most clip lights come with a warning saying not to use them near beds because they could slip off and cause a fire in the bedding. Having said that, I used one for years that had sort of screw type mechanism rather than a clip. Sorry I don't know where you'd find one.

• bpath
    9 years ago

You could find one at college dorm suppliers. My son had one for his top bunk and no fire started even in those close quarters. There's a nice steel one in the link, and how about those groovy colorful CFLs?

Here is a link that might be useful: Clip on the headboard light

• bpath
    9 years ago

I didn't see that you said upholstered. I'd do skinny floor lamps behind the bed instead. But maybe you could still use the far-.out light bulbs :)

• Sandy1963
    9 years ago

Try the Vermont Country Store, it looks to be reasonably priced....

Here is a link that might be useful: Lamp

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I am assuming that you are not needing additional lighting for the bedroom but simply task lighting for reading.

Have you considered buying a backlit e-reader like Kindle Paperwhite? You could read in bed and wouldn't need a light.

Or something like an Itty Bitty Book Light?

Walmart has several different clip-on lights that would probably work. However, I think a clip on your upholstered headboard would eventually make a permanent dent in the padding.

Here is a link that might be useful: walmart

• chispa
    9 years ago

Pottery barn had some good/sturdy ones a few years back, but I don't see how they would stay attached to an upholstered headboard. They worked best on wood, around 1" thick and in a horizontal position. The kids had bookcase headboards so the light could be attached to one of the horizontal shelves. Any other position caused the lamp clip to slide/slip. The lamps got pretty hot too.

• ravencajun Zone 8b TX
    9 years ago

I have one I bought a few years ago at bed bath and beyond. It never fell off , clamped on tight but the fabric and padding might make it to thick.

My tablets are all Android with the various reader apps including kindle and nook, I can adjust the back light for perfect reading in bed.

I do have a stand lamp with a flexible neck beside the bed that I can Bend around where I need it, very safe.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks so much, everyone. I must admit I hadn't considered the safety issue, and I will pay close attention to that. The headboard is covered in microfiber so I wasn't too worried about damage to the fabric; I think it will be ok.

The type i had pictured i my head is one that would clip to the top of the headboard (this one is pretty tall) and have a long goose neck attached, then the light on the end. The goose neck would have to be stiff enough to hold its shape so that it doesn't just flop onto the headboard.

DH says we could probably just mount them to the wall above the headboard, but I was trying to avoid that.

I thought I had seen these, either at a hotel or in a photo somewhere, but when you google it, most are permanently attached, either to the headboard or the wall.

Maybe the safety issue is the reason. I'll keep working on it and will post a photo when I come up with a solution.

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I just got mine at Ikea. I was sick of book lights---keeping up with batteries was a pain. Years ago DH built two armories to flank our bed. He put a side slot for things like alarms, kleenex..sort of hidden keeps the look clean and neat. I told him at the time there is no where for a bed side lamp....26 years later I purchased a clip on and it clips to the slot edge not the head board. I can see how the thickness of your headboard will be a challenge to find a clip..my kids have had cheap cheap, utilitarian (ugly) clip ons on their headboards, but that was before we upholstered them. Once upholstered we went to bedside table lamps. I would not want to risk puncturing the upholstery.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

arcy, thanks so much. I'm curious about the side slot on your armoires. We have a similar set up at our beach house; two armoires (from ikea) that flank our bed, and now we don't have anywhere to set things down. Was the side slot an opening in the side of the armoire?

We're looking at headboards that might have some storage to solve this problem, too.

Thanks

• westsider40
    9 years ago

I got ours at Lowes for $20 in May 2014. Love them. Modernish or contemporary and work like a charm. Clips onto our wooden Ikea headboards.

• jjam
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thanks westsider, I will look there; that's the price point I had in mind!

• dilly_ny
    9 years ago

I gave up on trying to find ideal sconces for reading light. Instead, I picked up a pair of hug lights at Costco. Love 'em.

Here is a link that might be useful: Hug lights

Sponsored
We believe that great design should be accessible to everyone