Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
charlie58_gw

I need so much help with my 1916 craftsman bedroom!

Charlie58
9 years ago

I have more pics but can only do one at a time?

I am redoing our 'master' bedroom. Only think I am keeping is the carpet, it's in good shape and I still like the color.

I am getting new bed:
http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/bedroom/beds/parsons-beds in Tall King with underbed drawers http://www.roomandboard.com/catalog/accessories/organization/storage-drawer

New nightstands
picture in a second!

New Light fixtures
http://www.rejuvenation.com/catalog/products/jefferson-6in/configurations/antique-copper-w-12in-opal-drum-shade and matching wall sconce in between door and closet door

Anyway I will start with this picture of the big window.

This window looks out on busy/noisy street so I am thinking of switching to drapes. I have never done drapes and it's very overwhelming. I am thinking traverse rod and 2 layers. Top layer heavy noise/light blocking and bottom layer light filtering layer.

And I need help with paint color. I am thinking of going DARK. DARK with white trim. There is a lot of trim in this room, the big window, the other window and closet door and entry door. It's not a big room at all.

I will be posting more pics....

Any help would be so appreciated. My husband is useless for this stuff and my friends that are into this stuff don't get why it's so hard, or that is how I feel anyway. I guess it just comes naturally to them?

So I am begging you guys to look at this and I have so so many questions.

But in summary:

What color/type drapes?
What color for wall?
-should I paint the ceiling trim to match other trim? It's 100 year old trim that's narrow and been painted to death. I worry that it will look really weird with the very wide trim everywhere else, including the wide baseboards.

thanks in advance....

Comments (26)

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

closer shot of big window

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

entry door, closet door.
    Wall sconce to be installed and this space isn't big enough for dresser so I was thinking of a chair/bench?

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

carpet. a bit darker in person. Grey brown.

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nightstands. This mixed with very modern metal bed is the eclectic vibe I like. don't like too matchy matchy. These nightstands are tiny for our tiny room that we are cramming a king bed into.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

how wide is that space you think is too narrow for a dresser? are you actually going to use a chair/bench there? What is the size of the room itself? What size is your bed?

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

That is it for the pictures for now.

Also I need lamps for these stands and that is a big ? too.

any questions, please ask. Again thank you in advance for looking at all of this!

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

hi hoovb!

King bed.

36" between trim on entry and closet door.

room size: 14' 6" x 10' 10"
    big window on short wall
    closet and entry door on other short wall
    other window, king bed and nightstands along long wall
    nothing on last long wall

I hadn't planned on anything else being in this room, after bed goes in, etc I was going to see how it looked and see if I could get a bench/chair on that useless wall between entry/closet doors.

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and yes, I could see using the chair/bench in there. Good place to lay a sweater that I am too lazy to put away, good place to sit and put shoes on. I know it would have to be a TINY bench or chair. What else could go there?

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

going deeper in color is a great idea for bedrooms, although dark, IMO, doesn't do well on large wall areas. I think finding a color in the LRV range of 40 - 60 is perfect for bedrooms. But, I'm about to break my own rule here and suggest you look at BM Weimaraner (LRV @ 30). it is a beautiful color and perfect for a craftsman home, IMO. With a very creamy trim color, it's gorgeous. I'd 86 the Levelor blinds you've got there. Dated. I'd hang drape panels on each end, from just below the ceiling to the floor, and for privacy, shutters would look great in that room, for the lower windows, although they're expensive. Paint the ceiling in a very light taupe.

BM Weimaraner with cream trim

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

How about a mirror on that wall, and a small bench in front of it?

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Tibbrix. Oh yes, the window treatments are going. I am sorry that wasn't more clear. Everything but the carpet is going.

I love the idea of shutters too-but I am really trying to switch to drapes I think. The noise/temp insulation is really going to help in there. I will look into those custom shutters, painted to match the trim would be great. And shutters on the other window too, just on the lower part? I love shutters.....

That BM color is fantastic.

Would matching the drapes to trim be bad?

• bpath
    9 years ago

Between the doors, perhaps a small console table with a drawer or two, a little lamp, and a mirror above? Handy spot to charge the phones, drop a watch or wallet or the bracelet you wear every day.

Do you have the bed in front of the window now? Mine is, and I like it. It would be easier to move around your room that way.

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I looked up the BM color and it's close to what I painted the other bedroom on main floor: BM himalayan trek #1542. I will have to check out the swatches in person to see, but seems too close to what I've already done down the hall?

But yes, that is a great grey and would look fantastic with a natural white trim (like I did in other room.....)

looking online it looks like the weimer color a good deal darker than himalayan trek---so that might be a winner.....

but I'd love to hear any other color recs. I am really into yellow lately and almost got that bed in yellow.....

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Well, I literally just finished painting my living room in BM Lenox Tan, and I can't tell you how much I am LOVING this color! It is warm and cozy, and it changes by the minute throughout the day, but is ALWAYS nice. It practically glows. No green or red undertones. It's a neutral with pizzazz. Can't recommend it highly enough.

If you paint the walls Lenox Tan, paint the ceiling a nice warm brown.

In your case, you'll want both drapes and something on the lower windows for privacy, right? I think you'd want the option of darkening the room by pulling the drapes across all of the windows, or having light come in from the upper window while having privacy from the bottom windows. So I'd do both the panel drapes and the shutters. I'd get drapes in a nice pattern, I think.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

If your photos are on a host site like photobucket you can put as many photos as you want into your post. Just copy and paste the link of each photo.

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

bpathome: Genius idea for that useless wall. Tiny table/cabinet/whatever for charging phones and a place to keep wallets, etc. THAT is what I will do. I've got an outlet on that wall too....

I wouldn't mind putting the bed on the big window wall but the headboard height blocks too much of the window. The bed height is 47" and I don't think it would look good as the width of the bed is pretty much the width of the window? I wanted to put the bed there until I measured the height of the bed and I don't know?

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am again looking at the big window wall to put the bed. The width of the bed would be almost exactly the same as width of the bed and the height would go up 2/3 the lower windows.

I also would have to keep the bed pulled a bit from the wall so I could open and close drapes.

the big benefit to this design is I could put a bench at the foot of the bed which would be wonderful.

Thoughts on the height of the headboard against the window would be really appreciated!

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

there is no elec outlet on that big window wall-I think that alone will prevent the bed from going there....

• juliekcmo
    9 years ago

Call the electrician and get an estimate. It is so nice having the bed in front of the windows, especially in mild weather when the windows are open.

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

HI Juliekcmo,

I have electrician coming in a couple of weeks. I will ask about putting outlet there but that window faces a busy street and only the center bottom window opens (by design). So it's really not as nice as it appears to be. The whole upper window is a transom window and I doubt it's opened in 50 years and it's a very poor design as it's way too huge to be a transom window.

I love the idea of the bed on this wall and it really would open up the room but I think there are too many things against it.

knowing all of that, would you still try to get the bed in front of the window?

thank you!!!!

• bpath
    9 years ago

I would. If there are outlets on the long walls, are they so far away that you can't use an extension cord, with those little channels that you can run along the top of the baseboard, painted to match?

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The outlets on long walls are mid way on the wall, so quite a long way. I will see if it can be added to the list-we have a budget and maybe I can squeeze it in.

But what about the headboard coming up so far on that window? Quite a bit of of the window will get blocked, that seems bad? The top of the headboard hits at 2/3 of the top of the bottom row of windows. This big window is the nicest feature of the room and it seems wrong to cover so much of it up.

• Elraes Miller
    9 years ago

An antique coat rack with bench between doors? There are some small ones to work with your sweater, chargers, etc.

My bedroom is a bit larger, not much though. I love the huge windows and have never really had any coverings on them. Bed is a queen and the best solution has been cornered. Keep trying another way, but this has given me the most room for other pieces of storage. The corner behind bed has a corner end table. I know may here do not like cornered beds, but sometimes it works.

• justretired
    9 years ago

Hi Charlie

As long as you mentioned your ceiling trim I will ask this. Have you thought about removing the narrow trim currently in place and replacing with a beefier crown? You can purchase pre-primed MDF very reasonably and I think it would look wonderful with the wide trim you have around your windows and base. Then paint all the trim the same color.

You are going to have a lovely room when you are done. Also, I would put the bed in front of the window if you can. Moving a king bed is no picnic but it would be worth a try to see if you like it.

Good luck with your project!

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I am always a fan of more storage in the bedroom. I would opt for some sort of chest or dresser. Here are some ideas. (You mentioned eclectic..)

• Charlie58
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love those dressers, thanks! I think we are good on clothes storage-I've redone our closet and our bed will have underbed drawers. All of our clothes are currently in this redone closet only-and we still have room.

For all those suggesting putting bed in front of window:
    How do you all open your windows if the bed is in front of it?

And for shutters:
    How do you open shutters if your bed is in front?

What am I missing?

I would love to put bed there and have electrician put outlet there but the whole access to the window thing seems wrong.

thanks again everyone-bouncing ideas around helps.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia