Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jstell2008_gw

Part 8. Slice of Life

Danahills
10 years ago

Since I finished the last thread, I am starting the next one. Love these threads. This is my cat Tigger looking at the snow at one if our doors. He is indoor, so he is afraid of the snow.

Comments (122)

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

awm, love the Morning Glory. Did you know there's a hot spring in Yellowstone National Park called that?
    I've been taking photos since I was a small child as my folks were both avid amateur photographers. I do need to learn how to use my camera better. I used to have a Pentax K-1000 that I loved, but when I moved to digital I never went to a DSLR but stuck with a higher end point and shoot since I just don't want to change lenses anymore. I have a Nikon Coolpix P510 right now and am happy with it. Other than a trip to Cali and onto Hawaii, I've not taken time to wander around here to play with it. Here's one of my favorites of a pine tree in Cali.

• User
    10 years ago

Crazy things happening in my town and I didn't even know it till the cops showed up and told us we were under a voluntary evacuation due to train derailment. They are working on uprighting the train today.

CTV Edmonton News is going to use my Photo's on the news tonight

Here is a link that might be useful: Train Derailment Alberta

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 14:37

• Oakley
    10 years ago

Annie, that looks like a place where Maxfield Parrish would get inspiration. :)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Nearby town is running restaurant week this week where most are offering a prix fixe 3 course dinner for $30. We went to an old restaurant that recently went through a revamp. Food was still luscious. I went for the hangar stake in a green peppercorn sauce. Yum!

• bonnieann925
    10 years ago

Annie, we are at our Cape Cod house for the week and have enjoyed two wonderful meals out during Restaurant Week here.

Love all the slice of life pics. We are awaiting adoption of a King Charles Cavalier Spaniel, but in the meantime we have a few visitors here. This guy is a regular!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

What I see when I go out to my car. I love the purpley grass thing.

• User
    10 years ago

No fair! You are all having way too much fun (g-kids, pets, hobbies, restaurants) while I'm working and slaving away.
    This is tool time weekend edition: most/least fun; most/least successful; blech/meh.

• kitchendetective
    10 years ago

Awm, beautiful work! Kees, don't know if I mentioned it before, DH and I have had 5 Keeshonds during our marriage. I adore them. One of the funniest things I ever read about them was that no Kees would ever win at Westminster because of the Keeshond sense of humor. They always do something clowny at the last minute, no matter how well trained and groomed! Wonderful threads, these!

• awm03
    10 years ago

Thank you!

Hhireno, what is that fabulous purple grass?

• Olychick
    10 years ago

Visiting friends in the Methow Valley in WA. What we saw early this a.m. from their living room window:

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Awm,
    I have no idea what that purple stuff is but I love seeing it. It's in the parking area here at my HHI place. I can't identify the plants at my regular house, let alone multiple states away in a different zone. Maybe someone knowledgable and useful will speak up. Bumblebeez lives somewhere in South Carolina and enjoys gardening, maybe she knows what it is.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Oly, how wonderful to have a view like that. The balloon is quite a treat. Lucky friends.

I went to the beach for a day to enjoy the what was probably the last warm day of the season. It was a picture perfect day and not very many people were there. Her is the beautiful Atlantic Ocean at the New Jersey coast.

• Danahills
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We had a visitor this past weekend. Isn't he magnificent?

• 4boys2
    10 years ago

Amw~ Muhly Grass ?

• schoolhouse_gw
    10 years ago

My cat Pretty enjoying the sunny bedroom window sill this morning.

• awm03
    10 years ago

It might be muhly grass, judging from the Google pictures. Thanks, forboystoo. It's wonderful.

Schoolhouse, great picture!

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

olychick, that's quite a scene to wake up to!

here are my girls taking in their first sunset in from our new back patio:

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Pipdog, Your girls are not only cute as they can be but VERY lucky.

I love balloon fest here, hearing the whoooshing overhead, but certainly no view like yours.

Love the deer and, of course, the kitties.

Is it pappus grass? We have a lot of that in the landscaping our area.

Mt. Washington Hotel on our Girls Only Leaf Peeping trip.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

Oh mustangs, thanks for reminding me of one of my favorite views...sitting out on the back porch of that hotel looking up at the mountain. Just sublime.

• dody40
    10 years ago

Sister Shirley and I brought our 91 year old Mother to Denny's for her birthday.
    I took Mom to the bathroom, and when we came back into the dining room, she sat down in the first vacant chair that she saw. I called to sister Shirley to come and help me and Mom looked around her and said, "I'm at the wrong table, aren't I?" The people who were at the table had a big laugh and loved that she sat with them.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Pipdog, what a sweet sweet view of your little girls!
    Mustangs, is that the hotel from the movie Somewhere in Time? My all time favorite movie.
    Dody, what a precious story and photo of your Mom, Sister and you! You are so blessed.

• Chadoe3
    10 years ago

Love all these pictures. Dedtired, your picture reminds me of the time one of my little nephews told me, very decidedly, that we were NOT at the beach, we were at the shore!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Dody, love the pics of your mom. Mine is 96 and going strong.

Chadoe, around here we do say that we are going "down the shore" but when we get down the shore we then go to the beach. Go figure.

• joaniepoanie
    10 years ago

Just gota.....Somewhere in Time was filmed at theGrand Hotel on Macinac Island, Mich. was there a few years ago and well worth the visit...quaint town...no cars allowed on the island. I believe Mt Washington Hotel is in NH.

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Joanie, Thanks for responding to Justgota. Yes, it is in NH. I love it and had to show it off to the girls on our trip. However, the Grand Hotel on Macinac Island is on my bucket list as WAS the Stanley Hotel in Estes Park, CO (The Shining was filmed there).

Dody, I'm sure your mom was so pleased to be with her "girls". Good deed sticker for you.

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Thank you both Joanie and Mustangs. Now that you've told me I do remember. I've not see the movie in awhile so I'd forgotten. This hotel is very similar looking if my memory serves me correctly.

• awm03
    10 years ago

Pipdog, great photo! Mustangs, I've always wanted to visit the Mt. Washington hotel. Dody, loved your story about your mom.

• Bethpen
    10 years ago

Well Stranger Cat has gone off to our local Cat Shelter. They are a no kill wonderful group of people. I got her checked at vet, rabies and leukemia shots, dewormer, etc. They couldn't feel any kittens, but that doesn't tell much. On the way home today the lady from the shelter called and they had room. It broke my heart to drop her off, but it is for the best.

Then, I saw an ad in the local paper for a lost cat. I called, turns out it was a male missing. Spoke to the lady for a while, she was really nice. She is very sad about her missing cat, thinks the coyotes must have gotten him. (she also lives near where the Cape Cod Bobcat was seen). So she is going to go this week and look at my Stranger Cat! Hoping the Universe hooks them up!

Beth P.

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Beth, darn it!!! She has a beautiful face. Stranger Cat is making me tear up. I also hope the hook up, let us know.

We have 5 missing cats on our street (12 families). A couple of weeks ago a coyote ran out of the woods and in front of my car. Guess we know where our kitties are.

• dedtired
    10 years ago

The house I rent on the Cape is down a dirt road. At night we have spotted coyotes running across there. All pets are kept inside unless supervised!

• cat_mom
    10 years ago

Yes, keep an eye on your pets!!!!!!

bethpen, I'm sorry you won't be keeping stranger kitty but glad she is safe and hopefully soon to be adopted by a loving family/person!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Aw what a cute cat! I do hope the woman you spoke to winds up adopting her and that her cat comes home. When we moved into the country I would not let our indoor/outdoor cat outside for fear of other critters and the fairly near highway. Precious Max Cat is gone now, but we have four five year old cats that only go "outside" to the screened in porch.
    Max Cat...

• oldbat2be
    10 years ago

Love these threads!

sassafras, love that shot!

pesky1 - fabulous compass.

pipdog - :) Huge smile. How amazing for all of you.

mustangs - We love the Mt. Washington Hotel. Goal is to make the climb one of these years. So far, only by cog rail....

• User
    10 years ago

5 missing kitties how sad.

• mustangs81
    10 years ago

Coyotes-I had a meeting at the city offices; they had brochures on URBAN COYOTES so I got one for each neighbor as none of us were aware that we had coyotes. My 3 furbabies are all indoor pets although I have to remind the 17 year old often.

Oldbat2be, What was so cool (at least for these Floridians) was to board the cog surrounded by the most beautiful fall colors anyway and to disembark at the top of the snow covered mountain. Then consider that we started the day before on the beach.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

After a most incredible stretch of just lovely fall weather, today is cold and damp and showery. Time for a fire. I just love that DH builds them ahead of time so all I have to do is light the match. Thanks, Hon!

• justgotabme
    10 years ago

Awe that's sweet Annie.

• martinca_gw sunset zone 24
    10 years ago

Loved looking and reading . Bethpen, your kindness
    to that kitty touched my heart. So many beautiful scenery
    Pics, but oly's view in Washington state just blew me
    away. Worthy of a fine mat and frame.

• williamsem
    10 years ago

Saw this through my kitchen slider today and thought it was a great snapshot of fall in the NY Capital District area.

• User
    10 years ago

Christmas starts early here first my cactus blooms then we have our Annual Ladies Tea starting Nov 14. We had snow last week but it melted PTL. So now that Halloween is over let this be your first Merry Christmas of the season.

• User
    10 years ago

Our leaves are finally turning, and this is what I drove into when I went home for lunch today:

********WARNING*****

Before 9am this morning there was SOMEONE ELSE'S PHOTO in the place of this one--- it was somebody's saw from an above post. Gardenweb, please get it together! The fact that this could even happen means your program is a serious DUD. My picture is back now, but I am really shocked that these single photos posted from a personal source--- computer, phone, ipad--- can float from one person's post to another.

I will never post a single photo from a personal source again--- photo sharing sites ONLY. Wow.

This post was edited by kswl on Sat, Nov 2, 13 at 9:25

• User
    10 years ago

I haven't quite mastered the art of posting one photo at a reasonable size, sorry!

• awm03
    10 years ago

Atlantic Ocean, near Cascais, Portugal:

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    10 years ago

hhireno and awn, that grass looks like Muhlenbergia capillaris (pink Muhly Grass). I have several in my yard. Love those.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

It was a dreary day yesterday but cleared up towards the end. Leaving campus for the day I saw this as I was going to my car.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Also got my Halloween Cat to pose with the pumpkins before the Trick or Treaters arrived. So spooky!

• dedtired
    10 years ago

Oh, look at that rainbow! They fascinate me.This one almost looks like it is the top of a dome, separating the pink sky from the blue sky. Lovely.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

gscience, your cat looks so much like our dear departed Casimir! RIP.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

Yes, he does look like your Caz. He's big and beautiful, with a full coat. Despite his size and spookiness, he really is quite people friendly but he is not especially fond of other cats, so we are keeping him "only cat" after our little kitty died earlier this year, though we would love to get another cat. Shelby is 9 years old and very healthy, but we have to watch his weight to reduce his risk of diabetes.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    10 years ago

First snow storm of the season.