Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jencox_gw

Do you put Area Rugs over carpet?

jencox
15 years ago

Our carpet is fairly new in our living room and it's the short shag...can I put a rug, like 5 foot by 8 foot in our living room for decoration purpose only? Like under our coffee table? Seems like I only see them on hardwood floors...can I see pictures of your rugs on carpet flooring if you have any ??

Jennifer

Comments (17)

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Yes! I think it's a nice accent. While I have all hardwoods in my current home, I had carpeting in my previous home and here's a shot of the den, where I put a 4x6 rug under the coffee table (on top of the carpeted area). It worked nicely.

{{!gwi}}

• ideamom
    15 years ago

Years ago it was thought of as a no no to put a rug on top of carpet but no longer! We own a custom rug business & can tell you that we have had alot of customers have us make custom rugs that go on top of their wall to wall carpet. I also just heard a designer on HGTV a couple days ago say not to be afraid of adding rugs on top of carpet. He said it adds color & texture & more interest to the room. Here are a few photos of rugs on top of carpet.

This is one we did for a customer.

Here's another we did for that same customer.

Here is one we made for a customer for her baby nursery.

Here is a rug we made for our daughter's bedroom.

Just made this simple rug for our oldest daughter. It blends in with the wall to wall carpet as we didn't want this rug to compete with the bedding. I do think this rug would look best on wood flooring though. Someday we will have hard wood floors.

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Yep, they're all over my house. I have 2 large & one small (4x6) in the FR, a 9x12 in the LR, and two 6 x 9's in the MBR.......all on carpet. I just view the carpet as a background and I make sure the colors in the rug don't clash with the carpet.

Be sure to use the correct padding for rugs on carpet.

I'll have to snap some pics.........

• loverugs
    15 years ago

Love the pics!

Don't forget those of us who live in apartments with the boring grey or beige wall to wall carpeting. Ugh! It's a great way to add texture and dimension to a room.

I wouldn't limit it to the bedroom, but my daughter's each have soft shag rugs in their rooms. Their friends are always sitting on the floor.

Here is a link that might be useful: Import Flooring

• kswl2
    15 years ago

What beautiful rugs, ideamom! I'm really impressed at the design and execution!

• annzgw
    15 years ago

Yep, they're all over my house. I have 2 large & one small (4x6) in the FR, a 9x12 in the LR, and two 6 x 9's in the MBR.......all on carpet. I just view the carpet as a background and I make sure the colors in the rug don't clash with the carpet.

Be sure to use the correct padding for rugs on carpet.

I'll have to snap some pics.........

• laurience
    15 years ago

Great question, I was wondering the same thing.

joanne

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Do you have to put pads under an area rug? Figured the wall to wall was good enough padding. I have 1/2" pad under my wall to wall. To answer OP's question, I use area rugs in my house to "anchor" the furniture, add some pattern/texture (in my living room, I'll post pics once I get furniture back in, had ceiling painted today). I also use one in my family room to anchor and define the "conversation area" since our breakfast nook is tucked into a corner of that room (also have round area rug under round breakfast table, it's too small but it keeps stains off the WTW carpet!).

• annzgw
    15 years ago

If furniture is sitting on the rug the padding helps prevent the rug from being compressed into the soft carpet padding underneath.
    Even if that weren't the case, I like the look that pads give the rugs. They just seem to have more substance, for lack of a better description! :)

Most of my pads are a thick felt (can't find them anymore) but all my newer rugs are on Dura Grip pads. They prevent the rug from 'walking' across the carpet.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Not trying to totally highjack this thread, but I do have a related question. My rugs are on hardwoods and I don't have pads underneath. I think I need pads. Where's the best place to buy them, and what's the preferred type?

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Aunt jen - oriental rug place that just cleaned my rug said for handknotted wool rug, don't need pad (at least I didn't under my dining room table, you might if slipping is a concern). They did tell me the carpet would last longer if I used a pad, tried to sell me (for 8x10 rug) a pad made of compressed felt, saying it wouldn't scratch. But it was $120. Stay away from latex that might stick to your hardwoods. Maybe the same type of pad as used under WTW (chopped something?) would work?

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Hmmm, so maybe I don't need one after all? My rugs are wool (although I'm not sure they're handknotted), and slippage is not a concern as they're underneath pretty heavy pieces of furniture. I'm not even sure why I thought I probably needed pads -- must've read it on one of the many rug seller's sites that I've perused over the past few months. I certainly don't want to spend $100+. Heck, one of my (Craig's List) rugs only cost $120, and I'd hate to spend that for a pad. Thanks for the input!

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

If you can see the pattern on the underside of the rug (just little loops like needlepoint) then it's handknotted. If there is some kind of canvas or latex backing, then it's machine-made and you should use a pad.

• 2ajsmama
    15 years ago

Oh, and if it has fringe, it's probably hand made.

• IdaClaire
    15 years ago

Thanks! Based upon your description, I do believe that mine are hand-knotted.

• valerieshisler_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

Can an area rug cover most of your living room rug? I have one under my coffee table, but would like a bigger one will the coffee table make it look off balanced?

• Peechuz_cox_net
    13 years ago

A side question here, actually two. We live in an apartment and I've always purchased throw rugs for our place. These throw rugs have a rubber backing but am constantly having to bend over and straighten them out (excessive bending with a bad back). Does anyone have any suggestions as to what type of rugs to purchase to avoid this?

Also, am looking for a simple hall runner rug (not really looking for style, just trying to keep the carpet in pristine shape). Need a max dimension if 3' by 20'. Having a hard time finding locally on Orange County/California. Any thoughts from you all? Thanks much!

Sponsored
Suzan Meredith Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Ashburn's Innovative Interior Designers 2x Best of Houzz Winner