Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
saltnpeppa

Barn Living??

saltnpeppa
9 years ago

Has anyone thought of converting an old barn into a home?

This is a appr 50X50 double walled cypress barn with hay loft and metal roof. Garage doors at the end, 18x18, that I can just see as steel windows/doors. Hayloft as masterbed/bath area.

Any ideas/pictures/floorplans?

Comments (12)

• maire_cate
    9 years ago

This Old House had a couple of episodes where they converted a barn into a home or attached a barn to a home and converted it into additional living space. You could check their web site to see if you can stream any of those shows. The link below is an article from their web site which gives an overview of the process and lists a few sources at the end.

We have a vacation home in NE PA and the family who purchased the acreage next to ours live in a converted barn. They purchased a dismantled barn in central PA and then had it delivered to their land and a local contractor erected it. It's beautiful.

Here is a link that might be useful: T.O.H.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

Old barns, so long as they're structurally sound, make GREAT houses. My house was built from two farm outbuildings, from a dairy farm in 1888. One of them was some kind of small storage barn. It is sturdy as a rock, thick walls with beams, not joists,so deep window sills. The little chicken window near the ceiling is still there, as is the beam that was used to joist bales of hay, presumably.

Next door, my neighbors' house was the HUGE dairy barn. Their house is the bees knees. It is SO cool. And I was given a tour of someone else's house, in another town, which had also been converted into a house from a barn, a few years ago. Also, completely awesome.

Barns make gorgeous houses, if you do them right.

• User
    9 years ago

Hey! How are you!?

This blogger's house was once a barn.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Polohouse

• alex9179
    9 years ago

This blogger converted their barn to living space, attached to the original house. I visit this blog all the time even though she doesn't update regularly. Gorgeous place.

My uncle loves barns and they designed their house to look like one. Not a conversion, but very cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: For the Love of a House

• lazy_gardens
    9 years ago

Someone did ... my parents bought it in the late 1940s. It was a smallish barn, originally, and when their house burned the owners booted out the cows and built a house.

It was pretty much an "American Foursquare" after the initial renovation, and my parents took advantage of the barn beam structure in the mid 1950s and opened out 3/4 of the downstairs into a huge LR/DR

• User
    9 years ago

Oops, Alex linked to the one I was thinking.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Lots of old stone barns in PA have been converted. My best friend growing up lived in a converted Revolutionary barn. Very cool. The stalls were retained in the lowest level (it was built on a hill, so several levels). It was quirky on the bedroom level with a bridge connecting different sections (old hay loft?). When the house was sold after her parents died, the new folks completely redid. More modern now and lots of folks hate the changes, but I still like it.

• saltnpeppa
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your replies.
    I feel kinda crazy for even considering it!!

I love that blog that was linked.

Hey Shee!! I lurk every now and then & see you have a lil one!! :)
    It seems like I have all these ideas but when I try to put them out on paper - I just come up blank for a floorplan. So frustrating cuz the options are endless & I don't want to make a mistake.

Thanks!!

• ophelia7
    9 years ago

I think you are not an exception :D

Here is a link that might be useful: barn to house ideas

• arcy_gw
    9 years ago

The TOH Barns shows are very old. They in fact did a show where they went back and visited 5? years later to see how it was all going. I am thinking barns out east are built a lot sturdier than the ones around here. As we travel we see many many collapsed barns waiting for the guys who dismantle and sell the wood to crafters.

• User
    9 years ago

Quite the little ham. :)

Well it sounds like you're diving into a big project. I've always enjoyed your posts and hope we'll see you back here more.

• madeyna
    9 years ago

One of my horses tried to come in the house last night so I don,t see any reason why it wouldn,t work the other way around.;) Good luck it sounds like a fun project.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH