Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kellic_gw

Bright paint in small rooms.

KelliC
10 years ago

Hey guys,

What do you think of super bright paint in a small room, 10' x 10'? This room has a patio door, 4 windows, and an archway into the livingroom, so there isn't much to paint. The paint I was thinking about is called "lucious mango" by Glidden. It looks very similar to this:

{{!gwi}}

I have this bookshelf to go in the room along with my dog's kennels.
{{!gwi}}
Once they're able to be trusted their kennels will go in a different room and I was considering a papasan chair or I have 2 cane chairs that need to be reupholstered and painted that can go in there. If I go with this color what color would I paint these chair/reupholster them? And what other colors of items would you add to the room.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (25)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Not sure this will help, but it's a visual anyway. I opened up both photos in Paint and took the color straight from the inspiration.
    Personally I think it could work with the right furnishings. But then I love bright colors.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love bright colors too but everyone around me wanted me to leave my whole house white lol. Hence coming here to second guess all my choices.

I was planning on painting the trim bright white and replacing the vertical blinds with either bright white blinds or sheers. I have to be able to open the door multiple times per day to let my dogs out. I was also toying with the idea of getting rid of the blinds and adding sheers. I have a fenced in backyard so I don't need to worry about people looking in ever.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

That's the way it was when we moved in here. I allowed it upstairs in all rooms but the master bathroom. That was painted a Ralph Lauren candle light in silver. Downstairs was more colorful with a cobalt kitchen and a pretty yellow gold, though not as bright as your a similar tone, in the sunroom. The ladies parlor was coral tone on tone stripes at that time. I'm moving more toward earth tones now, but I really don't want to change the colors in the kitchen and sunroom.
    Even if you don't need the privacy I love blinds for how well they control the light.

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I would add a large area rug because it doesn't look as if the tile goes with that paint color, imo. White or light drapes with texture would look refreshing, maybe even with some bright patterned edge trim. Something like this:

Here is a link that might be useful: bright trim

This post was edited by snookums2 on Wed, Oct 30, 13 at 23:46

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I was planning on getting a rug, but right now that room has my puppies in it. Tile is great when you're potty training :) I love that fabric though. I usually make my own curtains so I could totally add that.

justgotabme - your house sounds lovely :) I have purple in my bedroom, turquoise/grey in my bathroom, and my kitchen will be apple green. I really love color. I like blinds too for that reason, but in my sun room I don't really need them. I work shifts so my bedroom really needs it, but the sunroom blinds are always open anyway right now lol. And now the dogs keep trying to pull on the cords.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thank you Kelli. I have plans for more color upstairs, but too many other things have kept me from getting to them.

Waiting on a rug until the puppies are older is a good idea. Even then I highly recommend an indoor outdoor rug made from polypropylene. They are super easy to keep clean when you have pets.

• Dawdling
    10 years ago

What a great colour, KelliC! I vote "yes".
    As for the cane chairs, I'd go with red. Or emerald green. Oh my, I'd go really crazy with colours :)

Here is a link that might be useful: RedCaneChair

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Sorry, I missed the part about the cane chairs. I think it would depend on other fabric you had in the room in what color you painted them. Red could be fun though.

• iheartgiantschnauzer
    10 years ago

Kelli- ahh the joys of puppy training. Perfect room for that need! Post puppyhood, I think a similar goldenrod color could look great if taken into a British colonial or west indies vibe. Exchange out the builder grade ceiling fan for a light or fan with more style. Think dark stained rattan or caned furniture with bold patterned upholstered cushions. Dark bamboo shades to replace the institutional white blinds layered white curtains on a dark chunky curtain rod to add airiness. A vibrant but solid or maybe subtle textured area rug to ground the room and cover the mismatched tiles. Oh and dark wood molding along the floor rather than the white trim.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I have no problem with the bright color, but I need to have an inspiration piece before I start picking colors, esp as it's easiest to match paint to something else rather than the other way around. I probably would start with the fabric for the future chairs and then go from there.

The mango looks very "ethnic" to me...like I could see it in a Mexican restaurant or a Turkish place or Buddhist robes and such.

• PRO
    BeverlyFLADeziner
    10 years ago

There is nothing wrong with a bright color, but since it is viewed through the lens of your living room, I think the two rooms have to relate in some fashion.

Sounds like you want a separate, special place to kick back. With your bookcase, I'd recommend changing the window covering to these wood blinds from IKEA. Then use their red drapes for just the sliding door to add a punch of color. I'm assuming your'e not 70,.........so no shears on the windows.

Then I'd add a comfortable Poang chair or 2 in red with dark stain to match the blinds. This graphic rug from IKEA to add punch to the room & a lamp or two so you can do some reading. Not sure you'll need to paint the wall with all the color that's been added.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I didn't realize this room opened fully into your living room. Maybe just the one wall with the sliders would work better for painting. I love iheartgiantschnauzer's ideas of where to take the room, but might better go with your living room. I'd still use your rattan chairs upholstered in a rich red and gold print.
    I'm thinking this Any Butler fabric (Lark Glamour Kasbah Persimmon Red) from Fabric.com would work with what I see in the living room.

With either of these rugs from Overstock.com
    Left rug: Item #: 12668338 (9x12' in polypropylene) Right rug: Item #: 11942889 (7'10"x11' in Synthetic Fiber) Both are indoor outdoor making them easy care with pets.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haha Beverly. I usually like doing darker curtains with sheers in the middle. No I'm not 70, but I do like to have a bit of privacy while still letting the light in. I do like those curtains though and the blinds.. and I like the rug on the left of justgotabeme's post. I'm not sure about that fabric though... I'm worried I'm not experienced enough with reupholstering to do a pattern like that.

I do have to have a rug that can be easily cleaned with the dogs. My entry rug is indoor/outdoor and I love how easy it is to clean. Because of the girls my walls are dirty and have some claw marks. Mastiffs don't know their strength. I need to paint it some color. I'm just not sure what. I want it to have an exotic feel, not like the cozy of my living room.

These are the chairs. They're in my garage right now so excuse the mess. Someone was going to throw them out so I rescued them from next to the dumpster at my old apartment. They have very small holes in the cane and need new cushions, but they're otherwise beautiful.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Oh I love the chairs. I bet you'd be surprised how easy it is to recover chairs like this. Have you ever made a boxed cushion before? There are plenty tutorials online. They are much easier than you'd think.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've done pillows, couch slipcovers, curtains as well as clothes and purses... The only time I've done actual patterned fabrics is with some plaids. I'm scared to get the fabric and mess up lol. I'll just have to try it with a cheap fabric first.

• yayagal
    10 years ago

Here's a similar paint color but not quite as strong.

Here is a link that might be useful: BM paint

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

So I bought a small sample and painted a swatch on my wall. Wrong color all together. Yikes.

I decided to look at rugs first and base my colors around them. Most are orange some aren't. They're all indoor/outdoor.

{{!gwi}}

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I like the 3rd on the top row.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

I like the bottom right, but since it appears the red in your LR is more blue red than yellow red the top right might be a better choice.
    With that one on the bottom right you could have so much fun!

• Vertise
    10 years ago

I like #4 as it blends with your family room. Basically because it's red. I see you have bird pillows, so a trellis pattern might make sense if you like nature. You could continue a natural theme in the sun room.

I also like #7. The colors and circles blend with the FR and less matchy. I like its off beat or ethnic vibe. Connects on color.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Yes, that's a great idea Kelli. Get some inexpensive muslin or broad cloth. Whether it fits or not will help you make a better pattern for the expensive fabric. I know some use a drop clothe, but I don't recommend it because of the loose weave. It's unstable as a pattern.
    I like many of your rugs. My favorite being the bottom right. It's has that ethnic feel you want.
    I have four in various colors of the bottom center rug. It's by Safavieh and I'm very happy with the quality and easy care that I mentioned before. This is photo of our latest in the Gentleman's Parlor right after I unrolled it. The wrinkles from being folded come out very quickly and really there isn't that many to begin with.
    We have four cats that puke almost as often as they purr and I was tired of trying to keep our traditional area rugs clean.
    I found out in less than a week after we got this rug that even red wine won't stain them as my dearest knocked over his glass of wine. No he wasn't drunk. (grin) I'd changed the table beside where he sits and he reached for it the way he always did and oops! I grabbed a plastic drop clothe I'd used when our grandson was painting and put it under the rug to protect the wood floors from water we then poured on it which immediately washed away the stain. Hubby ran and got the little shop vac and we sucked up the excess liquid. Raised the rug and let it dry. Had it been one of the smaller rugs we'd have taken it outside to hose off. I will never buy another type of rug for the rooms of our home where the cats are allowed in as long as we have cats.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm trying to decide between the 6th and 7th rug. It's nice to know the 6th one is such easy cleanup. I have one by my front door that's similar. My dog decided to pee on it a few months ago and it cleaned up within a few minutes.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

They have the 6th one, like mine, in reverse colors too. That might help you decide since the one it's going against is overall that color. Though I do love that seventh rug.

• KelliC
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I think I'm going to go with the one you just posted actually. I could move my bird pillows into the sunroom and make it more of a nature feel since it connects to the outside. I do love the ethnic feel of the last one but I think the rug you just posted will flow into the rest of my house better. I could always paint the room a nice cream in a washable paint so it's not too overwhelming with such a bold rug. With the girls I just need to paint the wall something. They've torn up this flat paint that the bank left in my house.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

I think you'll be happy with it Kelli. I debated on buying this color instead of the green for our Gentleman's Parlor, but my hubby had final say since it's his room. He got final say in the Library too. I get the rest the house. I figured that was fair.

I think a creamy color would look very pretty with this rug too.

This post was edited by justgotabme on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 1:37

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH