Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need Updated Color for Navaho White Walls

Posted by passport4vicki (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 30, 12 at 16:13

I just painted the master bedroom Fairway Oaks (BM1075) and the master bathroom Greyhound (BM1579). Now the hallway and stairway walls look so bland! I painted them about 12 years ago in Navaho White, so it�s time for an update! Any suggestions for a warm, neutral color that�s not too dark?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need Updated Color for Navaho White Walls

I personally prefer uniformity, so would use one of the two colors, rather than going with a 3rd color. Maybe the choice should be the FO, allowing the bathroom to be it's own separate space.

o

Oops, I should clarify. The bathroom if off the master bedroom, so that color isn't important.
The space I want to update is the wall that begins in the entryway downstairs, that wall continues up the stairs to the hallway that leads to the bedrooms.

I want to find a neutral beige color to replace the Navaho White walls. Probably more important is the carpet color: Fabrica Powerpoint Caro Gold (see link)
Thanks!
Vicki

Here is a link that might be useful: Carpet Color

o

Vicki, I absolutely love your carpeting! Is it classified as a Berber? I'll probably be needing carpeting in a few years(house is 4 years old/builders grade carpeting)and will definitely consider it.

I've had NW walls in the past in a couple of homes~it's more of an ivory/cream, and i'm sure doesn't compliment your carpeting in the least. I would consider a warm tan, something with a gold hue, but not gold per se.

I can't specify a particular color as monitors are never 'true', but you can make comparisons w/paint card samples. If anything, go a shade or two darker, rather than lighter, but try to maintain a bit of the gold coloring in the tan. A warm tan rather than a cool tan is what i'm visualizing.

o

We had Navajo White in our home for several years. In our home it had a yellow look to it. A few years ago, I painted everything Revere Pewter and like it a lot. Another color that you may want to consider is BM Manchester Tan.

In the photo below, I had not yet completed painting and took this picture to show the difference between RP (on the left) and NW (on the right).

Revere Pewter (left), Navajo White (right)
Revere Pewter left/Navajo White right

Revere Pewter
BM Revere Pewter

Manchester Tan
BM Manchester Tan

o

We found a light tan we really love--used it in house we live in, the house we own and had rented out and are now selling, and in rooms in the vacation house we bought in FL...
It is called Arizona Heat--think it is Kelly Moore--
we had hardest time finding paint to go in our current house 4 yrs ago--it had to go with the darker taupe/beige trim, several different flooring types, and our furniture...Went though so many sample colors and finally our painter came up with it...
In our house it looks neutral light beige...but in FL house which has more natural light and different flooring, it has more yellow tint to it...

Not a color that gets lot of mention--but it is my go-to color
Also used Barbados Sands --BM--in FL house--pretty neutral light beige--almost too light in rooms with lot of window light...

Your rooms and their lighting, flooring, other color touches make lot of difference in your color choice...
even your trim color==some colors don't work with trim that is creamy vs white...
and you have lot of wall space so walls will reflect different color values...
get some display cardboard and paint your top 3 color choices on them
then put in various places where you will paint...check during day and night and see which ones you like...

o

Thanks for your suggestions! Yes, my NW does looks like the picture you showed - a bit yellow. Some areas get lots of natural light (front entry) and the rest is a bit dim. I will check out all your suggestions.

Thankfully OSH has BM paint samples on sale right now: B1G1 quart size! I am hoping to narrow it down to 2 colors to sample and get painting!

o

choosing paint colors are so frustrating to me--not only narrowing down all the choices but the fact that the paint's name often is in direct contract to its actual color...
Navajo White really isn't...for example...
And each person's room setting is very important because of its own lighting...color is just solidified light to certain extent ...
Maybe I am not good judge of color/tints because I don't always agree with others about the subtle tones in some paints...
tan/beige can have pink, yellow, green, gray tints to it...

Because of having that stairwall to paint you are likely getting painters in--
what about your trim?
Getting it done too?

o

Hah! I think thats the same carpet I chose for my BR and guest room, but I think mine is more gold....

I'd take a look at BM pearl harbor...I used that a lot in my house and get a lot of compliments on it...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Decorating & Design Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here