hzdeleted_20021230

A Richly Layered Apartment

User
12 years ago

Andres Gn's Paris apt in the Oct issue of Elle Decor

Comments (22)

• powermuffin
    12 years ago

Thanks chijim for posting the pictures. I love the table and chairs by the window. And the artwork is incredible! I have never seen so much blue and white ware. It does look spectacular on that beautiful carved chest.
    Diane

• RRM1
    12 years ago

That's all great, but where do you play catch?

• rmkitchen
    12 years ago

I love seeing how he brought in his Vietnamese / S. Chinese roots with his porcelain. I have a m-u-c-h smaller but just as meaningful collection of blue and white porcelain from when I lived in Hanoi, so seeing his was a warm fuzzy.

• patty_cakes
    12 years ago

Looks like somebody had a few collections and sure loves pattern! Thanks for sharing, Jim. ;o)

• PRO
    Diane Smith at Walter E. Smithe Furniture
    12 years ago

Yum. Love the blue upholstery!

• chispa
    12 years ago

He would be using pounds and pounds of quake-hold putty if he lived in CA!!

• lynninnewmexico
    12 years ago

Lovely! I especially love the first two pics. Ahhhh!
    Lynn

• ttodd
    12 years ago

I opened this while my 5yo DS was standing beside me: "Oh Mommy! I LOVE THAT ROOM!!!!! And that one, and that one and that one too!"

• nancybee_2010
    12 years ago

I love it. Especially the tapestry in the first picture, the green color on the walls, and the way the blue furniture looks against that green. And the way he combines things. The rooms don't feel overwhelming to me the way some layered rooms do.

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I had difficulty appreciating the intensity of the colors and the mix of styles. I like eclectic and I like layered, but these rooms were not appealing to me.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

He paints his trim to match the walls, 18th-c style...I like it all but while I like the bedroom, it would be too intense for me to sleep in, I would decorate a different room in that manner, instead.

• User
    12 years ago

Lovely! Most of the objects are up higher and not covering all the surfaces so it does not feel as 'cluttered' as some layered rooms. I have let my subscription to Elle decor lapse ever since Margaret Russell left ( not on purpose really...). This spread seems unusual for what they used to show...it's more WOI to me ( which I love). Do you feel ED has changed much / any since Margaret Russell left?

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Elle Decor seems to have stayed fairly consistent to when Margaret Russell was at the helm but Architectural Digest seems quite a bit different since she took over for Paige Rense.

• leafy02
    12 years ago

The blue velvet chairs--love!

• dianalo
    12 years ago

The table cover in the first pix ruined it for me. I could deal with a lot that followed, but that reminded me of Sesame Street...one of these things is not like the others....

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Sapphire blue and olive green do not a pretty picture make.
    The brand new Kazak rug-as-tablecloth is wrong. The colors are too bright and it is too stiff to drape.

The rest is mostly very nice.

Casey

• User
    Original Author
    12 years ago

His bdrm so reminds me of Victorian rooms I've seen from the past - I made the image blk & wht

Also, notice the trim on the shelf edges in the DR to dress them up a bit.

• Boopadaboo
    12 years ago

Thanks so much! I am in love with pic #2. I have always loved navy in upholstered furniture. Stunning against the green. As Pal points out the trim is painted the same as the wall color. Love that too.

Pic 2, 3, and 5 are my favorites.

The skull painting is interesting!

I don't think I could rest in the bedroom either for some reason though. It is a bit over the top for me. :) I would have liked to see some kind of opium bed, or bed frame in general. I don't seem to see a HB/FB which is interesting.

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

I don't like the rug "tablecloth"...it just looks weird and uncomfortable.

The bedroom has way too much pattern for my brain, and kind of makes me dizzy.

Otherwise, a big thumbs up from me!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

I am never sure what such spreads are supposed to illustrate. It always starts with rooms with grand proportions, moldings, and great light. Spaces that look terrific bare naked (and actually I'd prefer them that way).

Then, they load up the space with massive amounts of fine paintings, china, furniture etc that require years of travel and wheelbarrows of money (not even dollars anymore) to acquire.

And it all looks kinda nice.

Big deal, who among us would fail with such things at our disposal? It's like reading Vogue. Interesting but largely inapplicable.

That's why Id take apartment therapy over shelter mag any day

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

The PO's in our house painted the walls, the molding, even the outlets (not just the covers, the outlets themselves!) the same color. Might have been ok but it was a color that we weren't crazy about. Sort of Crayola "flesh" if they also made a crayon called "flesh with a fake tan".

• loribee
    12 years ago

Funny, I immediately focused in on all the deep paint color choices, I didn't even notice the matching trim.