Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_16331601

front porch upholstery project..more eye candy :)

User
9 years ago

This has been done since right before we left in May on our bike ride. I use that as the excuse for why I didn't post then . I bought the sofa more than 5 years ago. This picture isn't great but it gives an idea of how awful the covers were. I bought the chairs from the same place I found my old chair nailed to the wall :) The upholstery was beyond bad..but I just never got around to changing it so have lived with it for several years.

sofa before:

Fast forward to m3d and her wonderful fabric contact. They worked with me as to color matching the green to the floral. Perfection ! It is the same exact color as the grass in the yard. Kenny used webbing that I supplied to redo the support in the sofa...we were using a piece of plywood to support it :( as the straps had long since rotted. The chairs had box springs so he used those on 2 chairs and made a new one for one chair. He made the tufted cushion for the swing. The swing came with the house and is HEAVY with a metal frame. I need to paint everything and make repairs...when that will happen I do not know. So I will post now .

chairs and swing before...ugly ! ( hail storm )

I redid the ceiling a couple years ago. That was a project for sure !!

me sanding:

ceiling done and yucky furniture :

ugly sofa and pretty ceiling !

finished upholstery:

sofa...love the way he matched the flowers:

webbing:

one chair:

a rocker:

swing...need to fluff !

note the matching and the pretty slanted corner ...made to match the frame exactly:

from a distance:

front:

rear:

my favorite one ( you guessed from all the pics :) )

I need to get Kenny to make loose cushions..I want some in the pretty yellow so I tell myself that is what I am waiting for ...we will see. Hope you enjoy ! c

Comments (28)

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

So beautiful! I love how the chair back is green and the front is floral. Kenny is a superb upholsterer. What state are you in? I could sure use a good upholsterer.

• teacats
    9 years ago

Wow!!!

Bright, fresh and happy front porch furniture! :)

He is a GREAT upholsterer!!! Excellent work!

Maybe you could bake a few loaves of your wonderful bread ...... just as bribes to keep him happy and available for lots of projects!!!! ......(((( just teasing! :))))

• DLM2000-GW
    9 years ago

There's nothing better than florals and wicker - one of my all time favorites. A yellow gingham in the right scale would look really cute with that floral if you want to venture beyond a solid. It's such a great porch!

• TxMarti
    9 years ago

It looks great, and perfect for your porch, which I adore by the way.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

A classic, looks great. I will be by for some iced tea, put my feet up, and watch the storm.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

AHA! Now we know the true reason you are not moving to Virginia! I wouldn't give up that upholsterer either! Also, I am so impressed by your ceiling. Nothing better than a porch with wicker, comfy cushions, and a blue ceiling.

All in all, your porch is perfectly lovely.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Holly...he is SO talented..that was his idea to do the front/back like that and the double welting..I just hand him the fabric and he does the rest ;) We are in central AL...you need to make a road trip !

tea that is a great idea..he loves to eat :) Thank you I smile every time I walk out there and sit with my coffee.

dlm ..that is a great idea !! I wondered what I could use. I will carry some of the fabric with me and see what I can find locally. Afraid to do it online for fear it won't match. You have great design sense. Thank you !

marti thank you we do to. We spend an inordinate amount of time sitting out there. I sure missed it this Summer...now you can see why we are so reluctant to sell.

mnt...you head on down..you are always welcome ! Your trips don't take you far enough south ! We have lots of room. Thank you ! c

• Fun2BHere
    9 years ago

I love seeing a project go from start to finish. You and your upholsterer put some great ideas and talent together to create a wonderful outside room.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you fun..it is so nice to just turn it over to him. He is a friend of both my sons and I know his Dad. He has always been a fine young man. He says I am the easiest customer he has :) We get along well because I am so open to suggestions. He doesn't charge if you provide the fabric and he charges 12.50 per hr labor..the whole porch set including building the box springs for 2 chairs and all supplies etc was $425 ! He is definitely a great artist. I am very lucky..unfortunately he has my last chair at his place now...I am bereft of upholstery projects after this :( c

• My3dogs ME zone 5A
    9 years ago

I'm amazed at his labor fee and thrilled with the results! I remember drawing outlines of how much fabric I thought you'd need in emails. :-)

Kenny truly is an artist and the way he matched the print from the top of the seat cushion to the band at the front of the chair is just perfection. You MUST tell him that he now has fans all over the country!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

My3dogs..I was so impressed when I saw the matching..look at the base of the sofa back cushions and how they go into the flower on the seat !! I asked him how he does it and he just smiled and said there is a trick to it. I laughed and said " no you are an artist ". He was so pleased. He really will like it that you approve. I told him ALL about your projects and showed him some from the GW forum that you have posted. He was very impressed that you do this for a hobby. I only wish I had more things for him to do. After seeing the backs with just muslin I would give my arm to have a whole bunch of furniture done in just the creamy white muslin...sigh..gorgeous !

Thank you again..you have been so wonderful and I think of you everytime I sit down :) c

• cat_mom
    9 years ago

What a cheery and utterly charming place your porch is!!! From the lovely blue ceiling (have loved it since you first posted pics of it!) to your darling flowered cushions. Sweet!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you cat ! What a wonderfully kind and generous thing to say. I only wish you and J could come share it with us. c

• loribee
    9 years ago

How lovely, enjoy!!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

Well done! And having removed acoustic tile from our old LR ceiling, I can relate to what you went through on that porch!!

Definitely a place you will enjoy just being.

• teeda
    9 years ago

Beautiful! I would die to have a porch like yours. The photos with the rain/mist are truly mesmerizing!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you lori !

Thank you !!Oh annie it was a job. Had to pull down the luan board that was covering the original beaded board. Then had to find and salvage beaded board from a friend's property...had my GC do that...then he cut and patched and installed about 80 sq ft so that it matched perfectly. I sanded the 350 sq ft ceiling to get off the old white paint and found traces of the original haint blue. I had GC caulk and then I primed and painted. It was a job. But it still looks great and it has been a number of years since I posted...would have to look back.

after sanding :

what had to be patched..old knob and tube exposed !!

more areas that were patched:

luan coming off :

haint blue shows through..I took a board to SW and had it color matched..original 1890 color.

WMA...we do love to sit out there when we have a 'po down..as we call it in AL...you stop in anytime !! Thank you ! c

• franksmom_2010
    9 years ago

That is just gorgeous!! Wow! The whole front porch is just beautiful, and the perfect upholstery is just the finishing touch!

I love the fabric that you chose, and I think yellow gingham toss pillows would be perfect! Now you just need a few potted plants and it will look like something out of Southern Living!

• nutsaboutplants
    9 years ago

Wow!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

franksmom...that is a very nice thing to say ! Thank you ! I am going to look around for some fabric since you and dlm think that would work. I may have to wait till Spring to find gingham but I agree it will look great.

nuts...:) thank you ! c

• sc_irish
    9 years ago

Another vote for gingham....in yellow, or the same green, or the blue....your choice! Truly serene. And Kenny is a keeper. Does he travel for jobs? I think this entire board could keep him quite busy! ~ I remember the trials and tribulations of when you did the ceiling....and leaving for a long bike ride in the midst of it. It was all worth the effort. What a gem.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sc-irish...I think Kenny only works from here ;) He has a long waiting list and a 2-3 week lead time at present . Sorry ! You have a great memory !! I had forgotten which Spring we did the porch. Thank you for the kind words..I will definitely post when I pick the pillow fabric. c

• User
    9 years ago

Beautiful fabric and wonderful upholstering!! That front porch is perfection, such a pleasant outdoor space. Great job on it all!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you kswl! Next time you are in town I wish you would let me know...it would be a treat to meet :) c

• lam702
    9 years ago

Wow! Just gorgeous! What a difference that fabric makes. I am toying with the idea of reupholstering my sofa, haven't had the time to start such a project yet. On the list with the many others for when I have the time. Your pieces look so cozy and inviting, an amazing transformation!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

thank you hpny2.. it sure does make a great before/after project LOL ! dh thought I was crazy when I picked out all the old wicker furniture. It was really uncomfortable before. I am SO glad I finally got it to its current proud state. :) c

This post was edited by trailrunner on Sun, Oct 5, 14 at 10:37

• melsouth
    9 years ago

Love it!
    Love your set of inside chairs, too.
    That's it.
    Am calling upholsterer tomorrow...

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

haha mel...I am glad you will move forward..I am SO slow but once I got going I was ready to have them all home. Wish the link to the fabric thread had been around when I was buying ...there are some great choices on there too. c