Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sbm321

Happy with my new powder room color!

Sueb20
10 years ago

Finally had my little tiny powder room painted this week. Several weeks ago, I was asking here about a "grayed pink" color, and I tried a couple of samples of colors that seemed like they'd work, but didn't. In the past this room has been Piano Concerto and then more recently, a color way down on the same "strip" (can't recall the name) because I was feeling wild and adventurous. Well, I did that paint job myself and it wasn't well done at all, and I quickly got tired of the dark color in my windowless room. Anyway, I discovered a color I'd never noticed before in my BM deck: Soft Sand. I spend so much time with my BM paint deck, and here on this board, that I thought I already knew all the "good colors," but this one is new to me and I would definitely recommend it to anyone looking for a soft pink. Okay, it's almost, kinda mauve, but I hate to use that name for its 1980s connotations!

In any case, I like it, so I'm sharing it. The room looks so much prettier now IMO.

Here is the dark, wild, impulsive purple...

Comments (22)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is the new color:

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is what the little cabinet over the toilet looked like before:

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And now it's painted China White, same as the trim elsewhere in the room. I like it sooo much more now. (It has glass shelves where we display really tacky vacation souvenirs.)

• KelliC
    10 years ago

I really loved your purple. I have that color as an accent wall in my bedroom. I agree that it's a little too dark for a small space though. That pink or "mauve" is very pretty in the space and makes it look a lot bigger.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

It looks great, and I really like the color with your floor. Are you going to put the glass back in the cabinet over the toilet?

• User
    10 years ago

Wow, I really like that a lot and think it looks great with the floor. It's a very pretty pink color.

• alex9179
    10 years ago

I really like it!

I'll have to remember this one for my MBA. The first color I used was ok, but nothing special. The second was Wool Skein, another ok but boring (to me) although I liked how it brightened the room. The 3rd is Sea Salt, really not ok and looks baby blue at certain times of the day.

I was thinking a subtle pink color would give me a little oomph, complement my complexion, and provide that brightening element. An aaaahhhh color :)

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I keep opening the door to look at it. :)

Yes, the glass door is going back on the cabinet. Otherwise, I'd worry that my little travel souvenirs might fall into the potty...

• mtnrdredux_gw
    10 years ago

C'mon, now, we wanna see it with the tacky travel souvenirs!

Nice color!

• MarinaGal
    10 years ago

SO much better! Great color. It reminds me of a BM color I love - Hot Springs Stones. More beige than pink, but kind of changeable like this. So nice with white trim!

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Yeah, yeah, the color is great. But you can't mention tacky travel souvenirs and not show us.

• busybee3
    10 years ago

pretty color!- looks great with the handtowel too! cabinet looks much better---tho am having trouble picturing it full of tacky travel mementos! lol

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Okay, Mountain Dew and Irene (I used to think hhireno was some kind of twist on the name Irene), here are my priceless tourist-shop collectibles, lovingly placed back in their display case. What? Everyone doesn't have a display of shot glasses in their bathroom?

It has become a family hobby. We're the family vacationing in Florence, Italy, devoting time to finding Just The Right Shotglass. And wait, I'm not leaving til I find a 2" replica of the Duomo!... (Which I did not find.)

This post was edited by sueb20 on Thu, Oct 31, 13 at 11:23

• hilltop_gw
    10 years ago

Very pretty - love the paint color!
    Also love the painted display cabinet. Is it from inwall cabinets? If so, are you happy with the quality and was it easy to install? I've looked at those online and always thought about putting one in.

• gsciencechick
    10 years ago

The Soft Sand really looks like sand in Bermuda. I like it, but I also liked the purple.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

hilltop, that's funny, I have no recollection of where the cabinet came from -- I think it was about 7 years ago -- but it MUST have been from that place, because this looks awfully familiar!

It was installed during a big construction project, by the contractor, so I can't comment on the ease of installation, but it seems to be pretty good quality. I did have extra shelves made at a local glass place...and will have to have another made, because when I put the shelves back in this morning, I dropped one and it chipped in a few places!

Here is a link that might be useful: inwall cabinets

• jamie81
    10 years ago

Sueb20, can you tell me the wall color outside the powder room door. I really like that! And the purple.

Are they both BM colors?

• User
    10 years ago

I know why those shot glasses are in the lou the mickey is hidden keeping cool in the tank LOL Love the new color.

• Sueb20
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Jamie, the color outside the room is River Gorge Gray, and the dark purple color is Pinch of Spice. Both Ben Moore.

Here's another shot of River Gorge Gray, just as that room was finished being painted.

• hhireno
    10 years ago

Brilliant use of tacky tourist souvenirs!

• jamie81
    10 years ago

Sue, thank you. Love the gray. I am going to get a sample and try it out. It looks really nice.

Thanks again!!

• Pipdog
    10 years ago

Nice choice on the new color and the painted display shelf looks great!