Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Treatments for small room with a lot of windows

Sueb20
9 years ago

This is a lousy pic of my dining room/library. We still call it "the dining room" even though no one dines there. We read there and drink coffee there. There are bookcases on the one wall you can't see, and usually there are a few chairs in addition to the loveseat but I'm clearing out the room to be painted. There is also a small bar cabinet. All the furniture is dark wood. The room is very small, maybe 12x14. A new 8x10 rug is coming in, too. My windows have been naked for a long time but since we're painting and have a new rug (dogs had allergic reaction to a rug I bought about a year ago! if anyone remembers that saga), I might as well entertain the idea of window treatments, and I am happy for the opportunity to bring in some other colors/texture.

Currently the windows have the blinds in between the panes of glass in the bottom half of the windows. I hate them. I am going to try to convince DH that we should rip out the blinds, if we can figure out how to do it without creating a bigger problem. But they are convenient for privacy, which we don't always need but our house is close to the neighbors and this room looks into their den.

Anyway, to get to the point -- I have 5 windows in this small room. I was going to have roman blinds made in a patterned fabric, but I am starting to wonder if it's going to be very busy with those 5 shades. (If I keep the blinds in the windows, the shades will almost never be closed, so they'd be covering maybe 1/3 of the window or less depending on how much fabric I want to show.)

Another option is to install woven wood shades, which I have elsewhere on the first floor, and then having two long valances made for the two banks of windows. SImpler...but valances are not my favorite type of treatment.

Elsewhere on this floor, I have ONLY woven wood shades in the kitchen/great room (no curtains), and fabric roman shades in the living room. We also have a sunroom/den with no treatments.

WWYD?

Comments (36)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just to be clear, if I went with a valance, it would be one valance over each bank of windows, kind of like this (but not this particular style of valance).

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Those are beautiful windows. I wouldn't cover them up with a valance.

I'd put either plantation shutters in or cordless white wood-slat blinds, and perhaps panel drapes in a cream at each end of the window banks.

• Mmmbeeer
    9 years ago

I agree--very beautiful windows! I'd leave them bare or flank with panels which will make them look even larger without covering them at all.

Not a fan of valances--they have such a dated look to me. I prefer people notice the architectural parts of my home when they have this kind of appeal as opposed to highlighting the curtains or drapery. That being said, however, I prefer mainly a clean, contemporary edge even when the decor is traditional or rustic. I do seem to be in the minority here, when I see the pictures that are posted in this forum.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Can't do drapes because what you can't see to the left of the windows on the left wall is the bar cabinet, which comes right to the edge of the window, so there is no stacking space for a drape.

I do need some degree of privacy, though, so if I get rid of the cheesy blinds inside the windows, I'll need Something.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

It seems to me that you already looked at this issue once before, and concluded that you only wanted to the ability to cover the lower half of the window. I agree with that conclusion; the windows and moldings are very pretty, and there is too little wall space above or flanking them to keep all of the fabric off the glass, iykwim.

So then, the question is, do you want to use something other than the integrated (?) blinds for privacy on the lower half of the window? Maybe cafe curtains if not shutters?

• marcolo
    9 years ago

I have the same windows! Panels on the side are clearly the right treatment. I wouldn't let a piece of furniture stop me.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Cafe curtains...I have thought about them during my periods of angst over these windows. They would at least cover up the leftover knobby things in the bottom of the windows if I removed the blinds. Maybe in a semi sheer ivory with an interesting pattern/texture.

The piece of furniture isn't going anywhere so I need to work with existing conditions.

• allen456
    9 years ago

Are you certain those blinds are even capable of being removed?

I have small rooms with lots of windows, plantation shutters do a fine job.

• amykath
    9 years ago

I love the room. I am usually a curtain fan, but I wouldn't do that or valances. I would keep it simple. Can you use a roller shade or roman shades mounted inside the window?

I adore your room! What color are you painting it and what does the rug look like? I would do something super simple for the window coverings. Definitely not valances. JMHO.

I am not sure you can pop those blinds out. I used to have patio doors that had those blinds inside the two panes. I am not sure how I would have been able to get them out.

Keep us posted.

• amykath
    9 years ago

Here is a mockup of two of the windows with the inner shades removed and some roman blinds mounted inside the window. Hope it helps!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

I'm assuming that the blinds in the window open so they almost disappear if you want, yes? And shut for privacy if you want... That's a great solution easy and because it's just the bottom half, provides the privacy where you need it but allow light when you want it...that leaves you free to add a window treatment that is purely decorative if you wish.

If you add window treatments it will help soften and distract from the blinds in the windows.

You can also choose to use the same fabric in different treatments, such as roman blinds on the windows where you can't hang panels and matching panels on the other window. No one says they have to be the same style.

[Traditional Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2107) by San Diego Interior Designers & Decorators Robeson Design

However, it's hard to make a recommendation without understanding your color palette with the paint and rug which will set the mood for the room. Libraries can be dark and cozy with lots of rich colors and lots of fabric, or they can be bright and open with lots of light. They can be more fussy victorian style or they can be more masculine and tailored, or any number of other looks and moods. With all those windows, you could even go for more of a sun room effect. It is the mood you are going for that will help determine what window treatment options would be best for your space.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

atkillery, yes, my first inclination was to do roman shades mounted inside, but then I started questioning myself. It made sense to me because that is what we have in the living room, which is opposite this room, and it gives me the opportunity to use a nice fabric without being too fussy. I have a feeling that is what I'm going to do because most of the other options don't work! I just realized if I do cafe curtains, I need to mount them inside because of the bar cabinet issue -- there is no room on one side of the left windows to even mount a rod.

This is the rug.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wall color will be Stonybrook, shown in this pic.

So yes, Annie, the mood will be cozy and warm and dark. I am always drawn to dark-ish, rather masculine rooms.

So, assuming roman shades, I think what I will want to do is lean toward a lighter color fabric for less contrast with the windows. I think what was throwing me was that I was looking at darker fabrics and envisioning the busyness of 5 dark rectangles interspersed with the windows. KWIM?

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

While we're at it, these are my top 3 fabrics. I am thinking about the middle one for the shades -- may be hard to tell here, but it's got brown, blue, and green (adjacent kitchen is green, and there is green in the rug) -- and maybe recovering the chair seats with the funky dark one. I am going to wait until the rug is rolled out before I decide on the chair seats, though. I just had those seats recovered last year...and the covers on them would be FINE, but...I do love that fabric. The stripe isn't really a contender any more. I don't really love stripes but the colors are pretty much spot on.

• joaniepoanie
    9 years ago

I like the half-window only look you have now. Can you do a half Roman shade (is there such a thing?) in a subtle pattern or tone on tone to match the wall color so it won't feel closed in and just blend in but will add some texture. Cafe curtains would also work but are a little more fussy. I like plain old style shutters too or Plantations....just not sure how Plantations would look on those very narrow windows, but traditional shutters would look OK I think.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry, just realized I've been ignoring the shutter suggestions. Really, the main purpose for considering any window treatments is to bring in some more color and/or texture/softness to the room. In my mind, a shutter is not much better than what I have now. And in general, I am not a huge fan of shutters, at least for this house. (Or, if I used shutters, I'd want to have them in more than one room for consistency. Part of the reason why roman shades make sense to me is because I have them in the living room, and both of these rooms face the street so it would be consistent, even though normally I don't worry too much about that sort of thing!)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Better pic of that middle fabric.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

akt's mock up clearly suggests to me that if you want warm dark and cozy, you are going to need more fabric than that. I think you can do a large valance across the top of each window bank and then do panels on the sides of the triple window. I'd like to see panels on the sides of the double window too, but you keep mentioning this bar thing. Is it movable? Can it be pulled out away from the wall so a panel can hang behind it?

Or perhaps you might think about a valance with sheers...the sheers will allow light, add privacy and softness, and can be pushed back like side drapery panels if you want expose more window, but need not hang beyond the window like you would with a regular fabric drape.

[Contemporary Living Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-living-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_718~s_2103) by Breinigsville Interior Designers & Decorators Shoshana Gosselin

[Eclectic Dining Room[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-dining-room-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_722~s_2104) by Wichita Interior Designers & Decorators Megan McGraw Interior Design

And the sheers need not be white...they come in all kinds of different colors and textures....

• graywings123
    9 years ago

Could you move the bar cabinet so that you have some stacking space for drapery panels? How important is it to the functions that go on in that room?

• amykath
    9 years ago

I think with the wall color it will be dark and cozy without having to use curtains. Love that color and the rug!!! It's going to be gorgeous!!!

ps where did you find the rug?

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    9 years ago

I'd simply do plantation shutters.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Sue, I'd do it the opposite! Use that GORGEOUS "funky" fabric for the Roman shades. It'll be so beautiful contrasting with the white trim which then contrasts with your Stonybrook walls!

that is a beautiful fabric. I'm with you on the more "handsome" room style, deeper, richer colors, etc. (look at the pic of Ralph Lauren's DR in the top thread about the rug. Notice the black walls! Or chocolate brown, whatever they are. Gorgeous). Darker colors, when used right, are beyond gorgeous. They're horrible, of course, when used incorrectly!

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

I would do the plantation shutters (first preference). Second preference is for roman shades in the fabric you've shown, inside mount. No valance above the windows. That would burden the room too much with fabric. Love the dark fabric too and it might be a nice choice for the chairs, but I think I'd start with the paint, rug, and WTs first and then decide on the chairs. Also would save enough of the WT fabric for some pillows for that gorgeous leather sofa. Love your rug too!

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

I am a fan of the warmth, color and sound abatement curtains bring to a room. Panels on the sides would add a lot to the room without covering any of the architectural detail. IMHO

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am sure everyone means well with the suggestions, and I know we open ourselves up to all kinds of ideas when we come here, but you all have to trust me when I say drapes are not an option here.

If I did sheers, they would have to be sill-length because of the radiator, and I really don't care for that look either. I know I'm being stubborn about certain things!

The good news is, my handy sewing friend was just here to measure the windows, and she and I quickly figured out how to remove the blinds.

Finally, and it's funny how my mind processes things over time...I am realizing that the primary "privacy" issue is on the side facing the neighbors, and because they are uphill from us, the best option is a treatment that covers the top 1/4-1/3 of the windows, so again, a roman shade is probably what fits best functionally. Nonfussy and functional are what I look for!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Oops. Sorry, atkillery, the rug is a Nourison Nourmak rug. I have two others in the living room and family room -- they are low maintenance and great for pets because they wear like iron and clean up so easily. I think I got this one from Rug Studio online? You'd think I'd remember, it was only a few weeks ago.

• tuesday_2008
    9 years ago

Forget the window treatments :) - you always do well with fabrics - I just want to know About.The.Rug - manufacturer, source, etc. You do well with rugs also :).

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

".I am realizing that the primary "privacy" issue is on the side facing the neighbors, and because they are uphill from us, the best option is a treatment that covers the top 1/4-1/3 of the windows, so again, a roman shade is probably what fits best functionally. Nonfussy and functional are what I look for!"

That's perfect. Trying to cover the bottom and the bottom only is so much more limiting.

• outsideplaying_gw
    9 years ago

Yay! Love to hear about progress being made. I can totally see why you would not want curtains hanging down on these windows.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

tuesday, I think I posted the rug info at the same time you were posting, but here is more specific info. Fortunately, I ordered my rug when they were having a sale plus an additional discount for Labor Day or something.

Here is a link that might be useful: my rug, but they have other Nourison Nourmaks too

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Went to fabric store...one more option. Hard to tell but it's the same as the wall color.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I brought this home too and it looks so great with the rug, but feels too dark in the room. DH also happens to be home today and his immediate reaction was that he really liked the blue print above the best, and that this one (below) was too dark.

Whatever I choose for the windows, I will end up with a few other options for covering the chair seats!

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FInal decision made and fabric ordered. Roman shades in the fabric pictured on Oct. 15 at 8:12. (Lightest fabric.) Chair seats recovered in the funky dark blue fabric with the pattern that looks like ovals.

So I now have these things in process with the seamstress:
    - kitchen window seat cushion cover.
    - 3 new pillows for window seat.
    - dining room window treatments
    - dining room chairs recovered
    - pillow for loveseat in dining room chair fabric.

Oh, and also having our front yard re-landscaped and two rooms painted. All pretty much at the same time. Isn't that always how it happens?

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I'm late to the discussion, but I like your choice(s). I have 3 walls of windows in our sunroom and I love roman shades in there. And we don't even need them for privacy - but we do need a bit of relief from the sun. My shades are almost always pulled down 1/3 of the way at the most. However my windows are taller than yours. Our romans are solid as are the slipcovers in that room. I have a pillow obsession (and maybe a throw/blanket obsession) and love to swap out. ANYWAY, the rug is beautiful as is the paint color. I think the light fabric is a good choice and will keep the room from being too dark. I may be biased on that thought, because I favor more airy, light rooms. Glad you didn't go with valances!

No, not the way it goes at our house cuz it'd drive me over the edge. I'm kind of a get one project out of the way before starting another one type of gal. LOL And we DIY alot of things, and I couldn't handle more than 1 at a time.

I bet you could recover the chairs yourself.

• arbpdl
    9 years ago

I have a 9 X 22 room with 6 windows and a sliding glass door - it's a LOT of glass and almost no wall. I have struggled with window treatments as well. I've tried blinds, sheers, valances, room darkening drapes, ect, hated all of it. Currently they are naked and to be honest, I actually like them! I will add something light over the bottom half when I get to this room (I'm forcing myself to do "one room at a time" and I'm still in another room) but it won't be more than the bottom half and it won't be heavy.

You've lived with nothing other than the blinds for awhile now, how do you feel about covering them? And how much do you feel comfortable covering? I think this is a "less is more" room, JMO

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    9 years ago

beth, I have one of those rooms too, a sunroom on the opposite side of the house from the dining room. Eight windows! I have never had window treatments in that room except for the blinds inside the window panes (for whatever reason, only two rooms in our house have them). I do appreciate the blinds because the sunroom is my office and I often have to control the light so I can see the computer screen.

I am feeling good about my dining room decision. I have felt for a while that the room needed some degree of softness at the windows, and I think this is just enough.