Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
texasgal47

Will a nautical lantern on each side of my painting overwhelm?

texasgal47
9 years ago

Bellacor has the antique brass nautical lanterns I've been considering on sale now, and I'm about to pull the trigger on the purchase. On their website the item is #691833, Dessau Home GU705, Antique Brass Square Lantern. Lantern dimensions are 7" x 7" x 16"h. I want to put a 3" battery operated pillar candle inside each one.The total framed size of my painting is 47"w x 37"h. It hangs above the fireplace mantle. My ID recommended having the carpenter build wood sconces from the scraps of molding left over from construction of the mantle for each lantern to sit on to place the sconces in the middle of the painting's height. My only hesitation is that I'm afraid the painting may look "hemmed in." Space is tight with this mantle so sconce proportions and design are critical. My mantle is only 7.75" deep, and there is only 10.5" from each side of the painting to the end of the mantle. By the way, the painting is of Lahaina harbor in Maui, Hawaii so a nautical theme is certainly appropriate for the room. Decor is British colonial with relaxed textiles. Honest feedback is requested and appreciated. If you wouldn't use the lanterns, what would you suggest? (Max budget is around $200 for each piece.) I like many of the sconces and hurricanes on the dessauhome.com website. The painting frame is medium burled walnut with antique gold beading near the liner so I want to stay with a brass or antique gold metal. As always, looking forward to the wisdom and knowledge base of forum participants.

Comments (3)