Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
both_gw

Please tell me how to view blogs.

both
13 years ago

I am always googling things on the internet about home decor from upholstery to trim color to kitchen cabinets. Often I open a blog. I realy love looking through the pictures people post. Is there a place where you can view all the blogs without having your own blog? I do not want to start a blog just look at what others have done. I guess any and all information about blogs would be wonderful. Thanks Amy

Comments (13)

• caminnc
    13 years ago

I love blogs too. I wish I could write better because I would have one. I'm just not very good at it. I go from one blog to another as they generally have a list of their own favorite blogers. Once you find blogs you enjoy you can add to your favorites list and check in every now and then. Isn't it great we have so much information at our fingertips? "fingertips" would that be one word or two, or is it hyphenated? I don't care but too many people do and that's why I don't have a blog.

• sallymo2015
    13 years ago

If you search under google for some specific blogs: type in your search words, then look up at the top of the page. There is the word "more". Pull that list down and find "blog" and you will only pull up blogs pertaining to the words you typed in the search.

I read them often, and find them interesting because they are so "up to the minute". I agree with caminnc that once you find one interesting blog, just search through their list for others that are of similar interest (and watch an hour fly by). I keep a blog for my shop so customers can keep updated on our newest finds and projects.

• makeithome
    13 years ago

I follow almost 30 decor-related blogs at the moment. I keep them all in my Google feed reader. All you have to do is sign up for a Google account. In the reader, you can search for blogs and basically "subscribe" to them. Every time they post a new entry, it pops up in your feed reader. In a day, I'll usually have 30-45 blog posts sitting in my reader, waiting to be read. That way, you don't have to visit each site every single day to keep up to date.

If you want, I can give you a list of some of my favorites.

• htnspz
    13 years ago

I just bookmark them in a separate folder and read them one by one once a week. I'll check out the google feed reader though!

• Jeannine
    13 years ago

A reader is really the easiest way to track blogs to you.

Google Reader: http://www.google.com/reader

It works just like an "in box" but just for blog entries. Once you add a blog's address to your reader, you won't have to visit that blog's website each day to see what's new. The entire post will appear in your reader, just like your email in box.

• jaybird
    13 years ago

Makeithome, I would love to know some of the blogs you visit. I really enjoy the home dec blogs!
    Sallymo, I check yours out pretty regularly...you are great!
    Thank you Both for starting this thread!
    J

• both
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I would also love a list of blogs that you enjoy!! Also can I have addresses of blogs that are by garden web decorating forum members. That would be fun!! Thanks for all the advice. Amy

• susanwrites
    13 years ago

Another tip on Google Reader, once you are in reader, on the bottom left side of your screen there is the option to "manage subscriptions"

When you click on that you can make folders to sort blogs if, like me, you have way too many to ever read at once. Example, I'm a writer so I have folders for poets, children's authors, general writing and process. Then I have a folder for decoration and one for tech. This helps me not have to wade through hundreds of blog posts when I only want to look at the latest in a certain category.

You can also "tag" a post after you read it with certain keywords. So you can tag a post "French Country" or "green walls" or whatever to link various posts together.

• makeithome
    13 years ago

Now, mind you, not all of these are purely decor related. Most of them do sprinkle in other topics, but most of their posts are about decor and/or interior design. Some of them talk about it from a designer stand point, and some of them are actual homeowners fixing up their own homes.

Remodelaholic
    Bower Power
    Young House Love
    Centsational Girl
    Maillardville Manor
    Heather Bullard
    Going Home to Roost
    French Larkspur
    DIY Diva
    Making It Lovely
    Southern Hospitality Blog
    The Lettered Cottage
    Thrifty Decor Chick
    Thrifty Little Blog
    Design Sponge
    Elements of Style Blog

Happy reading! :)

• jaybird
    13 years ago

WOW thank you so much for the list!!

• addyson_andrews
    13 years ago

Here's a few I love, some are the same as 'makeithome', but I've included the links:

CENTSATIONAL GIRL

SOUTHERN HOSPITALITY

COTE DE TEXAS

NESTING PLACE

HOUSE OF TURQUOISE

THRIFTY DECOR CHICK

ETIQUETTE EN VOGUE - Not necessarily a decor blog, but lots of great info.

DECOR8

EDDIE ROSS

BETWEEN NAPS ON THE PORCH

THE INSPIRED ROOM

320 SYCAMORE

DESIGN*SPONGE

HOOKED ON HOUSES

VELVET AND LINEN

• maymo
    13 years ago

Here is my blog on wordpress.com. It's a teacher/humor blog. You can go to wordpress and read a whole bunch of blogs there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Read it to the Class!