Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
osugirl_gw

Help with living room wall decor/

osugirl
10 years ago

I am hoping to get ideas for what to do with my living room wall. The sofa has to stay on that wall. I can change out end tables and lamps. I would be ok with one end table and one floor lamp, but I really do need two lamps.

However, my big challenge is what to do with the wall behind the sofa! The ceiling is vaulted, and there is an air return on the upper right wall.

There was a long shelf on the wall, but I hated it and took it down. Now I have a big naked wall. I've thought about and ruled out mirrors and family photos. Possibly a triptych picture? I just don't know what would work.

Any feedback on wall art/end tables and lamps would be much appreciated!

Please excuse all the toys on the floor, and the poor lighting.

Comments (13)

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

How about 2 large framed prints in poster-size (matching) frames? Wider frames would probably look better and, IMO, wood or black frames rather than thin gold, brass or silver metal frames. Or even 3, as long as they all have a similar theme and feel. Hang them low (approx. 8") above the back of your sofa, and then about the same 8" distance from each other. If you're hanging three, start by hanging the middle pic centered over the exact middle of the sofa and work out from there.

As for your tables and lamps, an end table on each side is always so convenient for those sitting there, but your tables seem to be too high to comfortably work with your sofa. End tables should be low enough that your arm can slide over and easily place a cup/ glass/ book/etc. on the table.

Lamps on end tables should be low enough that their shade blocks the bulb from shining in your eyes when sitting next to it.

As for the toys in the pic, most of us have been there or are there now and totally understand those things (LOL)!
    Lynn

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

I agree about the height of the end tables.
    Depending on how deep the room is, an alternative would be to put a sofa table behind the sofa and put the lamps on it...that would alleviate the crowded look that you have now. It would also allow you to put the lamps closer together to shrink some of the wall space that you have to fill, and the lamps would better light wall art. Between the wall art, lamps and some other objects on the sofa table, it should fill the space nicely. Guests can put their drinks on a coffee table in front.

• lynninnewmexico
    10 years ago

Before we bought our two end tables for the family room, we had a sofa table with a lamp on either end of it, behind the sofa. But, being a family of readers, we soon found that the lights over our shoulders cast shadows onto our books, etc, making relaxed reading very frustrating. I'm sure it can be done somehow, but for us end tables with the right height 3-way reading lamps were much easier on the eyes. Just more things to consider, OSUGirl .

This post was edited by lynninnewmexico on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 16:53

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Just came across this Phoebe Howard pic while looking for something else and thought of your room.
    With little ones I think you'll want to have the artwork higher than is normally acceptable. I base this on watching my 2 1/2 yr old granddaughter stand on her head on the sofa with her feet on the wall last time we were there to see them. It was just a minute, but if there were artwork there it would have crashed.

I like what they've done adding wainscotting to the wall, and using all unmatched sizes of like prints. With little ones I'd probably hang them rather than prop them on the ledge - shoot, with my dh I'd not prop them on the ledge!
    I also think this shows how matching lamps can work well.
    Doing something like this would give some definition to your wall space that looks large and empty.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

The first step is knowing what general size of artwork would look good. Generally speaking, you are looking for a picture or pictures that span 3/4 to 7/8 of the width of the sofa.

So, for an 84 inch wide sofa, you want to cover 63 to 73 inches in width. A triptych would do well there.

In terms of height, you want the bottom to sit pretty low to the sofa back, so they are grounded by the sofa. I put them as low as 6 inches above the back.

A nice upper height might be to match the height of the window frame on the left.

I agree the side tables are too high. I would switch out the lamps for more modern looking ones. I would add a third light source, a torchiere lamp that shoots light onto the ceiling and bounces it around. It will brighten the room.

At some point you might want to consider stationary panels on the windows.

• osugirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the great advice!

Based on the suggestions, I will be shopping for artwork, or at least large frames (could print something) and will experiment with sizes and sets of two or three. I love the inspiration picture, and really like the unmatched pictures.

I ordered new end tables. Will probably wait until they arrive and then look for new lamps. I wish I could put a table behind the couch, but there is not enough room.

Where would I put a torchiere lamp?

We recently bought cordless shades, and took down the valances, and haven't put anything back up, but I will definitely start looking for something soon.
    I am so glad I posted this. I have been lurking, but nervous about posting because there are so many beautiful homes and I know nothing about décor, and am constrained by budget and infant/toddler-friendly choices. Again, I appreciate the advice!

• Holly- Kay
    10 years ago

Marji, I love the PH room you posted. I could definitely see that working as inspiration for OSU's space.

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

I would use one end table with a lamp to the right of the sofa and the torchiere alone on the side by the window.

• osugirl
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I got a new end table, new artwork, and used lamps I already had. I'm open to updating the lamps, but not in a rush because the baby is like a little tornado.

I am pretty happy with it for now. Thanks again for the advice!

• lazydaisynot
    10 years ago

Hey, great choices! No wonder you're happy with it!

• k9arlene
    10 years ago

Looks great!!

• Olychick
    10 years ago

I love it when people post what they've done after asking for advice. It looks great - the end table and art make it look much more complete.

• graywings123
    10 years ago

Yes, I agree, nice to see the results. It looks great!