Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
monicakm1

A Shower Curtain or No?

monicakm_gw
9 years ago

I know they're fairly out of style. DH's bathroom remodel will include a tub/shower combo. He doesn't shower but we want to keep a combo "just in case" someone needs to shower. I've had a shower curtain up for years but mostly to just hide the tub area. With a new tub and tile surround, that won't be necessary, but, would you put one up anyway and just keep it pushed back? Looks kinda "nekkid" without one but that might be because I'm so used to seeing one. Seems to add a touch of softness to the room.
Thanks

Comments (21)

• louislinus
    9 years ago

I love shower curtains. In fact I just removed shower doors in two of our bathrooms and replaced them with curtains.

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I also like a shower curtain because I love fabric! With the shower/tub combo, I would do one.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I am also a shower curtain proponent. I don't care for the glass surrounds.

They're making such nice shower curtains now, too, that they actually add to the decor of a bathroom, IMO. I have a simple ivory linen curtain from RH. Simple, but elegant.

• maddielee
    9 years ago

What do you mean he doesn't shower? Ever? How does he wash his hair?

Sorry, but I don't know any men who don't shower.

Yes, hang a shower curtain. The fabric will help with the acoustics of a tiled room.

ML

• bbstx
    9 years ago

I would go ahead and put up the shower curtain now. It will be ready for whenever you need it. And having the rod up but no curtain on it looks strange. I know, because I grew up in a house with rod but no curtain. Mom didn't want us showering in that bathroom. She wanted to make sure we used the bathroom with a shower stall for showering.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Perhaps just keep a tension rod and curtain in storage for the "just in case" occasions? We removed glass sliders from the tub shower combo when our first kid was born and never put them back. He's now 9 and still prefers a bath -- washes hair with the hand shower. We had the tension rod and curtain in a closet and brought them out for adult visitors who wanted to shower in that bathroom.

What does your DH think, since it is his bath?

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

I love shower curtains, as well! Find something simple and leave it pushed to one side.

Maddielee, I don't understand your question about how he washes his hair. Have you never washed your hair in a tub? I do it all the time. In fact, with my really long and thick hair, dunking in the tub seems to be easiest way to get it fully clean and rinsed out.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

I know a family that grew up in an old house that only had a tub, no shower. The teenagers would often wash their hair in the sink in the laundry room. It was a nice sink. I know that many of them still like taking baths instead of showers.

I like curtains as they add some softness to a room with hard surfaces.

This post was edited by debrak2008 on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 18:57

• peegee
    9 years ago

Another shower curtain lover here. A few years back I switched to fabric ones which don't require liners, and I love, love, love not having the big sheet of plastic hanging in the bathroom!

• Annie Deighnaugh
    9 years ago

There's so little opportunity to add softness to a bathroom, so if you can use a shower curtain, do so...it can add pattern and color too.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

I like them for the fabric component in a room that can be quite stark or "hard" with all of the tile. Fabrics add dimension and a feeling of comfort to a room.

When we redo our MBA shower area, I'm not using glass doors. We're going to use a ceiling mounted curtain track for our corner shower. There are a variety of reasons, but the ease of cleaning (washing machine) and the softness/texture of fabric are at the top of the list.

• maddie260
    9 years ago

LOVE shower curtains! Removed glasses and put in shower curtains!

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, I guess the shower curtain is alive and well ð Thanks all! My husband stopped showering about 10 years ago. He likes/needs to soak and read his Kindle. He uses the handheld shower to wash his hair. Ii been brainwashed to think everyone had ginormous showers with glass enclosures ðÂÂÂ
    Monica

• pricklypearcactus
    9 years ago

I put a shower curtain in a newly remodeled bathroom with a tub/shower combo. I use some ribbon to tie it back most of the time since the bathroom is mostly used as a powder room and for baths (very few showers). I don't think they're dated and I think they can add some very lovely softness/fabric to the harsh hard surfaces of a bathroom.

• monicakm_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I love the idea of it hanging from the ceiling too! Is it attached to some crown molding? We're probably going with a wood ceiling tho and my husband mentioned he'd like to have the curved shower rod.

Now to keep the shower curtain "manly" with a pop of color. I want to use some red in this mostly dark bathroom. The curtain will be pushed to the end and tied back (maybe with something like burlap or rope). Drawer hardware is a Texas star venetian bronze (with a bit of rust). The light fixture has Texas stars. Cabinet turned out a bit more red than the inspiration door. Haven't looked at paint or tub surround tile yet.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    9 years ago

Until I had kids, I always took baths as well,. Then, when I had newborns, it was a big deal to steal away to take a quick shower, and I became a convert to the shower.

We built three new shower stalls in the beach house, and put shower curtains on all of them. I just prefer them for a vintage look. I did have the stalls built in such a way that we can add doors if I end up deciding it was daft. For now, I really like the opportunity to add that design element to the room.

• bbstx
    9 years ago

Cool! I did a "cowboy" bathroom once. My drawer pulls were boots. My walls were Farrell Calhoun "Graceful Gold." FC is a regional paint company so you may not be able to find it. I liked it a lot. Despite its name, it was a khaki with a greenish undertone. It looked good with red. think it would go with your shower curtain.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

Monica, it's mounted to the ceiling and the hardware that holds the curtain slides along the track. The track can also be recessed into the drywall. You don't need to use the chains but maybe they have some with a Texas star. ;) You can also hang it on hooks. TRAX is one brand.

• alex9179
    9 years ago

The company may_flowers mentioned is the one we're going with, I think.

They do custom lengths for a variety of shapes. Look at the D or Neoangle, which may give you the bow your husband likes.

They can be recessed into a ceiling, mounted directly on, or hidden by moulding like the picture above. I want mine recessed, but we'll see as our budget is very small and I'm uncertain if who we hire will be able to do it well.

I JUST linked this same page a minute ago in the Bathrooms forum. I swear I don't work for them. If I did I'd have my own pic to show, lol!

Here is a link that might be useful: Custom ceiling track

• Happyladi
    9 years ago

My 24 year old son doesn't like showers either! He takes a bath every morning and uses a cup to rinse his short hair.

At college he just had a shower so I figured he would learn to prefer them there, but he didn't. He's just always bathed if he could.