Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mom2sethc_gw

B/W Tile Floor - Grout color?

mom2sethc
15 years ago

Hello,

We are putting in a vintage looking tile floor in our son's bathroom, white octagon with a black dot. What color grout would be best? I've heard gray and I've heard white. I'm leary of white looking gray eventually, so why not start with gray? Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Elaine

Comments (17)

• phoggie
    15 years ago

I would do dark gray....white will get dirty soon...and it is so hard to keep it looking good...although it would be pretty.

• valley57
    15 years ago

We have a similar floor in our entry and we went with black grout. I love the look and it looks as good today as it did when we put it down about 10 years ago.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

We used Mapei brand in Alabaster, from Lowe's. It's a grey with no blue undertones. Be careful when picking gray that you don't get undertones you don't want.

• deltabreeze
    15 years ago

My theory of grout is that any place that gets wet will eventually have grout dark. You could decide to have dark grout now -- or a couple years from now. Either way, it will happen.

• luthien
    15 years ago

definitely black. practical yet dramatic.

• mom2sethc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Valley57 - do you have a pic of your floor with the black grout?
    Sounds like gray or black is the way to go. We do plan to seal the grout either way. Our water is city water. The walls in the room are a blue/gray.

Elaine

• phyl345
    15 years ago

black grout in my white-tiled kitchen ~~ black grout in my white-tiled foyer ~~ black grout in white-tiled master bath & also guest bathroom ~~ i LOVE black grout (grin) ~~ phyl

• kgwlisa
    15 years ago

I used octagon and dot tile and grey grout. The only picture I have that shows it well is an unfinished pic so don't mind what a disaster the rest is. I was several months pregnant with no toilet on the floor of my bedroom and this was a "get enough tile down to install the toilet" effort. It's mapei warm gray grout.

• valley57
    15 years ago

This is our entry foyer with the white tile and black squares and grout. We are very pleased with the look and how it has held up--it looks no different then the day it was laid.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• mom2sethc
    Original Author
    15 years ago

kgwLisa - that is the same tile that I am getting. The gray grout looks good!

Valley57 - thanks for the pic! I'm going to the tile store tomorrow to compare grouts and pick one.

Thanks!!

Elaine

• dmarphis_marphis_com
    15 years ago

Does anyone have pics of white tile w/ black grout? Thank you.

• harmon_2008
    15 years ago

One thing to keep in mind when selecting your grout colors is the ease of cleaning. Certain colors are more difficult to clean than others. As a general rule of thumb, where ease of cleaning is concerned, try to steer clear of prime colors like red or green - and black too. These colors are well known for being difficult to clean.
    One thing to consider when selecting grout for light colored tiles - try to avoid grout colors that are white, or close to white. These light colored shades are also difficult to keep clean for obvious reasons. As an alternative to matching light colored tiles, consider such grout colors as light browns, tans, or shades of gray. In addition to being less difficult to clean, these colors are lass prone to discoloration or yellowing over the lifetime of the tile and grout.
    for other information you can check Ciciliot site.

• phyl345
    15 years ago

denise ~~ i have white tile with black grout in the kitchen, two bathrooms, & the foyer ~~ at the moment, this was the only picture i could find that was already in photobucket ~~

it is from last christmas (my *turquoise christmas!) ~ it shows a part of the foyer leading into the living room ~~

i know i have a lot more pictures; if you would like to see one with more of the floor showing; just say the word ~~ i LOVE the black grout!

phyl

• prairiegirlz5
    15 years ago

mom2sethc & kgwlisa~I LOVE that tile! Please share details, I want that!!

This will be my 2nd attempt at the small bathroom on the first floor. It's only 5 x 4', and that's rounding up, lol. If we take out the tub, that will give us 2.5' more floor space; I posted that quandary on another thread. Do you think I should make a border, or would that make the room look smaller?

Originally, I used 8 x 8" matte gray squares with white grout, needless to say, it's hideous. Never use white grout!

• susanlynn2012
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for letting me know to never use white grout. Also I love the black grout with the black and white tiles and even the gray grout that has the thinnest grout line with the small adorable tiles. Thanks for sharing.

• lauren674
    15 years ago

I may be a little too late for you on this, but we recently used Smoke Grey Laticrete for our white hex tile floor with black accents (also used it with the subway tile on the walls).

Here is a picture: