Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
livingreen2013

Exterior color- too bold?

livingreen2013
11 years ago

So, it's about time for us to think about ordering our stone and shingles, and it's gotten us re-thinking our original exterior color scheme of a lighter blue/green/gray. Just as of lately we've began thinking about taking it 180 degrees and going with more of a charcoal/white trim/contrasting stone look. Any thoughts or opinions? Our windows need to be white, so the any siding color (board and batten and shake shingle siding) needs to go with white. Would this darker siding color look good with a dark-stained wood front door too? Are there any heating/cooling/wear/tear factors to think of with going such a darker color?

On a side note, does anyone have any idea what type of stone this is, or have seen something similar with such bold contrast? Thanks in advance.

Comments (15)

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

I love it! It looks classic and beautiful and goes perfectly with your stone. You could decide on door color once the siding is up. Dark could look wonderful or you may decide you prefer something a little brighter. Either way, it will look amazing.

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Oh, that is breathtaking!!!!

• livingreen2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is a (rough) photo of our exterior design at this point. Do you think the colors would go with the look? What we're worried about slightly is that all of the other houses on our street (not the development, just up and down the street) are some form of tan/brown. We have 3.5 acres with woods that I think this color could really make pop, but I'm worried if it'll look too bold, especially with the white trim up next to the other brownish houses with almond or brown trim...In other thoughts though we feel like it has classic elegance. Any other thoughts?

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    11 years ago

Yours will be the gem of the neighborhood!

• livingreen2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ha! Thanks cyn427! I think it's winning me over slowly but surely. I think it has enough of a classic look and can be warmed up or cooled down- also letting the scenary of the lot show through. Decisions decisions. :) Anyone have any idea where I could get stone this colored? That's the next question.

• daisychain01
    11 years ago

Sorry, I'm no help on the stone front, but I just wanted to say that we changed the colour of our shingled house from light blue grey to a colour very similar to the charcoal you've shown above. It was the best decision we've made. It increased our curb appeal about 100 times. I always have people stopping to ask what our paint colour is or to comment on how beautiful our house is. I never had that happen once in the 10 years it was blue/grey. We used a dark gold for an accent.

• livingreen2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

That sounds gorgeous daisychain01. Thanks for the perspective. Would you mind posting a photo of your house? Would love to know what color you went with too.

• livingreen2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

btw- here is my latest photoshopped image to show what a wood door would look like in the mix, and a possible shingle color...

• angiedfw
    11 years ago

I love the dark stone blend and the charcoal grey trim color. Beautiful! I can't get something out of my mind for your front door---a cerused treatment! There are no examples of it on the internet for a front door; maybe it can't be done?? But I think it would be beautiful on a fine-grained wood.

• angiedfw
    11 years ago

Here is an example of cerused oak. This is from an image of an interior door that I cropped and mocked up as an exterior door. I think you are on the right track with the stained wood in a brown tone, instead of the ebony tones.

• livingreen2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oooh I do love that! Thanks for posting the image! I'll definitely have to look into that finish. What do you think about the shingles? And, would you do wood or wood-looking garage doors, or stick with a white (garage face will be stone as pictured in my drawing). Thanks again for your thoughts!

• angiedfw
    11 years ago

Shingles are good. My husband is in the shingle business and would approve :) I think the same creamy white for the garage doors would be beautiful. Although, if you look on Houzz, the stained wood ones are gorgeous, too! I think you would need to mock up both options to see which you like best.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

Here is a similar one color-wise, but it doesn't have the mortar lines which gives your example some of its charm - do you think your example is real stone? Are you using veneer?

Here is a link that might be useful: Stone

• livingreen2013
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Ohh I just saw this- thank you olychick! That's the closest I've seen to it in terms of the contrast we're looking for. We're unsure which route we're going yet and would be open to veneer or real stone if it was just the right look. I so wish I could remember where I found that photo from! Thank you so much for this post though- that may be the winner!

• Olychick
    11 years ago

You can do a google image search and find out where the photo was posted. Do you know how to do that?

Open a google search to images. click on the little camera in the search bar; choose upload image and select the location on your computer.

It will take you to the image on the internet.

Sponsored
Ramos Timber
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Westerville's Top Craftsman & Exceptional Quality Tile & Stone