Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kiwigem_gw

Should we get rid of the stone accents?

Kiwigem
9 years ago

Ok, my DH thinks I'm NUTS, but I'm starting to wonder (per Lyfia's suggestion) if we should get rid of the little bit of stone accenting on our build. Here's what I'm thinking:

1.) There's only a little bit anyway and the biggest panel is on the north side of the house where no one would see it much.

2.) It ends right at the sill plate, so I'm worried it will look strange where the stone ends and a little exposed foundation (inevitable) begins. Wouldn't it just be better to have the cedar crisply end there and have the exposed concrete pass for a design choice?

3.) We can still have stone other places: piers in the fence, fireplace, patio, etc.

4.) It will save us about $10-15K which would put us squarely back in budget (we are currently suffering budgetary death by a thousand cuts)

What do you think?

Here are the elevations with the proposed stone:

Comments (7)

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    9 years ago

Can you leave the areas plain concrete for a while and add stone later?

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi, thanks for responding! The stone doesn't go on the concrete; that's what's weird about it. It goes in a band above the sill plate. We would have to replace the stone by continuing the cedar and hardie board to the sill plate. I supposed we (DH and I) could compromise by nixing the stone band with the idea that later we could add stone to the exposed foundation if we felt we needed it.

PS: Here's a photo of the house that put me on this crazy spiral. See how the foundation passes for a design element instead of looking like something you should pretend isn't there?

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

PS: Those elevations have been tweaked a little incidentally. We now have a chimney on the north elevation. It is slated to be board and batten, but perhaps we could put the stone veneer on the chimney instead?

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here's our color palette inspiration:

• blfenton
    9 years ago

With the little amount of stone that it looks like you plan, from what I can envision it looks like it will be out of scale to the cedar.

It just seems that it will be

band of concrete
    little band of stone
    lots of cedar.

If you really like the idea of the stone and it suits your area/house I can see maybe doing it on the front entrance portion of the house between the garage and the 2 level portion. Do it as a dressing up embellishment just in that area and not anywhere else. Make it a statement in that area rather than doing a little here and a little there which lessens the decorative impact.I don't know if that makes sense or not.

Because then it's at the front of the house only, it would be easy to carry it through into the front entrance and/or living room area. (fireplace)

• User
    9 years ago

I can't tell from elevations what the stone would look like on the finished product. Do you have pictures of houses more similar to yours?

• Kiwigem
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your input! We (we!! DH is convinced!!!!) have decided to get rid of the band of stone. If the budget doesn't change too much, we may add it to the chimney instead. Or if we get rid of the stone on the house entirely, we will have more to put into the landscape. I feel so relieved! Thanks, all. Lyfia, I hope you see this!