Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pps7_gw

Burlap curtains?

pps7
12 years ago

What are your opinions on them? I'm strongly considering ordering a couple of pairs from Ballard for my family room. They are lined. Do they hang well?

Comments (25)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

I absolutely love them! I like the ones I made but they're not lined. If they were in a room that I needed to open and close the drapes often, I would have bought them instead of jerry rigging with my no sew methods.
    I have looked at the Ballard ones a few times in the catalog and might have very well bought those.

• ttodd
    12 years ago

Any pics Bumblebeez?

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Here you go:

• awm03
    12 years ago

Bumblebeez, those are fabulous!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Thanks, awm, that's so nice of you to say!

• cherigw
    12 years ago

is that a "bleached" burlap? It looks white/grey on my monitor.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

No, my pictures are horrible.
    The edges have a red line which I great like. It's basic stinky burlap for three dollars a yard.

• finz2left
    12 years ago

Bumbleebeez,

Can you tell me how you did those? I'm in need of a plain curtain for my dining room and those are perfect (and I don't sew) ;-).

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

finz2left, I will tomorrow, I'm ready for bed right now. Will try and post better pics too.

• User
    12 years ago

Ohhh, I remember your beauuuuutiful curtains Bumble. :) Do you find you're fighting with lint much from them?

• loribee
    12 years ago

Beautiful...love 'em!

• lori316
    12 years ago

Perfect timing. I also tried to jerry rig some over the weekend, but mine came out NOTHING like that. Yours are gorgeous. Mine were quite humorous, actually. Looking forward to your tutorial. I also have zero sewing ability.

They look great with the black accessories.

• NewHome11
    12 years ago

Bumblebeez-
    Have you had any issues with your burlap in the sun? I just purchased some great burlap curtain and they are not lined. Although I am not worried about most of the panels there is one pair that is going in a window with some strong, late afternoon sun and I'm not sure what is going to happen once they are hung.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Mine don't get any sun at all as they are under the porch window and face north. I haven't forgotten this thread, will still post directions and better pics later. Haven't had time to do so yet today.

• cooperbailey
    12 years ago

can you also include the color listed on the bolt when you boutht the burlap? thanks!

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Ok, here is what I did. The burlap is basic burlap, I had no color choice. It is 48" wide and I used 6 feet for each side and made two panels for each side. I think a third would be better and I might add another on each side.

Lay it on the floor and cut to the length you want allowing it extra long and material to fold over.

Measure carefully and use chalk to mark. Allow 12 inches to fold over. Fold over and on the floor, using a towel underneath, iron the top edge flat. Fringe the edge as wide as you want- this takes a while do it carefully. Fringe the bottom too.

Personally, I wish I had made the top flap deeper, it looks a little skimpy to me and I wish I had made the fringe deeper too. Oh well.

I also wish I had made the curtains longer so I could get more drape with the tie backs.
    These are NOT curtains that I think would open and close easily everyday without shedding or fussy arranging.

I used drapery hooks on the back of the curtains and ran the hook through the rings which are clip on but I didn't use the clip part. I need to go look at that again. I just know I did not want the clip to show.

I don't know why that last pic is sideways. It is upright in my account and I did reload but I am including it as it seems the most accurate color.

• colorblind1961
    12 years ago

pps...I got the burlap drapes from Ballard you mention in your post. I hung them in my very sunny family room. While they looked gorgeous, the smell was overpowering when the sun hit them...which is pretty much all day. I called Ballard and they said the smell would subside after a week or so. Well after two months, the smell did not go away or even lessen for that matter. Ballard was gracious enough to take them back and offered me a credit. I since replaced them with textured tapestry drapes from "Anthropologie" and love them.

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    12 years ago

Very interesting, colorblind. The smell on my homemade ones was strong for about a week but then did indeed disappear but sun never strikes them. I'm glad they took them back but they should have given you a refund.

• pps7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Colorblind, thank you for the warning.

I love silk drapes, but can't find the right color. Burlap is really the perfect color. I guess the quest continues- I may have to do custom.

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

There is silk burlap, if you think that might work for you.

I have a game room with a million windows covered in burlap curtains lined with white blackout lining, for the sake of large screen TV watching. The coarse, standard burlap was about $2.50 a yard six years ago. Lining was much more. There has never been an odor, so I don't know what to say about that.

Here is a link that might be useful: I haven't tried this vendor

• Arapaho-Rd
    12 years ago

pps7, don't know if this would work for you, but it's a linen-like burlap. Here's the link so you can check it out...I don't know anything about the vendor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Linen burlap

• kitchendetective
    12 years ago

For some reason, I cleaned off my desk today (I must have been in the mood for an archeological expedition) and came across a Village Workroom sample of "Matka Silk Fawn." This is a raw silk with a linen-like appearance, but a soft hand, and comes very close to the color of my burlap. I will see if i can find a link to it online.

I did find the online link; however, on my monitor, it looks absolutely nothing like my sample. The online version appears to be a cream. The sample they sent is burlap colored. HTH.

• homeagain
    12 years ago

I wanted to make some burlap placemats for our breakfast room but didn't want the smell of natural burlap. I just purchased a rough textured linen at our local fabric store that looks the same as burlap.

I've also made several purchases at fabric.com lately and they have something similar.

Here is a link that might be useful: European Linen

• pps7
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you kitchendectective and homeagain!

I ordered a sample of that matka silk fawn- I'm excited to see that.

Homeagain-I was just looking at that fabric on fabric.com. I was looking at the Inca color but the Wheat looks good too. Maybe I should order a few samples.

Great ideas everyone- I'm hopeful I will be able to get something soon.

• tinam61
    12 years ago

I meant to respond to this earlier in the week and forgot! Last night I was looking through the new issue of Romantic Homes and they had an article on burlap. They talked about washing the burlap - several times, on the last wash adding alot of fabric softner, then dry and iron or have steamed. This takes care of the shedding - which I hate. Has anyone who has sewn with burlap washed it first? I would also like to see that silk and linen burlap. I would love to have a burlap bedskirt. I have one bookmarked and love the look of it!

Bumble - I like your curtains. I am not one who favors panels tied back, but the tiebacks you used really look good with the burlap.

I have a cream colored table runner in burlap (Etsy), and have seen a few colors. I know hobby lobby sells burlap.

I also just ordered a custom burlap lumbar pillow for our bed - so see - I need the bedskirt!!!