Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bestyears_gw

Window Treatment for Front Door

bestyears
9 years ago

We have a pretty typical front entry door (around here anyway), which I'm finally getting around to addressing with window treatments. It is a solid wood, paneled door with a leaded window in the upper half, and two sidelights, 11" wide x 72" long, one on each side of the door. I'm thinking of putting 2-inch wide faux wood blinds on the sidelights, which will match the window treatments in the rest of the house. But I'm not sure what to do about the large window in the door. Honestly, if it were up to me, I'd probably just leave it unadorned, but my husband feels like people walking by can see in, and it bugs him, particularly at night. Since the door is about to be painted black, I can't see putting one of those enclosed blinds units on it -just seems like it would stick out like a sore thumb. So I'm considering a roman shade, which would be up most of the time, but lowered at night.

I'd rather not do one of the 'film' things because I like the light let in during the day.

Do you have something similar that works for you? Can you share please?

This post was edited by bestyears on Mon, Oct 6, 14 at 17:36

Comments (7)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

The films will allow the light and yet provide privacy. Somehow, from the description of the door, I can't see putting a shade or blind on it as it would ruin the look and it will flop when you open or close the door...

• Boopadaboo
    9 years ago

Do you have drapes elsewhere? Sorry I can't remember. I have an all glass front door with sidelights. I put up drapes and close the ai night or if I want privacy.

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

boop - my neighbor has the same set-up and I love that look. I've been thinking for years of doing the same thing as we have a large transom and 2 side windows at our front door. Prior to our remodel, we had very narrow metal mini blinds (hated them!). Now we have nothing... maybe I need to bite the bullet and get/make those drapes!

OP - if you have the space on either side of the side windows, it is a very nice look. Adds softness at the front door when pushed to the sides and yet offers complete privacy at night.

• bestyears
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I hadn't even thought of drapes, and yes we have drapes (and wood blinds) in all the other windows visible from the area. Does anyone have a photo of what this would look like by chance?

• ck_squared
    9 years ago

Just google "draperies on front door" and you'll find lots of photos. That's what I did a bit ago because I was curious to see more doors other than my neighbors.

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I agree with Annie. I have film on a bathroom window lower sash, and in the door from my entry porch into the pantry. They allow light to come in, yet any view of the inside is quite obscured.

When I picture an 11" x 72" 2" wood blind, it seems too long and narrow to look well, although I could be totally wrong. The film just looks like frosted glass.

I bought mine years ago from Graham and Brown, but they sell it at big box stores. I show an example below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Brewster Home Fashions Sand Door Privacy Window Film

• Jamie
    9 years ago

I have sidelights but my door is solid.
    I don't feel exposed at the front door area unless the overhead light is on.
    I prefer the shadows and coziness of lamp light bouncing off a table surface and the floor, as opposed to flooding the ceiling and bouncing around up there.

The stairs are right at the front entry, and when the upper hall light is on, and all that blank wall is visible from the outside it looks bad.

I feel exposed in any room when an overhead light is on at night. With a light source that does not illuminate the ceiling and upper corners of the room, I don't feel like we have stage-lit our interior.

I suggest you have your husband conduct a test. Cover the sidelights, and then have him go outside at night. I bet that the leaded glass will obscure enough for him once the clear glass is covered.