Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinchette

Every day dishes suggestions needed

chinchette
12 years ago

This hasn't been discussed in a while. I am looking for something simple, white, not too expensive, that doesn't easily scratch. My current set is chipped and has the grey knife marks...

I saw some inexpensive bone china at Home Goods from The Palm Restaurant. Anyone familiar with it? I think the plates were $3.99.

Anyone?

Comments (35)

• les917
    12 years ago

You might try JC Penney. Do a search by color for white. I have a set that they don't sell any more, but it is great, gets microwaved, in the dishwasher, daily use, and I have yet to even break a plate after three or four years. It was their Stax line, and I paid $100 for 12 5-pc plate settings.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    12 years ago

Are you sure it was bone china? That would be very unusual at that price.

I have white Johnson Brothers ironstone that I have had for almost 30 years. It is still in good shape with only a few chips in the entire set (for 12). Not sure what it would cost now, but it was inexpensive when I bought it as a newly-divorced single mom who was watching her pennies.

• msrose
    12 years ago

I honestly can't remember what I paid for mine, but I bought them at SteinMart and later ordered some matching bowls from Amazon.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

Try Ikea. They have really nice stuff for very good prices. I think our entire set of white dishes was approx $50... I think they are called the365 day collection or something like that. They are pretty and versatile.

• mjsee
    12 years ago

We bought a bunch from crate and barrel about six months ago...and not a knife mark on the bunch. I am very pleased. I'll link them below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aspen Dinnerware

• chinchette
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for all the good suggestions. I am checking them all out. Cyn, the label said bone china, but I don't know...

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

My friend has Mikasa Italian Countryside that she uses for every day. I love this white pattern.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mikasa Italian Countryside

• forhgtv
    12 years ago

I've used Johnson Brothers Heritage White ironstone for years and it has no marks on it. I'm bad about catching the edge on the stone counter as I put it in the dishwasher and it's never chipped.

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

I have Italian Countryside, too. It's lovely, substatial dinnerware, looks great with everything, and mixes well with my vintage china. BUT...the dinner plates are huge and don't fit in my dishwasher.

I also have a few pieces of Pfaltzgraff "Filigree" and I love it.

• fauve01
    12 years ago

I love love love my Corelle WInter White dishes. They're super lightweight, thin, chip- and break-resistent. I got mine at Target for under $30 (for a set of 4 big and small plates, mugs, bowls).

Here is a link that might be useful: Corelle Livingware Winter Frost 16-Piece set

• homebodymom
    12 years ago

I have Italian Countryside by Mikasa. They are very easy to find, and hold up like iron! They are white, but have a simple pattern around the edge. After I bought them, so did my mom and sister. I have had them for 9 yrs now and still love them as much as I did when I bought them. Very pretty, but simple enough to never get sick of :o)

• chocolatebunny
    12 years ago

I have the Corelle Winter White dishes too. I love Corelle because they are so lightweight.

• lindac
    12 years ago

another vote for Mikasa....but I vote for their fine china. It wears forever, very resistant to chipping much more than stoneware.....and it lighter weight....and cheap!
    I have been using a set of Mikasa fine china in my kitchen for 25 years. The only time I have broken any was when a table collapsed!
    There are several 40 piece simple white patterns on their web site for just about $200.....but if you just want plates, one of their outlet stores is a great place to shop. A few years back I bought a dozen dinner plates and a dozen sandwich plates for just about $60.
    And the great thing about most of the mikasa patterns is if you break one, they will still be there to replace it....where Ikea or another RH very likely will change out their line.

• fully2
    12 years ago

I too, have the Corelle. In fact I bought 20 of the plates and dessert plates from the outlet store. I thought that it made more sense to use those for large gatherings rather than buying plastic plates. I fnd that I love them being light weight and tend to use them for everyday rather than my heavy Denby.

• jab65
    12 years ago

I've had Mikasa French Countryside for at least 10 years, which I might mix with some other white plates I picked up at a yard sale. Love that look!

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

I was wondering why Mikasa Countryside sounded familiar...I had Mikasa "frech" countryside...I had those for a long time and when I switched to something else, I brought the leftovers here to work.

I was going to put in vote for Corelle...my sister has those and I was thinking I'd start on those next....I have solid white dishes, probably ceramic of some sort and they are all chipped up...

I also like the idea of Ikea dishes...That might be an option too. My neighbors have those and really seem to be happy with them.

The ONLY thing I didn't like about the Mikasa Coutryside dishes were that the bowls weren't deep. I'd prefer a deep bowl for cereal. The Countryside bowl makes a nice salad bowl though.

• Valerie Noronha
    12 years ago

I also use Corelle for everyday dishes. I like that it stacks without taking so much room in the dishwasher and my dish storage drawer so I can keep a set of 12 place settings all in one 30" dish drawer along with other daily dishes. I also have 3 doz. of the Winter White pattern that I use mostly for parties. Again, I like it for the same reasons. I also have a set of Mikasa stoneware that I don't use daily, but use for more informal dinner parties. I also use the large soup bowls when I am serving soup. I like the smaller sized bowls which Corelle has for cereal, though, plus I can fit many more in my dishwasher since we are a family of 5 (now 4 with DS off in college).

• upa_lazy_river
    12 years ago

Try white Fiestaware...made in America...strong and sturdy.

• lily313
    12 years ago

Another vote for Mikasa Italian Countryside. I've had it for about 5 years and can't believe how sturdy it is - no chips or marks, and there have been plenty of opportunities for that to occur. I would say it's more of an off white or ivory rather than white. I love how versatile it is in going from formal to casual.

I previously had a Nikko set that I had bought at Tuesday AM and after about 10 years I hardly had a piece left that wasn't either chipped or crazed.

• Oakley
    12 years ago

I haven't read the replies but this may have already been suggested. Corelle! I call them my pretty-inexpensive-lazy-every-day dishes. lol. They stack beautifully in the cabinets and dishwasher. Don't scratch and are hard to break.

They've come out with some really nice designs now which makes it hard not to buy new one's when I get tired of my old one's.

I have nice china, but I'll never be without my Corelle.

• celticmoon
    12 years ago

Mikasa does wear well.

I scarfed up 24 each of plates, small plates and bowls for $1 each at a Mikasa outlet oh, maybe, 15 years ago. Great purchase that has made parties and holidays so easy. Use them for every day too.

• theresa2
    12 years ago

Another vote for Corelle, light weight and nearly indestructible. I have the classic all white with a swirl edge. Over the years I've been purchasing additional pieces from an outlet store. No more paper plates when I entertain a large group. Due to the thinness of the plate, they stack nicely. I love the bowls too. Just the right size for soup, cereal and salads. Not crazy about their coffee mugs though, so I would never buy the sets.

• ellenm08
    12 years ago

I have Crate and Barrel as well and love them! Not a scratch - everyday white dishes. I believe they are the Roulette series. I have mine displayed like this and I love how it looks:

(not my kitchen - i wish!)

[traditional kitchen design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-kitchen-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_709~s_2107) by newark kitchen and bath Regan Tuder

• always1stepbehind
    12 years ago

Here is another nice set from JCPenney-dont know how well they'd hold up, but they have a nice variety of what it comes with.

http://www.jcpenney.com/jcp/X6.aspx?Grptyp=PRD&ItemId=1d33c15&cmOrigId=19b8bbe&cmTypeFlag=RichRel&cmCatID=70755:83487

• peginmd
    12 years ago

PB has caterer's white dishes 12 salad plates or bowls for $39. Dinner plates too but do not remember price.

• busybee3
    12 years ago

BB&B has inexpensive bone china everyday dishes... i bought some a couple of months ago---white, with a raised design (flowery) that i wasn't sure about (didn't know if i wanted the feminine look), so i haven't used them yet. at this point, i think i'm going to keep them! what i like about them is they are lighter weight than stoneware and are also supposed to resist chips and knife marks much better than stoneware, but are more substantial than corelle.

• calvinator
    12 years ago

Another Mikasa Italian Countryside lover here. Picked up new set two years ago because installed new kitchen and wanted white plates, especially when entertaining. I've picked up extras at Bed Bath and Beyond as well. Couldn't be happier with choice.

• Saypoint zone 6 CT
    12 years ago

I've been using my 8 place settings of Mikasa Italian Countryside for almost 15 years, and they still look good as new. Plus, they're open stock, and you can easily replace a few pieces or add serving pieces later on if you want to. I bought mine at a Home Goods store in NC when I lived there, and got a great deal on them. Where I live
    They're a nice ivory color, with a shape that's interesting but blends well with a lot of other designs for mixing it up a bit.
    I think plain white or ivory doesn't compete with the food the way patterned or strong colored china does.

• jane__ny
    12 years ago

I have been looking for everday dishes which are not made in China. Seems impossible. Crate and Barrel, BBB, and PB dishes and mugs are all made in China. I have concerns about lead leaching from dishes made in China.

Corelle was made in the US, but I wonder if it still is. Their dinner plates seem small to me.

I would love any ideas for everyday dishes made in the USA.

Jane

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I saw a nice white set at Costco the other day.... I still love my Ikea whites ;) They are easy to add to as their style in white never seems to change....

• franksmom_2010
    12 years ago

Jane, you might look into vintage. Many patterns can be found on ebay, as well as sites like replacements.com. Good places to start are Homer Laughlin and Knowles. It's really not that hard to piece together a complete set browsing second hand stores and the internet.

If you want to go eclectic, it's even easier. I have about 30+ white/cream colored dinner plates that I've collected over the years from different sources.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Is there a restaurant supply store near you? They can be good source.

• sandra_zone6
    12 years ago

I have Mikasa Antique White; they are lightweight, but wear like iron. Simple, classic design. No chips, no knife marks, you really have to work hard to break a plate. I've had mine for about 5 years now, we are a family of 5, have broken one plate that ended up underneath my son and his skateboard.

• xantippe
    12 years ago

I've had the Aspen dinnerware (from Crate and Barrel) about 3 years now, and LOVE IT! It never chips or scratches, even when I have (horrors!) banged it accidentally on the faucet or edge of the counter, it hasn't broken.

What I also like is that you can buy pieces individually, so you can add more or different pieces (we have two kinds of bowls, and could have two kinds of mugs if we chose).

Also, it is a "generic" white, so I can add in pieces from Target or Homegoods when I like.

One other note, I have some Palms pieces from Homegoods, and they do chip. Grrr.