Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
emmo_gw

What color would you go with?

Emmo
11 years ago

How would you paint this house?? We are going to be painting and have no idea what colors to do. Do you like the blue? I know, the garage door doesn't match the shakes right now.

Comments (46)

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

here it is closer

• yayagal
    11 years ago

Take a look at a light gray on the house below, I would use that and also paint the garage door the same. It would look lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: [gray and brick[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/red-brick-exterior-phbr0lbl-bl~l_42610)

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bump.. any other opinions? I really do like that light gray, btw!

• User
    11 years ago

I'm assuming you are keeping the brick unpainted. Correct? To me, the blue clashes with the brick.

I would put a white-wash type color on the shakes and garage. Something with a warm tone that complements the brick and the white/cream trim.

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Sage-y grey green would be nice on the shingles and garage door.

• tuesday_2008
    11 years ago

I agree with Pal - they shakes do no look good with the brick. Once you change them, the trim color will be easier. If you use a sagey-gray green, the rest of the trim could be a in lighter, but coordinating green - keep it earthy with red/orange brick.

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, same brick color. And if the trim stays the same, that's a plus.. But we are willing to paint it if we find something we really like. I am totally clueless about exterior paint colors, so any pics to explain what you are talking about might help... plaimpsest- I can't envision what you are talking about :/

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And what about the door? hmmm

• User
    11 years ago

The problem with the door is the hedges. They are blocking a very pretty entryway. I would take out the two center hedges for starters and put something with softer foliage in under the middle window. The ones that crowd the sidewalk need to go too, but I don't know what to suggest in their place. It's a common situation, and the landscape design forum can help with some suggestions.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I'd think about a taupey tan, like SW latte, similar to your walk way, with off white or even the biscuit trim.

{{!gwi}}

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, so here is what I come up with as far as grey and brick like yayagal said...

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Heres Latte (the trim is still the same, though)

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here's sage....

So what do you guys like?

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I think the green looks best - I don't know how complex you want to get, but I thought this was a really nice combination with brick, including the door color.

[Modern Entry design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/modern-entryway-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_741~s_2105) by Dc Metro Architect Brennan + Company Architects

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I like this with the garage door slightly darker. At first I thought this was gray, but think it's a grayed green.

[Traditional Exterior design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-exterior-home-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_736~s_2107) by Dc Metro Interior Designer Grossmueller's Design Consultants

• peaches12345
    11 years ago

Love the sage so far! Not crazy at all about the gray or latte.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I can't photoshop, but could you try the shakes a color close to the brick and see how it looks? (Unless you'd hate that).

• oceanna
    11 years ago

Whatever you decide, I would not paint the garage door the exact same color as the siding. I would either go white with it, or come up two shades lighter or darker on your color strip from whatever you pick for the house body. IOW, house body color, skip one color chip, and pick the next one. That's what I did with my two tones of blue on my house trim.

Also, I'd leave a little band of another color (maybe white) around the edge of the garage door if there is trim there, and the same with the front door. I think what set my front door off is it's pale blue, then a strip of white, then framed in the darker medium blue, then the body of the house in a different color. Doing that helps it stand out.

I hope this post makes sense.

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So are you saying do the garage door two shades darker or lighter than the Brick? Or the shakes?

• yayagal
    11 years ago

I would do the shakes and the garage door the same, otherwise the garage door will stick out as a large square. I still prefer the gray, it's timeless yet up to date.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I like the green best, with matching garage door.

• teacats
    11 years ago

A vote for the gray (with the matching garage door) -- works so well with the roof color.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I don't like the green with the roof color. I like the gray but I'd paint the front door a different color.

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, I tried red shakes and I didn't like it...

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here is grey with white trim around the garage and the garage door is 2 shades darker

• oceanna
    11 years ago

How about looking at a bunch of pictures until you see what you like? Here's a link that should be fun for you. If you see ones you like, save them to a folder on your desktop. I use Microsoft Paint for that and do a screen capture (button on your keyboard called 'Print Screen' or similar), then paste into Paint, then crop and save.

Here is a link that might be useful: [Houzz: bricks and shakes siding[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/shake-and-bricks-siding-phbr0lbl-bl~l_45892)

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here is the same concept, but with greens

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Oceanna. After looking at that site, I think I like the darker grays that I see... http://www.houzz.com/red-brick

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

maybe BM Hampshire Grey? To me it's olive-y

• lyfia
    11 years ago

I like a gray that has a greenish undertone for your house.

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

So them what color for the door? Of I do gray with the other stuff should I go with gray or black or a new color entirely?

• Emmo
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Here it is with a dark door. For some reason I can't get it black, but here it is gray.

• bronwynsmom
    11 years ago

I like the dark gray.

I don't like the latte at all.
    And although that's a nice green, I don't think it does anything good for the brick...and vice versa.

With the dark gray, I'd consider painting the white trim in a pale tint of the same gray.

I'd also paint the gutters and downspouts the dark gray, to add dimension to the roofline, and make the downspouts disappear.

• k9arlene
    11 years ago

I like the dark gray as well and agree with bronwynsmom regarding painting the downspouts and trim. I, personally, would paint the door black, but if you like color, a yellow would also look nice.

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

Emmo, I'm glad you linked this from the landscape forum, so I could see some of the option that were tried out.

Regarding garage doors I don't think it's a good idea to color it with the trim color but perhaps in this case I'm rethinking that thought. The samples though in this thread are mostly dark and IMO it's not working, no matter what color you go with...the colors are much too dark.

I actually had that same color brick with a light grey, white and black shutters...really looked nice. Olychick has a medium grey but I think you could go (and we did) lighter since you have so much brick and little of the "base" color.

Have you considered even white all over?

• rnsusie
    11 years ago

I think the Latte color above with black trim would look great. My neighbor has similar colors, I will attempt a photo tomorrow to show you how well the colors go together with the brick.

• cookie8
    11 years ago

I also vote for dark grey. A cranberry door (front entrance) would look nice with it also.

• busybee3
    11 years ago

i like the gray, but think if you found a slightly warmer shade of gray, that would be best. i like the garage a shade or 2 darker.
    i think a green could look nice also, but the green you have photoshopped is not the best green- definitely needs to be more 'grayed'...
    i would not go with a black door, but until you find the shade you plan to paint the house, you really shouldn't choose a door color...

• lazydaisynot
    11 years ago

I like your last photo with the dark gray. I'd paint the downspouts gray but leave the trim white. Black door.

• rnsusie
    11 years ago

What do you think? I would have never chose black trim, but it looks great to me! Not a great photo, our neighborhood is very shaded

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

I think you've nailed it with your last photo. That's so pretty!

• SunnyCottage
    11 years ago

Just to clarify - I'm referring to Emmo's pic with the gray-greens.

• aloha2009
    11 years ago

I'd love to see Msusie's on your house. I would paint the garage though the same beige. I'd have to see it with black trim compared to a white time though. I love black (my front door is black) but like I said, I'd have to see it.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Love that last pic with the black trim..very sharp.
    And remember the latte may not be the right shade and that it's also much brighter on line....I think in RL the tan color would be toned down and even more attractive.

• pamperedpeden
    11 years ago

I haven,t read thru all of these responses so I apologize if this already been
    mentioned.
    The stark white is really harsh agains the earthy brick color. I did like the mockup with the gray shakes and garage door that Emmo posted. The garage door should never be painted an accent color, its too big a surface and do you want to call attention to it? If possible, perhaps you could paint the windows a very dark earthy color, but not black. I think that would look really sharp with the shakes surrounding it in whatever color you decide for the shakes, what you would call the body color. Then choose a trim color and an accent color to highlight details on the porch and other architectural elements.

So bottom-line.........

Body color 1 -Brick-that can't be changed

Body color 2 -earthy coordinating color to the brick, ie charcoal gray
    - Paint all the shakes and the garage door this color (and garage door trim)

Trim color -choose a color that coordinates, ie light gray with green undertones
    - Paint this on the stationary parts of the window and the door trim.

Accent color --choose any color you like that coordinates with the body colors -have fun with this one...theres not much of it and it,ll be that one color that makes people step back and say "wow, they did such a good job with that, i never would have been brave enough to do that."
    - Paint any decorative accents with this color

Sash (window) color -something very dark (but not black, its too jarring), ie blackish green
    - Traditionally this would be painted on any moving parts of the window, just the wood around the glass that actually moves up and down as the glass moves and the muttons. This is one of those applications that does't jump out at the viewer, they just know something about this house looks really pulled together. Maybe you could just paint the storm windows this color.

Its best if you think of your color placements in terms of the architecture, all the walls a certain color, all the trim another, highlight the accents, and the special window color.

The white wall color near the door should be painted the same as the shakes, otherwise you basically have three body colors going on.

I hope you find this helpful and understandable...I know I kind of rambled. I really love exterior color placement and did a lot of research when I had my 1880's victorian painted.

Best of luck with your beautiful home.

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH