Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cliff_and_joann

New Rug, Please help me.

cliff_and_joann
11 years ago

I've been shopping for a new rug for my family room

and had nine rugs home recently. :(

The size is 6 x 9 so not to bad carting them back and forth.

Last week I found a 9 x 12 that I loved for the DR.

Took a pic of it, thought about it for

a week and finally bought it last night.

I loved it cause it was a little Indian looking. It has little pinapples and flowers inside the round things

and the colors are pretty. with a rusty red background.

It has some silky threads so it has a nice sheen.

It's a lovely rug and I was so happy last night.The colors even go perfectly with the French door treatment

Now I'm having secord thoughts. Actually, I'm in a funk and want to throw everything out and start over...hope this feeling passes...:( what's wrong with me...

I need a compasionate decorator for advise.

So, please tell me do you like it, if you do like it.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (33)

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

Oh my goodness, I expected not to like it after your introduction, but I think it's wonderful. Love the colors! I know from your previous posts your home is filled with lots of detail and creative projects. The richness of the rug seems just right for your warm and elegant style. I bet you're just having buyers remorse and you'll feel happy in a bit when you get over the shock of making such a big purchase.

• EG3d
    11 years ago

Looks great!!! But when you pull the chairs back and sit on them are all 4 legs of each chair still on the rug? If not, you need a bigger rug. The colors and design are very attractive. Good job!

• always1stepbehind
    11 years ago

I personally like a little bit of a tribal pattern in the oriental rugs...I think it looks nice but you have to like it. Where did you get it?

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I don't like it.

I adore it! It's absolutely perfect, and adds such a lovely finishing touch to your space! Nice size too. Your chairs aren't about to "fall off the edges."

• chispa
    11 years ago

I like it! But it looks like it isn't centered under the table ... if it isn't, just scoot it over and get it as centered as the space will allow.

• ratherbesewing
    11 years ago

I think the size is good and it's quite pretty.

• schoolhouse_gw
    11 years ago

When I look at rugs, I'm always drawn to oriental or Persian style on wood floors. I think you made a good choice.

• texanjana
    11 years ago

I really like it, and think the 6 X 9 would have been too small.

• patty_cakes
    11 years ago

Awww shucks, you're not alone, we've probably all been there at one time or another. The rug is a keeper!! I personally love the design, and the colors go so well with your wall color, wood floor, furnishings, etc. It's just a matter of getting used to something new, since changes in our home can sometimes be a little shocking. I think that's because we look at the same things every day, and if something new is added/changed, it's takes time to adjust. It's all good. ;o)

• tinker_2006
    11 years ago

It looks great! I'm a pro at the 2nd guessing game.. so I understand what you're feeling! The 6 x 9 would have been way to small, this 9 x 12 looks perfect, colors are prefect.. it's a keeper!

• loribee
    11 years ago

Def. a keeper. It looks wonderful in your charming room.
    I especially like it with your drapes and isn't pineapple the symbol for hospitality? What better in a DR!

• ellendi
    11 years ago

So now that you know we all like it and approve of your selection, I am wondering why you have second thoughts about this rug. After all is said and done, you are the one living there.
    Sometimes it takes a while for your eyes to adjust to something new, expecially when color is involved. I think you wlll come to like it after living with it for a few weeks.
    Side story: I made the mistake of odering chairs from swatches. I did not understand how to "read" a fabric nor did it occur to me to order a few yards to see how the pattern repeats. The plaid is large and I have two chiars and an ottoman! I am living with these chairs for fifteen years and I now actually like them. (The kicker too is that the fabric wears likes iron and they still look brand new, so I couln't even justify getting new ones!)
    My guess is that you too will come to like this rug, and twelve of us here can't be that far off.

• katrina_ellen
    11 years ago

If you ask me it couldn't be more perfect. It just looks like it belongs. Maybe your eye just needs to adjust to the difference.

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so much for the positive responses.

Just to clarify, the 6 x 9 size is for the family room. I was
    shopping for the family room when I came across this rug,
    which is a 9 x 12.

I've had nine rugs on loan so far for the family room and so far
    I still like my old one better. it also has a tribal feeling to it,
    so maybe I'll quit looking to replace it. Also, I have a red folk
    art rug for the den, that I switch off from time to time.

I still can return this one ( I have it in loan) I think rugs are the
    hardest thing to buy. Actually for me anything with a lot of color
    I have difficulty with; I guess that's why all my chairs and sofas
    are solid colors.

thank you all again...glad you all are so positive... so far :)
    hugs for helping me.

• funkyart
    11 years ago

I also love the rug-- and I especially think the rich, earthy red looks gorgeous with the room and what I remember of the adjoining space. That said, from what I remember of your other rooms, the blue-red combo may not have been the direction I'd have gone. I am not saying for one minute that the rug doesnt look great in the space.. but for *my* house, I wouldnt have wanted that combo. Perhaps that's the struggle you are feeling? It's one thing to see a gorgeous rug or piece in a store or in someone else's house-- quite another for it to give *you* the feeling you want for your space.

Again, I could be way off here-- it is stunning in your room. But if it doesn't "feel" right, I say return it and keep looking. Rugs are too expensive and with us too long for it not to give you those warm comforting feelings we all seek when living in our homes.

• tfm1134
    11 years ago

I think it is perfect! and a keeper

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I think it is PERFECT! It suits your home and style.

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the continued responses Ladies...
    Funkyart...here is another pic.
    Do you mean the little blue in the center or the border?
    actually the border is black... Does it look blue?

{{!gwi}}

• blfenton
    11 years ago

The rug looks like it's always been there and just seems to flow in the room without any effort. Keep it.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

OMG - it looks even better in the close-up. I like that the outer border is black - I thought it was a dark blue. So many colors - yet not glaring. Again, the rich colors are perfect for your layering of collectibles, fabrics, pillows, and rich woods.

• cindyloo123
    11 years ago

I love it!

• momfromthenorth
    11 years ago

It is gorgeous and I'm even going to go so far as to ask who makes it and the name of the pattern. I love all of the colors in it and think it's just beautiful. Stunning!

• springroz
    11 years ago

Yep. Perfect. Love it even more close - up!!

Nancy

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Ladies. I'm feeling better.

Sippi, here ya go
    It's a Nourison/ Jaipur Collection JA-35
    100 percent quality New Zealand wool

Now for the next part of my question...
    I am thinking of just changing the back of
    the two arm chairs that flank the china cabinet --
    to the color (light mocha) that we did the piping in.(we just covered
    these chairs in the spring) Yes, no,
    get a check-up from the neck up?

this is one. (grandchildrens toys in the corner)

This is the other one

This is the third chair that we picked up at an antique store and re-did to match the set.

The other option is
    to do over all three arm chairs in the mocha color
    and leave the six chairs (that are around the table)
    in the chocolate brown??? or leave it as is???

{{!gwi}}

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

OMG - it looks even better in the close-up.

Yes! It absolutely does. I can't imagine a more perfect rug for your room. Love it, love it, love it!

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Sunny....

This is the fabric on the seat of this little chair
    that I am thinking of covering the two arm chairs
    flanking the china cabinet???

{{!gwi}}

• nancybee_2010
    11 years ago

I'm another who thinks it's perfect. I love the warm feeling the room has.

Also, I love the little pillows on each dining chair. How comfortable for your guests! And so pretty.

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I think the fabric on the armchairs is just fine as is. They don't match your dining chairs, but complement them well. I personally wouldn't expend the effort to recover them. I like that they're a little different!

• funkyart
    11 years ago

Yes, I did think the border was blue-- but what I want to be sure is MOST clear is that I love the rug and think it's stunning in your room. My suggestion that perhaps the black and red was throwing you off was because you were saying you weren't feeling comfortable with the decision. I hope I didnt add to your doubt--and if so, I apologize profusely. I just know that in my home, there are colors and things that I absolutely love in others' homes that just don't work so well for me in my space. I am a bit of a color weirdo-- I never wear red clothing or lipstick.. and there are colors I dont find comforting in my house.

Anyhow, I agree that close up shows the rug to be even more beautiful! I agree with sunny that the chairs complement the room. I don't see a need to change them.

• erinsean
    11 years ago

I too think your rug is perfect for the room. That said...the first thing I noticed were your dining room chair seats. To me, they need to be a lighter brown/beige or another color from your rug. Maybe it is my monitor that makes the chairs the color they are. Since they are newly recovered, and they look good in person...I would leave all of the chairs as your have them. I really like your rug.

• cliff_and_joann
    Original Author
    11 years ago

funky art, please don't apologize; I appreciate your feedback
    as your name seems to apply that you're an artist and
    my weak spot is color. :) btw...all the dining chairs are the same
    color, only the little music chair is a lighter color.
    Thanks again for everyone's positive feedback.
    joann..

• judithn
    11 years ago

Agree with everyone, that rug is really gorgeous in your room. Getting a rug that you can slip in to a room that is already decorating is not easy, normally the rug is the first thing you buy and then decorate around it, so I would say you've done an excellent job. I can understand if you want to tweak the chair colors but they look nice as they are. Maybe if you live with it all for a little bit it'll grow on you. The room is beautiful, I love all your little touches. I also like the black border. They say every room needs a little bit of black.

Back to the rug, is the rug hand knotted or is it one that has the canvas cover in back? I just want to warn you about the canvas backed kind. I did buy one like that, it was a Couristan rug. I know the one under your dining table isn't that brand.

Anyway, this was the first Couristan I bought. It was the kind with that canvas cover on back. The cover is there because wool is not actually knotted, it's more "punched" into place. They glue the cover on to hold the pile firmly. Apparently, what happens with those rugs (and it happened to mine) was that SOMETIMES the glue and the backing deteriorate.

With ours, I was noticing all kinds of dust in the room. There was also this "off" smell. When I finally got in there and lifted the rug to clean it there was a powdery substance collected in the grooves of the floorboards under the rug. I thought maybe the kids were up to something and vacuumed it up but it happened several times before I realized it wasn't chalk dust or something the kids did. I know some Pottery Barn rugs have had this problem in the past, maybe they've improved. Anyway, ultimately I threw the rug away.

Again, this may not be how your new beauty is made but just wanted to mention it.

• lizzie_grow
    11 years ago

We've had 2 rugs now that have developed that "off" smell. Both were the hooked rug style. It almost smelled like "kitty pee", but wasn't. I have one rolled up downstairs in storage, but I don't think it can be used now...total bummer.